Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Be Kind Rewind

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Be Kind Rewind Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Be Kind Rewind - 18/2/2008 1:50:01 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 18/2/2008 1:50:01 PM   
steelneil

Agreed this film is undoubtedly messy. But i defy anyone to watch it and not leave the cinema with a grin from ear to ear. In much the same way as Juno I was unsure at first, but the film totally won me over.

The level of invention on show is, as always with Michel Gondry, quite phenomenal. In particular, skits on Apocalypse Now and Men in Black will have you in stitches. The movie works as a film to appeal to film-lovers, displaying the effect film can have on a community without resorting to pretention or cloying sentimentality.

Overall, a film i'd watch again and again.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 18/2/2008 1:50:20 PM   
steelneil

Agreed this film is undoubtedly messy. But i defy anyone to watch it and not leave the cinema with a grin from ear to ear. In much the same way as Juno I was unsure at first, but the film totally won me over.

The level of invention on show is, as always with Michel Gondry, quite phenomenal. In particular, skits on Apocalypse Now and Men in Black will have you in stitches. The movie works as a film to appeal to film-lovers, displaying the effect film can have on a community without resorting to pretention or cloying sentimentality.

Overall, a film i'd watch again and again.

Post #: 3
RE: - 19/2/2008 1:19:26 AM   
badassmofo

Didnt remember the Apocalypse Now bit and I only finished watching it 2 hours ago!

A real disapointment to be honest. Gondry's visual panache is as great as ever, the montage of the films being remade and the effects of Blacks magnetism are handled excellently. The score is also rather nice and Mos Def is a charming presence.

However, the screenplay is shambolic, almost as much as Science Of Sleep. The plot has some huge holes, some threads just go nowhere and the films main thrust is removed with 20 minutes to go with nothing but a far too sweet message to sustain us. After the inventiveness and surrealism shown before it is a shame the film goes down what is a nice, but really rather boring route. The film also stops rather suddenly, my friend and myself were expecting 10 more minutes to finish but it feels as if Gondry just gave up. Its a toss up between a 2 or 3 out of 5 for me but I think it is still worth seeing, especially those on this forum, but it should have been a belter. If Gondry could go back to directing scripts written by others it could do him the world of good.

You just got killed by a Daewoo Lamos motherfucker - Best line of 2008

Cinerama - News, reviews, features and listener feedback every week by your Empire Online friend badassmofo! (I sound like a non-badassmofo I know...) On iTunes or cinerama.jellycast.com

(in reply to steelneil)
Post #: 4
Fast forward through the beggining and you have a good ... - 20/2/2008 8:49:57 PM   
02PARSIM

Remember the days when the VHS dominated the market, the days you had to sit for ages rewinding or fast forwarding the damned things just to find the moment in the film you wanted. I know it seems like a lifetime ago, DVD quickly saw an end to that tedious routine. However, there is still something nice about a VHS, I don't know what it is but it just feels a bit more homely. That's the way that Be Kind Rewind seems to have gone, sure it isn't as nice looking, it isn't as memorable, and hell it even gets a bit tedious after a while, but it has a nice feel to it. Be Kind Rewind in essence appears to be nothing more than a string of amateur movie clips strung together by a plot, that's what the trailers make it out to be. But when you watch the film and you peel back the surface you find something more, a good natured storyline that actually is genuinely heart warming. Unfortunately however the movie takes a while for an humour or heart warming to kick in. The film for at least twenty five minutes verges on boring. But once you get past the dull part, and the movie remakes kick in the movie just becomes hilarious, and when the movies true moral kicks in at the end, despite it at times feeling forced, the movie at least does seem to suck you in still. The performances are pretty top notch and the script is witty. Sure it is not even in the same league as Gondry's Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but the movie is well written and will leave you feeling that little bit warmer inside once you leave the cinema.

Post #: 5
RE: Fast forward through the beggining and you have a g... - 21/2/2008 8:37:08 AM   
Lightfoot

Be Kind Rewind

Thus my Law of Inverse Trailer Goodness is proved once again. Great trailer, shite movie.

Nah, shite's harsh. But it's the most inconsistent movie I've seen for a while. The first third is nigh-unbearable: plain stupid, and has Def and Jack Black just screaming over each other in a vastly irritating manner. Then it gets quite funny at times as they work through their catalogue, "sweding" each film by making a home movie version. Then it gets crap, then ok, then crap again, and finally finishes with a thoroughly warming touch of nostalgia.

But don't get me wrong: when it's shit, it's really shit, and when it's good, it's merely ok. It's really a variety show extended skit idea that's been stretched into a movie.

2.5/5

Has none of the feeling of Eternal Sunshine.

(in reply to 02PARSIM)
Post #: 6
RE: Fast forward through the beggining and you have a g... - 21/2/2008 7:06:04 PM   
Wilbert

I really enjoyed this. There is a lot wrong with it but it has heart and thats an ingredient thats very rare in movies. I thought it was one of the sweetest films I've seen in a while and I did leave grinning from ear-to-ear.
Far from perfect but with so much visual invention and imagination onscreen as well as plenty of laugh out loud moments, perfection is not the point.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Lightfoot)
Post #: 7
RE: Fast forward through the beggining and you have a g... - 21/2/2008 7:32:32 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lightfoot

Be Kind Rewind

Thus my Law of Inverse Trailer Goodness is proved once again. Great trailer, shite movie.

Nah, shite's harsh. But it's the most inconsistent movie I've seen for a while. The first third is nigh-unbearable: plain stupid, and has Def and Jack Black just screaming over each other in a vastly irritating manner. Then it gets quite funny at times as they work through their catalogue, "sweding" each film by making a home movie version. Then it gets crap, then ok, then crap again, and finally finishes with a thoroughly warming touch of nostalgia.

But don't get me wrong: when it's shit, it's really shit, and when it's good, it's merely ok. It's really a variety show extended skit idea that's been stretched into a movie.

2.5/5

Has none of the feeling of Eternal Sunshine.

I'd agree with this pretty much word for word.

(in reply to Lightfoot)
Post #: 8
Be Kind Rewind - 21/2/2008 9:51:40 PM   
Indio

Thought it was pretty dreadful, easily Gondry's worst film, and it seemed to go on forever .

Basically, if you've seen the trailer, you don't need to see the film (unless you're a major fan of Fats Waller). You'd be better off watching some pissed up renditions of your favourite films on Youtube and then Cinema Paradiso than wasting 100 minutes watching this.

I thought The Science Of Sleep wasn't up to much after Eternal Sunshine but its still a lot better than Be Kind, I just hope the laws of diminishing returns haven't set in for Michel Gondry.

Probably the only good thing about the film was Danny Glover, he's not seen enough on the screen these days.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Lightfoot)
Post #: 9
RE: Be Kind Rewind - 22/2/2008 9:49:22 AM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Indio

Probably the only good thing about the film was Danny Glover, he's not seen enough on the screen these days.

He's gettin too old for this shit.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 10
Sweetly charming! - 22/2/2008 3:51:07 PM   
dja_list

I thought this film would be awful, but maybe thats is why i thought it was charming! Yes, its a bit silly but the idea is original and Mos Def and Jack Black work very well together. This is very light hearted and if your in the mood for a silly but enjoyable film you won't be disappointed.

Post #: 11
- 23/2/2008 11:52:12 AM   
captain jack harknes

Been excited about this for a while but felt a bit deflated after it. I'm just not too sure what to make of it, it seemed a bit all over the place - it went from the ridiculous (the electrocution); to laugh out loud funny (the movie making); to 'what the hell is that about' (aspirin overdose); to gushy sentimentality (the ending). Just seemed a bit hit-and-miss to me; like a series of set pieces that don't really gel together quite right. The people I was watching it with groaned when it ended as they were expecting some kind of twist that would allow them to keep the shop rather than it just ending on some bizarre outpouring of community spirit. I'm gonna give it 3 stars mainly just for the movie montage and the re-making ghostbusters part!!

Post #: 12
- 23/2/2008 12:59:26 PM  1 votes
damiyann2

I havn't seen it yet but i'm going to tentatively give it 2 stars.

Post #: 13
Be Kind Rewind - 23/2/2008 4:27:38 PM   
moviemaniac2

Be Kind Rewind's running gags will get all the laughs they deserve - the re-enactments of Robocop, Driving Miss Daisy, Rush Hour 2 and Ghostbusters are nothing short of hilarious. Def and Black make for an amiable partnership . Be Kind Rewind just might be a little bit twee and unrealistic, and eventually runs out of steam. But it was still better than Gondry's last film Science Of Sleep.

Post #: 14
Film of the week????? - 25/2/2008 1:06:59 AM   
stestecamara

How can Empire call Be Kind Rewind the film of the week if when they themselves gave Waz and higher rating? Madness!!!

< Message edited by stestecamara -- 25/2/2008 1:10:38 AM >

Post #: 15
RE: damiyann2 - 25/2/2008 1:12:08 AM   
stestecamara

damiyann2:

How can you give a movie a rating before you've seen it? Are you f***ing thick?

< Message edited by stestecamara -- 25/2/2008 1:14:01 AM >

(in reply to damiyann2)
Post #: 16
RE: damiyann2 - 25/2/2008 6:19:08 PM   
Marvel_79

For the first time in two years I walked out of a movie, this was awful. I give one point for the Ghostbusters bit the rest was so tedious and annoying that I couldn't stand anymore and left, terrible acting (Which is a shame because I love Danny Glover and like Jack Black) so over the top it's untrue, completely unfunny, the movie remakes were flashed through at such a pace rendering them pointless. Just awful

1/10

(in reply to stestecamara)
Post #: 17
RE: damiyann2 - 25/2/2008 7:16:24 PM   
adambatman82

i really enjoyed this, it had that charm and daft premise of so many of the films of my childhood. so what if it had plot holes etc, i dont think realism was the focus here, and its good to see a talent like gondry working within the studio system and getting his unique look at the world out to the average person.

(in reply to Marvel_79)
Post #: 18
- 26/2/2008 7:07:32 PM   
cluesy

i might be being a bit harsh giveing this just two stars but to be honest, after you get past the whole sensation that they're recreating some nostalgic memories (well i'm not very old so rush hour 2 counts for me) the film doesn't have any plot or make much sense. mos def is always likeable though, just a shame there aren't enough jokes.

Post #: 19
A nice idea - 27/2/2008 2:01:41 PM   
lewey T

FUNNY IN PLACES BUT NOT THE BEST OF JACK BLACK'S FILMS

Post #: 20
A nice idea - 27/2/2008 2:01:42 PM   
lewey T

FUNNY IN PLACES BUT NOT THE BEST OF JACK BLACK'S FILMS

Post #: 21
RE: A nice idea - 27/2/2008 4:58:48 PM   
skeletonjack

Spoilers

A watchable and fairly likeable comedy that I feel would have been so much better if they'd cut off or changed the "lets make the Fats Waller documentary" ending.That ending tainted the film a bit for me as it went off in a direction I didn't want it to. 2.5 stars

(in reply to lewey T)
Post #: 22
RE: A nice idea - 28/2/2008 11:07:13 AM   
Filmfan 2

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and Michel Gondry continues to show what an innovative talent he is. Sure, it's pacing was all over the place at times, but it was a pleasure to watch, and it as a real fan of cinema, it struck a chord.

7.5/10

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 23
A good kids movie-made for adult?? - 28/2/2008 3:11:25 PM   
cobolt_blue

I was not sure what to expect from this movie, the concept of remaking films that have made us all smile over the years could have been a heart tugging bit of self indulgent fun. But on all but a few occasions this movie failed to inspire a response from both myself and the rest of the audience. A slightly insane performance from Jack Black smacks of a man on his way out desperately trying to steel the show. On a positive note I was pleasantly surprised by Mos Def’s performance and a sound track that far outclassed the movie.

If this movie had been aimed at children it would have faired much better…….

Post #: 24
RE: A good kids movie-made for adult?? - 28/2/2008 5:53:12 PM   
TrendMeUp

I'm afraid I must stand up for this film. Yes the plot was implausible and they played on Jack Black's Jack Blackness too much, but I came out of the cinema with nothing but admiration for Gondy and the film. Not only was it so refreshingly different to anything else at the cinema right now, the film was often absolutely hilarious and combined the comedy with old fashioned heart. Mos Def was excellent and it's certainly a film I could watch and enjoy again.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to cobolt_blue)
Post #: 25
not enough to it - 28/2/2008 7:00:42 PM   
bretty

neither funny enough,or feel good enough. Good idea in there somewhere, but not enough of either.

Post #: 26
SO WHO SAID THIS WAS RUBBISH! - 2/3/2008 12:49:43 PM   
tomhemingwaycom

Everone was really harsh on be kind rewind. The beginning is a slow run-through of the plot which has maybe 1 or 2 funny lines or moments in. You feel as if the film is never going to take off but once they start to suede the films things really get going and you have the funniest 30 minutes of cinema you could see this year. Some of the greatest suedes are Ghostbusters, Rush Hour 2, King Kong and a very clever one of Men in Black. The only problem is some of the characters. Mos Def is so boring you don't even believe the character would exist but Jack Black's Jerry is so quirky he could just be human. But once the movie lingers for too long on certain plot points, it shows that it breaks down from quirky and crazy to emotional and quite moving which just takes away the lightness of the movie leaving you with a middle of the road film on the whole.

Post #: 27
SO WHO SAID THIS WAS RUBBISH! - 2/3/2008 12:49:43 PM   
tomhemingwaycom

Everone was really harsh on be kind rewind. The beginning is a slow run-through of the plot which has maybe 1 or 2 funny lines or moments in. You feel as if the film is never going to take off but once they start to suede the films things really get going and you have the funniest 30 minutes of cinema you could see this year. Some of the greatest suedes are Ghostbusters, Rush Hour 2, King Kong and a very clever one of Men in Black. The only problem is some of the characters. Mos Def is so boring you don't even believe the character would exist but Jack Black's Jerry is so quirky he could just be human. But once the movie lingers for too long on certain plot points, it shows that it breaks down from quirky and crazy to emotional and quite moving which just takes away the lightness of the movie leaving you with a middle of the road film on the whole.

Post #: 28
didn't really make sense - 2/3/2008 3:27:19 PM   
udjifudgi

The funniest bits were the sweding parts, but then they decide to make their own film, which sort of destroyed the whole plot of the film. I paid to see funny spoofs of films, not some crap about a person who didnt even exist

Post #: 29
RE: didn't really make sense - 3/3/2008 1:11:10 AM   
richmiller

The film that was advertised was very diffrent to what was actually shown.
Bit of a let down as the idea was very good but all in all it was to hit and miss.

3 out of five from me

Richard Miller - director / editor
www.bodyinthebox.co.uk

(in reply to udjifudgi)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Be Kind Rewind Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI