Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Today I saw the extra's from .......

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 14/6/2010 1:14:26 AM   
Gram123

Assembly
- 15-part Making Of doc, totalling about 75 mins. A little repetetive and trailer-y, but ok in the main.

The Warlords - 117 Days (Production Journal) and Reflections of The Warlords, totalling about 75 mins. Both fine, fairly interesting insight into the hardships of filming. Also, the 22 mins of deleted scenes, which would have added to the atmosphere of the film, but I guess would have slowed it down if they'd been included in the film. It looks like the Chinese and HK DVDs are uncut and close to 20 mins longer than the UK version, so I assume that version includes these scenes.

Extras RT: 122

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 16/2/2012 11:34:07 AM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Sad Professor)
Post #: 211
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 5/7/2010 1:04:58 AM   
Gram123

Ong Bak - On the back cover it boasts that this 2-disc DVD contains "over 5 hours" of extras. I've finally got through the lot, including Bey Logan commentary, 8 part Making Of doc, lots of test / training footage of Jaa and his team, interviews with 3 of the bad guys from the film (all of whom had also appeared in Jackie Chan's Medallion...), plus some promo footage, deleted scenes and so on.

It's mostly fine, if somewhat excessive in quantity. I'm beginning to wonder if any film really needs extras that last longer than the actual film (excluding commentaries)...

I wasn't aware of the fact (though now it makes perfect sense) that this release of the film does not have the original Thai score. Logan was rather defensive of the fact in his commentary, saying repeatedly how he believed it was better than the original. Whether that's true or not, I'm sure many fans of the film will be a bit pissed off that they're not getting the original soundtrack, and would it really have been such a problem to inlcude both?
At least it's not as bad as (Luc Besson's) French release, which apparently has a French hip-hop score (!) and has certain key scenes missing.

Extras RT: 123

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 16/2/2012 11:34:33 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 212
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 5/7/2010 2:03:56 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sad Professor
I watched Zodiac last week and tried to get through the girth of extras. Made it into one of the docs on the suspect but couldn't penetrate any farther.

I watched the commentaries on Zodiac back in 2008, and several months later some of the other stuff. This is what I said when I last tried to get through 'em:

quote:

Zodiac (Director's Cut) - Jeez, this is going to take me forever. Don't get me wrong, I liked the film, but there's a proper chunk of extras isn't there? I'd already sat through both commentaries, so I decided to crack on with the other bits, without realising how long they are. I watched the 54 minute Zodiac Deciphered doco, and then I quit.
Had a quick look at what I've got left to watch... Visual Effects (15 mins), Pre-Viz (9 mins), This is the Zodiac Speaking (102 mins), His Name Was (42 mins). So just another 2¾ hours in total....

And the ruddy DVD is still sitting there, taunting me with it's mass of unwatched special features...
I really try to watch all extras on everything (hence being probably the main contributor to this thread!), but certain things just don't scream "Watch me!".

The Zodiac extras are amazing - not least because a huge amount of the set is devoted to the real life story.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 213
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 14/7/2010 12:49:25 AM   
Gram123

Tokyo! - The 25 min "Interviews" section, which featured each of the 3 directors - Michel Gondry, Leos Carax and Bong Joon-ho. And the 3 Making Of docs, which were about 30 mins each. Of those, Gondry's was perhaps the most interesting, as it was interspersed with interview bits. Carax's showed Denis Lavant (the "monster" called Merde) preparing / rehearsing for scenes, and was ok, but Bong's was mainly just several takes of a couple of scenes, and was consequently pretty boring, though at least gave an insight into how meticulous a director he is.

It's been a while since I watched Tokyo!, and watching these extras reminded me that this is actually a fairly good selection of short films from some interesting directors. It happily sits alongside 3... Extremes in my DVD collection.

<EDIT: My copy is the R1. I don't know if the R2 has the same extras?>

Extras RT: 124

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 16/2/2012 11:35:17 AM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 214
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 26/7/2010 11:07:43 AM   
Gram123

Violent Cop (from this set) - The Chris D commentary. Fairly well informed and delivered in D's languid tones, but marginally annoying as he repeatedly compared parts of the film to the Dirty Harry films, making the assumption that all listeners to the commentary must have seen them. I've seen a grand total of 0 Dirty Harry films, and don't have any particular desire to...

< EDIT: One other minor irk about this commo was Chris D's pronunciation of Miike Takashi's name, when he was discussing other directors.
I'm 90% certain it's pronounced "Mee-kay" (I used to think it was just pronounced "Mike" when I was young and naïve), but this guy calls him "Mee-yah-key". Surely that's not right? >

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 26/7/2010 11:56:58 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 215
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 26/7/2010 5:50:51 PM   
Zaphod121

Listened to all the commentaries on this set the other day, all very enjoyable - it was especially interesting for me to hear the editor talk about "The Constant".

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 216
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 30/7/2010 2:22:18 PM   
theieuan

Watched the extras from The Prestige. Pretty good. Must admit haven't watched that many extras for ages. Used to make sure watched every extra on a DVD I bought

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 217
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 1/8/2010 1:06:21 AM   
Gram123

Sonatine (from this set) - The Chris D commentary. Annoyed me a little more than the one for Violent Cop, but fair enough on the whole.

Extras RT: 125

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 16/2/2012 11:35:58 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 218
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 1/8/2010 7:23:12 PM   
TheGodfather

Watched about 35 minutes of the extra`s on the Toy Story blu-ray. Nice mix of fun and informative extra`s. Still need to watch most of the extra`s thoug

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 219
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 2/8/2010 4:04:47 PM   
Ethanial

Did the I Love You Phillip Morris extras today, devastatingly limited, and the interviews are re-integrated into a 10 minute making of, so it all feels a little EPK-ish and redundant.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 220
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 4/8/2010 4:19:57 PM   
Gram123

Fulltime Killer: Behind the Scenes doc (25 mins). Consisted of snippets of interview, some behind the scenes footage and a montage of injuries and the actors messing about. Fine, but hardly thrilling.
The most interesting part was Andy Lau talking about the stunt, and footage of it being filmed, where he stood next to the train tracks with his back against the platform as a train whipped by inches from his face. Mental.

Extras RT: 126

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 16/2/2012 11:36:17 AM >

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 221
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 5/8/2010 10:20:53 AM   
Gram123

Moon Warriors:
Dynamic Duo (19 mins) - an interview with producer Mabel Cheung and writer Alex Law.
The Colour of Truth (24 mins) - an interview with cinematographer Arthur Wong.
A Tribute to Anita Mui (11 mins)- Bey Logan and pop star Helena Ma going on about Anita Mui's legacy.

The two interview pieces are fine, and all involved come across as affable and fairly interesting, particularly Arthur Wong discussing his techniques for hiding wires and body doubles etc. The tribute piece is ok, but it's a bit weird and has a slightly uncomfortable atmosphere.
Just the commo to go...

Extras RT: 127

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 16/2/2012 11:36:31 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 222
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 5/8/2010 12:12:42 PM   
jcthefirst

The excellent and extensive doc on The Thing dvd.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 223
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 22/8/2010 11:54:40 PM   
Gram123

Aguirre, The Wrath of God: Commentary with Herzog and Norman Hill, the latter basically interviewing the former as the film played. Herzog's always pretty enthusiastic and interesting, including discussion of the harsh realities of filming - living on houseboats on the Amazon river, cast members actually going over the rapids, the difficulties of keeping a horse on a raft, and some additional insight into how he dealt with the livewire Klaus Kinski (beyond Herzog's My Best Fiend doc.
More commentaries to follow from the boxset....

Extras RT: 128

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 16/2/2012 11:36:47 AM >

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 224
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 24/8/2010 10:44:23 AM   
Gram123

Nosferatu - Phantom der Nacht: 13 min Making Of doc, which is mainly footage with a few bits of Herzog and Kinski talking about the film, plus the commentary with Herzog and Norman Hill.
I've learned from these commos so far, that a) Herzog doesn't have a lot of time for researching his subjects - a few times Hill has asked him "Did you do much research?", to which the answer always seems to be "No!"; and b) he's a little too impressed with his own work.
However, it's still good, interesting and we get insights such as the fact that the (apparently) 10,000 rats were actually white lab rats that all had to have their fur dyed grey for the film, and that the mummies at the beginning of the film were all real, and Herzog himself had to carry and position them for the shot.

Extras RT: 129

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 16/2/2012 11:37:04 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 225
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 2/9/2010 1:37:53 AM   
Gram123

The Quiet Family: Commentary with director Kim Ji-woon and cast member Song Kang-ho.
We usually only get whatever extras distributors can be arsed to produce or re-subtitle for the western releases of South Korean DVDs, and this is often nothing at all. It therefore often feels (to me) like we miss out on certain Korean extras, and in particular, commentaries.
In a rare move, this UK release has the original Korean commo, complete with English subtitles, as well as a second disc with a bunch of other extras that I watched long long ago.

However, the commentary isn't exactly fantastic. For starters, it is often simply descriptive of the scenes appearing on screen. I believe this was the first commentary done by either party, so we can let them off for that to some extent.
Secondly, they often laugh at things happening in the film, and because the commo is subbed, the film is not, so we don't know exactly what they're finding so amusing.
Thirdly, and most importantly, the commo subtitles are pretty woeful. There's gaps, misspellings and dodgy translations, and you get the feeling they're saying a lot more than is appearing as text. I don't know whether it was translated by someone Korean who didn't have the best grasp of English, or, as it's a Tai Seng DVD, whether it was translated from Korean to Cantonese and then from Canto to English, and lost something along the way.
Either way, it was a bit of a dissapointment, but as I say, it's rare we get such extras, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much...

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 2/9/2010 1:39:11 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 226
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 28/9/2010 11:12:19 AM   
Gram123

Breathless: Mostly interviewy stuff including one with director / writer / star Yang Ik-joon, and one with co-star Kim Kkobbi, plus a Q&A with the director at th London Korean Film Festival and a Press Junket totalling a little over an hour. And it's all fine, giving some degree of insight into the origins of this very dark, harsh film, if ever so slightly repetetive.
There's also a cute piece in which Yang and Kim go to the Pusan International Film Festival in Rotterdam, where they're clearly chuffed to bits and having fun, plus a bit of pre-screening intro from multiple cast members in Korea, totalling another 20 mins or so.

Extras RT: 130

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 16/2/2012 11:38:35 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 227
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 29/9/2010 1:55:14 AM   
Gram123

Fitzcarraldo
: The commentary by Herzog and producer Lucki Stipetic, interviewed by Norman Hill. Tons of insight into the incidents that occurred during shooting, and expansion on some of the stuff about Kinski that was covered in My Best Fiend.

Just one more commo to go (Cobra Verde) and I'll have completed this boxset....

Extras RT: 131

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 16/2/2012 11:39:19 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 228
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 12/10/2010 3:38:26 PM   
Gram123

Cobra Verde: Commentary

She Shoots Straight: Hong Kong Heroines Gallery (clips with interviews); Battling Babes featurette; Sammo Hung Soundbite; Joyce Godenzi bio.

Extras RT: 133

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 16/2/2012 11:39:43 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 229
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 13/10/2010 9:33:06 AM   
Gram123

Moon Warriors: Commentary from Bey Logan and writer/producers Alex Law and Mabel Cheung.

Blue Spring: Commentary from Tom Mes.

Extras RT: 134

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 16/2/2012 11:39:59 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 230
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 13/10/2010 11:50:56 PM   
petecriss8000

Red Dwarf I and II, as part of my continued effort to consume all of RD in a fortnight. So far I've done the entire first two series with and without commentaries (so that's 13 episodes, technically). The cast commentaries aren't terribly interesting, really just laughing at what's happening, but the writers' commentary (only one episode, mind) was good enough to prompt me to get the later boxset that adds more from them to the remastered episodes from the first three series. Also watched the various deleted scenes, Smeg Ups, vfx shots, trailers, and listened to audiobook chapters and isolated music cues. The first two series are lumbered with crappy talking head featurettes but from III onwards they've got a 90-minute+ documentary on each series, so I'm looking forward to seeing those again, as well as series-specific features like a piece on the US pilot and lost episodes 're-assembled'.

Really the best treatment ever given to a TV series on DVD I think, and a UK one at that!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 231
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 19/10/2010 10:51:54 AM   
Gram123

Running Out of Time: Commentary with "HK film expert" Stefan Hammond and screenwriters Laurent Courtiaud and Julien Carbon.

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 232
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 22/11/2010 10:07:30 AM   
Gram123

9 Souls: Commentary from Midnight Eye's Tom Mes.

Extras RT: 135

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 16/2/2012 11:40:22 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 233
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 22/11/2010 2:00:20 PM   
Moorish

I honestly don't watch as many extras as I used to. Which is a shame, and I fear it means I'm not quite into movies as I once was as I used to be addicted. For instance, watching 'A Serious Man' the other day, and I passsed on the making of to play Black Op's.

(in reply to Chris66)
Post #: 234
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 22/11/2010 3:06:51 PM   
Gram123

As is surely obvious from this thread, I watch a fair amount of extras.
In fact, I eventually watch all the extras on all of the DVDs / BDs that I intend to keep. I don't really see the point of buying special editions otherwise. I must have watched the extras on 300-400 DVDs to date.

It can be a slog at times, cos not all of it is exactly thrilling / interesting / insightful. However, if I can't be arsed to watch a film, and there's nowt on TV, I can always stick half an hour's worth of extras on, or if I'm doing something else, I can stick a commentary on in the background, so it's not really that difficult to get through stuff. The most troublesome things are great long documentaries (given the choice between a 2 hour doc and a 2 hour film, I'll almost always go for the film), foreign language commentaries (you have to sit and read the subs, rather than getting on with other tasks) and the purely promotional stuff (telling you to watch a film you've just seen, and showing clips from it ).

Gaming's the thing that's really taken a back seat for me - the PS3 is really just there for BDs and iPlayer nowadays. I really liked COD4 - I guess that means I'm at least a couple of games behind!

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 22/11/2010 3:19:03 PM >

(in reply to Moorish)
Post #: 235
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 6/12/2010 3:53:20 PM   
Gram123

Watchmen: The extras from disc 2, totalling just over 70 mins.

- The Phenomenon: The Comic That Changed Comics
- Real Super Heroes, Real Vigilantes
- Mechanics: Technologies of a Fantastic World
- Crappy My Chemical Romance music vid

Extras RT: 136

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 16/2/2012 11:41:32 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 236
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 6/12/2010 4:29:56 PM   
pete_traynor

Inception… and they are poor! Have yet to delve into Extraction Mode but I like a good, stand alone making of Documentary too. Free soundtrack you say… lovely addition! Oh, it’s not an extra CD and I have to have my TV on displaying a blank screen to hear it. Fully animated prequel! Brilliant! But it’s not though is it… it’s the online comic in ‘motion’ with the added arm wave here and there. Calling it ‘fully animated’ is essentially a massive pile of bullshit! No features on the pre production stages with only a few pieces of concept art to see. All in, exceptionally poor. This is a film that I am pretty nuts and passionate about, like many. It was also one of the biggest hits of the year, so fans should have been rewarded with a comprehensive package for their money. Something that has been rattling around the mind of a man like Christopher Nolan for over a decade should have a meaty making of. The recent Avatar release being a good example of how you do such extras.

On that note, saw the Avatar EE extras too. Really pretty great! But Inception is a far, far superior film for me and I would rather this calibre of content for that. Poor show WB! Poor show indeed…

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 6/12/2010 4:31:18 PM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 237
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 10/12/2010 9:39:53 PM   
Gram123

Watchmen: The Maximum Movie Mode thing.
Extensive....

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 238
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 11/12/2010 1:07:57 PM   
spark1

quote:

Watchmen: The Maximum Movie Mode thing.
Extensive....

thats region 1 only, right? its not the region 2 DE.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 15/12/2010 12:40:04 PM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 239
RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... - 24/12/2010 10:28:33 AM   
Gram123

Late reply... Yeah, my copy is the US release of Watchmen DC - a pressie from relatives over there.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Today I saw the extra's from ....... Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI