Evil Calls: The Raven

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Evil Calls: The Raven Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Evil Calls: The Raven - 14/2/2008 12:24:31 PM   
Caster

Well...at least it was short.  And it's ten times more interesting than most boring British films set on a council estate.  Evil Calls is like The Shining mixed with every other Kubrick film (a bathroom scene with a creepy butler, a river of slo-mo blood) but directed by Ed Wood's grandson.  And I say this in a good way.  If you're not laughing, you're probably looking at the person next to you and saying 'What does it all mean?  Who killed who?  Why are the girls always naked?'

Someone once said an audience would rather be confused than bored, and here is the perfect example (although there are two more movies in the series so not all the answers arrive at the end of the first film).

Perfect beer and pizza fodder.  4/5  You can buy the dvd from internetgore.com - I've already ordered mine! Sweeeet.

< Message edited by Caster -- 16/2/2008 1:04:56 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 16/2/2008 1:02:55 AM   
Caster

Changed my mind.  On reflection this is nothing short of a classic.  A fucking bonkers classic, but one nonetheless.

[image]http://www.houseoffear.co.uk/films/raven1/rav5.jpg[/image]

Walls bleed.  Gal gets kit off.  A lot.

[image]http://www.houseoffear.co.uk/films/raven1/rav8.jpg[/image]

Rik Mayall asks for a part in the third film.  Guess where other hand is.

[image]http://www.houseoffear.co.uk/films/raven1/rav11.jpg[/image]

"Where am I?  Echo what?"

< Message edited by Caster -- 16/2/2008 1:05:25 AM >

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 2
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 16/2/2008 6:50:59 PM   
kenada_woo

This was on the news the other day.  Isnt the guy who made it trying to make a film EVERY DAY?  He's got a large farm he's converted into a studio.

Its all good, we need something like that in this country.  Whether or not the films are any good is debatable (probably not very in this case) and could probably die an early death - most of them do - but good luck to em.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 3
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 16/2/2008 9:31:26 PM   
Caster

They have a website here...  They're nothing if not ambitious.

http://www.houseoffear.co.uk/films/raven1/raven1.html

< Message edited by Caster -- 16/2/2008 9:32:55 PM >

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 4
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 17/2/2008 1:40:12 AM   
Lydia_H

Nothing with Rik can be bad 

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 5
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 17/2/2008 1:44:54 AM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lydia_H

I'd agree...but Bring Me The Head Of Mavis Davis was shite

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 6
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 17/2/2008 1:55:54 PM   
Caster

Guest House Paradiso...?

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 7
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 17/2/2008 4:37:17 PM   
Lydia_H

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 8
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 17/2/2008 6:36:50 PM   
Indio

I agree, nothing with Rik can be bad. I'm betting Gaspar Noe only made Irreversible because he was in awe of the fact that Vincent Cassel was in Guest House Paradiso.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 9
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 17/2/2008 11:04:33 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caster

Guest House Paradiso...?

I love that film though

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 10
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 18/2/2008 7:39:15 PM   
Lydia_H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Indio

I agree, nothing with Rik can be bad. I'm betting Gaspar Noe only made Irreversible because he was in awe of the fact that Vincent Cassel was in Guest House Paradiso.

Yeah, like Cassel was only in Guest House Paradiso because he was in awe of Rik Who knows, maybe if he thought she could keep her hands off Rik Cassel would've let Bellucci on board too?

I don't think GHP was that bad, and not only because Rik was in it. There were a few good laughs in there. Although everytime I think of it I get an image of Richie bending over a table and a sharpened pencil flying straight into his ...

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 11
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 18/2/2008 7:47:08 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lydia_H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Indio

Yeah, like Cassel was only in Guest House Paradiso because he was in awe of Rik Who knows, maybe if he thought she could keep her hands off Rik Cassel would've let Bellucci on board too?

I don't think GHP was that bad, and not only because Rik was in it. There were a few good laughs in there. Although everytime I think of it I get an image of Richie bending over a table and a sharpened pencil flying straight into his ...

Bill Nighey and Simon Pegg are in it too

"Listen, Twat!"
"Its pronnounced Thwait!"

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 12
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 18/2/2008 7:49:28 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caster

Well...at least it was short.  And it's ten times more interesting than most boring British films set on a council estate.  Evil Calls is like The Shining mixed with every other Kubrick film (a bathroom scene with a creepy butler, a river of slo-mo blood) but directed by Ed Wood's grandson.  And I say this in a good way.  If you're not laughing, you're probably looking at the person next to you and saying 'What does it all mean?  Who killed who?  Why are the girls always naked?'

Someone once said an audience would rather be confused than bored, and here is the perfect example (although there are two more movies in the series so not all the answers arrive at the end of the first film).

Perfect beer and pizza fodder.  4/5  You can buy the dvd from internetgore.com - I've already ordered mine! Sweeeet.

Ordered mine and looking forward to it coming in the post,only heard about this one last week,and spotted this review today.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 13
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 18/2/2008 10:19:38 PM   
Caster

A bit about the director on youtube now...

Looky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKrbTzhCmY

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 21/2/2008 9:54:16 PM   
Caster

Well my copy arrived today.   I forgot you get a free Marilyn Manson CD with it...anyway, will be watching the film again tomorrow.  It's weird having seen it on the big screen and then getting it a week later on DVD...

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 15
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 10/3/2008 3:21:28 PM   
Caster

Anyone else get their copy yet then?  My friend was looking for this the other day on Play.com but so far they're only distributing the film through their own website... 

< Message edited by Caster -- 10/3/2008 3:27:48 PM >

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 16
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 10/3/2008 3:32:43 PM   
zcarstheme

It's not BBFC rated, so nowhere could actually legally stock it...

http://www.jinx.co.uk - Fiercely independent horror filmmaking

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 17
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 11/3/2008 12:54:16 PM   
Caster

I'm guessing if you sell it through the internet you don't need one, but they will if they want to sell through regular sites.  I see it's now on Ebay too...

(in reply to zcarstheme)
Post #: 18
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 11/3/2008 1:02:09 PM   
zcarstheme

Alas, no. Internet or no internet, it's illegal to sell narrative works on a tangible format with no BBFC certificate. It can be gotten around by stocking them abroad and then providing them as 'imports' but if you're selling them from a UK address it's a no-no.

I very much doubt that it'd result in anything other than a strongly worded letter, though. And as long as you don't shift more than a few hundred, and what you're selling isn't in breach of any obscenity laws, I very much doubt it'd ever result in a collar-feeling.

It is, however, just one of the millions of ways that indie producers are disadvantaged in this country versus, say, the USA. You've got to shift a fair few copies to cover a BBFC bill...

http://www.jinx.co.uk - Fiercely independent horror filmmaking

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 19
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 7/4/2008 5:19:28 PM   
Caster

http://www.mjsimpson.co.uk/reviews/evilcallsa.html

Jesus and I thought I was sad.  This guy's written a 22,000 word review on it!  I like how he repeatedly calls it incomprehensible and then sums up the plot perfectly; er, not that incomprehensible then apparently.  I'm wondering if it's not actually Richard Driscoll plugging his own work.  There are some new clips on youtube as well.

(in reply to zcarstheme)
Post #: 20
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 21/10/2008 3:03:01 PM   
Kikuhito

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenada_woo

This was on the news the other day.  Isnt the guy who made it trying to make a film EVERY DAY?  He's got a large farm he's converted into a studio.

I think it was a film every month. Considering it took over 6 years to get "Alone in the Dark"/ "Evil Calls" completed. He had the same ambition for knocking out films back when he tried to do the studio thing near Brighton in 2001 -2002. Totally unrealistic and totally doesn't have a clue how long things take to get done. He seems to live in his own little world. Peculiarly, he manages to get people to buy in to his world.

What is still a mystery is; how the hell he funds it all!!

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 21
RE: Evil Calls: The Raven - 18/9/2012 9:22:33 PM   
JunkMonkey

quote:

What is still a mystery is; how the hell he funds it all!!

Maybe this list of 40 or so (mostly defunct) companies he has been involved with as Director or Secretary over the last 10 years may shed some light on that:

http://company-director-check.co.uk/director/907786585

< Message edited by JunkMonkey -- 18/9/2012 9:31:13 PM >

(in reply to Kikuhito)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Evil Calls: The Raven Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI