Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 13/2/2008 7:17:32 PM   
Cabal aka Boone

After reading an article recently, it occurred to me that I actually really like Jeff Goldblum as an actor! Hadnt really thought about before now, but looking back hes done some truly cool roles!
I remember loving The Tall Guy and Earth Girls Are Easy back when I was a kid.
Theres a few minor blips on the CV ('Vibes' anyone? ANYONE?) but for the most part he stands out in most things he does, probably helped by his 6ft 4" frame.
Definitely more likeable than Sam Neill in Jurrasic Park. The sequel was clearly not as good, but still he was the best thing in it. (Then Postlethwaite).
He's been a little off the radar in recent years, certainly dont recognise much apart from 'Igby goes Down' or 'The Life Aquatic' in the last 5-6 years.
But its his acting 'style' that I like most, his 'naturalistic', almost improvisational, way of delivering his lines. The Meisner technique I believe its called!
Anyway, whos with me?

http://twitter.com/SteveKuma

Stan Winston - April 7, 1946 June 15, 2008
Post #: 1
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 13/2/2008 11:50:36 PM   
Lydia_H

I am, I love Goldblum  He's such a swarthy, smug git but so charming, and he has a great sense of humour. I was watching Crank Yankers the other week and thought he was hilarious, calling up some college girl pretending to be a really perverted, freaky professor. But he's been in many great films as well, the standout is The Fly of course but I've liked him in everything else. Igby Goes Down really stands out for me too even though he didn't have the biggest role. As you say he's so smooth on screen, he has a great natural charisma and presence.

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to Cabal aka Boone)
Post #: 2
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 14/2/2008 4:08:05 PM   
cold_one

I like him too, from Transylvania 6-5000 to Hideaway.

Has anyone else seen The Favor, The Watch, and the Very Big Fish? That's one of the roles I always think about when I think of Goldblum. As I recall, he hardly speaks, but he is soooo funny and creepy. He made a good Jesus, too.

My favorite actual film of his is Deep Cover though.

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 3
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 15/2/2008 10:56:54 AM   
Kazuya

"So, eventually you do plan to have dinosaurs on your dinosaur tour, right?"

Goldblum is a very cool actor I think, extremely underrated. He's always interesting to watch, his self-confidence and intelligence very much comes through in his performances. It's a crime that he wasn't even nominated for an Academy Award for his performance in The Fly, a complete tour de force.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Cabal aka Boone)
Post #: 4
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 18/2/2008 2:01:28 PM   
Timon

He does corner the market for 'kooky, Jewish scientists who have a habit of always being right' - see Jurassic Park and Independence Day

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 5
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 18/2/2008 4:30:17 PM   
Tech_Noir

I'm never bored when Goldblum is onscreen, just plain love the guy.

I was watching Invasion of The Body Snatchers a few days back, 70s version, and even back then he was cool.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 26/2/2008 9:33:54 AM   
Al Swearengen

for me he'll forever be The F'n Fly!!!

i love Goldblum's work though, he was abit a star back in the day he's kinda disappeared off the map these days though in terms of stardom.

there's still alot of his movies i need to check out, Deep Cover being one of them.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 7
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 26/2/2008 10:56:20 AM   
Peter A. Quinn

What a charismatic actor. I was lucky enough (or is that old enough?) to have seen The Fly on the big screen on it's initial release. It was the first thing I'd seen him in, and he was just perfect. After I saw The Big Chill, I was convinced that he was, indeed, The Man. After Mickey Rourke, of course. Really dig The Tall Guy, and I think the faux-Berkoff play scene in that is still hilarious ("Fuck off!" "Just fuck off!" Goldblum: "No...you fuck off!). I can't imagine what it must have been like on the set of The Life Aquatic with both Goldblum and Bill Murray. The other actors must have worn Tom Cruise's elevator shoes just to stay in shot. Bloody marvellous.

This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 8
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 28/2/2008 9:31:48 PM   
dracovir

For some reason the first thing that comes to mind whenever someone says 'Jeff Goldblum' is him standing with a white background telling us about how all the sugar turns to alchohol...

Still, he has managed to nail the coollest roles in some of the most enjoyable films over the past 30-odd years, depsite being obviously in love with himself (how many films has he done where he doesn't get his chest out?)

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to Peter A. Quinn)
Post #: 9
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 2/3/2008 11:50:23 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Jurassic Park is on right now - he's sticking it to Dickie Attenborough! Go Goldblum! Show that rich guy why his science is morally dubious!

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 10
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 3/3/2008 6:59:15 AM   
dh_19

I like him soley for the fact that when Igby Goes Down premiered in the UK, he went to Dudley Showcase and said the place was amazing! He's just that damn polite!

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 11
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 5/3/2008 3:22:42 PM   
Workshed

He's always been an interesting actor to watch and had some great parts in the mid '80s - mid 90's - the standout being the lead in David Cronenberg's masterpiece - The Fly. He was definitely Oscar-worthy in that film.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 12
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 6/3/2008 1:39:48 PM   
broonie

Excellent actor, one of his best performances was in Mr Frost. Very underrated film.

Do you want to run this ship?
Yes!
Well,...you cant!

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 13
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 6/3/2008 2:12:30 PM   
belluccisbra

I saw him in Speed the Plow@ the Old Vic with Kevin Spacey on Sat- he was excellent

Exterminate all rational thought

(in reply to broonie)
Post #: 14
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 6/3/2008 6:35:39 PM   
Al Swearengen

i just watched The Fly again, and it was amazing. Goldblum's performance is classic.

(in reply to belluccisbra)
Post #: 15
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 18/3/2008 1:01:14 PM   
gene bradley

my favourite goldblum film is the fly,but the sex scene in the tall guy
is hysterical

"I don't use any particular method. I'm from
the lets pretend school of acting."
Harrison Ford

"Children may well enjoy its simple-mindedness,
untroubled by the fact that it looks so shoddy
and so uninventive."

(in reply to Al Swearengen)
Post #: 16
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 3/11/2008 8:38:17 PM   
Cabal aka Boone

Bump!
Just had to go and find this ol' thread, cos I fancy more peoples opinions!

http://twitter.com/SteveKuma

Stan Winston - April 7, 1946 June 15, 2008

(in reply to gene bradley)
Post #: 17
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 3/11/2008 11:36:35 PM   
MR T's GOLD CHAINS

quote:

ORIGINAL: cold_one

I like him too, from Transylvania 6-5000 to Hideaway.

Has anyone else seen The Favor, The Watch, and the Very Big Fish? That's one of the roles I always think about when I think of Goldblum. As I recall, he hardly speaks, but he is soooo funny and creepy. He made a good Jesus, too.

My favorite actual film of his is Deep Cover though.

Yeah - Im with you there too - Deep Cover is probably Goldblum's most daring
performance - suprised of no Oscar or Golden Globe noms for that - same with
Laurence Fisburne, with Deep Cover and King Of New York career best
performances. Deep Cover is still as potent as it was back in 92 - f**king awesome gangster film.
Better than American Gangster in my opinion - by far!

< Message edited by MR T's GOLD CHAINS -- 3/11/2008 11:37:01 PM >

(in reply to cold_one)
Post #: 18
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 4/11/2008 9:46:52 AM   
Minx4MadMen

Watched Independence Day last night! There is something so relaxing about Goldblum..... it must be the voice!

(in reply to MR T's GOLD CHAINS)
Post #: 19
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 4/11/2008 3:32:15 PM   
waltham1979

Jeff Goldblum should be The Riddler in the next Batman film !! yes I am going to bang that drum again

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to Minx4MadMen)
Post #: 20
RE: Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! - 4/11/2008 6:13:11 PM   
sanchia

He is another one of those actors who it seems is going to achieve great things but never quite makes it. He has had some great an memorable roles and when he applies himself puts in a powerful performance.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Goldblum is the Man! Or the Fly! Or The Tall Guy...! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI