Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

On-line writing collaboration

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> On-line writing collaboration Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
On-line writing collaboration - 12/2/2008 11:17:53 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Okay people this is likely to die a very quick, suffocated death but I'm not writing anything at the moment and I'm feeling ambitious. I have an idea for a book of short stories. So initially all I'm thinking is that people should let me know if they are interested in taking part. The only requisition on your part is your imagination and your time.

Have I got anyone a little interested yet? If not there is a cracking thread in off topic about love, sex or something. Let me continue...

The basis for the short series are the ideas that drive Richard Madoc mad by the imprisoned muse Calliope in Neil Gaiman's 'The Sandman'.

Firstly it doesn't matter if you read the Sandman, these stories shouldn't be in the least bit connected to that work of fiction. The reason I chose it was because they were obviously quick fire ideas of Gaiman's and they are inspirational, I also like the idea of writing short stories, based on a short story, based on a writer unable to write because he has no inspiration. It's either brilliant of stupidly obvious.

Secondly I don't care if you've won the booker prize or if you still use 'your' instead of 'you're'. Just looking for different takes on a number of the ideas.

Thirdly the possibilities are endless but at the same time I don't think this work will have any sort of worth outside of hopefully (if anyone is interested) letting people have some fun. That said however I have no idea of the legal ramifications of this, let me just say if this in any way become more involved or we decide that we can do anything with it then we can discuss that later. But feet firmly on the ground it should just be some fun.

So any takers, I think I'll need at least 4 firm 'yes's before I can put any time into this. If we get a few people interested then, I'll work out the ideas and try to give them to people and we can take it from there.
Of course any suggestions or outright ridicule are welcome.

Feel free to PM me if you are interested but have no idea what I'm talking about.

< Message edited by Kilo_T_Mortal -- 13/2/2008 5:24:46 PM >

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives
Post #: 1
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 12/2/2008 11:57:00 AM   
clownfoot

Can we partake in some chainsaw and flying eyeball action albeit in the medium of prose? If so, I'll give it a shot. I'm sure there's a creative spark still on a low light that hasn't been completely put out by the mundanness and bland writing expected of a Civil Servant...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 2
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 12/2/2008 12:10:41 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Basically all I'm going to give you is a really vague idea for a story. It can be horror, Sci-fi, Fantasy (although I'd personally rather you didn't), Fairy tale, Pulp, Mystery, Modern day melodrama, Australian Soap Opera, Western, just anything that you get a feel for. The only connection is that these ideas come from the same source but they can be as different as we are.

Glad someone is interested, cheers.

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 3
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 13/2/2008 9:33:16 PM   
clownfoot

Looks like its just me and you Kilo...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

Post #: 4
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 13/2/2008 9:44:56 PM   
FlangeBags

I'm up for a bit of this, but just what is wrong with fantasy eh?  That's people like Terry Pratchett and China Mieville you're discounting there, to say nothing of Tolkien and Mervyn Peake.

My homepage - http://allendonnelly.squarespace.com/

My debut novel, BUY IT (please)! - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crystal-Eyes-ebook/dp/B005ZJ56GY

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 5
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 13/2/2008 10:12:33 PM   
Funkyrae

Sorry Kilo.  I know this would be fun, but I run a storywriter's challenge on my forum.  Between that and the million other things going on at the moment I wouldn't be able to give this the attention it deserves.

That's me that is!

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 6
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 14/2/2008 8:45:18 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlangeBags

I'm up for a bit of this, but just what is wrong with fantasy eh?  That's people like Terry Pratchett and China Mieville you're discounting there, to say nothing of Tolkien and Mervyn Peake.

Nice one. Nothing wrong with Fantasy. One of my favorite genres and I love work by lots of different authors in it (I was bought up on Feist, Weis and Hickmen and Tolkien). It's just a good chunk of amateur writing I read is fantasy and I think it's an easy genre to write (and subconsciously copy), but a very hard genre to write well. So much awful fantasy is churned out, but look, ultimately it will be up to you.

So we got Clownfoot and Flangebags. There must be some more out there?

Funky I know you will see sense sooner or later.

horribleives

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 7
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 14/2/2008 9:10:38 AM   
mad_looney

ooo I'd be interested, i write all the time its an obsession, seriously.

Head of Military and Defence for the Peoples Republic of Empiria

http://www.myspace.com/fudzistan

Have your eyes ever been checked?
No Doctor, they've always been blue

Post #: 8
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 14/2/2008 10:04:31 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Ooooh I'm getting goose bumps. Three people interested...

This time next year Empire will be able to sell our work for a fortune.

horribleives

(in reply to mad_looney)
Post #: 9
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 14/2/2008 10:36:37 AM   
Amelie_Scotland

I'm up for it.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

Post #: 10
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 14/2/2008 10:39:04 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amelie_Scotland

I'm up for it.

Huzzah! 4 means we're going ahead, of course anyone else is still welcome to join.

horribleives

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 11
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 14/2/2008 12:13:04 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlangeBags

Nice one. Nothing wrong with Fantasy. One of my favorite genres and I love work by lots of different authors in it (I was bought up on Feist, Weis and Hickmen and Tolkien). It's just a good chunk of amateur writing I read is fantasy and I think it's an easy genre to write (and subconsciously copy), but a very hard genre to write well. So much awful fantasy is churned out, but look, ultimately it will be up to you.

So we got Clownfoot and Flangebags. There must be some more out there?

Funky I know you will see sense sooner or later.

You've no idea how tempting it is Kilo!  I have zero willpower at the best of times.  I'll join in when I have less on.  Promise.

That's me that is!

Post #: 12
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 14/2/2008 12:39:38 PM   
bobatim

Ahoy hoy to paraphrase Mr Burns, I am I too late to get in on this?

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 13
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 14/2/2008 12:56:58 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Never. The more the merrier.

horribleives

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 14
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 14/2/2008 1:39:57 PM   
clownfoot

Can a condition of joining be that you have to add your votes to this years Top 100 Film Poll first?

Post #: 15
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 14/2/2008 1:56:38 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

Already done that Clowny.  

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 16
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 15/2/2008 1:48:26 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Welcome to the on-line writing collaboration. I've managed to scribble down the start of the collaboration, with the titles on offer. Here they are:
*TAKEN - BIG KOVACS
*A city in which the streets are paved with time
*TAKEN - Bob
*TAKEN - G.O.B
*TAKEN - Kilo
*TAKEN - Looney
*TAKEN -Funky (I knew it)
*TAKEN - Amelie
*TAKEN - Justified
*Shark's teeth soup
*TAKEN - Odd
*TAKEN - Flange and Clownfoot

Have a look through and let me know if any of them grab you, if so let me know and I'll remove them. They will become yours to write about as you please. Please remember they are but a title the rest is up to you, hopefully they point their own way if not then have a little look at what I have written below, it might help it might not.

Okay for some inspiration try considering matching a genre to a story. But have a think; 'Two old women taking a weasel on holiday' could be a crime story about the use of a robbery pulled off by two supposedly old women. It could be a fantasy story about how the weasel is a sentient being, an ancient mage trapped in the body of a weasel, who has been driven quite mad and keeps up the facade of two old ladies walking him as he battles with his own internal demons. It could be a horror story about how the weasel is an ancient shackle imposed upon the last witch in existence and how she longs to break free and wreak terrible harm on the people who imprisoned her. It could be a science friction story about how an alien is trying to learn about earth and gets it really, really wrong. It could be simply a poignant look back through life as two old women talk about how things use to be. The weasel doesn't have to be a literal weasel; it could be a smooth talking con artist. Etc, etc. Just try and mess around with the genres if you are having any trouble.
So try and write a bit about one of the titles, I think anything from 1000 words to 5000 words would be good. But don't limit yourself just write what you're comfortable with. Also no one ever finishes a story but eventually there comes a time when they have grown up enough and you just have to let them go and make their own way in the world. So don't hold on to them forever.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, problems or if you would like me to read through anything. Always happy to help.

Lastly I think when we are done we should just post our work here. Let the whole world have access to it and when the big publishers come knocking remember we should stick together and not be over allured by the fast cars and glamorous women/men even though they are waved in front of our eyes like so many balls of silvery string.
Ladies and Gentlemen, imprisoned weasels and old witches, raise your glasses. The collaboration!

< Message edited by Kilo_T_Mortal -- 7/3/2008 11:33:51 AM >

horribleives

Post #: 17
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 15/2/2008 1:52:02 PM   
Funkyrae

Dammit!  I knew I shouldn't have looked in here.  Those titles are just too good, even with all the stuff going on I've got rudimentary ideas for at least three of them!

I simply can't though, I really need to get on with this boring work stuff.  Kilo, don't take this the wrong way but sometimes you're an absolute bastard!

That's me that is!

Post #: 18
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 15/2/2008 1:58:56 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I'm taking this one, thank you Kilo.

*A were-goldfish who transforms into a wolf

Fantastic ideas, very Gaiman!

< Message edited by Amelie_Scotland -- 15/2/2008 2:07:03 PM >

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 19
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 15/2/2008 2:00:05 PM   
bobatim

Well i've just had a look through all those titles and an idea jumped out at me for each one. I'm gonna need some time to think bout this one. Kilo do we pm you the title we want or jut ask you here?

Is he died?

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 20
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 15/2/2008 2:10:16 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Happy either way mate.

horribleives

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 21
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 15/2/2008 2:12:12 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae
Dammit!  I knew I shouldn't have looked in here.  Those titles are just too good, even with all the stuff going on I've got rudimentary ideas for at least three of them!

I simply can't though, I really need to get on with this boring work stuff.  Kilo, don't take this the wrong way but sometimes you're an absolute bastard!

I thang u.

horribleives

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 22
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 15/2/2008 2:21:12 PM   
bobatim

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

Happy either way mate.

In that case i'll take A Train Full of Silent Women please

Is he died?

Post #: 23
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 15/2/2008 3:38:20 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

Erm, I've written something for it. It's crap and only 1293 words but it's something. I'm going to make sure my wrist doesn't break now from all the super fast typing.

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 24
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 15/2/2008 3:42:10 PM   
bobatim

Bloody hell, that was fast Ams, I'm still thinking bout mine. You gonna post it?

Also meant to ask, Is there a deadline on these or is it just a case of as and when?

< Message edited by bobatim -- 15/2/2008 3:44:30 PM >

Is he died?

Post #: 25
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 15/2/2008 3:45:34 PM   
hawkeye10

I know this is not the right thread, but I don't know where to ask.

I have a few writing projects going now, but I have a comic book adventure that I need an artist(partner in crime) for and I want to know if anyone is interested.

I have already done the initial character designs and I need someone to complete my dream.

Cheers.

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 26
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 15/2/2008 3:49:59 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

Hehe dissertation procrastination is a terrible thing Bobatim, but fabulous for the storywriting.  I don't know if I should post it now or wait until others actually have a chance to start theirs. I'll ask Kilo when he's back. 

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 27
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 15/2/2008 3:57:31 PM   
bobatim

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amelie_Scotland

Hehe dissertation procrastination is a terrible thing Bobatim, but fabulous for the storywriting.  I don't know if I should post it now or wait until others actually have a chance to start theirs. I'll ask Kilo when he's back. 

Nah I think you should post it now. I'mm sure Kilo won't mind. It'll be nice to read something so soon so we can steal ideas erm I mean seek inspiration

Seriously though, it would be cool to read it, if for no other reason than it's always cool reading peoples stuff.

Now get with your dissertation Skiver!

Is he died?

Post #: 28
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 15/2/2008 4:04:40 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: hawkeye10

I know this is not the right thread, but I don't know where to ask.

I have a few writing projects going now, but I have a comic book adventure that I need an artist(partner in crime) for and I want to know if anyone is interested.

I have already done the initial character designs and I need someone to complete my dream.

Cheers.

Rather than take this one off topic, why not create a thread in Comic Shack?

That's me that is!

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 29
RE: On-line writing collaboration - 15/2/2008 4:05:11 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

It's two dissertrations actually. And if you happen to know anything about the relatioship depicted in Lady Chatterley's Lover, it would really help.
Okay then, here is my story. Be kind or I shall cry like the big teenage baby I am. And ignore the typos...

When all of your friends only have a three second memory capacity, it's quite easy to keep secrets from them. I've often wondered why i can remember everything, from my life and others, but when you're in my situation you need to get a bit of perspective about things. I have no explanation as to how it happened or why it happened to me and I don't think I want one. It's easier just to go with the flow and try not to break anything.

Mr Beck's Pet Shop is a cramped space that doesn't leave a lot of room for transformation or much else. The fish tanks are wedged between the storage room door frame and the 8 foot tall pile of cat litter bags. Three tanks on top for tropical fish and clams and the bottom for goldfish. Home sweet home. It's a basic design, full of the usual plastic plants, garish neon gravel and faux-stone cannons covered in algae. The new Saturday girl hasn't been doing her job very well which accounts for the less than clear water. Some of the fish are fresh off the delivery van, others were left half rotten by a bout of white spot and have been here for weeks, even months, it's not easy to keep track of time. I was one of the unfortunates, left with half a tail. It's probably a good thing I'll never be sold, I'd pity the poor little girl who kept me in the the glass bowl beside her bed when the full moon came.
The time of the month had rolled by again. It had been hours since the Saturday girl had closed up, leaving us overfed yet again. The sticky residue of discount goldfish flakes is already fogging up my surroundings. It's difficult to get a proper view from my angle but I can just see the front desk clock. 11:58. Not long to go. Time to make my escape. The plastic tank cover overhead has a handy little flap designed for such emergencies. It takes a very precise leap to get out to the top, something I've perfected over the countless transformations. I allowed myself to sink to the gravel, my half-tail trying to keep me steady. Taking the water distortion into account, I counted down from three then propelled my fins forward and burst out of the water. Hitting the side of the flap. Sinking back down, I ignored the slight tinge of pain and readied myself again. I didn't have time to sulk. Back in the same position, only a tiny change to where I perched, tail at the ready. With a countdown from two, I forced myself up again and flew through the flap, landing in one of the cover's grooves before jumping again to the wirey floor. No time for triumphant cheers, the clock's hand made it's final movement of the day.
12:00.

Like somebody switching on the tank lights, the feeling changed instantly. It's a little difficult to explain how it feels to turn into a full sized werewolf when you're a goldfish. Just imagine having all your insides torn out and rearragned into something completely different. Your scales changing into skin, spurting dirty coloured fur in the most excrutiatingly irritating manner. Limbs appearing that were never there before, then dangerously sharp teeth and claws pushing their way into the open air, followed by the taste of blood. The world becoming a whole lot smaller as I grow too big for the cramped aisle full of assorted foods and bowls. Finally, with an almighty howl that echoes throughout the shop, it's over. With a creak of my newly formed neck, I turn and see several of my tank-mates gawping through the glass like...well, fish. I can't help but grin with new fangs, covered in drool and blood. They seem to forget what they were looking at and return to their eternal swimming.

Originally, when I discovered my lupine side (and destroyed my home in the process, I considered escaping the shop and going wherever I wanted to. But I was unsure so I decided to consider the possibilities for a while. I had nowhere to go and absolutely no idea what the small town outside those doors was like. The only places I'd seen were the wholesale fish centre and the van I came in. I also somehow doubted that the humans would react well to seeing a wolf on the streets. I may have been a goldfish but I knew what a gun was. There was also the question of how long my current state would last. After several hours of pacing through the shop - and taking a sly bite at the dog treats on offer - daylight had arrived and I felt my body changing again. Everything compressing tightly back into one shiny orange package. Luckily I avoided death because Mr Beck opened up shop two minutes later and cleaned everything up before phoning his insurance company. So I decided it would just be best for everyone if I stayed put in the shop.

There isn't much to do in Mr Beck's Pet Shop. All the other animals, comprised of a few hamsters, gerbils and budgies, are asleep and there's barely enough room to work up a good run and jump. The phrase 'life well spent' doesn't really apply to me. My baffling gift serves no real puropse to my life, other than to taste what others eat once a month. I've developed quite the appetite for the peculiarly shaped chews kept in the dog section. I've heard Mr Beck call them 'pizzles' to other customers but I don't know what that means. I've never heard of that type of animal. There's also a large amount of dog toys that are an amusing way to whittle away the hours until dawn. Whoever designed some of these toys must lead a more interesting life than I do. My favourite one is shaped like a pineapple and growls when you sink your teeth into it. Nobody ever thinks about making toys for goldfish but then again, if we had the capacity to use such things, we wouldn't be swimming backwards and forwards morning, noon and night. Sometimes having a functioning memory sucks.

The night always seems to fly by. I never really have a proper opportunity to sample the rare freedom I have. Before I can take another bite or dig my claws into the floor, the sun streams past the window display and I can feel my limbs starting to retract. I hurry over to the tank before they disappear and push my head through the tank sides and onto the tank cover. As my entire body shrinks back to it's familiar, if underwhelming, stature, I slide into the flap and back to the water. It's over again. The others continue to move around in circles, completely oblivious to what I've been through. The water does feel refreshing but everything seems so dull now. It always does straight after the change. Part of me knows I should be grateful for what I have, after all, how many werewolf goldfish are there in the world? But it always leaves me longing for so much more than to pace around a pet shop for one night a month. There's an entire universe outside that glass and I'll never get to experience it because to leave would be my death. My extended memory has also left me with a death-fearing complex. So, with another month until my next escapades, I reside myself to the drudgery of goldfish life. At least it's Sunday, I won't have to put up with Mr Beck moaning about the mysterious droppings on the floor for another few hours...

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> On-line writing collaboration Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI