Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Watchmen And Hobbit Mired in Legal Cases

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Watchmen And Hobbit Mired in Legal Cases Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Watchmen And Hobbit Mired in Legal Cases - 12/2/2008 9:47:05 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Lets face it... - 12/2/2008 9:47:05 AM   
tallaght24

...The Hobbit was doomed from the start.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
KNOB 'EDS! - 12/2/2008 10:45:04 AM   
charltni

just what exactly are new line basing their case for non-payment on? "nope! its all ours!"

Post #: 3
KNOB 'EDS! - 12/2/2008 10:49:17 AM   
charltni

just what exactly are new line basing their case for non-payment on? "nope! its all ours!"

Post #: 4
- 12/2/2008 10:50:00 AM   
rayhiggins

Didn't Peter Jackson sue new Line as well over money matters in the LOTR trilogy? Methinks they have sticky fingers and don't like to share.

Post #: 5
The Watchmen one smells like bull...... - 12/2/2008 11:16:01 AM   
the ageless stranger

How did Fox not notice until now that a very large studio was making a very large, well-publicised production of a film that they supposedly own the rights to? I smell a studio looking for some free money.

Post #: 6
RE: The Watchmen one smells like bull...... - 12/2/2008 12:27:44 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: the ageless stranger

How did Fox not notice until now that a very large studio was making a very large, well-publicised production of a film that they supposedly own the rights to? I smell a studio looking for some free money.

My thoughts exactly! why did no one say when the Watchmen was greenlit, "Hang on, we own the rights to that." Instead they wait until well into production when it's probably too late to cancel the film.

(in reply to the ageless stranger)
Post #: 7
RE: The Watchmen one smells like bull...... - 12/2/2008 12:32:20 PM   
The Hooded Man

Maybe they wanted to see one of their rivals spend millions on a film that they couldn't release and then wait for the right moment to maximise publicity with the lawsuit.
If it's true Warners have made something of a boo-boo.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 8
RE: The Watchmen one smells like bull...... - 12/2/2008 12:57:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

quote:

My thoughts exactly! why did no one say when the Watchmen was greenlit, "Hang on, we own the rights to that." Instead they wait until well into production when it's probably too late to cancel the film.

Maybe because Fox wanted the movie made, then come in with a lawsuit and have it settled outside of the courts. i.e - Warners gets the American release and video sales while Fox gets international. That way the studio makes a couple of hundred million (I hope!) with barely the lift of a finger.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 9
RE: The Watchmen one smells like bull...... - 12/2/2008 1:02:09 PM   
broonie

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

quote:

Also, if they bought the rights in the 80's, why haven't they bothered trying to make the film themselves? What was the point in buying the rights only not to make the film?
As for The Hobbit, someone wants their arse kicked about the place at New Line. Fair enough they were brave to take the gamble of producing the LOTR films but they have made a shedload of cash through box-office takings and DVD sales. Then to try and rip off the maker (Jackson) of the film, and then the source of the material (or their representative trust) is shameful and disgusting.

< Message edited by broonie -- 12/2/2008 1:03:12 PM >

Do you want to run this ship?
Yes!
Well,...you cant!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 10
RE: The Watchmen one smells like bull...... - 12/2/2008 2:04:50 PM   
the ageless stranger

quote:

ORIGINAL: broonie

Also, if they bought the rights in the 80's, why haven't they bothered trying to make the film themselves? What was the point in buying the rights only not to make the film?

I think they tried, isn't there a mention somewhere about Terry Gilliam trying to get a film version of Watchmen together in the late 80s, early 90s but it fell apart?

Stand And Be True

(in reply to broonie)
Post #: 11
RE: The Watchmen one smells like bull...... - 12/2/2008 2:16:57 PM   
Diggler

For fecks sake. Why is it always the films I am most looking forward to that end up with possible problems? How come it's never films like PS I Love you and The Water Horse that are at risk?

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to the ageless stranger)
Post #: 12
RE: The Watchmen one smells like bull...... - 12/2/2008 2:39:30 PM   
Helen OHara

On the Watchmen question, the full story does detail some quite complex to-ings and fro-ings with the rights, which could explain the delay. They may have taken a while to build the case.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 13
hobbit rights - 12/2/2008 3:08:13 PM   
danbo1138

don't the rights to the hobbit revert back to the tolkien estate in 2009?could this be a stalling tactic by the estate in order to get jackson to direct his version?

Post #: 14
RE: hobbit rights - 12/2/2008 4:02:20 PM   
britesparc

I thought Watchmen was a DC comic and that Warners owned DC and therefore had the movie rights to all DC comics/characters?  My head hurts...

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 15
WATCHMEN NOO! - 12/2/2008 5:14:56 PM   
AYBGerrardo

It could be the best film ever made - not that its suited perfectly to the medium, but because as a story its quite simply astounding. And just when we thought for the first time that the film was a certainty - arghghghgh! If Fox are successful here, I'll boycott their films, and maybe their TV as well - theyre just greedy as hell.

Post #: 16
...... - 13/2/2008 4:50:23 AM   
Overmind

aww belgium.

"All suspects are to be considered guilty, period. Or else they wouldn't be suspects would they?" -TROOPS

(in reply to AYBGerrardo)
Post #: 17
RE: ...... - 13/2/2008 8:43:43 AM   
tommyjarvis

Boo hoo. Neither of them sound particularly interesting anyway.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to Overmind)
Post #: 18
RE: Watchmen And Hobbit Mired in Legal Cases - 26/2/2008 11:47:16 AM   
Mason Verger

Tolkien's family threatens to block new Hobbit film - Times Online

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

Post #: 19
New Line - tight arses? - 26/2/2008 11:56:39 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

Is it me or does it seem like New Line lack a bit of integrity money-wise. First there was the whole thing with Jackson not getting paid and then the Tolkein bunch are taking them to court over money as well. Seems like a pattern is emerging

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 20
RE: The Watchmen one smells like bull...... - 27/2/2008 12:20:19 AM   
dracovir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

On the Watchmen question, the full story does detail some quite complex to-ings and fro-ings with the rights, which could explain the delay. They may have taken a while to build the case.

I was going to take a guess at something akin to this.  There is often (if not all the time) some behind-the-scenes happenings that can take years before it makes it into the courts.  Chances are Fox have taken grievance to Warner since they [Warner] announced the project and it has only now come to the public's attention with the filing of the lawsuit.  If this is the case, then kudoes for Fox not making a big attention-seeking spectacle of it before now.

As for New Line... I am stunned.  What was once my favourite studio is losing favour in my big head.  Big time.  One would've thought they woulda read every legal document pertaining to the rights of the novels when they took on the project?  And if this is the case, then how did they think they can get away with it?  At least, even if the Tolkien estate take the rights off them and hand the project over to another studio (the public demand for the film means it is unlikely that it won't happen) then they could still potentially keep PJ and GDT attached to it?

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 21
RE: hobbit rights - 27/2/2008 12:24:18 AM   
dracovir

quote:

ORIGINAL: danbo1138

don't the rights to the hobbit revert back to the tolkien estate in 2009?could this be a stalling tactic by the estate in order to get jackson to direct his version?

This is an interesting theory.  I like!

Despite having to wait even longer for more Hobbity-goodness, despite the fact that Del Toro could work magic helming the project, I think the film would go down better with everyone's favourite Kiwi with megaphone duties.  I wonder if PJ would want to do so now though.

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Watchmen And Hobbit Mired in Legal Cases Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI