Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Atonement Takes BAFTA's Big Prize

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Atonement Takes BAFTA's Big Prize Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Atonement Takes BAFTA's Big Prize - 10/2/2008 9:10:26 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Hmm... - 10/2/2008 9:10:26 PM   
Indio

The only awards I can say I agree with there are for Daniel Day Lewis, The Lives Of Others (although its a 2006 film) and (maybe) Diablo Cody for Juno.

No Country was good but not THAT good, I'm kind of mystified at some of the praise its been getting. Of the rest, This Is England was OK, but I don't know if I'd go as far as saying it was the best British film of the year. Other than that, theres nothing there to get that excited about, but cheers for saving me 2 hours watching it on TV.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 10/2/2008 9:15:16 PM   
CameronJames

well atleast Day-Lewis and Javier Bardem can rest easy knowing they deserve their awards, the rest is pretty much just a reach around for those who got hype.

Post #: 3
RE: - 10/2/2008 9:46:52 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Kinda weird having a Best Picture and Best British Film category when a British film can be nominated (and apparently win) in the former. That's like an insult to the winner of the Best British Film: "oh we liked your film... just not enough to nominate it in the Best Film category". If there were no British films in the Best Picture category (which then would be treated like a Foreign Film category), it would make sense. Oh well, not the end of the world.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to CameronJames)
Post #: 4
Wow! - 10/2/2008 9:54:19 PM   
AYBGerrardo

The Rising Star Award was shared?! Congratulations Olly Richards!

Post #: 5
RE: RE: - 10/2/2008 9:54:40 PM   
pablohoolio

The Golden Compass winning for visual effects ahead of Pirates 3 and Transformers (which wasn't even NOMINATED!) is just wrong.....

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 6
RE: RE: - 10/2/2008 10:30:26 PM   
kumar

The Golden Compass effects were pretty abismal, and even at their best in the film, they were still sub par. I cant complain about  anything else though, but that award sticks out like

an elephant in a flock of sheep.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 7
- 10/2/2008 11:01:59 PM   
Cinema_Junkie

See, I've never really seen the big enthusiasm for Day-Lewis. He's good, but is he really that fantastic?

Post #: 8
RE: - 10/2/2008 11:13:54 PM   
badassmofo

No fucking way.

Control should have won Best British Film hands down. This Is England was good but I can remember barely any of it since seeing it at the cinema. I have had a real craving to see Control since I saw it on day of release and I eagerly await intoducing my girlfriend to it tomorrow night after I but the DVD tomorrow, truly incredible stuff.

Atonement.... Its a great film, but I know for a fact No Country is better and I am 95% sure I will feel the same about There Will Be Blood. The fact that Atonement won made me rather annoyed, I KNOW it won't win at the Oscars but its just, there is at least one better film in the list

You just got killed by a Daewoo Lamos motherfucker - Best line of 2008

Cinerama - News, reviews, features and listener feedback every week by your Empire Online friend badassmofo! (I sound like a non-badassmofo I know...) On iTunes or cinerama.jellycast.com

(in reply to Cinema_Junkie)
Post #: 9
RE: RE: - 10/2/2008 11:57:33 PM   
adambatman82

the thing about atonement winning best film despite not taking best british picture really annoys me. the same thing happened last year with the queen taking best picture but losing out on best british film to the last king of scotland. it just lessons the value of the awards and makes them seem trivial.

(in reply to badassmofo)
Post #: 10
When will BAFTA give the presenting gig to Ricky Gervais? - 11/2/2008 6:30:01 AM   
potemkin1925

Never, that's when. Did you not see that one trick pony flounder himself at the Diana concert? That summed up his talent right there. Jonathan Ross should've ignored all the Oscar like script and made it up on the go.

Post #: 11
- 11/2/2008 8:58:41 AM   
steveg66

Still pissed off no Transformers in visual effects category. Golden Compass winning just adds insult to injury (not as much as Bourne would have). POTC3 would have got my vote with what was left.

Post #: 12
What A Shocker! - 11/2/2008 9:50:11 AM   
joanna likes films

Whoa! Fourteen noms and only gets two?! That is shocking and a french film winning more than others? I think it's the best one yet, stuipd Keria Knightley prading around like she's the best but she didn't win! Ha! Still disappointed that James Mcavoy didn't win best actor but I was over the moon when Shia Labeouf won rising star award. He did desvere it and it shut Sienna Miller up! In all, the best awards so far.

Post #: 13
What i'm struggling to understand is.... - 11/2/2008 10:27:32 AM   
Moosedog

every single critic is calling 'There will be blood' a masterpiece, one of the best films ever made, and yet it is not winning any of the big awards (acting apart), surely it should be beating 'Atonement'?? i just dont get it?? Surely Atonement won becasue it is a British film, not because it is better than 'TWBB'?? anyone else agree??

Post #: 14
Best British Film - 11/2/2008 11:20:54 AM   
peterelson

I've not seen 'This is England' but I can't imagine it having a greater emotional impact on me than 'Control'. That really was a stunning film, and Sam Riley IS Ian Curtis.
Also, why the anti Keira Knightley feeling? She may very well have been in some utter tosh, but she CAN act, and I think fellow Brits should support her, rather than run her down.

Post #: 15
Best British Film - 11/2/2008 11:21:02 AM   
peterelson

I've not seen 'This is England' but I can't imagine it having a greater emotional impact on me than 'Control'. That really was a stunning film, and Sam Riley IS Ian Curtis.
Also, why the anti Keira Knightley feeling? She may very well have been in some utter tosh, but she CAN act, and I think fellow Brits should support her, rather than run her down.

Post #: 16
RE: Best British Film - 11/2/2008 1:25:39 PM   
Hamsta

I agree, Keira is a good actress.  She was excellant in Pride & Prejudice, and amazingly like her character in the book of Atonement.  Why does she get such bitching?  Is it because she is beautiful as well?

Am really pleased Juno won for screenplay, Tlda Swinton is a great actress and Javier Bardem is well deserving too.

(in reply to peterelson)
Post #: 17
- 11/2/2008 1:54:51 PM   
Laura T

Congrats to a delightfully suprised Marion Cotillard on winning Best Actress!!!! Also happy to see Shia LaBeouf win the Orange Rising Star award, he is a better talent than Sienna Miller - who I thought was going to win. Besides she has been known for years - prob more for her love life than acting, but the rest of the nominees really only became 'public' names in the past year.

Post #: 18
Bring back Stephen Fry - 11/2/2008 2:31:54 PM   
sjmanfa

It was an interesting show with some surprise winners but I'm sorry to say Johnathan Ross sucked, he just doesn't have the wit of Stephen Fry. I was glad to see Marion win best actress, truly diserving, but think Viggo should have got best actor, but then again I haven't seen there will be blood yet....

Post #: 19
Gervais presenting? - 11/2/2008 4:09:59 PM   
timkins

Er, what earthly reason would there be to give him a role connected to the film world other then just his being an over-hyped whore?

Post #: 20
Gervais presenting? - 11/2/2008 4:10:47 PM   
timkins

Er, what earthly reason would there be to give him a role connected to the film world other then just his being an over-hyped whore?

Post #: 21
RE: What A Shocker! - 11/2/2008 4:38:38 PM   
dielo

The Best British Film is decided by a separate jury; Best Picture is awarded by the Academy as a whole.

quote:

stuipd Keria Knightley prading around like she's the best but she didn't win! Ha! Still disappointed that James Mcavoy didn't win best actor but I was over the moon when Shia Labeouf won rising star award. He did desvere it and it shut Sienna Miller up!

^^^did lol @ female misogyny in this post.

(in reply to joanna likes films)
Post #: 22
nooooo - 11/2/2008 5:11:36 PM   
jemba

i wanted ellen page to win :( she was by far the best than some dull french lass

Post #: 23
If I was in charge of the Baftas... - 12/2/2008 9:47:43 PM   
Ricorodrigeuz

Pirates would have won specail effects (why on earth did golden compass win, i mean seriously none of it really stood out to me but thats not to say the polar bear fight wasn't fun)
Also what was CGI in boune ultimatum?

Post #: 24
RE: Atonement Takes BAFTA's Big Prize - 13/2/2008 12:27:06 PM   
white mage

How come it says British awards when the french and americans won them? Or is it the British people who voted? I'm confused. It was all relly serious films as well? Wheres the fun? I totally agree with the rising star award. He was really good in transformers. Though Ellen Page is a good acterss too.

We do not write the songs, we live them

Post #: 25
RE: Atonement Takes BAFTA's Big Prize - 13/2/2008 4:14:30 PM   
Darth Goonie

I still can't get over the fact that The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford wasn't up for best film?! Worse still it wasn't even nominated in the Cinematography category. I know Roger Deakins won for No Country but I feel that his work on Jesse James should have been acknowledged, its a stunning looking film.

(in reply to white mage)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Atonement Takes BAFTA's Big Prize Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI