Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Wuthering Heights *Spoilers*

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Wuthering Heights *Spoilers* Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wuthering Heights *Spoilers* - 6/2/2008 2:27:05 PM   
steffols

Has anyone read Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte?  I read it a few months ago and was absolutley blown away with the way it managed to capture the very essence of emotion.  It was so raw and brutal, which made the emotion in it very tangible and almost dangerous.  It fast became one of my favourite books, and Emily Bronte one of my favourite writers. So has anyone ever read it?  If so, what did you think of it, character wise.

I thought Katherine was a very spoilt character, she wanted the best of both worlds and played both Edgar and Heathcliff against each other.  Obviously Heathcliffs wild nature lead to his evil ways of corrupting Linton and Cathy Jnr into marrying so he would own Thrushcross Grange, but the way Katherine used him and gave him hope killed whatever good was in him.

Hareton Earnshaw was probably one of my favourite characters.  He was so tender and rough, even being brought up by Heathcliff couldnt stop him from loving, which was a very refreshing idea.  The way he would go against Joseph and Heathcliff to make Cathy smile after Lintons death and her incarceration showed the goodness in the Earnshaw family.

Heathcliff was the reason for his Hindleys downfall, make no mistake, I always wanted to believe that there was some good in Heathcliff but he wasnt able to show it, however what he did to both the Earnshaws and the Lintons firmly puts him in my list of great literary villians.

< Message edited by steffols -- 6/2/2008 2:28:14 PM >

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.
Post #: 1
RE: Wuthering Heights *Spoilers* - 6/2/2008 9:17:58 PM   
Twinkle

Wuthering Heights is a fantastic book, and it's all - all - down to Heathcliff.

What a character.  What a man!  He completely encapsulates the insanity of female desire.  He is an utter bastard - a bitter, vengeful, dark-hearted dog; devoid of compassion, corrupt of soul - and we love him for it.  Why?  Because he's passionate and wild and romantic.  Because he broods.  Because he has flashing eyes and fire in his blood and we hope that, somewhere inside, buried deep, there's a pink and tender part left.  We pity him; we want him.  He intrigues us so we ignore his flaws.  He is why beaten wives stay with their men. 

I agree that Kathy is weak, but then she need be nothing else - she's just a satellite.  Heathcliff is the sun round which it all revolves.

God I really need to read that book again, actually.

In Thom We Trust

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 2
RE: Wuthering Heights *Spoilers* - 8/2/2008 11:06:26 PM   
Manchurian candidate

Reading this at the moment. But, yeah, I'm only halfway through and its blown me away so far. While I agree that Heathcliff is a revelation, and a creation of literary genius, the character I sympathize with most Edgar Linton, although I haven't found a character yet that isn't sympathetic.

Oh, and I have never come across a book that's got such a brilliant structure- a stupid point, I know, but it's genius.

Will post a better and less garbled response when I've finished reading.

< Message edited by Manchurian candidate -- 9/2/2008 10:13:45 AM >

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! … Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 3
RE: Wuthering Heights *Spoilers* - 15/2/2008 12:58:53 PM   
steffols

I love Edgar as well.  He only ever loved Cathy and all he gets is grief for it!  Hes a good guy at heart, a good guy ruined by Heathcliff, as was Hindley and Hareton Grrrr.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 4
RE: Wuthering Heights *Spoilers* - 15/2/2008 1:13:42 PM   
elab49

I honestly and truly cannot stand the book - overblown, badly written gothic romance. I couldn't disagree more with the idea of a shallow muppet like Heathcliff being the epitome of female desire. I'd rather shoot myself than deal with someone that immature.

The best thing about it is the deconstruction Jasper Fforde does in the Thursday Next novels which make clear what an annoying self-obsessed twit Heathcliff is.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 5
RE: Wuthering Heights *Spoilers* - 19/2/2008 5:33:37 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I honestly and truly cannot stand the book - overblown, badly written gothic romance. I couldn't disagree more with the idea of a shallow muppet like Heathcliff being the epitome of female desire. I'd rather shoot myself than deal with someone that immature.

The best thing about it is the deconstruction Jasper Fforde does in the Thursday Next novels which make clear what an annoying self-obsessed twit Heathcliff is.

Yes! I'm not alone thankgoodness. I couldn't stick it either. I couldn't find a character I liked and quite frankly thought they were all complete idiots.  As for Heathcliff what a complete fool not to mention the harpy that is Cathy. I felt so dispointed when I finished it as I'd heard so much about it.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Wuthering Heights *Spoilers* - 20/2/2008 8:56:16 PM   
naomi

Had to study this book for the irish leaving cert - all I can is thank god for kate bush and her song, it made sense of the book and summarised it perfectly 

But Lucy I'm British!!!
- So are these!

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 7
RE: Wuthering Heights *Spoilers* - 24/2/2008 12:57:40 AM   
Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twinkle

What a character.  What a man!  He completely encapsulates the insanity of female desire.  He is an utter bastard - a bitter, vengeful, dark-hearted dog; devoid of compassion, corrupt of soul - and we love him for it.  Why?  Because he's passionate and wild and romantic.  Because he broods.  Because he has flashing eyes and fire in his blood and we hope that, somewhere inside, buried deep, there's a pink and tender part left.  We pity him; we want him.  He intrigues us so we ignore his flaws.  He is why beaten wives stay with their men. 

I agree that Kathy is weak, but then she need be nothing else - she's just a satellite.  Heathcliff is the sun round which it all revolves.

You've summed up my thoughts perfectly. 

If anyone is a fan of the Bronte's I'd really recommend reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - brilliant stuff!

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 8
RE: Wuthering Heights *Spoilers* - 26/2/2008 1:28:27 PM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twinkle

You've summed up my thoughts perfectly. 

If anyone is a fan of the Bronte's I'd really recommend reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - brilliant stuff!

Ive been meaning to read that for ages!  Must buy it at some point.

Emily Bronte, I feel, is by far the most imginative writer and the one with the best writing ability.  Her poems are beautiful.  This one for example, is called 'How beautiful the Earth is still'.

How beautiful the Earth is still
To thee–how full of Happiness;
How little fraught with real ill
Or shadowy phantoms of distress;

How Spring can bring thee glory yet
And Summer win thee to forget
December's sullen time!
Why dost thou hold the treasure fast
Of youth's delight, when youth is past
And thou art near thy prime?

When those who were thy own compeers,
Equal in fortunes and in years,
Have seen their morning melt in tears,
To dull unlovely day;
Blest, had they died unproved and young
Before their hearts were wildly wrung,
Poor slaves, subdued by passions strong,
A weak and helpless prey!

"Because, I hoped while they enjoyed,
And by fulfilment, hope destroyed
As children hope, with trustful breast,
I waited Bliss and cherished Rest.

"A thoughtful Spirit taught me soon
That we must long till life be done;
That every phase of earthly joy
Will always fade and always cloy--

"This I foresaw, and would not chase
The fleeting treacheries,
But with firm foot and tranquil face
Held backward from the tempting race,
Gazed o'er the sands the waves efface
To the enduring seas–

"There cast my anchor of Desire
Deep in unknown Eternity;
Nor ever let my Spirit tire
With looking for What is to be.

"It is Hope's spell that glorifies
Like youth to my maturer eyes
All Nature's million mysteries--
The fearful and the fair–

"Hope soothes me in the griefs I know,
She lulls my pain for others' woe
And makes me strong to undergo
What I am born to bear.
"Glad comforter, will I not brave
Unawed the darkness of the grave?
Nay, smile to hear Death's billows rave,
My Guide, sustained by thee?

The more unjust seems present fate
The more my Spirit springs elate
Strong in thy strength, to anticipate
Rewarding Destiny!

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Wuthering Heights *Spoilers* Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI