Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 21/5/2012 12:32:51 AM   
vad3r

Predictions?

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 211
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 21/5/2012 8:19:43 AM   
kata

I think Mir has a chance. I know he's easy to ridicule but he's got some good stand up and jiu jitsu. That being said I cant see past JDS.

Anyone else hear about Jon Jones being done for crashing his car while drunk? tarnishes his squeaky clean image somewhat.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/19/jon-jones-dwi-car-crash-bentley-ufc_n_1530460.html

< Message edited by kata -- 21/5/2012 8:20:18 AM >

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 212
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 30/6/2012 1:05:57 PM   
Art Vandelay

So the biggest re-match in UFC history and the biggest sporting event of the year (sorry Olympics) is gonna go down in 1 week. Who do we have winning it this time? Silva's recent media call was genuinely chilling:

http://www.fightcove.com/ufc-148-silva-vs-sonnen-ii-media-call-highlights/

Good luck with all that Chael...

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 213
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 1/7/2012 7:43:20 PM   
kata

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 214
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 8/7/2012 4:55:30 PM   
kata

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 215
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 8/7/2012 5:17:15 PM   
Art Vandelay

Just on a whole other level. Not sure who he'll be facing next but it looks like Bisping is set for a No.1 contender fight against either Alan Belcher or Brian Stann. Now I can't see Bisping (or any other Middleweight on the planet) beating Silva but I'd love to see him get a title shot.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 216
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 16/10/2012 9:18:03 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Just catching up with 153. Silva vs Fitch was a classic.

Post #: 217
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 13/1/2013 10:12:29 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Finally caught up with 155. Disappointing overall, but fair dues to Lauzon for fighting through his own bloodbath.

I see Dos Santos is now saying his head and maybe his body weren't right. Non shit, he was dominated by Velasquez, who for my money showed his weakness in not finishing off JDS when he had him on the ropes.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 13/1/2013 10:15:06 PM >

Post #: 218
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 5/2/2013 7:34:53 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Oh!!!!!!!!

Just watching 156 and Bigfoot Silva has creamed Overeem. Hahahaha.. bet that fucked up Overeem. Fantastic.

Post #: 219
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 15/3/2013 10:50:32 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Anybody else watching TUF 17 with Jones and Sonnen? It's fantastically entertaining! Some good fighters in the middleweight division as well.

Haven't posted in here for a while but I've certainly been keeping up with my UFC viewing. I was gutted Bisping fell at the last hurdle again in hs quest for a title shot, the man deserves one. Looking forward to GSP Diaz this weekend.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 220
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 17/3/2013 5:08:14 AM   
Art Vandelay

Yeah, great season of Ultimate Fighter. Liking the new style in which it's shot also; very UFC Primetime-ish. Also Dana announced tonight that next season's TUF will be coached by Ronda Rousey and the winner of the Tate v Cat fight. They'll be coaching 8 guys & 8 girls! Will all be living and training together. Should be real interesting.

Just watched 158. No surprises in the main event. Very glad Hendricks won though. He genuinely could be the first person to present a legitimate challenge for GSP.

Oh, and what a fight between Hendricks and Condit!!

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 221
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 21/3/2013 11:41:18 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

158 - Pretty darn good show!

Looking forward to Hendricks/GSP whenever that might happen. Hendricks left hand is made of dynamite I think!

TUF - Can not believe that King quit on the stool. Can't believe it. Bubba is going to get killed by Uriah Hall.

Post #: 222
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 25/3/2013 12:06:04 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I thought 158 was disappointing to be honest.

GSP schooled Diaz, didn't allow him any offense really and took him to the mat and nullified his opponent.

Hendricks I thought should have taken out Condit in the first minute. Fair dues to Condit who took some heavy shots. I think Hendricks' own persona has got in his own head, he's a dangerous left, but he has to stay out of trouble too.

Great card for 159 next month

Post #: 223
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 22/4/2013 11:36:32 PM   
jiraffejustin

I know Jones and Sonnen is the big fight at 159, but I am looking forward to Roy Nelson and Cheick Kongo. That has the potential to be a ridiculous slugfest. I'd like to see Roy get a title shot soon, so he needs to go ahead and finish off Cheick Kongo.

Post #: 224
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 25/4/2013 9:01:29 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

On a sidenote, I've really enojyed the first two womes UFC fights, really entertaining.

Oh, and Rousey, *swoon*

(in reply to jiraffejustin)
Post #: 225
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 9/5/2013 1:54:49 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: jiraffejustin

I know Jones and Sonnen is the big fight at 159, but I am looking forward to Roy Nelson and Cheick Kongo. That has the potential to be a ridiculous slugfest. I'd like to see Roy get a title shot soon, so he needs to go ahead and finish off Cheick Kongo.

Did you see it? Concrete hands.

(in reply to jiraffejustin)
Post #: 226
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 14/11/2013 11:03:37 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Anyone see 166? Another mediocre outing by Roy Nelson, but I think we all know that Cormier is the real deal so that was quite a test.

And what a match between Melendez and Sanchez!!!

167 at the weekend. I will confess my man love for GSP. But Hendricks is also a proper opponent, very very powerful man.

Post #: 227
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 14/11/2013 5:20:23 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Yeah I'm still watching them all. Really enjoying it still. So many fighters with great talent, the Sanchez fight was probably the best fight I've ever seen. That guy has the heart of a fucking Lion. In my mind that's how all fighters should fight but, well, you'd never win anything, except an army of fans and some huge bonuses.

Looking forward to the GSP fight, I like him a lot, such a great fighter, but, it would be nice for a change in strap to shake up the division like Middleweight.

The women have really impressed me, never really watched them fight in other promotions so it's been like a breath of fresh air. Plus, I have a huge crush on Rousey!

Post #: 228
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 20/11/2013 3:43:00 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Well,

I had Hendricks winning 3-1 going into the final round that GSP won. Possibly the dodgiest judges decision I've ever seen....

Really felt for Hendricks, to believe you clearly won only to have the judges take it away from you. Bet he's gutted....

Post #: 229
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 20/11/2013 11:57:10 PM   
Professor Moriarty

It's gonna divide opinion for years, isn't it? Here's how I saw a great fight.

I thought it was going to be over in the first minute when GSP reversed Hendricks for the take down and looked set to lock in the guillotine. For the rest of the round, you can make an argument for either fighter, maybe GSP was slightly more aggressive, but I thought Hendricks hurt him more with the elbows and knees. So 10 - 9 Hendricks on my card.

Round 2 and GSP comes out with an attempted Superman punch, but Hendricks' punches hurt. He tagged GSP with uppercuts and its credit to the champ's chin that he stayed on his feet. GSP found his distance then with some jabs, but I think Hendricks can walk through those and could almost afford to take one to land a bigger one. GSP did got in a nice right and a headkick late in the round, but again 10 - 9 Hendricks for me.

Round 3 and Hendricks slows. GSP controls the round for me. Right up to the point that Hendricks' corner tells him to take him to the ground and he does. Still a better round for GSP 10 -9 to him.

Round 4 and I've GSP a point behind. Again, I think GSP is more fluent with the kick and the jab. But Hendricks controls on the floor, cuts GSP with a good elbow and then gets in hard shots again. 10 - 9 Hendricks again.

So, final round GSP is a mess and needs a knock-out on my scorecard. GSP controls and wins the round, but not by 2 points. So I score that 10 - 9 GSP and have Hendricks by a single point.

I guess on the plus side, Hendricks' time will come and most people will say he won that fight and deserves it.

Post #: 230
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 21/11/2013 9:32:07 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

You scored it the same as me. The same as any sane person really.....

Post #: 231
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 21/11/2013 10:46:12 AM   
Dark Knight

I have slowly been getting into UFC over the last few months (thanks to BT Sports) and I have watched most of the PPV's but I am no expert. However, I was rather shocked when GSP retained at the weekend - I felt that over than a weak third round when Hendrick's visibly seemed to take a round out, his work rate and attacking flair far surpassed GSP's. Was a great fight though.

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

Post #: 232
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 21/11/2013 11:41:33 AM   
Professor Moriarty

You, YFU, me and a lot of others too I think Dark Knight.

Obviously it was very close on the official scores, just 1 point in the end. And I'm sure is hard to do when you are at ringside there is the fight happening right before you, an atmosphere in the crowd and no benefit of TV camera angles.

But my problem is that scoring can be determined by who lands most blows and is seen to be the aggressor. You look at the stats and GSP lands more blows. But most of them were fly swats and Hendricks' were big hits. I think the two faces at the end of the bout tell that story, not a mark on Hendricks and GSP looking like he'd been run over by a bus. GSP has become a really good boxer (you might argue too good as probably he should have tried for more take downs in this bout), but Hendricks' southpaw is so good that it completely nullifies GSPs jab. And I guess my argument is that Hendricks doesn't work the jab, so he's not looking as though he's the aggressor and scoring hits, but when he lets that big left go on the counter he's hurting his opponent from a counter-punching tactic. And not to score on number of punches and aggression (i.e. going forwards more) just seems wrong to me.

Still, GSP has been a truly great champion and one of the figures that has really legitimized UFC as a proper sport. Can't take anything away from him there. It looks like he's going to at least take a break and given the emotion in his final words seems like there are some big issues in his life that he needs time to concentrate on, so good luck to him on that and you can't help wonder if that affected his preparation for the fight. Though still, let's take nothing from Hendricks who we all knew is awesome and he proved it by really bringing it to one of the best pound for pound fighters we've seen and I think all will agree giving GSP his toughest fight, even if there are at least 2 people who think GSP won.

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 233
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 21/11/2013 12:03:55 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

You, YFU, me and a lot of others too I think Dark Knight.

Obviously it was very close on the official scores, just 1 point in the end. And I'm sure is hard to do when you are at ringside there is the fight happening right before you, an atmosphere in the crowd and no benefit of TV camera angles.

But my problem is that scoring can be determined by who lands most blows and is seen to be the aggressor. You look at the stats and GSP lands more blows. But most of them were fly swats and Hendricks' were big hits. I think the two faces at the end of the bout tell that story, not a mark on Hendricks and GSP looking like he'd been run over by a bus. GSP has become a really good boxer (you might argue too good as probably he should have tried for more take downs in this bout), but Hendricks' southpaw is so good that it completely nullifies GSPs jab. And I guess my argument is that Hendricks doesn't work the jab, so he's not looking as though he's the aggressor and scoring hits, but when he lets that big left go on the counter he's hurting his opponent from a counter-punching tactic. And not to score on number of punches and aggression (i.e. going forwards more) just seems wrong to me.

Still, GSP has been a truly great champion and one of the figures that has really legitimized UFC as a proper sport. Can't take anything away from him there. It looks like he's going to at least take a break and given the emotion in his final words seems like there are some big issues in his life that he needs time to concentrate on, so good luck to him on that and you can't help wonder if that affected his preparation for the fight. Though still, let's take nothing from Hendricks who we all knew is awesome and he proved it by really bringing it to one of the best pound for pound fighters we've seen and I think all will agree giving GSP his toughest fight, even if there are at least 2 people who think GSP won.

This.

Will the UFC strip him of the belt if he is to retire/take a long break from the sport? What are your thoughts?

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

Post #: 234
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 21/11/2013 12:22:14 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Good question.

UFC President Dana White has taken the news well anyway His stance is that GSP isn't retiring and there will be a re-match. (He also spouted a load of baloney about how GSP owes UFC, which as I've said for a man who legitimized UFC so much and put so many bums on seats sounds churlish).

But there is a UFC in Dallas next year, so Big Rig on home turf in a re-match would sell and sell and sell. I'm not clear what GSPs issues are (there might be several). One is financial, the split with his manager and monies he has to pay. If that is a headache, you can see him taking the fight. The others are more personal (his father dying, relationship issues) and if that is the case I'd much rather not see a man who's head is not in the game take to the ring against someone who can really, really hurt you with one punch.

I don't see an option for UFC but to make the title vacant after say a month or so if GSP sticks to his guns. If so, they have a perfect match lined up Carlos Condit vs. Matt Brown to decide the other participant. Condit should be the favourite for that, already having given GSP a good 5 rounder this time last year.

So in summary I think we know that the next time the welterweight title is up Hendricks will be in one corner. We just don't know who will be in the other corner.

EDIT: Somehow when I wrote that I forgot that Hendricks and Condit fought recently at 158. I'm sure you can find that somewhere if you've not seen it. I'd certainly watch a re-match of Condit's knees against Hendricks' fists.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 21/11/2013 2:25:40 PM >

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 235
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 2/1/2014 5:05:19 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Holy fuck. That has to be the end of Anderson Silva. Geez I hope he recovers that was sick. Congrats to Weidman who looked like he could take him again anyway and magnanimous in victory.

A lot of the other match-ups were blink and you'll miss it. But there's nothing wrong with a bit of explosive entertainment. Ronda might not be the most likeable person in the world, but really she has some technique.

Post #: 236
RE: Affliction Banned - 2/1/2014 5:30:26 PM   
kata

I read somewhere that it's an 18 Month injury, minimum, and it's not an easy road back both mentally and physically. With him being 38 now I think you might be right. Pretty crazy, this time last year you wouldn't have been able to predict it looking like him and GSP leaving the sport.

And that Ronda Judo was superb to watch.

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 237
RE: Affliction Banned - 6/2/2014 7:38:35 PM   
Professor Moriarty

What a great card 169 was!

Just a great stand up slug-fest at the end of the Barao vs. Faber fight and what a knock-out blow.

Was great to see Overeem back and looking up for it and dropping excess muscle.

Bagautinov really is the real deal, isn't he?

And a great win for Trujillo, though he does look like he might rely on power just a bit too much at times.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 238
RE: Affliction Banned - 8/3/2014 1:25:30 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Another very entertaining fight night with 170. I have the hots for Ronda Rousey, devastating.

Post #: 239
RE: Affliction Banned - 14/3/2014 10:08:15 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Yup. I love Ronda

This weekends card should be a cracker!

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI