Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 5/1/2012 10:34:01 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Just been reading the UFCs top 10 tap outs of 2011. Unsurprisingly, despite the sick ending, Mir gets it for subbing Minotauro Nogueira. Great fight, amazing comeback, hardcore submission.

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 181
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 6/1/2012 6:08:46 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Mir is a monster. I think that's the second time he's done that. But if guys do insist on not tapping he's not left much of an option....

So Brock has retired, good decision in my opinion. I don't think he quite has the heart for it, he's probably better off back in the WWE. His health problems obviously haven't helped his cause in the UFC but I still don't think he really had what it takes to make it, I know that sounds silly considering he was a UFC champion but he was practically thrown straight into the title mix without earning it. Still, respect the guy, he could have fought nobodies but her pretty much fought the elite of heavyweight division.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 182
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 6/1/2012 10:11:43 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I had a friendly 10 bet with a mate that Brock wouldn't make it out of the first round. Stomach problems or not I had Overeem as massive favourite to win the fight. He has Lesner's bulk but with mad skillz as well . I reckon Dos Santos is shitting himself right about now, Overeem's a monster, I've been waiting a couple of years for him to fight in the UFC and now I wouldn't be surprised to see him dominating the Heavyweight division for a while.

Now all I want is for Shinya Aoki to come over from Dream and take that title off Frankie Edgar and I'll be happy.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 183
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 6/1/2012 6:21:18 PM   
Sledge Hammer

Lets not forget that Overeem was the guy who first took down Fedor - the guy is the real deal.

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 184
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 7/1/2012 1:27:55 AM   
JJ Holiday

Ubereem fought Fedor?!? Um no...

Overeem, at heart, is still the skinny dutch kid from PRIDE that doesn't like getting punched in the face. JDS outboxes/wrestles him to a late stoppage and Velasquez would outclass him too, he could handle the rest of the division though. But that really says more about the quality (or lack thereof) of the HW division than Overeem's skills as a fighter. He possesses a certain mystique based on his appearance and an affable charisma but he is lacking in quality wins at HW.

Time will tell though...

"Stay frosty"

Post #: 185
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 7/1/2012 8:30:44 AM   
Sledge Hammer

my bad - I meant Werdum!

I will go and sit in the corner for a while

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 186
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 14/1/2012 2:54:38 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Johnson moves up from 170lbs to middleweight to make the weight easier, then weighs in about a stone over. Arse.

Post #: 187
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 14/1/2012 3:04:38 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Looking at their recent results I predict the Aldo v Mendes fight will be a 5 round snooze fest. Hopefully I'm wrong though (it wouldn't be the first time, even today) and it'll be an action packed fight with an explosive finish.

There's an event pretty much every week now for the next 4 or 5 weeks. Even with the cherry picking of Strkeforce's best fighters I think the UFC is spreading itself too thinly.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 188
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 16/1/2012 12:45:11 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Looking at their recent results I predict the Aldo v Mendes fight will be a 5 round snooze fest. Hopefully I'm wrong though (it wouldn't be the first time, even today) and it'll be an action packed fight with an explosive finish.

There's an event pretty much every week now for the next 4 or 5 weeks. Even with the cherry picking of Strkeforce's best fighters I think the UFC is spreading itself too thinly.

Shows what I know.

What an amazing event.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 189
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 16/1/2012 8:11:35 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Only saw the first fight, which already is a strong contender for KO of the year! Should catch the rest of the card by mid-week. Looking forward to it.

Post #: 190
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 16/1/2012 11:57:15 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Only saw the first fight, which already is a strong contender for KO of the year! Should catch the rest of the card by mid-week. Looking forward to it.

I'd say it was contender for one of the best KO's ever seen in the cage myself. It was a phenomenal kick, connecting bang on with his heel and Etim went stiff as a board.

The whole event pretty much kept up that standard all the way through. Great stuff.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 191
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 16/1/2012 12:36:34 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Just catching up with a bit more of it now. Just through the Silva "fight". When I first saw it, I thought the blows were iffy. Then in the replay it looked okay, so funny decision that to disqualify Silva.

Devastating from Palhares, must be like getting in the ring against a young Tyson

Terrible conditioning from Rumble who was going for the knockout blow from square one against Vitor. You just knew if that didn't happen the fight would only go one way and great skill from Vito to take it in the first.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 16/1/2012 1:05:45 PM >

Post #: 192
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 16/1/2012 1:29:15 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Just catching up with a bit more of it now. Just through the Silva "fight". When I first saw it, I thought the blows were iffy. Then in the replay it looked okay, so funny decision that to disqualify Silva.

Agreed. In real time I thought it looked dodgy as well but in slow-mo it looked fine.

quote:

Devastating from Palhares, must be like getting in the ring against a young Tyson

Imagine him getting hold of your leg

quote:

Terrible conditioning from Rumble who was going for the knockout blow from square one against Vitor. You just knew if that didn't happen the fight would only go one way and great skill from Vito to take it in the first.

Yeah I can't understand why he had to cut so much weight so quickly. He'd known about the fight for ages and that's his usual fighting weight is it not? Anyway, if you get into the cage with someone like Belfort when you're not 100% then you're going to pay.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 193
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 16/1/2012 1:35:25 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Agreed. In real time I thought it looked dodgy as well but in slow-mo it looked fine.

I was purposely not reading tweets until I'd had chance to see the event. But I do think I saw something about Silva being paid his bonus or something on a quick scan of messages yesterday, which seems to make sense if this was re-reviewed. Yamasaki is normally a good ref, so bit of an aberration there, but to be quite honest I'd prefer UFC to err on the side of cation and making fights "safe" than the other end of the scale.

Just going to watch the Aldo fight now.

As you said earlier a gruelling schedule for UFC in the next few weeks and indeed all year, I just hope they can keep this quality up.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 16/1/2012 1:52:20 PM >

Post #: 194
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 17/1/2012 10:24:38 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Amazing knockout!

So it's now Sonnen Vs Bisping, winner gets a shot at Anderson Silva. I'm torn, I'd love to see a Silva Sonnen rematch but I'd live for a Brit to have a crack at a title again....should be a good fight though.

Post #: 195
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 18/1/2012 1:14:09 AM   
Art Vandelay

Finally caught up on Saturday's event. Wow! What a fight card. Featured one of the best KO's and celebrations in UFC history and I read that the main card lasted only 23 minutes of actual fighting in the octagon. Those Brazilians know how to put on a show!

I'm torn pretty much the exact same way YFU, but I think come fight night, I'm gonna be rooting for Bisping; even if I do think it's gonna be a horribly tough match for him. Also, now that Maia is without an opponent, I was thinking, Maia v Palhares? Probably not enough time for Palhares to prepare (even if he took very little damage) but that would be a dream fight for any BJJ fan.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

Post #: 196
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 18/1/2012 7:22:49 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Amazing knockout!

Did you find yourself saying "timber!" on the replay?

Post #: 197
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 18/1/2012 9:07:00 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Amazing knockout!

Did you find yourself saying "timber!" on the replay?

Every single time

I'm looking forward to the Bisping v Sonnen fight. I can't stand Sonnen, he's a fucking idiot, but he's very dangerous. If Bisping does a better job than Silva did of keeping the fight on it's feet then I fancy his chances. If it hits the gorund Sonnen will tear him apart.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 198
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 5/2/2012 6:19:45 PM   
Professor Moriarty

While lacking the explosive knock-outs and solid tap-outs of recent UFC PPVs this was actually a very good card with some solid in-ring action. I enjoyed that. A very strong 2012 so far from UFC.

Post #: 199
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 6/2/2012 10:31:42 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I honestly thought Bisping did enough to edge a decision against Chael, but it was certainly close. Chael will need to improve on that considerably if he's wanting to beat Silva in Brazil.

January has been hectic UFC wise. I'm struggling to remember all the fights. Werdum was solid this weekend, how Big Country took that punishment is beyond me. Condit with the win as well.

Looking forward to Edgar in a couple of weeks in Japan.

Post #: 200
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 12/2/2012 10:47:36 PM   
vad3r

Will we ever see Anderson Silva V GSP?

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

Post #: 201
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 13/2/2012 12:26:30 PM   
Art Vandelay

One day hopefully. Dana's said it could happen. Would have to be fought at Middleweight as Silva walks round as a light-heavyweight when not fighting. I think I'd rather see a light-heavyweight crash between Silva and Jon Jones, something that I'm pretty sure will happen before Silva retires.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 202
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 24/2/2012 12:17:50 AM   
vad3r

Is Fedor Emelianenko the greatest fighter of all time?

Best. Troll. Ever.

His mic skills are second only to The Rock.

quote:

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 203
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 24/2/2012 8:06:03 AM   
Professor Moriarty

That guy really is one scary MF. The speed and accuracy of his punches is just ridiculous. Reminds me of Tyson in his pomp, but with added take down moves!

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 204
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 24/2/2012 11:24:01 PM   
vad3r

quote:

That guy really is one scary MF. The speed and accuracy of his punches is just ridiculous. Reminds me of Tyson in his pomp, but with added take down moves!

Fedor or Chael Sonnen?

quote:

Post #: 205
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 4/3/2012 7:53:46 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I felt a bit sorry for Edgar last week. I had him down as winning three rounds to two but the judges obviously saw it differently. It was certainly close so I can see how it happened. I just didn't think Henderson did quite enough to take the strap from the champ. Yes he landed the more powerful punches but Edgar caught a lot of kicks, landed the most punches and had the most takedowns. I feel the judges were swayed by the damage to Edgars face. Anyway, we have a new champ and hopefully the Lightweight division can now start to clear the backlog (that's if Edgar doesn't get the rematch he's after).

I personally agree with Dana and he should move down a division and take on Aldo, the guys there are more his size and if he can be a force at Lightweight imagine what he can do in the right weight division. Doesn't look like he wan'ts to drop down though which is a shame. If he does decide to stay at Lightweight though I feel he should get his rematch, after all he took rematches with Penn and Maynard.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 206
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 4/3/2012 10:14:09 AM   
kata

quote:

I personally agree with Dana and he should move down a division and take on Aldo, the guys there are more his size and if he can be a force at Lightweight imagine what he can do in the right weight division. Doesn't look like he wan'ts to drop down though which is a shame. If he does decide to stay at Lightweight though I feel he should get his rematch, after all he took rematches with Penn and Maynard.

I think Penn is done, didn't he retire a few events back?

Missed last weeks event and then my mam spoilt the 2 results I cared about the day after.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 207
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 4/3/2012 10:24:11 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I think he intially decided to retire in the heat of the moment and later said that he was taking some time out but I don't think he's officially retired yet.

I'd also like to go on record as saying you have the coolest mum so I'd forgive her, I'd love it if my mum knew what she was talking about enough to ruin the results!

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 208
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 4/3/2012 11:03:39 AM   
kata

quote:

I think he intially decided to retire in the heat of the moment and later said that he was taking some time out but I don't think he's officially retired yet.

I'd also like to go on record as saying you have the coolest mum so I'd forgive her, I'd love it if my mum knew what she was talking about enough to ruin the results!

It's not as cool as it sounds, she only watches it because she's forced to. It's my step dad that's into it. She was moaning because she wanted to watch Wild at Heart...

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 209
RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship - 7/3/2012 10:46:44 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Just catching up on UFC 144 now. Cracking start. Excellent knock down in the first and then some wonderful technical work from Hioki in the second fight.

Oh, it gets better. How the hell did Boetsch get that win?!

quote:

I felt a bit sorry for Edgar last week. I had him down as winning three rounds to two but the judges obviously saw it differently. It was certainly close so I can see how it happened. I just didn't think Henderson did quite enough to take the strap from the champ. Yes he landed the more powerful punches but Edgar caught a lot of kicks, landed the most punches and had the most takedowns. I feel the judges were swayed by the damage to Edgars face. Anyway, we have a new champ and hopefully the Lightweight division can now start to clear the backlog (that's if Edgar doesn't get the rematch he's after).

Cracking fight. I thought that Henderson did enough to win, but not enough to dislodge the champion (does that make sense?) anyway, if Edgar doesn't drop down, can't wait for the rematch.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 7/3/2012 12:59:19 PM >

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI