Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? Page: [1]
[Poll]

Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story?

The BFG
  14% (7)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  14% (7)
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
  0% (0)
Danny, The Champion of the World
  16% (8)
Fantastic Mr Fox
  10% (5)
George's Marvellous Medicine
  12% (6)
James and the Giant Peach
  6% (3)
Matilda
  8% (4)
The Twits
  10% (5)
The Witches
  6% (3)

Total Votes : 48

(last vote on : 31/8/2009 4:59:10 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 1/2/2008 11:53:30 PM   
Southall Sissoko

Just wanted to find out which of Roald Dahl's children stories is most highly-regarded by the good people of the Empire forum. Enjoy!
Post #: 1
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 2/2/2008 12:42:15 AM   
Funkyrae

Danny, Champion of the World all the way for me.  I adored this growing up and loved the film of it, my adoration of Jeremy Irons notwithstanding.

Although I have to say I can't see Boy or The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar up there.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Southall Sissoko)
Post #: 2
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 2/2/2008 4:58:40 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

George's Marvellous Medicine has always been my favourite.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 3
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 2/2/2008 6:28:56 AM   
siegfried

I remember reading Danny The Champion Of The World to my class. They voted three to one for it as their favourite book of the year.
It's a beautiful, funny, moving story of the deep love between a father and his son. I love it.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 4
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 2/2/2008 11:42:02 PM   
Funkyrae

Oh God yeah!  Don't you just want him to be your dad?

That's me that is!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 5
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 2/2/2008 11:53:27 PM   
bobatim

Fantasic Mr Fox was always my favourite as a child, and still is.

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 6
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 2/2/2008 11:55:42 PM   
nomimalone

Has to be Danny for me too. My primary teacher read it to us and I loved it. I then borrowed or bought every Roald Dahl book and I love them all. Matilda and The Witches are also favourites - both became very good films too.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 7
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 3/2/2008 3:15:56 PM   
naomi

the twits - it was the first Dahl book I remember reading and I loved it

But Lucy I'm British!!!
- So are these!

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 8
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 3/2/2008 7:44:57 PM   
Chi Chi_ Chiuaua

I LOVED Roald Dahl books when I was young, for the illustration as well as the stories. However, the first book I ever read by Dahl (and favourite) was 'Charlie and the Chocolate factory'. I loved it so much, that I would read it and as soon as I had finished it I would read it all over again, I never got bored of it.

(in reply to naomi)
Post #: 9
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 3/2/2008 7:51:42 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

George's Marvellous Medicine. It's complete anarchy and I still giggle when I read it.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Chi Chi_ Chiuaua)
Post #: 10
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 3/2/2008 7:58:30 PM   
BobaJango

They are all fantastic. I voted The BFG but i think that Charlie and the great glass elevator is very underated. It is overshadowed by Charlie and the chocolate factory but the former deserves better recognition.

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 11
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 4/2/2008 12:46:21 PM   
white mage

I like The Twits because for once the charactors are actally said to be ugly. You don't hear in other books charactor apperance trairts. It's all about the hair and eye colour. I also like George's Marvalous Medicine because it's really funny.

We do not write the songs, we live them

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 12
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 5/2/2008 8:37:29 PM   
sarahlouise

I love all of Roald Dahls books but had to choose Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, always used to wish when I was reading it that I could eat all those sweets and lick the lickable wallpaper!

(in reply to white mage)
Post #: 13
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 8/2/2008 5:03:32 PM   
Fanboyslayer

I love them all really but I had to go with Danny The Champion of the World. Just love that book.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to sarahlouise)
Post #: 14
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 8/2/2008 5:09:23 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Definitely Matilda for me.

The idea of a young girl using MAGIC to get back at her bully school headmistress appealed to me greatly as a young child.

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 15
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 8/2/2008 10:04:53 PM   
Twinkle

Fantastic Mr Fox - words can't describe how much I loved that book as a kid.  Still do.  Genius.

Matilda is a close second (methinks JK Rowling is quite the fan, too...)  Mrs Trunchbull has to be one of the greatest villains ever conceived.

In Thom We Trust

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 16
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 8/2/2008 11:22:19 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

BFG, though all are mostly brilliant. His autobiographies are good too.

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 17
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 24/2/2008 12:50:05 PM   
Mindy

Yes, Danny the Champion of the World!

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 18
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 24/2/2008 1:12:43 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Nearly went for Fantastic Mr Fox but The Witches just edges it, it used to scare the crap out of me when I was younger. 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Mindy)
Post #: 19
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 25/2/2008 2:53:05 PM   
Dozy McGrew

Danny, The Champion of the World for me, just. I can hear Dahl's voice with it's mischievous tone in that book more than any other. Not to say I don't love them all they were such a massive part of my childhood.
Also George's Marvellous Medicine is the best Jackanory story ever with Rik Mayall reading it. I would love that on DVD.

We're in the stickiest situation since sticky the stick-insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 20
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 26/2/2008 3:41:09 PM   
jonathan74

George's Marvellous Medicine - I too remember Rik Mayall reading it on Jackanory!

Do you really care about the last 5 movies I watched?

(in reply to Dozy McGrew)
Post #: 21
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 22/3/2008 1:26:24 PM   
bozo

They're all brilliant, but the Witches is my favourite, followed closely by Chocolate Factory, Matilda, Danny, Fantastic Mr. Fox... I told you they're all brilliant!

(in reply to jonathan74)
Post #: 22
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 28/3/2008 7:59:24 PM   
xmagic_dustx

I love all of his books, but Matilda and The Witches are probably my favourites. Oh and The BFG!

"I've killed a Hell of a lot of people to get to this point."

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 23
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 1/4/2008 12:35:06 AM   
zombiemaster

the twits for me (only one i can remember)

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

(in reply to xmagic_dustx)
Post #: 24
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 1/4/2008 4:20:06 PM   
skeletonjack

Probably The Witches, but I loved them all as a kid (still have them somewhere) and still do.
I can still quote Revolting Rhymes to this day!

(in reply to zombiemaster)
Post #: 25
RE: Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? - 1/4/2008 5:41:22 PM   
tommyjarvis

What about The Enormous Crocodile? Went for The BFG myself, I used to love the muddled-up words throughout it.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Which is your favourite Roald Dahl children's story? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI