Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: There Will Be Blood

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: There Will Be Blood Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: There Will Be Blood - 20/3/2008 9:50:32 AM   
homersimpson_esq

You make some excellent points richCie, and I look forward to reading the rest of your analysis! One point tho, if you make a separate thread, a mod will just lock it and refer you here, so you may as well continue it here. 

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 151
Good, but possibly overblown... (mild spoilers maybe) - 21/3/2008 6:35:29 PM   
woj101

Being a fan of film I thought I'd bettercheck this out while it was still in the cinemas after hearing Kermode prattle on about it.

From the outset the film generates a very watchable atmosphere and it's excellently shot and acted, no doubt there, and the length of the film is just right for the material it covers.

But going there ignorant to the story I was about to experience, I left feeling a little underwhelmed and wondering what the point to the story was - 'greed makes people nasty' was not to my mind an earth-shattering revelation. I'm not a money man but found myself empathising with Plainview in his treatment of Eli Sunday - hence I found the bullying scenes, and the final scene, humorous as I felt Eli had had it coming to him from Day One.

Just reading a few interpretations of the film it would seem that you should look at the characters of Plainview and Eli as personifications of the development of American society as a whole. This seems valid and fairly interesting, but again, nothing particularly seminal.

Whilst I accept, as with most films, you appreciate them more with repeat viewings, I'm not sure there's anything in the story or the way it's delivered that's gonna make me want to go back and sit through it all again, whereas No Country For Old Men definitely would. Whilst I felt emotion during the lunch scene when HW has returned and Plainview is making little attempt to acknowledge his deafness, the film in general failed to generate enough emotion inside me to make me think it's a classic.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 152
A Cinematic classic - 21/3/2008 10:13:22 PM   
richCie

finally i saw this last night :)
as i walked out i had no idea what to say to 'what did u think?' questions. its the kind of film you really have to let it sink in for a while, and i think you need to be prepared for that when you see it. if you base your opinion on your immediate reaction to it, i think it will probably be a skewed opinion. Daniel Day-Lewis' performance was... ultimately horrifying and yet completely believable. you are not watching an actor play a charcter, you are watching the character, and i think Day-Lewis is one of the few actors who cna really do that. i for one dont find the ending off-tone, it was the logical conclusion to Plainview's hatred and obsessions. his ambition was to be able to isolate himself from 'these people' and when Eli and HW intrude upon this his anger is going to be even more pronounced which of course it is.
*SPOILERS*
i also think some of his resentment twards HW comes from the fact that he isnt biologically his son, if he sets up a new company it wont be 'continuing the family business' as there is no real family. i think no matter how much he hates people he still feels regret at his inability to be a part of a real family, his supposed brother is an imposter and his (now disabled) son is adopted. his legacy, if you will, is bastardised. there is a contrast between his 'family' and the Sunday's and yet even there we have this division within the family heirachy. Eli is turning against his father, rejecting the 'family' that really he should be supporting (he is afterall meant to be a devout Christian). Eli is just as warped a human being as Daniel, but in a polarised sense. whereas Daniel rejects the company of people, Eli thrives of their adulation and their fervent belief in him. He is equally manipulative and as competitive. he sees that Daniel has arrived and is stealing his position as the centre of the Little Boston society, and Eli refuses to accept that. He is trying to destroy Daniel just as much as Daniel is trying to destroy him, but in a different manner. Eli is trying to make Daniel 'one of his flock; by trying to bring him into his church Eli wants to bring Daniel into his control. when Plainview blesses the drill, it is becuase he realises that Eli is trying to maintain his heirachial position within the community, and as Daniel is so competitive he refuses to let that happen. when Eli begins to lose this conflict he finds someone to blame (his father and his brother Paul) for letting this 'devil' in.
however even with their conflict, both are prepared to sacrifice everything to sustain their success. Daniel's concession to baptism is only so that he can continue building his empire. the fact that he almost succumbs to the confession shows that there is some glimmer of humanity left within him, but the desire for oil and wealth chokes it. Eli on the other hand is not as corrupted by his obsessions as Daniel is. Come the end of the film, although he has digressed to a position of poverty he at least remains communicative and more recognisable as a human being. He is the loser of the conflict both in the short term (Daniels success at Little Boston) and the long term (his murder) but in some sense he has lost the least. with his isolation Daniel's hatred and bitterness are allowed to consume him until he is physically and emotionally stunted. it is shocking to see the results to which people can be driven. In this i found the film horrifyingly realistic, it seems too possible that this man we witness could exist, and so there is no doubt that this is ulitmatly an uncomfortable film to watch. at the same time however, it is a masterpiece of both cinema and in it's depiction of the decadence of man.
The camera work is flawless, entrancing, overwhelming and in this i think the film surpasses The Assassination Of Jesse James.
The soundtrack is also exceptional, the harsh almost bitter sounds echo the harrowing scenes.
this is certainly not the most fun you will have at the cinema, and it most definately wouldnt be in line with everyone's taste, but it is certainly a masterfull piece of film making and a strong contender for film of the year.

anyway there's my analysis for now, i think i left it too late to finish it off, lost the flow of things towards the end, but let me know what you think.

< Message edited by richCie -- 21/3/2008 10:33:48 PM >

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to woj101)
Post #: 153
RE: A Cinematic classic - 24/3/2008 1:00:17 PM   
TheGodfather

There will be bud! (CLICK!)

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 154
RE: A Cinematic classic - 24/3/2008 2:19:34 PM   
homersimpson_esq

That is absolutely brilliant! The actors are spot on!
"If my bong stretches acrooooooooos the room!"
and
"When do we get our ganga, Daniel?"

Class!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 155
RE: A Cinematic classic - 25/3/2008 5:15:17 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Very funny

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 156
- 27/3/2008 10:48:53 AM   
Eomer_King

A raging power-house of a film, dripping with tension and a cold cynical atmosphere. Day-Lewis's performance is undoubtedly his best yet, the scheming, malevolent eyes of a born liar positively glow beneath his faux-genial exterior. His portrayal is of a monster as they exist in reality. Daniel Plainview has the concerns and foibles of any mortal but it is his relentless, chilling pursuit of power and fortune coupled with a willingness to do, and say, anything that marks him out. He veers from clearly unhinged arrogance - witness the moment where he rejects a mere million dollars - to heartfelt affection and barely concealed kindness towards the boy he calls a son.

Indeed the leading man's performance is such that almost every other facet of the film, including the stunning photography, is drowned out. Only the ethereal Dillon Freasier and Paul Dano manage to be heard. Dano in particular displays an unpleasant mix of petulance, greed and piety that rankles with Plainview, driving him towards his final, thudding revenge.

Post #: 157
- 1/4/2008 6:53:04 PM   
David G

Post #: 158
RE: Daniel Day Lewis Does Al Pacino - 4/4/2008 3:40:31 PM   
Axel Foley

Iíve not been on these forums for a while, so thereís quite a bit of reviewing to catch up on. There Will Be Blood is owed particular attention by me though I donít have enough time to do it justice.

First off I must say congratulations to Helen on her review. Credit where itís due and her review does the film the justice it is due.

The film? Well itís epic yet personal and easy on the eye yet so harsh and gritty. Paul Thomas Anderson manages to cover a great amount ground and take the viewer through so many extremes that the film quite felt like nothing else Iíve seen. Yes there are elements of Treasure of Sierra Madre and also the lesser-known James Stewart vehicle Thunder Bay, but as many have already noted, There Will be Blood is unlike anything to have gone before.

As a play on greed and the corrupting influence of money and power it has few rivals. Day Lewisís larger than life performance, moreover, is subtler than some would believe. Yes he spits out dialogue as though a landowner blocking his path, but watch how he nurtures and looks on in adoration at young H.W. Is it genuine love? His intelligent portrayal poses such questions to the viewer: this isnít a film you can forget in a hurry.

Hell Iím writing this almost two months since I saw it and those subtleties stick in my mind as much as the milkshake analogies, blazing rigs or indeed the sonorous strings and percussion of the score. There Will Be Blood is rightly being hailed as one of the decadeís great films and in time will be regarded as one of the greats period. Canít wait to see it again.

quote:

ORIGINAL: shadow

quote:

ORIGINAL: richardpettet

Acts one and two are great, the third, however, descends into Daniel Day Lewis doing his best Al PAcino impersonation. That's to say scenery chewing showboating. I couldn't disagree more strongly with Empire's assessment that "it finishes with a scene that seems tonally so at odds with everything that has gone before, jars so horribly, that you're afraid it's scuppered the entire thing - until you go home, think about it for a day or two, and realise that it's perfect." It's not perfect, it's hilariously mis-judged. People were actually laughing as though it were a Farrelly film. Day Lewis is the best thing about the first half of the movie and easily the worst thing about the second half.

Spoilers herein, possibly:

I loved the ending. When I saw it I thought "what were they talking about? This is brilliant!" I didn't feel it was "tonally so at odds with everything that has gone before" but rather a cathartic explosion of all the muted anger that had been boiling inside Daniel Plainview, and therefor inside me, throughout the film. I felt it fit perfectly.

It was, in a way, what I had been increasingly waiting to happen for the film's duration. And I could and did identify with Plainview. Maybe that's because I too hate most people and want to get away from everyone. So, I don't know, maybe I'm alone here, but I felt his pain and madness take over a bit in the same vain as they are taking over me in real life. So the ending was good -- both purgative, and a grim view into the future, into the end, of someone who has become drunk with power and anger.

It's a grand finale, yes, and the fact that it may cause some people to laugh -- it made me smile for sure -- is not a bad thing at all.

Agree with that (well apart from wanting to do a Plainview that it is). There was complete silence in the auditorium I was sat in, so clearly different audiences see it differently. I think if it did make me smile, it was down to Eliís complete naivety. He thinks Plainview is a friend after he helped him get permission to stick a pipeline through the land. Heís like a child coming round to play, but this is a manís world and one in which the weak get squashed, something Plainview delights in. Weíve already seen a hint of his sociopathic nature in dealing with the oilmen after they innocently enough give him some guidance on parenting. Heíd have killed them under different circumstances and the Anderson puts that thought into the viewerís mind right there: there will be blood.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to shadow)
Post #: 159
MY HERO! - 5/4/2008 4:23:17 PM   
neurotically_yours

Daniel Day-Lewis is nothing short of amazing, proves once again why he is called the Greatest Actor of his Generation. His performance sucks you in completely and gives you the most personal kind of insight. Paul Dano also turns in an incredible performance and it is a shame that he is overlooked for Day-Lewis. The music and directing in this are perfect, no mis-steps actually perfect. It is beautifully shot and the music just helps to make the film the masterpiece that it undoubtably is.

Post #: 160
Disappointing - 7/4/2008 6:51:37 PM   
Davechoc

Day-Lewis's peformance is immense, and I don't think the final scene went over-the-top at all. His screen presence, his intoxicating voice, everything about his character is pitched perfectly from the off. Unfortunately the film can't decide whether it's a portrait of him as a man or telling the story of his conflict with Dano's preacher, and as a result the pacing is uneven and indecisive.

We get his relationship with his son, with other oil men, with the townspeople, but these ought to be adding extra dimension to a central narrative around the conflict between Plainview and Sunday, between nascent corporate megalomania and religious primitivism - instead the other story elements take too much time from this and as a result the film never quite builds up enough tension to justify the final catharsis. It feels epic and timeless, but it left me unsatisfied.

Post #: 161
Disappointing - 7/4/2008 6:51:39 PM   
Davechoc

Day-Lewis's peformance is immense, and I don't think the final scene went over-the-top at all. His screen presence, his intoxicating voice, everything about his character is pitched perfectly from the off. Unfortunately the film can't decide whether it's a portrait of him as a man or telling the story of his conflict with Dano's preacher, and as a result the pacing is uneven and indecisive.

We get his relationship with his son, with other oil men, with the townspeople, but these ought to be adding extra dimension to a central narrative around the conflict between Plainview and Sunday, between nascent corporate megalomania and religious primitivism - instead the other story elements take too much time from this and as a result the film never quite builds up enough tension to justify the final catharsis. It feels epic and timeless, but it left me unsatisfied.

Post #: 162
RE: Disappointing - 8/4/2008 11:51:45 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

While I thought Day-Lewis fully deserved the best acting Oscar for an amazing performance I was left by the end feeling slightly underwhelmed considering the praise lavished upon this movie. I don't know but didn't anyone find it dragged at times?

Plus the way it shifted to his adopted son's adulthood and Plainview's embittered future with no explanation for his subsequent state of mind left me feeling an important chunk of story had gone missing.

That said the final scene was a stunning piece of acting and reminded us why Daniel Day-Lewis is truly one of the best actors around. On the other hand for some reason I wasn't massively impressed by Paul Dano - his character just seemed plain odd and I couldn't believe in him as some sort of young firebrand preacher.

Overall in terms of the best films of last year Jesse James should clearly have won best film - it's superior to both this and No Country For Old Men

(in reply to Davechoc)
Post #: 163
- 11/4/2008 9:47:11 PM   
willchadwick

This is easily the best film of 2008. No question. Atonement was showy, Michael Clayton was a bit slow, Juno isn't Oscar material but I loved it. No Country for Old Men the film that I didn't think would be beaten as in the screening of NCFOM I the trailer for There Will Be Blood and thought it looked dull. However when I read a 3 star review in the Daily Mail, I decided I would go see it because newspaper critics are always wrong. And I was blown away. It is unbelievable that in this year we have some decent releases and they keep coming. NCFOM, TWBB, Sweeney Todd, Juno, The Orphanage, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly are all so great. And TWBB is the best out of the lot and that is saying a lot. This is Paul Thomas Anderson's finest film to date, he reinvents the language of modern cinema by doing something that I cannot put my finger on, it is very well written and well directed. And the direction really shines in the scene when the Oil derrick explodes it is a well constructed scene using a great tracking shot and some great editing and build up to create the stand out scene for the film. Not only is it a turning point in the whole film but it shows us the first glimpse of Plainview being this man who has become obssesed with his profession and not being a family man. The opening is fantastic, 14 and a half minutes of ambient noise blended with Jonny Greenwood's amazing score which puts you in the right mood for the film as this puts you in the feeling of impending doom and the uncomfortable position, which works to the film's advantage as half way through you have no idea where the film is going to end up, (NCFOM also did this) you really feel that you are there with Plainview drilling for the oil. The film is all about the character Daniel Plainview who is played by the magisterial Daniel Day Lewis and he really is brilliant, I mean just so good. He holds together a two and half hour tough going film without making it look like hard work. He draws you in with

Post #: 164
RE: There Will Be Blood - 14/4/2008 8:25:47 PM   
Paxton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lydia_H

I was very, very underwhelmed with this. Perhaps my expectations were too high. But Anderson's direction seemed aimless and distant to me. Although he has the likes of Day-Lewis and Dano primed to deliver astounding performances too often he seems distracted away from them, but by what? They're always nothing more than promising, they scarcely get an opportunity to really deliver which is a terrible disappointment. I have no problem with Day-Lewis winning an Oscar for this, I just feel his performance is hamstrung. Maybe not strictly by Anderson because the script also seemed a bit weak to me, maybe the source material could shoulder some of the blame.

I didn't think it was a slow film, in fact it seemed surprisingly brief. Although obviously there were the makings of something really epic, it strikes me as very hasty and superficial filmmaking

6/10

When I first read this, I was rather stumped. I scratched my beard a couple of times as I wondered where to begin defending the various criticisms you have launched at the movie. I re-read your critique, attempting to fathom at which junction our appreciation of the film had diverged. And then, like a bolt out of the blue, the simple answer hit me:

You, madam, are a moron.

I drink your milkshake.

Films I am jazzed for:

Not a whole lot these days...

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 165
RE: There Will Be Blood - 14/4/2008 9:59:47 PM   
Lydia_H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paxton

quote:

I was very, very underwhelmed with this. Perhaps my expectations were too high. But Anderson's direction seemed aimless and distant to me. Although he has the likes of Day-Lewis and Dano primed to deliver astounding performances too often he seems distracted away from them, but by what? They're always nothing more than promising, they scarcely get an opportunity to really deliver which is a terrible disappointment. I have no problem with Day-Lewis winning an Oscar for this, I just feel his performance is hamstrung. Maybe not strictly by Anderson because the script also seemed a bit weak to me, maybe the source material could shoulder some of the blame.

I didn't think it was a slow film, in fact it seemed surprisingly brief. Although obviously there were the makings of something really epic, it strikes me as very hasty and superficial filmmaking

6/10

When I first read this, I was rather stumped. I scratched my beard a couple of times as I wondered where to begin defending the various criticisms you have launched at the movie. I re-read your critique, attempting to fathom at which junction our appreciation of the film had diverged. And then, like a bolt out of the blue, the simple answer hit me:

You, madam, are a moron.

I suppose even though it was a pretty forgettable post, regarding a debate that ended ages ago, it was very nicely decorated with lovely words. Well done, Paxton

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to Paxton)
Post #: 166
RE: There Will Be Blood - 15/4/2008 12:18:51 AM   
Paxton

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paxton

quote:

6/10

You, madam, are a moron.

I suppose even though it was a pretty forgettable post, regarding a debate that ended ages ago, it was very nicely decorated with lovely words. Well done, Paxton

Ahthengyou, miss.

I actually meant to delete the message, as it turned out rather more offensive than I had intended, but got distracted by problems at work. I'm glad you took it in good humour. Thank you.

I drink your milkshake.

Films I am jazzed for:

Not a whole lot these days...

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 167
There will be zzzzzz....... - 15/4/2008 1:11:32 PM   
FlexDream

I was in a minority in finding this an exceedingly mediocre film, but absolutely no-one liked the ending, and views of the film itself were decidely mixed. Less facial hair than Gettysburg. Nice recreations of early drilling rigs - I did enjoy that. Ridiculous treatment of frontier religion.

Post #: 168
Plainfilm - 16/4/2008 7:59:53 PM   
Daniel James Taylor

There are no doubts of Day-Lewis's brilliance to be found in this film. As mentioned in one of the other reviews: "He doesn't play the character, he is the character" (paraphrasing slightly). I just found Daniel not that interesting of a character to watch this time. I felt that Daniel never actually managed to climb out of the dark pit into which he fell at the start of the film, searching for wealth from within a crack in the ground. Although he did find Eli at the bottom of that pit, and the meeting of these thunderous personalities was the only story to be told there. HW's story just blandly stepped into our field of vision whilst we were watching those two characters, who when placed together became instantly classic, go physically and morally head to head - Plainview trying to plunder Eli's oil right from under the feet of his Church. Dano i liked a lot - the disturbance he portrayed moved me to a degree which, to be honest, Anderson's direction didn't, or maybe in fairness couldn't or wouldn't due to the material. Daniel and Dano sparred viciously well, and like a firey contest between two anti-heroes, i didn't know for whom to stake support. When they each had their turn striking the other to the face, i applauded the man that had landed the blow. I don't think that Anderson really knew who to support either: I think that's why Anderson trod through it so carefully, like he was carrying a bomb on his shoulders. Three stars for the prize fight between two greatly villainous characters, "acted" superbly, and three stars for making no mistakes directing the fight and capturing the dark dedication of both characters, but Anderson didn't referee the contest very well though, and as a broader story outside of the face off between Eli and Daniel, it lacked depth and quality, and to be frank, when held up against some other 5 star movies, definetely shows itself as inferior! Even in light of Day-Lewis's brilliance, and Dano's for that matter, i wouldnt want to see the film for a second time, and i would ask my fellow reviewers if the majority of them have formed the same opinion? In my humble opinion the self proving conclusion i draw from this is that this film it is not a masterpiece. This film however, is memorable, and has allowed another two great acting performances to be recorded, and rightfully in the case of Daniel, Rewarded.

< Message edited by Daniel James Taylor -- 16/4/2008 9:28:19 PM >

Post #: 169
RE: Plainfilm - 19/4/2008 6:47:51 PM   
El Becks

I do agree that, although this was a good film with a memorable and excellent performance from DDL, I would not choose to watch it more than once.  Unlike you, I did not think Dano had the gravitas to carry off the role of Daniel - not sure who I would have had play the role though (perhaps others could suggest an alternative actor) but DDL needed a much better sparring partner.  I disliked the final scene where I feel DDL fell back into the ham acting he can, on occasion, be guilty of IMO.  Still deserved the Oscar for the performance up until that point though.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

(in reply to Daniel James Taylor)
Post #: 170
Love It - 6/6/2008 6:21:15 PM   
PaulJohn

I love this film. Daniel Day Lewis IS THE greatest actor of his generation and he proves it yet again. From his voice, to his posture, to his walk he becomes "Daniel Plainview" and it's a truly breathtaking and immense performance.

I can see people may find it dissapointing and I have friends who did'nt much care for it , it's a slow film that takes time to gather  pace and then theres the ending that some may find out of place, but I loved every second of it. And of course Jonny Greenwoods amazing score is the best score i've heard in a long, long time. Just WOW!!!

< Message edited by PaulJohn -- 6/6/2008 6:24:11 PM >

Let's show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown

Post #: 171
Hmm. - 10/6/2008 4:02:15 PM   
directorscut

This is undoubtedly an excellently made film.  However, and I am surprised that I haven't heard or read it somewhere else, there does seem to be a distinct case of "I've seen this before."  There Will Be Blood is pretty much Giant + Citizen Kane + Once Upon a Time in the West with a little sprinkling of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre thrown in.  For a film that "creates a new cinematic language" (para, Kermode) and that is terrific in most other regards I'd expect something a little less derivative and something with a little more of its own ideas.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 10/6/2008 4:04:03 PM >

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to PaulJohn)
Post #: 172
I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! - 13/6/2008 1:39:50 PM   
bethie777

Classic line, classic film.... I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!

Post #: 173
Brilliant Blood but surprisingly little in the end - 3/7/2008 12:25:28 AM   
lynnshep

Brilliant. A new classic. The epic is Anderson has always shown the potential for. Day Lewis is unforgettable--brooding, intense, loving, paranoid-- a man who lets his wealth cut himself off. Dano is okay, a little miscast but makes up for it in the end.

Post #: 174
as good if not better than Magnolia - 14/7/2008 5:41:14 PM   
bobbyperu

was hooked from the first frame - Day Lewis is brilliant

Post #: 175
RE: There Will Be Blood - 10/8/2008 12:40:59 AM   
Tank Boy

Finally got around to seeing this last night. It really does deserve classic status. They almost don't make them like this anymore in Hollywood-a proper piece of art, and PT Anderson is one of the only director's around trusted with the budget to make an epic movie that doesn't rely on flashy editing and a cliched plot. Day Lewis burns up the screen as Plainview-a total bastard, but a human one at that. The direction and cinematography are superb, the drama tense and thrilling (thanks in no small part to Day-Lewis' performance, and the score-particularly Jonny Greewood's contributions), and there was no shortage of sharp wit on display. It will stand up in years to come.

Chuck's Culture Carnival!

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 176
RE: There Will Be Blood - 11/8/2008 6:12:32 PM   
no1psh

The best movie of the 21st century, in my opinion. PTA is a phenomenal director with an eye for great acting talent. We all knew how good Daniel Day Lewis was before this movie and he maintains that excellence here, but the rise of Paul Dano from bit part player to sharing the screen with someoone like Day Lewis was a hell of an acheivment. The fact that PTA worked with so many of the same actors in previous films, may have resulted in him casting someone he knew opposite Day Lewis, but he had the vision to spot the talent of Dano. It's the battle between Daniel Plainview and Eli Sunday, for the affection and support of the town's people which is the centre of the movie, and it shines through from start to finish!

For anybody who hasn't seen this movie yet and loves movies make it you're business to see this true classic!

"I drink you're milkshake!"
"I drink it up"

(in reply to Tank Boy)
Post #: 177
RE: There Will Be Blood - 14/8/2008 11:51:53 PM   
maffew

I tend to rate how good a film is by how distracted i get during it.. its generally making sandwiches or smoking or what have you. i could've made a three course meal during this film. I was shocked by how bored i was. It annoyed me a bit, because I'm generally excellent at sticking with films - the last time I was this bored and distracted was during Broken Flowers. I was looking forward to watching There Will Be Blood, although it wasn't very high on my list. Admittedly, DDL's performance was excellent, but Paul Dano's was a very mixed bag, at times coming off like Gene Wilder as Leo Bloom! I felt totally disconnected from the characters, and although some shots were stunning, generally having just watched Atonement, the sublime No Country for Old Men and The Assassination of Jesse James, a lot of it looked messy. I really liked from 1927 onward, that was really powerful, but overall the subject matter left me a little cold. Maybe it was having watched a film right before it (In Bruges) or maybe i just wasn't in the mood for something this dark...either way i've just finished watching it, maybe if i watch it again i'll have a more balanced opinion, but for now:

****/*****

it only gets 4 stars because i know its better than i'm giving it credit for, i know its an amazing piece of film making. if i was rating my personal enjoyment, which i suppose i should be, it'd be 2 stars

< Message edited by maffew -- 15/8/2008 12:28:31 AM >

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to no1psh)
Post #: 178
RE: There Will Be Blood - 18/8/2008 10:24:15 AM   
mejaars

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

I tend to rate how good a film is by how distracted i get during it.. its generally making sandwiches or smoking or what have you. i could've made a three course meal during this film. I was shocked by how bored i was. It annoyed me a bit, because I'm generally excellent at sticking with films - the last time I was this bored and distracted was during Broken Flowers. I was looking forward to watching There Will Be Blood, although it wasn't very high on my list. Admittedly, DDL's performance was excellent, but Paul Dano's was a very mixed bag, at times coming off like Gene Wilder as Leo Bloom! I felt totally disconnected from the characters, and although some shots were stunning, generally having just watched Atonement, the sublime No Country for Old Men and The Assassination of Jesse James, a lot of it looked messy. I really liked from 1927 onward, that was really powerful, but overall the subject matter left me a little cold. Maybe it was having watched a film right before it (In Bruges) or maybe i just wasn't in the mood for something this dark...either way i've just finished watching it, maybe if i watch it again i'll have a more balanced opinion, but for now:

****/*****

it only gets 4 stars because i know its better than i'm giving it credit for, i know its an amazing piece of film making. if i was rating my personal enjoyment, which i suppose i should be, it'd be 2 stars

Thank you! I was bored beyond tears and I can sit through three Tarkovksy's in a row.

- Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong -

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 179
RE: There Will Be Blood - 20/8/2008 4:54:32 PM   
Achtung Englander

philistines !

I love this film and am waiting till the DVD hits the sales at Play and then its a defo to buy. maffew I cannot understand how you could not sit through this but stomached Assassination of Jesse James. I recall having a good nap during that one.

(in reply to mejaars)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: There Will Be Blood Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI