Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: There will be brilliance

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: There will be brilliance Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: There will be brilliance - 20/2/2008 8:34:09 PM   
lympo

It's not showing in Llandudno Cineworld.

If you read this,you are stupid.

(in reply to Ace Rothstein)
Post #: 31
RE: There Will Be Blood - 20/2/2008 10:33:33 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I'm in definite agreement with Adambatman, it really is something to be able to go to the cinema and see films like these - There Will Be Blood, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford and No Country For Old Men. Between those three, I would say this film comes out on top. Although I found Jesse James to be better paced (though to be honest, that was one of it's strongest qualities), Day-Lewis really put his heart and soul into this. It was the first of his films I've seen on the big screen.

Paul Dano was also surprisingly effective, even though I felt perhaps there was more there that could have been explored  - the root of his religiosity, maybe more detail about what made him such a contradictory and, eventually, cowardly figure. Perhaps this would have taken away from Plainview's story, though, which more than  held my attention for the running time. I don't really know what the big fuss in Empire's review over the ending was, it was written that it would might almost "derail" the film - I thought I would need a couple of painkillers and a long lie in a dark room from how it was described in the review. It seems like a simple downbeat ending to me.

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 20/2/2008 10:46:10 PM >

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to lympo)
Post #: 32
RE: There Will Be Blood - 20/2/2008 10:46:09 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Spoilers:---> I think it's the almost farcicality (it's a word now...) of it all. The chase around the bowling alley is almost spoof-like in its silliness, which is then followed by such title-fulfilling brutality. I found it a perfect demonstration of Plainview's final descent into madness, brought on through the events of his life. <--- I'm going to watch it again - maybe twice more. Depends how much time I have...!

< Message edited by homersimpson_esq -- 20/2/2008 10:47:22 PM >

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 33
- 21/2/2008 8:50:56 PM   
Kat113

I genuinely feel that this is not only one of the best films of the year, but one of the best films I have ever seen. And I've seen a lot of films....

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 34
RE: There Will Be Blood - 22/2/2008 11:26:44 AM   
Newander

quote:

ORIGINAL: lloyddobler

Well I went to the 10.15am showing yesterday and there were 3 people including me in a HUGE screen.

I have to say I am glad I saw it but I wouldnt say it was a five star masterpiece.

Although beautifully shot and scored, for me its a film that is all about Daniel Day-Lewis's performance, which is excellent and deserving of awards.

As a film its good, really good, I just feel it lacks something. Maybe an explanation of why Plainview hated Eli so much and felt such disdain for religion in general.

I enjoyed Juno and No Country for Old Men much more.

Can someone explain to me what I am missing here???

Nope as I'm in agreement with you...we're in the minority though

I went to see this last night and although Daniel Day Lewis fully deserves all the acclaim he is getting for his role, for me the film just lacked something. He was great, but the film itself wasn't that great for me. Yes it has some defining moments of greatness, the ending was a bleak surprise, but not shockingly awfull, as some people have mentioned.
Overall not a 5 star materpiece.
I'm glad i've seen it, but wouldn't want to sit through it all again.

When we were walking out of the cinema, a guy turned to his girlfriend and said, ' well what does that say about a film, when you fall asleep half way through it?'
My husband was in agreement and said he was on the verge of dropping off on a few occasions too.

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to lloyddobler)
Post #: 35
Better than No Country For Old Men.... - 22/2/2008 12:35:46 PM   
Kash

The word masterpiece is used all too often and all too hastily when describing films, especially current ones. However, I believe There Will Be Blood deserves such praise. Daniel Day-Lewis is possibly the greatest actor working today (or ever!), and his performance is utterly captivating. He completely blew my mind. I just could not take my eyes off him. The film itself draws you in and completely enthrals you. Paul Thomas Anderson is indeed worthy of the praise. I thought No Country For Old Men was the most deserving of Best Picture til I saw this. And maybe even Paul Thomas Anderson for Best Director....

Post #: 36
- 22/2/2008 8:01:19 PM   
willchadwick

I LOVE THIS FILM. The greatest film I have seen in a long time it is up their with No Country for Old Men, Pan's Labyrinth and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy as one of the best films of the past decade. SUPERBLY, FANTASTICALLY, SPASMASTICALLY brilliant performance from Daniel Day Lewis. It is beautiful looking, very well directed by Anderson this is arguably his best movie. It is brilliant it really is. But it is 20 minutes too long and it is shame that it is competeting with No Country for Old Men for the Oscars.

Post #: 37
- 22/2/2008 8:01:20 PM   
willchadwick

I LOVE THIS FILM. The greatest film I have seen in a long time it is up their with No Country for Old Men, Pan's Labyrinth and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy as one of the best films of the past decade. SUPERBLY, FANTASTICALLY, SPASMASTICALLY brilliant performance from Daniel Day Lewis. It is beautiful looking, very well directed by Anderson this is arguably his best movie. It is brilliant it really is. But it is 20 minutes too long and it is shame that it is competeting with No Country for Old Men for the Oscars.

Post #: 38
There Will Be Blood - 22/2/2008 10:00:02 PM   
matthewforan

Possible the best film made since the Godfather Part 2, with some outstanding performances for me personally Paul Dano is outstanding even out doing the great performance of Day-Lewis. A great film and along with No Country For Old Men it's looking like a great year for cinema.

5/5

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to willchadwick)
Post #: 39
RE: There Will Be Blood - 22/2/2008 10:33:16 PM   
shawshank prisoner

truly spectacular. a classic. Day-Lewis is outstanding and Dano is just as amazing as his support. This would be the best film of the year but No Country seems to already have taken that crown, however i genuinlly believe that this will win the big prize at the Oscars: surley it's more to teh acdemy's taste than the tension-filled, crude, ultra violent output of the Coens.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 40
There Will Be Blood is Awesome! - 23/2/2008 4:19:24 PM   
nc_jj

There Will Be Blood is the best film of P.T. Anderson since Boogie Nights. A masterpiece. You can't miss this. Great performances from Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano. Excellent. Brilliant. Poetic. Deep

Post #: 41
There Will Be Blood is Awesome! - 23/2/2008 4:19:25 PM   
nc_jj

There Will Be Blood is the best film of P.T. Anderson since Boogie Nights. A masterpiece. You can't miss this. Great performances from Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano. Excellent. Brilliant. Poetic. Deep

Post #: 42
RE: There Will Be Blood! - 23/2/2008 5:26:13 PM   
David Dvd 1988

I much more enjoyed the performance of daniel day lewis then the actual story which like some of the other forumites have commented above was missing something compared to a No Country For Old Men. However it was a good film and is well deserved of all its oscar nominations however i still see the coens taking best director. Worth watching alone just for Daniel Day Lewis's performance alone which i believe to be the best acting i've ever seen on the silver screen!!!

'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!'

http://www.angryalien.com

(in reply to nc_jj)
Post #: 43
RE: There Will Be Blood - 23/2/2008 6:34:57 PM   
jrewing1000

Paul Thomas Anderson delivers another exceptional film, containing his now trademark touches - challenging, absorbing and dramatic. This is his most artistic movie which quite rightly sits alongside The Godfather for tone and pace. To compare this to his earlier movies is a mistake. They are entirely different dishes. Although I state on record here that I still hold Magnolia as my favourite of his films.

It's hard to fault There Will Be Blood. Day Lewis is perfect. His acting is so accomplished and so mesmerising it will go down as one of the true great performances in history. There is so much to chew over, to contemplate that it's hard to write an overview. But the ending seems to be what stands out as an immediate discussion point, so I will comment that it seemed a bit of a show stopper. Almost like an emergency brake. Perhaps that was one of it's intentions - to bring the show to a complete and sudden halt. I wouldn't at all call it wrong, but it is a surprising choice Anderson has made and even as I type I am reviewing it in my mind. At the end of the day - i LOVE when directors/writers take risks and challenge convention. So bravo Mr Anderson for that.

After the indie genius of Boogie Nights, the sprawling over-ambitious milestone of Magnolia and the quietly delightful poetry of Punch Drunk Love comes Paul Thomas Anderson's darkest, most intense, challenging film. He is one of cinemas true artists.

5/5

Post #: 44
RE: There Will Be Blood - 23/2/2008 11:42:35 PM   
Achtung Englander

NO SPOILERS

so finally saw the whole movie and I thought it was masterful in every respect - a true tour de force. The acting is just magnificemt. The cinematography and direction is superb and the story is fantastic. This is the best film I have seen this year just pipping No Country For Old Men for one reason really - the Daniel Day Lewis's character Daniel Plainview is so complex and interesting on many levels. Even my brother who came with me who is not a huge movie fan said it was engrossing and made him think about Planview's character long after the credits ran

I can agree with the comments that the ending was Kubrickian like and I think it boils down to the wide shot angle and sparatan set in which the final scene takes place.
This is from Trivia in IMDB

Paul Thomas Anderson planned to have the restored bowling alley (used at the climax) located next to the Greystone Mansion to be entirely painted in white to give some Kubrick symmetry and menacing quality (also a nod to A Clockwork Orange (1971)). However, he changed it to its original state when it was later decided that the bowling alley was to be given away for ownership after filming.

My God are we living through a mini Hollywood renaissance - No Country For Old Men, Cloverfield, There Will Be Blood - at long bloody last (I bet it won't last !)

< Message edited by Achtung Englander -- 23/2/2008 11:48:55 PM >

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 45
- 24/2/2008 6:55:25 PM   
jacob21

Post #: 46
RE: - 24/2/2008 10:12:08 PM   
skeletonjack

I'm going to go against popular opinion here for whilst I agree that Daniel Day lewis was superb (he reminded me of Sam Elliot), the overall experience left me slightly underwhelmed, and at times even a little bored.
In the debate over which PTA movie is the best I'd say Boogie Nights wins hands down and if the Oscar race is between this and No Country For Old Men then it's the Coens I'd expect to see smiling.
This is not to say that I hated the movie, I didn't, I just don't view it as the masterpiece that many others seem to.
5 stars for Day Lewis, 3 for the movie. 

(in reply to jacob21)
Post #: 47
A great performance.. - 25/2/2008 4:40:34 PM   
Gold Digger

The central performance by DD Lewis is magnificent and the reason to quite happily watch 2 and 1/2 hours of a film that isn't that engrossing to be honest. It's the kind of tale we have seen many times before, especially on the small screen. Special mention to the younger members of the cast who held their own against DDL.

Post #: 48
Sublime - 26/2/2008 3:59:15 PM   
Paxton

It is difficult to know where to start when reviewing a film such as There Will Be Blood, for there are no standout elements, no suitable comparisons, and no single person responsible. Nonetheless, at the risk of sounding trite...

Director Paul Thomas Anderson demonstrates total patience and absolute trust in the story, in every element thereof, from the characters to the setting to the themes. The result is a film which is best appreciated not as a film, but rather as an experience: something to privately carry with you, to ruminate on, to learn from. Accordingly, it is perhaps not the seeming miscarriage of justice that No Country For Old Men won Best Picture over There Will Be Blood, for although the two share many trappings, the structuring, pace, and characterisation of the former are more in line with contemporary cinematic tastes.

There Will Be Blood
represents a standard of storytelling, taste and craft that has not been seen since Kubrick's work of the 60's and 70's. Indeed, in certain aspects, the piece feels like Kubrick's lost Western. The actors and technicians on this film do exemplary work at the peak of their ability, and many of them have been rightly applauded for their contributions. Ultimately, however, the film transcends the medium, and it is Paul Thomas Anderson who steps away from the confines of what one would normally consider a cinematic director's role into something more significant. Beyond the mere process of creative decision-making, through this film PTA has become a modern-day teller of parables. His mission is not merely to make a enthralling film, but to lay down universal truths and human laws, to educate, to elevate.

With this film, PTA has granted Hollywood a grace with which to redeem itself. If the studios can step up to this challenge, he may eventually be proven the saviour of modern American cinema.

< Message edited by Paxton -- 26/2/2008 5:28:31 PM >

(in reply to Gold Digger)
Post #: 49
I loved it - I think - 26/2/2008 9:56:14 PM   
Lee_The_Sarge

I don't know what I thought of this film.  It kept me truly interested the whole time and I would gladly (and want to)see it again which must mean I really liked it, but somehow walking out of the cinema I truly did not know what to think.  The problem may be that I went to see it with a friend who is more interested in the standard Hollywood film than the indie scene and I was constantly aware of him checking his watch.  My recommendation is to go with someone who is not afraid of non-standard cinema.

(in reply to Paxton)
Post #: 50
RE: I loved it - I think - 27/2/2008 4:20:03 PM   
forbidden_planet

Watched this yesterday and didn't want to write my review straight away so instead waited until today. But my excitement and overwhelm from this film hasn't calmed itself down as I expected it would. I still think this film was brilliant in so many ways. Yes the story is a bit 'boring' at times but its not the story that makes this film brilliant, it is of course the performances of Daniel Day Lewis and Paul Dano. Day Lewis is fantastic and completely engrossing every second he is on the screen. But for me it was Dano who gave a performance easily equal to that of Day Lewis. How this young man didn't win or even get nominated for a Best Supporting Actor at the Oscars is a crime!

I can honestly say that I walked out of There Will Be Blood with a big grin on my face. I felt that I had watched something very special and I haven't felt like that for quite a while after seeing a film.

"Robert Ford would only lay on the floor and look at the ceiling, the light going out of his eyes before he could find the right words"

"How many times do I have to tell you John, I always have a plan"

(in reply to Lee_The_Sarge)
Post #: 51
RE: I loved it - I think - 27/2/2008 5:12:20 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

I agree with you on most of your comments. This movie and performances were brilliant.
Perhaps on another year, There will be Blood would have won more at the oscars. For me 'No Country....' was the stronger contender for Best Film and Director. Also Paul Dano was up against some strong contenders. He was great considering he held his own against Daniel Day Lewis.
I also walked out with a grin on my face thinking I had watched a great film. An expression that was matched when I watched 'No Country...' the week before.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to forbidden_planet)
Post #: 52
RE: I loved it - I think - 27/2/2008 5:52:48 PM   
Achtung Englander

at the end it would have been interesting to know what happened to Ciarán Hinds character

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 53
RE: There Will Be Blood - 27/2/2008 6:04:24 PM   
Larry of Arabia

The only drawback was that Kevin J. O'Connor never shouted out "O'Connell!" in a Middle Eastern accent. Not even once...

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Achtung Englander)
Post #: 54
RE: There Will Be Blood - 29/2/2008 10:32:06 PM   
jamdodge1

Did anyone else feel that PTA had almost risen Kubrick from the grave to direct some scenes of this? The opening shot for instance, with that music - feels like an alternative opening for 2001. And the ending is reminiscent of A Clockwork Orange. Nevertheless, this was a brilliant, brilliant film and I can't wait for it to age so I can put it very highly in my top 100 (people are snobbish about new films in lists on these here boards) Of recent films, the movie's biggest initial comparison is No Country for Old Men. Both are modern classics but TWBB just comes above. A complex, rewarding masterpiece that will stick in my head for God knows how long.

Post #: 55
Too Much Hype - 1/3/2008 3:07:16 PM   
davemorris

i have to say i was one of the first in the que when this hit my local silverscreen, but I now know that it was purely down to the hype. I cant remember being more dissappointed with a movie other then the seven times I thought the return of the king was finally over. THis movie goes nowhere and does it really slowly with underdeveloped characters that dont seem to play any real part in what is actually happening. Yes DDL is fantastic and his ratio of one film every nine thousand years obviously keeps him fresh for his art but I fully understood why people got up and left 45 minutes from the end.
What is so special about this movie? I am at a loss but I hope someone might be able to point out what I was missing

Post #: 56
RE: Too Much Hype - 1/3/2008 7:54:56 PM   
Wilbert

This is an amazing film. I've been a PTA fan since Hard 8 (or Sidney, if you're an anal retentive!) and I love all of his films. This was just an incredible leap forward for him.

True, it is a little slow at times but not in a bad way at all. Actually, instead of slow, think of it as 'taking it's time'.

Day Lewis is so good. I can't believe that the voice that comes out of Plainview is from the same man who accepted the Oscar.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to davemorris)
Post #: 57
RE: Too Much Hype - 1/3/2008 7:57:13 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: davemorris
I fully understood why people got up and left 45 minutes from the end.
What is so special about this movie? I am at a loss but I hope someone might be able to point out what I was missing

Anyone who does this is not interested in cinema.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to davemorris)
Post #: 58
RE: Too Much Hype - 1/3/2008 10:25:24 PM   
jamdodge1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: davemorris
I fully understood why people got up and left 45 minutes from the end.

Anyone who does this is not interested in cinema.

Or a little stupid.

Scratch that: Very stupid

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 59
RE: There Will Be Blood - 2/3/2008 12:03:39 AM   
Paxton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

The only drawback was that Kevin J. O'Connor never shouted out "O'Connell!" in a Middle Eastern accent. Not even once...

Hahaha. I was having some difficulty taking Steven Sommers' pet weirdo seriously as well.

I drink your milkshake.

Films I am jazzed for:

Not a whole lot these days...

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: There will be brilliance Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI