Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

There Will Be Blood

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> There Will Be Blood Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
There Will Be Blood - 1/2/2008 6:23:14 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Astonishing - 1/2/2008 6:23:14 PM   
jonnium

I couldn't agree more with Empire's review. While initially leaving the cinema with a horridly bad taste in my mouth (not denying its brilliance in spite of this), I pondered over a few days and decided how genius this film was. Depressing indeed, but a challenging, provocative and quietly disturbing film.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: There Will Be Blood - 2/2/2008 3:16:02 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Thought I was getting to see this next week, but it's only out on the 8th in London, apparently, I'll have to wait until the 15th. I can't wait, just seeing clips of Day-Lewis and hearing that accent has got me excited - "I've abandoned my boy!"

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to jonnium)
Post #: 3
RE: There Will Be Blood - 2/2/2008 4:51:20 PM   
Driver 8

You may well hate this movie. Just a warning. Even if you adore the two and a half hours of deliberate dread and quiet evil, the ending may throw you completely. More on that later, but be forewarned, this is a film to provoke argument and reaction, maybe even more than the last third of No Country for Old Men

The plot, such as it is, is relatively simple. We see the progress, and moral decay (though what was there to begin with, we do not know) of Daniel Plainview, across the beginnings of the twentieth century, through the prism of the oil industry in California. Plainview is a man willing to sink to any depths (pardon the pun) to achieve his ends, enlisiting his adopted son to give himself a family man image, and appearing at all times to be well spoken while his hatred and bile bubbles just beneath the surface. His conflict with local preacher Eli Sunday (Paul Dano) forms the backbone of the film, with both men loathing one another, and attempting to gain the upper hand.

There Will Be Blood is a monster of a movie. Go into it willing to let it wash over you, as much as Jonny Greenwood's terrifying score does, and you will be rewarded. The pacing for much of the film is consciously slow and menacing, drawing us deeper and deeper into Plainview's world and mind, allowing his conflict with Eli to develop, with both men scoring victories of humiliation over one another as the film goes on. This will come as little surprise to most, but Daniel Day Lewis is astonishingly good here. Soon into the film, we're longer watching a performance, we are simply watching Plainview, his rage-filled eyes, his words carefully chosen, his menace constant. It is easily the performance of 2007/8, a masterclass in evil, but grounded in humanity. Paul Dano, who most will know from Little Miss Sunshine, is also very, very good. Dano's preacher is in ways just as bad as Plainview, and his varying moods, depending on who has the upper hand, are perfectly played.

*Minor Spoilers*

So to the end. I won't spill the details, but this may well prove the most divisive ending of any film this year. For me, the ending hit with such shock and awe that I didn't form an opinion until long after I'd finished watching the film. It does appear at odds entirely with the tone of the rest of the film, but this is doubtless deliberate. The reactions its various elements generates will be interesting to see, it seems to veer from black comedy to shock and horror in the space of its seven or eight minutes. I'm fully willing to see why people hate it, but for me, on reflection, I wouldn't change it for the world. Day Lewis is amazing in the scene, and Dano matches him all the way. It's a conclusion that will be parodied (with at least two lines that will be quoted for years) but at the end of it all, blood it promises, blood it delivers. At the risk of tainting a wonderful dark film with a horrible pun, the film, monster that it is, is bloody brillant.

9/10

Not up O'Hara's standard, but what is

< Message edited by Driver 8 -- 2/2/2008 4:52:17 PM >

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 4
- 4/2/2008 9:27:23 AM   
umer_ejaz

The certificate is a 15 not a 12A, just to tell you Empire, it says on the BBFC website

Post #: 5
"Film of the Week"?... - 4/2/2008 4:06:55 PM   
Cameron1975Williams

Film of the Century more like!

Post #: 6
RE: "Film of the Week"?... - 4/2/2008 6:23:02 PM   
DaveNewman18

I am looking forward to this, oh so much!

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 7
RE: - 4/2/2008 6:30:38 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: umer_ejaz

The certificate is a 15 not a 12A, just to tell you Empire, it says on the BBFC website

According to the BBFC-

This work was originally classified 12A without cuts on 12 November 2007. This determination was formally reconsidered by the BBFC at the request of the submitting company. The BBFC carefully considered the arguments put forward by the submitting company, looked again at the relevant submitted material, and concluded that a revision to the original determination was appropriate.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 4/2/2008 6:31:12 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to umer_ejaz)
Post #: 8
This months only 5 Star film - 5/2/2008 3:10:11 PM   
iamthesundancekid

Intelligent powerful cinema like this comes around so rarely these days. Dano does amazing work just to keep up with Day-Lewis, who towers over this film like nothing I have ever seen. My, previously laminated (geek!!) , top 20 films of all time is going to have to come down for a bit of revising...P.S You're still wrong about Cloverfield - and, yes, it's all down to personal taste, but you are still wrong..

Post #: 9
- 6/2/2008 12:11:31 AM   
Leomuse

A triumphant film. Anderson looks set to be afondly remembered filmmaker.

Post #: 10
- 6/2/2008 12:11:32 AM   
Leomuse

A triumphant film. Anderson looks set to be afondly remembered filmmaker.

Post #: 11
RE: - 8/2/2008 9:52:52 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Haven't seen this one yet, though I sure will. How do you guys think it places alongside the rest of the PTA catalogue? I hear some saying it's his best.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 12
RE: There Will Be Blood - 8/2/2008 9:59:19 PM   
Manchurian candidate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

it's only out on the 8th in London, apparently, I'll have to wait until the 15th.

I was so pissed when I noticed.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 13
RE: RE: - 8/2/2008 11:48:40 PM   
Leomuse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

Haven't seen this one yet, though I sure will. How do you guys think it places alongside the rest of the PTA catalogue? I hear some saying it's his best.

It's very close between it and Boogie Nights, though they're very, very different.

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 14
There Will Be Blood - 9/2/2008 1:08:05 AM   
Indio

I thought this was superb, I would say I prefer Boogie Nights but like Leomuse says above, they're two totally different styles film wise. It is a long film but I never thought it dragged, I thought the two and a half hours flew by. I can't see why people are disappointed with the ending, maybe the 'what the butler saw' shot and the final almost throwaway line are a bit abrupt but I thought it was in tone with what had gone before and Plainviews actions earlier on.

I thought the cast were uniformly excellent, Day Lewis just owns the screen every second he is on it, surely he must win the Best Actor Oscar for this (and I've give this the Best Film one too while I was at it, I found this a much better film than No Country For Old Men).

PS, I saw this at the Cineworld at Shaftesbury Avenue and the end credits ended after about 20 seconds, is this intentional or was it just the cinema trying to get us all out as quickly as possible so they could all bugger off home?

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 15
RE: There Will Be Blood - 9/2/2008 6:03:38 PM   
Leomuse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Indio

I thought this was superb, I would say I prefer Boogie Nights but like Leomuse says above, they're two totally different styles film wise.

Yeah, I'd say that if the style and feel of Boogie Nights is akin to Scorsese and Magnolia to Altman, then the style and feel of There Will Be Blood is mostly reminiscent of Kubrick.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 16
- 12/2/2008 12:49:05 AM   
twombley

without doubt the most consuming and visceral film I have seen in a long long time- the atmosphere is powefully realised, as are the two leads performances. Not only is Day-Lewis utterly compelling, but Paul Dano manages to hold his own in some really exciting scenes. everyone is taking about the ending, but it works as a clever and pretty depressing way of wrapping up some pretty majo themes. awesome. I'd give it 6 stars if i could!

Post #: 17
RE: - 12/2/2008 11:56:03 AM   
Lightfoot

The big Kahuna. I've read Day-Lewis being called the foremost and most accomplished actor of his generation, and an unberable arch-ham. Sometimes by the same reviewer. In the same review. And while I thought his Bill the Butcher was pretty much one of the best performances you'll ever see, anywhere, ever, There Will be Blood does, in a few key scenes, give people inclined toward the latter view a bit of ammunition.

Day-Lewis plays Daniel Plainview, a one-time silver miner who shifts his fortunes to oil, becoming a successful but fortune-hungry oil baron. A random prospect from a drifter turns out to be a massive sea of oil, and Plainview seeks to obtain it cheaply, deceiving the townsfolk whose land the oil lies under, occupying their land, and raising the quiet ire of the young but canny local preacher (Paul Dano).
The first fifteen minutes of the film are wordless, broken only by grunts as Plainview drags his body, broken by a premature dynamite explosion, out of a mining shift and across an unforgiving desert. The sequence ends with Plainview adopting the infant son of a miner killed in one of his early oil explorations, and segues some years later to a superb salesman's monologue where he is convincing a town to lease their land to him to drill for oil, his "son and business partner" at his side.

Deserved comparisons have been made with the best of Kubrick, Malick, and Welles, and it is indeed a staggeringly watchable piece of cinema that you need to go and see right now. I did come out with a couple of issues however. In my humble opinion, one of the biggest reasons why the films of said directors were so good is a sense of tonal consistency, and of inevitable culmination. Their films build and build, and when they climax one feels that they could not have ended any other way. There Will be Blood ends in a violently atonal manner, and one which will either work for you or leave you somewhat puzzled.

The other issue is similar to the problem many critics had with Gangs of New York. Day-Lewis was simply so good that he blew poor Leonardo diCaprio, who hadn't yet developed the venom he showed in The Departed, completely off the screen. Paul Dano gives a fine performance as Plainview's adversary, Eli Sunday, but it's simply not in the same league, and you come away thinking that Plainview was never challenged at all in the pursuit of dominion. Imagine if Martin Sheen had travelled all that way upriver to come face to face with anybody other than Brando (and who is this generation's Brando, if not Day-Lewis?) Even as a semi-coherent gastropod, he still owned.

Perhaps this is the point, that great man need great obstacles and adversaries to temper their vanity, to remind them that they are men too. In one passage Plainview says he sees nothing to admire in men, in "these ... people", as he calls them, meaning less than people, and it is natural to him to assume that all men must hate him in return.

There is only one scene in the film where blood is actually seen spilled; all other times it is hidden under a slick coat of black oil. It is one of the film's many marvellous light touches.

5/5

(in reply to twombley)
Post #: 18
RE: There Will Be Blood - 13/2/2008 12:35:55 AM   
Mighty_Booshy

Oh dear god! This film is fantastic, utter cinematic genius. Thought I would have to wait until 15th to see it, but got sent on a course in London and so took full advantage of it. Daniel Day Lewis deserves his BAFTA and hopefully Oscar too. I really can't describe to you how highly I rate this film, but here goes.
The film itself is an odd mix, a fair bit of heavy acting mixed with subtle styling. Equally the film can be loud and (as empire perfectly described) can leave you feeling almost physically sick (opening chord). While other vast expanses of time will be quiet and with very little action.
The time shot by (not one of those three hour films that should be two) and I could have sat there longer, I wish I could have. The closing scenes reminded me in a way of Kubricks work, in the most complimentative and fitting sense. It does jerk away from the rest of the film, but strangely works. True, this film is really quite heavy going, and it does get intense at times. However there are some humerous moments. Even a couple of emotional ones.
Am even listening to Brahms Violin Concerto in D major (allegro giacoso) from the credits as I type this, a fantastic and fitting musical finale to this stunning film.

"I tried singing once and they threw tomatoes. So after the show, I had a nice salad"

Post #: 19
RE: There Will Be Blood - 16/2/2008 9:30:59 AM   
lloyddobler

Honestly

Is this film worth me getting up early on a Sunday for to go see at local Vue at 10.15am showing??

I would like to avoid any teenagers who think they have wandered into a horror film if possible.

" A plan is just a list of things that dont happen "

www.thelostmovies.com
www.myspace.com/holtmeister28

(in reply to Mighty_Booshy)
Post #: 20
RE: There Will Be Blood - 16/2/2008 9:59:10 AM   
Indio

quote:

ORIGINAL: lloyddobler

Honestly

Is this film worth me getting up early on a Sunday for to go see at local Vue at 10.15am showing??

I would like to avoid any teenagers who think they have wandered into a horror film if possible.

Yes, its certainly worth watching. I wouldn't have thought theres too many teenagers that would get up at 10.15 to go and see a horror film anyway.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to lloyddobler)
Post #: 21
RE: There Will Be Blood - 18/2/2008 8:21:45 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Indio

PS, I saw this at the Cineworld at Shaftesbury Avenue and the end credits ended after about 20 seconds, is this intentional or was it just the cinema trying to get us all out as quickly as possible so they could all bugger off home?

In a word - yes. To the latter. The end credits plays pretty much the rest of the Brahms. I would have been well pissed off because I watch all the credits - or rather, listen to all the music.
I'll be putting a review in mini-reviews, but since this thread is so light on reviews, I'll put it here as well I think. In short, despite some stonkingly good films this year in the likes of No Country For Old Men and 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, There Will Be Blood is most definitely the film of the year so far, and is going to take a lot of beating, even by the summer blockbusting likes of Indy 4 or The Dark Knight.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 22
RE: There Will Be Blood - 18/2/2008 9:07:18 AM   
nicholsonsmhead

It's so rare for a film to better than the hype, but this time it really is.

This film is a masterpiece.  Why Empire said it 'may well be a masterpiece' (or words to that effect) I don't know.  It either is or it isn't, so have some courage in your convictions. 

Not that I feel the Oscars have any relevance, but as much as I loved No Country For Old Men, it doesn't reach the heights of There Will Be Blood.

If the film industry collapsed and could only afford to release one film a year, I would be happy as long as they could all be as good as this. 

'Does the codename 'Sapphire' mean anything to you?'

'Hey, what if we cross-circuit the accelerator? Might give us more er...er, ohms or something.'

'Hi, I'm Max Keller. I'm a seagull.'

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 23
RE: There Will Be Blood - 18/2/2008 9:26:15 AM   
lloyddobler

Well I went to the 10.15am showing yesterday and there were 3 people including me in a HUGE screen.

I have to say I am glad I saw it but I wouldnt say it was a five star masterpiece.

Although beautifully shot and scored, for me its a film that is all about Daniel Day-Lewis's performance, which is excellent and deserving of awards.

As a film its good, really good, I just feel it lacks something. Maybe an explanation of why Plainview hated Eli so much and felt such disdain for religion in general.

I enjoyed Juno and No Country for Old Men much more.

Can someone explain to me what I am missing here???

" A plan is just a list of things that dont happen "

www.thelostmovies.com
www.myspace.com/holtmeister28

(in reply to nicholsonsmhead)
Post #: 24
RE: There Will Be Blood - 18/2/2008 2:22:33 PM   
mackey

An incredible film from Paul Thomas Anderson which proves that he is, without doubt, the most gifted director working today.  That is not a statement I make lightly.  His writing is so rich and his choices so natural that other directors seem mired in simplicity.  Even the Coen brothers (whom I love) seem conventional by comparison.  Whilst I was engrossed in No Country For Old Men I was entranced by There Will Be Blood. 
This film is something to experience not just something to watch.  From the immediately discomforting opening sequence to the audacious denouement There Will Be Blood is a relentless journey into the darkness of the human soul.  Daniel Day-Lewis is mesmerising, ferocious and terrifying throughout and his level of performance here cannot be matched by anyone so far this decade.
I realise I have made a few bold statements above but I stand by them all.  It is rare in cinema these days for me to come out of something so dazed and astounded and to have it play on my mind in the following days.  I cannot wait to experience it again and feel that I will go to see this a number of times on the big screen. Unmissable.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to lloyddobler)
Post #: 25
There Will Be Blood - 18/2/2008 9:01:39 PM   
solid snake

There is no way Atonement should have one best film at the BAFTAS. There Will Be Blood is a far better film. Its dark, unsettling, disturbing and its a masterpiece. At least there was some juctice at the BAFTAS when Daniel Day Lewis won best actor. He deserved it cause he was just so amazing in this film.

Post #: 26
RE: There Will Be Blood - 19/2/2008 9:11:13 PM   
Achtung Englander

well I just seen the first hour at my local Odeon until the projector decided it had enough and subsequently blew up - no kidding ! (got a refund)

so based on the first hour it was superb. The use of powerful music that sounded like Ligeti in the first 15 minutes did remind me of Kubrick's because Kubrick used his music with great effect.
I would say that There Will Be Blood should be watched on teh big screen to get the full effect of the magnitude of the acting and the cinematography (like No Counrry For Old Men) and I would recommend to go see it but just don't ask how it end

(in reply to solid snake)
Post #: 27
RE: There Will Be Blood - 19/2/2008 9:25:16 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Ah what a pisser Achtung - go see it again, for sure! (As if I have to tell you!)

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Achtung Englander)
Post #: 28
RE: There Will Be Blood - 20/2/2008 11:46:46 AM   
adambatman82

i honestly think that the triple bill of there will be blood, no country for old men and the assassination of jesse james by the coward ford represents possilbly the strongest run of incredible films in my lifetime. i would genuinely consider the three of them a place in my top twenty films of all time, if not my top ten. it really is a golden age.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 29
There will be brilliance - 20/2/2008 7:28:46 PM   
Ace Rothstein

A rare film that I would see again at the cinema. My advice is to see it on a Wednesday afternoon like I did...... did not quite avoid a couple of annoying youths who must have thought they were in Jumper but the experience of the film was superb- the soundtrack was incredible as was Day Lewis performance. If he does not win an oscar, I will be extremely surprised. The film was truly mesmerizing and although the ending was puzzling and recalled something like A clockwork orange, it did not matter. Realy, for best director, its either Paul Thomas Anderson or the Coen brothers- both for being genuine auteurs.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> There Will Be Blood Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI