Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time Page: <<   < prev  15 16 17 18 [19]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 4:26:47 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Absolutely awesome thread there, Piles. Not just the quality of the films chosen, but of the reviews of said films. And it's the first top 100 list on here, with proper reviews, that I've seen finished. *Looks accusingly at numerous other posters*

Re the Kubrick list, I'm still game for that. I'll warn you that my viewing might be a little, well, scattered for the next three weeks since I have exams at the end of the month. After that, tho, I'll be steaming through them. Piles mate, feel free to start watching and 'banking' reviews if you want! You can post them once I've done mine then.

I have a good idea whose reviews will be longer... I always thought my reviews were long until I read this thread!

Again, an awesome list, well presented, well paced, and well written. Um, well done!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 541
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 4:40:45 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

And it's the first top 100 list on here, with proper reviews, that I've seen finished. *Looks accusingly at numerous other posters*

I know, doncopey and jamesbondguy are both disgraces.

Very nice work Piles, the amount of work you've put into this is really quite staggering, and your film-taste is excellent for a 17(?) year old. If you keep up with it, then I'm sure you'll find that in a years time you'll look back on this list and find that you'd change a lot of things, but there's nothing wrong with that.

If you want some constructive criticism, then I'd say shorten your reviews by describing the plot less. If there's anything I've learnt from doing a list (and there is lots) its that long reviews are frequently unwieldy and indulgent. Well, at least you haven't slipped into pretentiousness, as I did for some time

Again, well done for a great read and for delivering your promise that you'd complete it!

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 542
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 5:02:21 PM   
Chris66

I tried to watch Once Upon A Time In America recently but I did not have any idea of what was going on so I stopped watching it.

"We just wanted to say we're a big fan of your work. When it comes to killing Nazis... I think you show great talent. And I pride myself on having an eye for that kind of talent. Your status as a Nazi killer is... still amateur. We all come here to see if you wanna go pro... '"

(in reply to TheManWithNoShame)
Post #: 543
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 5:14:53 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame
at least you haven't slipped into pretentiousness, as I did for some time

You never did! When did that happen?!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 544
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 5:20:05 PM   
dedalus1988

What a truly wonderful list. It is nice to see someone take (what I assume to be) a large chunk of time to show how and why he loves these films   There can be no qualms with the quality of the films (though I must say I prefer once upon a time in the west over America-but that’s splitting hairs)   Though as I was reading through the reviews I got to wondering—looking back at it—ar you happy with all the films in the list (as I am in the process of finishing my top 10 list—and I often wonder why the hell I left out the 400 blows and Ikiru)   Also— another question for a certain Mr. manwithnoshame—is your incredibly different but equally inspirational list ever going to get finished (I want to know what beats au hazard bathasar (sp))     And to end in a rather bathetic fashion—moonpig???!!

The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work.

Cinema is the most beautiful fraud in the world

http://www.filmunit.org.uk/index.php -click on the podcast link at the bottom to hear me speak. It really is that easy.

(in reply to Chris66)
Post #: 545
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 5:36:59 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

at least you haven't slipped into pretentiousness, as I did for some time

You never did! When did that happen?!

Probably the last few reviews, if you define pretentiousness as attempting to surpass your intellectual limits. Anyway, thats enough confession for now

quote:

is your incredibly different but equally inspirational list ever going to get finished

Quite frankly, no - but that doesn't mean it wont be resurrected one last time to kill it off. Its been such a long time and so ill thought out that the list is practically meaningless to me now. Plus I thought everyone knows what my favourite films are now (and if you don't, I'll just say my favourite film is in your top 10). Thanks for your nice words anyway!

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 546
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 5:52:37 PM   
Piles

Thanks for the comments ladies and gents, has been a good experience, a good learning curb and an enjoyable one at that.

I definitely agree with you TMWNS, my reviews do over-run sometimes and I am over-indulgent. I'll have to work on that!

And dedalus, here's what I would change had I started it now...
Films that'd be higher: The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive and Three Colours: Blue
Films that's be lower: Raiders of the Lost Ark, the Deer Hunter and maybe Heat
Films that's slip off the list: The Prestige and I Heart Huckabees
Films that'd enter the list: The Bicycle Thieves, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bande A Part, Brazil, A Bout de Souffle, Chloe in the Afternoon, Fitzcarraldo and Le Double Vie de Veronique...

That said, I still stand by my choices ...

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 547
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 5:58:27 PM   
Your

holy shit

u r only 17.

are u like a movie freak, or sometin?

can u do like a top fifty greatest movie characters of all time?

or a top fifty greatest movie moments of all time

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 548
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 6:03:00 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your

holy shit

u r only 17.

are u like a movie freak, or sometin?

can u do like a top fifty greatest movie characters of all time?

or a top fifty greatest movie moments of all time

I actually did consider doing both of those, before finally deciding on the crime film list. No doubt I'll do them in the foreseeable future, especially the characters one...

And Dante, PTA has the potential to really be great. Magnolia is a classic, as is There Will Be Blood which I saw too late to make the list, but it'd probably just miss out... Boogie Nights, too, is very very good. He seems to be running through homages to the great directors whilst still marking out his own distinct style.

(in reply to Your)
Post #: 549
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 6:10:15 PM   
Your

What do you think of the state of modern cinema today?

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 550
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 6:43:27 PM   
Piles

Ummm... I don't quite know how to answer that! I think there are a lot of talented directors working right now (PTA, the Coens, Fincher), but a lot of crap coming out of blockbuster/romcom Hollywood. But I guess that's just the general consensus rather than my personal opinion!

(in reply to Your)
Post #: 551
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 8:42:44 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

And it's over!

Fantastic stuff, Piles, a very good list with excellent reviews.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 552
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 9:12:41 PM   
Rhubarb

Great to see it finished Piles, magnificent stuff.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 553
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 9:39:45 PM   
TRM

A good end to the list Piles. Just 1 question, in your 'The third man' review at the bottom you put:
quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

Verdict
A light touch masks a dark, haunting storyline, but on re-viewings it becomes perfectly clear how powerful this actually is. That theme, that character, and all of those shots secure that the Third Man is the greatest film of all time. 10/10.

Was this a mistake or do you feel the Once upon a time in America is actually not as good a film, just that you prefer it? I actually think both are excellent and would both feature in my top 100, but i was just curious.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 554
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 10:15:27 PM   
PB~!

Wow, it's been a great ride.  A fantastic list, I really don't have much to say that hasn't already been said, but well done.  THIS is the reference point for ALL top 100 lists.  Not necessarily because of the chosen films, althought they are great, but because of the effort and style.  Well done. Top Marks.

no guilt in life, no fear in death

Check out my Hitchcockian Adventure in Lists and Top 10's
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2209701

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 555
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 10:25:43 PM   
Piles

Aw shucks PB~!

And thanks for the heads up, TRM, that was supposed to say the greatest Brittish film of all time. 

(in reply to PB~!)
Post #: 556
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 10:46:06 PM   
richCie

thats it, its over, its finished. and thank god for your crime list, I need some lists to keep reading.
I will say though, I felt you let us down at the end, with your choice of OUATIA...I really didnt like it, and its sad to see it so high....
Just kidding marvellous work there mate, course we all have our differences, but so what? Looking forward to your next lists, and I warn you I might attempt to hijack that Kubrick thread, what with me just buying the his box set... might aswell describe my thoughts and comments on my introductions to the work of one of cinemas (surely) greatest directors

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 557
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 5/5/2008 10:51:59 PM   
Piles

Joining in isn't a bad thing, dude... the more the merrier.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 558
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 8/5/2008 4:29:54 PM   
the sangypange

well done on a great list and the amount of care and effort has put other lists to shame (mine included)

What are you doing in my tent?
Im Listening to records

check out the Pange's 10 album covers
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2212151

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 559
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 7/7/2008 4:54:35 PM   
Piles

quote:

I'm sure you'll find that in a years time you'll look back on this list and find that you'd change a lot of things, but there's nothing wrong with that.

In a few months time would be more appropriate . I'm thinking of doing another top 100 in January of next year, seen as half the films in this list have probably dropped out. That is, of course, if there's any interest in that.

Post #: 560
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 7/7/2008 6:32:28 PM   
shawshank prisoner

Few of your films in this list are from this decade. Would you consider doing a favourite films of the noughties list as DonCopey et al did, Piles? Or would you wait until we actually reach the end of the decade?

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 561
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 7/7/2008 6:33:47 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: shawshank prisoner

Few of your films in this list are from this decade. Would you consider doing a favourite films of the noughties list as DonCopey et al did, Piles? Or would you wait until we actually reach the end of the decade?

I may just do that, Shawshank, pretty soon actually. Look for it at some point this week! (or, um, tonight...)

< Message edited by Piles -- 7/7/2008 7:22:51 PM >

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 562
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 8/7/2008 12:59:39 AM   
Venkman

I've just found this thread and have spent the last hour or so skimming through to see what the top 100 films are. It really is great work and I look forward to reading the full reviews when I've got more time. Once Upon A Time In America is a great choice as well, it's definitely in my top 20 and could even sneak into my top 10

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 563
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 8/7/2008 10:54:24 AM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: Venkman

I've just found this thread and have spent the last hour or so skimming through to see what the top 100 films are. It really is great work and I look forward to reading the full reviews when I've got more time. Once Upon A Time In America is a great choice as well, it's definitely in my top 20 and could even sneak into my top 10

Good to see the thread is still getting a couple of readers. Glad to see you enjoyed it!

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 564
RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time - 10/7/2008 1:18:54 AM   
rawlinson

Great list, Piles. I don't agree with all of your selections, but I really admire the effort you put into the list and the reviews. Really impressive.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 565
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 17 18 [19]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Piles' top 100 films of all-time Page: <<   < prev  15 16 17 18 [19]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI