Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Pushing Daisies - UK Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Pushing Daisies - UK Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 30/1/2008 12:01:57 PM   
Blunderbuss

With ITV announcing that Pushing Daisies will be getting a primetime slot on ITV1 around the end of March (click here for more) I thought I'd start a new UK thread.

I caught the Pilot of the show on a Virgin Atlantic flight at the weekend and despite the small and not brilliant quality screen I was watching it on I liked it a great deal.  Its just the right mix of whimsy, black comedy, broad laughs and romance.  According to all reports it also manages to maintain the quality levels past Ep 1.  I doubt it will appeal to everyone; its too off-kilter for that, but it shows definite promise.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it does in a 9 or 10 pm slot on ITV1, which isn't a channel known for 'edgy' programming.  Recent homegrown product in similar slots like Moving Wallpaper & The Palace haven't been runaway successes.  As the article from the Guardian says its also the first time in years that a US show has been given such a prominent position in the schedule...

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"
Post #: 1
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 30/1/2008 12:05:20 PM   
Zaphod121

Don't know much about this, but it's supposed to be good so i might check it out.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 2
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 30/1/2008 1:03:15 PM   
discodave101

Shows how desperate ITV are getting, if they're now using US shows in their prime-time. Have heard good things about this show though, so I'll be tuning in.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 3
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 1/2/2008 1:56:20 AM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Don't know much about this, but it's supposed to be good so i might check it out.

Really surprised you haven't seen it already Zaph, we have similar tastes so i'm fairly sure you'll love it

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 4
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 1/2/2008 12:53:28 PM   
The Mighty

I think it's the best new show of the season, followed closely by Chuck. The writing, acting, directing are all fantastic, and I can't help but have a huge smile on my face every time I watch it. The stuff they come up with is great, and each week I'm stunned by wild imagination in each episode. Make sure you watch it.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 5
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 4/2/2008 10:42:18 PM   
emily1212

Having seen the series already, I have to say that it's excellent.  A great mix of fantasy, romance and drama.  It's a joy to watch, away from the depressing, angsty programmes of today.  Lee Pace as Ned is fantastic and I have a new found appreciation for Anna Friel as Chuck.  I would recommend this to anyone in any age group.

I was a bit disappointed that it's going to be shown on ITV.  They don't have a great deal of respect for these American imports often e.g. The American Office so fingers crossed that Pushing Daisies gets a fair chance.

Just the eight pints for me last night, then. Oh, no! "Team leader and boss in drunken night out." Shock! horror! Going out with Oggy tomorrow night, then. That'll be be a quiet night in at the library... not!

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 6
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 6/3/2008 8:59:25 PM   
xmagic_dustx

I'm going to watch it, it looks pretty good! :]

"I've killed a Hell of a lot of people to get to this point."

(in reply to emily1212)
Post #: 7
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 11/4/2008 3:28:54 PM   
Mason Verger

Pushing Daisies
Saturday 12 April
9:00pm - 10:00pm
ITV1 London
1/8 - Pie-lette

Get a round of drinks in for ITV1, who are taking a big gamble in placing something as quirky, charming and downright oddball as Pushing Daisies in a primetime, Saturday-night slot. It's a garish curiosity, which will either enchant you with its funny, literate script, playroom-bright colours, otherworldly characters and the sheer goodness of its heart, or send you running headfirst in the opposite direction, screaming at its revolting tweeness. But if you buy into Pushing Daisies' premise (a man who can bring dead people back to life just by touching them), the chances are that you will stick around. Lee Pace and our own Anna Friel, with a Hugh Lauriestandard American accent, are winning as pie-maker Ned (he of the special powers) and his childhood sweetheart, Chuck. He brings her back to life after she's murdered on a cruise, but the catch is, if he touches her again, she dies.

RT reviewer - Alison GrahamVIDEO Plus+: 2299
Subtitled, Widescreen, Audio-described

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to xmagic_dustx)
Post #: 8
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 12/4/2008 1:56:22 AM   
xmagic_dustx

I really am looking forward to this, despite Anna Friel's presence.

"I've killed a Hell of a lot of people to get to this point."

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 9
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 12/4/2008 11:40:28 AM   
spark1

hope this works or itv1 won't show any more US shows at a decent time away from freeview.

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 10
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 12/4/2008 11:55:14 AM   
HIroProtagonist

I'll most certainly be watching this tonight - I'm trying not to get to hyped about it (as was the case with the Sarah Connor Chronicles and Chuck), but I'm quietly hoping that this'll end up good.

Last Five Films at the Cinema:
True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 11
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 12/4/2008 6:59:33 PM   
fuzzy

Haven't seen the show yet, but I applaud ITV1 for putting an American show on primetime Saturday night. Name your top tv shows of the last 10 years, whether they be comedy or drama, and i bet most are from the US. Why relegate these shows to the lesser watched sister channels like ITV2 or BBC3? With a few exceptions, British comedy shows have been lacking recently (as discussed on other threads) and British dramas, give me a break. Who actually watches, or remembers, the ITV 'drama premieres', and all BBC tend to waste our licence fee on is period dramas, 'gritty' cop shows and endless spin-offs of bloody Casulalty and Holby. All the original stuff is coming from the States.

(in reply to HIroProtagonist)
Post #: 12
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 12/4/2008 9:41:10 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Wtf is this true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pushing_Daisies

See International ITV will skip episode 2 and show episode 3 next... isn;t it an on-going season arc? Why?

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 13
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 12/4/2008 9:59:40 PM   
Zaphod121

Oh man, this means I'll have to download episode 2, oh well. Anyways thought it was excellent, it had this kind of Cat in the Hat/Series of Unfortunate Events feel to it, I liked the way everything was just so completely bizzare.

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 12/4/2008 10:00:27 PM >

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 14
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 12/4/2008 10:02:20 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Totally Tim Burton in style - I liked it but I can understand if other people don't.  What's the point in ITV buying it - advertising it on the pictures and then skipping episode two? At the end of one they show clips of next week too... I hope that wiki is bs

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 15
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 12/4/2008 10:07:59 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

Totally Tim Burton in style - I liked it but I can understand if other people don't. What's the point in ITV buying it - advertising it on the pictures and then skipping episode two? At the end of one they show clips of next week too... I hope that wiki is bs

I read the description of ep 3 and it seems like the clips they showed at the end of ep 1 were from that.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 16
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 12/4/2008 10:09:55 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Maybe they think episode 2 is crap and will lose them the audience?

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 17
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 12/4/2008 10:16:33 PM   
Leomuse

Ah bollocks. I forgot this was on.

Post #: 18
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 12/4/2008 10:19:02 PM   
clare_star_

Well I came online to say how much I loved the first episode and then got caught up in this 'are they going to show the second episode thing' I don't want to read up in case I stumble on a spoiler but if anyone can clarify then that would be brilliant!

Back to the actual show... I really did love it, the narration, the dialogue, the total blackcherriness to it. Can't wait for next weeks.

''Twitter''

Post #: 19
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 12/4/2008 11:41:02 PM   
*emz6*

thought it was ok, potentially to be great once it hits it's stride and i get into it a bit more. As others have said very Burton-esque. Have to say i assumed the bag-strangler-man was going to be an ongoing thing i was pretty shocked when he got shotgunned (brilliantly i might add), i figured his identity was a big deal. I guess not but im assuming that the reason for the killings will be the ongoing season arch.

(in reply to clare_star_)
Post #: 20
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 13/4/2008 12:32:09 AM   
Fletcher

quote:

Totally Tim Burton in style - I liked it but I can understand if other people don't.  What's the point in ITV buying it - advertising it on the pictures and then skipping episode two? At the end of one they show clips of next week too... I hope that wiki is bs

Thats exactly what i thought when i saw it Cynic. Tim Burton on happy pills.

'Oh come on! Everybody knows this man tried to stab me through the neck, and you MISSED!....... butter fingers!'

The Bunk is strictly a suit and tie motherfucker

Post #: 21
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 13/4/2008 1:08:16 PM   
Zaphod121

For those interested I just watched episode 2 and all the next week clips they showed at the end of the pilot last night did not feature in ep 2, so it looks like they are just going straight on ep 3, which is a shame seeing as there are only 9 episodes in total.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 22
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 13/4/2008 1:19:02 PM   
HIroProtagonist

quote:

Wtf is this true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pushing_Daisies

See International ITV will skip episode 2 and show episode 3 next... isn;t it an on-going season arc? Why?

Typical F'ing ITV - I watched this last night, and totally, totall fell in love with the show - I thought it had the balance of humor, romance, mystery exactly on, and was totally looking forward to watching this every Saturday night - and now they're gonna skip an episode? Bloody useless - those are the words for ITV. I'm honestly not sure what to do now - do I watch the episodes on ITV, or buy the DVD release?

Last Five Films at the Cinema:
True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

Post #: 23
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 13/4/2008 1:55:02 PM   
Zaphod121

DVD is out in June CLICK

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to HIroProtagonist)
Post #: 24
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 13/4/2008 4:02:09 PM   
duncan2112

Think I'll wait for the DVD set - I seriously dislike ITV.

Where are you taking this....thing?

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 25
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 13/4/2008 7:30:21 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I really enjoyed it too. It's very whimsical and the sort of thing that makes me smile like mad. It's good to see Christen Chenoweth on TV too, she's a lovely actress. I'll definately be watching again.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to duncan2112)
Post #: 26
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 13/4/2008 7:45:09 PM   
Fletcher

Is Christen Chenoworth the original Glinda from Wicked?

Also it took me ages to figure out who the narrator was, kicked myself when i finally figured out that it was Jim Dale. His voice really suited the style of the programme though.

'Oh come on! Everybody knows this man tried to stab me through the neck, and you MISSED!....... butter fingers!'

The Bunk is strictly a suit and tie motherfucker

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 27
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 13/4/2008 7:56:51 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

quote:

Is Christen Chenoworth the original Glinda from Wicked?

Yeah she is, brilliant singer. I hope she gets to sing in the show.
I loved the narration.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 28
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 14/4/2008 5:32:43 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Brilliant, really charming show with a whole bunch of likebale characters, clever dialogue and an overall level of niceness that generally seems to be missing from TV. Seems strange about episode 2 though!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 29
RE: Pushing Daisies - UK Thread - 14/4/2008 8:39:47 AM   
discodave101

Absolutely loved every minute of its quirkiness and how different it was. Fantastic start to a new show.

What's all this about episode 2 though? You can't just skip a f'*king episode ITV! I guess we need more word (without spoilers) from someone in the american thread to explain why they might've decided to do this and if it means we'll miss any development? Was it just a really shit second episode?

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Pushing Daisies - UK Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI