Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Guillermo Del Toro In Talks For Hobbit?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Guillermo Del Toro In Talks For Hobbit? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Guillermo Del Toro In Talks For Hobbit? - 28/1/2008 12:54:51 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 28/1/2008 12:54:51 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

It'd be lovely if it'd happened, but come on, del Toro is such a busy man! Don't cross your fingers: del Toro is a genius, but he keeps juggling and dropping projects like a crappy clown. I'm not kidding, he completely forgot about his remakes of Creature from the Black Lagoon and The Witches. Still, I'd like to see him take on The Hobbit moreso than Potter.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Spooky picture of Del Toro - 28/1/2008 1:06:49 PM   
jb

As a fan of both LOTR and Harry Potter i'd like to see Del Toro's imaginative take on both the films.Im not sure what he could do with Frankenstein,its already been done,then spoofed (Young Frankenstein)...then remade (when de Niro played the monster)...then included in other film's (Van Helsing, god awful) and then that "modern day take" of it that was on tele a while ago.Please just make the Hobbit....please....

Post #: 3
- 28/1/2008 1:21:50 PM   
umer_ejaz

I'm just hoping it all comes true. The guy is a genious.

Post #: 4
Tell me you are joking! - 28/1/2008 1:42:14 PM   
stu121177

You have to be kidding me! This guy is more muppet than kermit the frog! He ruined the Hell Boy movies and Pans Laberinth was fu*kin Boring! Why are we even contemplating letting him near the LOR trilogy!

Post #: 5
Hope is kindled. - 28/1/2008 1:55:06 PM   
ThisIsntEvenMyDesk

I've been waiting for news of The Hobbit for so long I forgot the taste of bread, the sound of trees, the softness of the wind. We even forgot our own name. And we wept, precious.

Post #: 6
If this is true... - 28/1/2008 1:56:34 PM   
jpt1976

...its the best thing to happen. Ever. Full stop.

Post #: 7
Hope is kindled. - 28/1/2008 1:57:47 PM   
ThisIsntEvenMyDesk

I've been waiting for news of The Hobbit for so long I forgot the taste of bread, the sound of trees, the softness of the wind. We even forgot our own name. And we wept, precious.

Post #: 8
Happy Monday! - 28/1/2008 2:00:08 PM   
Halfling

Today was really sucking, and now...not so much!! I think Del Toro should be made to shelve any other project he has in mind in favour of The Hobbit. So can Alfonso Cuaron be now given HP7 please???

Post #: 9
- 28/1/2008 2:14:44 PM   
ilovekaren

come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 10
- 28/1/2008 2:16:51 PM   
dvddave

there is a god!who said Mondays were always a depressing day.Hobbit + Del Torro = stuff things dreams are made of

Post #: 11
This is the only way I will look forward to The Hobbit - 28/1/2008 2:17:36 PM   
RevolloveR

Without wishing Jackson were directing.

Post #: 12
- 28/1/2008 2:33:51 PM   
genlock

My heart just skipped a beat :D

Post #: 13
Y'know what... - 28/1/2008 2:33:51 PM   
britesparc

...I'd rather see him do Harry Potter. Controversial, I know, but given that The Hobbit has to look like LOTR - like the world Jackson's already created - part of me feels a massive creative force like Del Toro would be a bit hamstrung. I'd rather that gig went to a director who hadn't really had a "big break" yet; maybe like a Raimi pre-Spidey. Potter, on the other hand, has shown that it benefits strongly from a distinctive vision and a strong directorial hand; the best one is Cuaron's Azkaban. Del Toro, I feel, would bring more to Potter than to the Hobbit. However, he's still a terrific director and if he is doing the Hobbit - and if Jacko is still producing - this will very much rock the house.

Post #: 14
I'd rather see him do... - 28/1/2008 4:22:03 PM   
The_Hat

...anything but another bloody fantasy film! I want to see him try a western, or a war film (without fairies), or a straight drama. Frankenstein? The Hobbit? I can picture exactly how they'll look already! What's the point? I don't think he's right for Tolkien anyway.Get Raimi on the case.

Post #: 15
i don't get it - 28/1/2008 4:26:30 PM   
killmyidols

Jackson says he can't do it because he doesn't want the fans to wait forever, which they would have to if he did it as The Lovely Bones and Tintin have to be made first, but surely with Del Toro we'll be waiting longer, look at all the films he has on his plate at the moment! I'd rather wait five years to see the Jackson version to be honest.

Post #: 16
i don't get it - 28/1/2008 4:26:32 PM   
killmyidols

Jackson says he can't do it because he doesn't want the fans to wait forever, which they would have to if he did it as The Lovely Bones and Tintin have to be made first, but surely with Del Toro we'll be waiting longer, look at all the films he has on his plate at the moment! I'd rather wait five years to see the Jackson version to be honest.

Post #: 17
i don't get it - 28/1/2008 4:26:34 PM   
killmyidols

Post #: 18
- 28/1/2008 4:35:47 PM   
willchadwick

WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE HAPPY ABOUT THIS!!!

Post #: 19
- 28/1/2008 4:59:48 PM   
clarkkent

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

Good news

Post #: 20
- 28/1/2008 5:26:54 PM   
Pipkin3

Yay for The Hobbit, but I just wanted him to do the last Potter that little bit more, given that I love the book more than the Hobbit. Give the last Potter film to Cuaron, or someone like him, and I will be very happy! But good news for the Hobbit anyway!

Post #: 21
- 28/1/2008 6:10:18 PM   
Hughezy

i think i speak for everyone when i say this: AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAH!

Post #: 22
bad idea - 28/1/2008 6:16:22 PM   
vanburenbros

Frankly, del Toro's too good for this. Lord of the Rings was a load of flatulent rubbish and del Toro's films have always been of a far superior class. Sadly, this feels like he's lowering himself...

Post #: 23
RE: i don't get it - 28/1/2008 6:16:33 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

ORIGINAL: killmyidols

First, don't spam your message three times. Secondly, please do some research. New Line's rights to The Hobbit expire in 2010. That's why there'll be a movie with him not directing. Just be happy that he's producing with WETA back too.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to killmyidols)
Post #: 24
seriously? - 28/1/2008 6:43:19 PM   
topgunmaverick

LOOK AT THAT FUCKIN' BONE!

Post #: 25
- 28/1/2008 7:40:05 PM   
Nalfeshnee

oh man! i cant wait for this, really!

Post #: 26
RE: Y'know what... - 28/1/2008 8:10:27 PM   
Najemikon

quote:

ORIGINAL: britesparc
...I'd rather see him do Harry Potter. Controversial, I know, but given that The Hobbit has to look like LOTR - like the world Jackson's already created - part of me feels a massive creative force like Del Toro would be a bit hamstrung. I'd rather that gig went to a director who hadn't really had a "big break" yet; maybe like a Raimi pre-Spidey. Potter, on the other hand, has shown that it benefits strongly from a distinctive vision and a strong directorial hand; the best one is Cuaron's Azkaban. Del Toro, I feel, would bring more to Potter than to the Hobbit. However, he's still a terrific director and if he is doing the Hobbit - and if Jacko is still producing - this will very much rock the house.

I don't think The Hobbit does have to look exactly like LotR, because I seem to remember that Tolkein wrote The Hobbit as a children's fairytale, but LotR as a myth for England. So The Hobbit can be more whimsical. Pan's Labyrinth proved Del Toro is the best choice for fairytales, while Jackson is more suited to the epic myth style. It has room for interpretation as well, whereas I don't think Jackson took enough chances. No need for six endings, for instance.

For similar reasons, I wish Del Toro could have had a crack at Potter as well, but he may have been better on one of the middle books, rather than the restrictive and predictable conclusion.

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 27
Tired. Of. This. - 28/1/2008 8:43:43 PM   
keyzersaulsie

Three single sentence words. Eg. "Best. Bond. Ever." Man I'm no longer down with the kidz. I hate it. I. Hate. It. Or pre-amble that leads to a set-up with "hell," For example, "The Beard has three wildly different films in production in 2008. Hell, Spielberg's a one man movie studio."

< Message edited by keyzersaulsie -- 28/1/2008 8:44:55 PM >

Post #: 28
Bored Of The Rings. Bring on the madness. - 28/1/2008 9:25:53 PM   
Horrorguru

as a child i loved J.R.R. Tolkiens LORD OF THE RINGS books and its prequel THE HOBBIT. The films came out and i was as excited about them as everyone else was. in retrospect im bored of it.
Guillermo Del Toro is one of the last cult directors to still tread the borderline between cult and mainstream. i think he should scrap everything and get on with H.P.Lovecrafts AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS. after all most of del toro's movies have a tinge of a lovecraftian vibe (Hellboy, Cronos). and to be honest LOVECRAFT kicks the crap out of tolkien. give me nightmarish madness from lovecraft over tom bombadills suspicious encouregment to get the hobbits naked in the lord of the rings books.

Post #: 29
- 28/1/2008 11:33:17 PM   
Deacon Frost

As Jackson will be not be directing, this sounds like a logical move. G. Del Toro has proved himself in the genre. I am just glad they didnt give it to Brett Ratner or someone of that ilk. Wouldn't have been the first time. Surely there is something better for Jackson to be involved with than Tintin. I simply have no anticipation at all for that project.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Guillermo Del Toro In Talks For Hobbit? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI