Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night -Time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night -Time Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night -Time - 25/1/2008 2:15:45 AM   
siegfried

I bought this book to read on the plane between  London and Hong Kong a few months ago and read it straight through.
It tells the story - in the first person - of Christopher, an autistic 15 year old, who discovers his neighbour's poodle stabbed to death with a garden rake and determines, like his hero Sherlock Holmes, to solve the mystery.
In the hands of a lesser writer than Mark Haddon - hard to believe that this was his first novel - this could have been an epic of shmaltzy, over-the-top bad taste. Instead, it is both funny and ultimately very moving.
Can't see it being a successful film, though.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.
Post #: 1
RE: The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night -Time - 25/1/2008 3:54:44 PM   
Skiba

I read this a few years ago and didn't enjoy it that much...despite his illness, I found it very hard to sympathise with the boy but maybe that just shows my total ignorance about autism

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 2
RE: The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night -Time - 27/1/2008 2:03:32 PM   
Donnie Murdo

I just started this last night and I'm really enjoying it.  Just reached the part where Christopher reads the letters.

I find it pretty amusing, and also quite heart-breaking in many ways.  I suspect it will get even moreso towards the end.  Anyway, I'll give my final thoughts when I'm done (probably tomorrow).

My Blog - http://weeredsquirrel.com

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 3
RE: The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night -Time - 29/1/2008 9:03:25 AM   
Empitomezzo

Yeah, I couldn't stop crying towards the end, when he wouldn't even look at his dead after finding the letters. It was a really heartbreaking read, very bittersweet but very sad.

http://zummer.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Donnie Murdo)
Post #: 4
RE: The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night -Time - 30/1/2008 12:51:21 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I've just started reading this as well - only twenty or so pages in but I can't say it's grabbed me so far but it's early days.

(in reply to Empitomezzo)
Post #: 5
RE: The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night -Time - 30/1/2008 8:11:37 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

One of the best novels of the last 5 years. Hooked right from the start: Chapter 2 !

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 6
RE: The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night -Time - 31/1/2008 12:28:48 PM   
Donnie Murdo

Finished it the other night.  Pretty good, very gripping, and a great narrative style.  Wished it took longer than two sittings to read though....

My Blog - http://weeredsquirrel.com

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 7
RE: The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night -Time - 2/2/2008 6:36:28 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I've just started reading this as well - only twenty or so pages in but I can't say it's grabbed me so far but it's early days.

Give it time. I'm sure it will grow on you the further you get into it. I'd really like to know what you think once you've finished it.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night -Time Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI