Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Rambo

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rambo Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rambo - 2/3/2008 10:10:17 PM   
solid snake

Stallones most recent Rambo must be one of the most violent films to get an 18 certificate for quite sometime. And this does not fuck around when it comes to the violence and gore. This has to be one of the goriest films of the last five years. A lot of people will not be convinsed that this is trying to open people eyes to past genocides in Burma but its sure an excuse for rambo to kick bucket loads of Burmese ass. Some of the dialouge and acting was a little hammy but it was better than the other Rambos. Go see this expecting one brutal badass gorefest and not s thought provoking film. Awesome film.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 181
Rambo - 2/3/2008 10:10:20 PM   
solid snake

Stallones most recent Rambo must be one of the most violent films to get an 18 certificate for quite sometime. And this does not fuck around when it comes to the violence and gore. This has to be one of the goriest films of the last five years. A lot of people will not be convinsed that this is trying to open people eyes to past genocides in Burma but its sure an excuse for rambo to kick bucket loads of Burmese ass. Some of the dialouge and acting was a little hammy but it was better than the other Rambos. Go see this expecting one brutal badass gorefest and not s thought provoking film. Awesome film.

Post #: 182
Slow at first but with a full on bloodfest ending - 4/3/2008 10:45:47 PM   
brokenking

The only real downside to this moive is that Rambo has a team with him on his mission, he should be wiping out everyone by himself. As far as the action goes I was more then satisifed and I'm happy that I got to experience it at the cinema seeing as I never got to see any of the others there.

Post #: 183
RE: Slow at first but with a full on bloodfest ending - 5/3/2008 1:14:16 PM   
jonathonfisk

Really enjoyed Rambo, Sly knew what he was doing with this one and the action was as fun as anything I've seen recently. Nearly every critic review I've read has been 1 or 2 stars which is dissapointing but not surprising.

Anyway the last scene recalling First Blood made me smile a lot.

Great message as well, Christian Missionaries must be stopped!

(in reply to brokenking)
Post #: 184
RE: Rambo - 5/3/2008 9:30:26 PM   
Nicki47

typical Rambo movie non stop guns blazing sylvester stallone should not be doing this at his age!!!!

Post #: 185
RE: Rambo - 6/3/2008 10:44:33 AM   
starman9

DVD and BluRay announced today!

(in reply to Nicki47)
Post #: 186
RE: Rambo - 6/3/2008 2:18:34 PM   
Groovy Mule

Where to start, where to start?  Well, I guess I should start by saying that prior to seeing this, I hadn't seen any of the previous Rambo films.  On that basis, this film is probably not made for me.  However, I said the same thing last year when I saw Rocky Balboa having previously not seen any of the earlier incarnations of the Rocky series and I got swept up in the final fight sequence as much as anyone else in the cinema.  Would the same thing happen here?

Well, let's start with the positives.  The direction is pretty good - Stallone places Rambo in a particular directoral style and maintains this throughout and the style suits the type of high action film that this is.  Secondly, this film does a good job of not watering down the concept of its predecessors to make it more commercially appealling and this is to be applauded.  This film probably would have made more money as a 15 or 12A but the decision to make this a full-on visceral experience that fans who have grown up with the series is the right one.  That said, this is a film which is unflinchly violent and gory but there are some pretty impressive set pieces which ratchet

Now to the negatives.  As good as the direction is, Stallone should probably have stopped there with the creative processes.  The dialogue throughout the film is dire, repetitive and circular, particularly in the first twenty minutes where the dialogue patterns can be characterised by 4 lines of dialogue repeated ad nauseum - "We want to make a difference, You won't make a difference, Well we want to go anyway, Don't go there etc".  It is screenwriting at its laziest and grates very quickly.  Likewise the characterisations are stock and glib - the Christian missionaries are self-righteous and don't know the way of the world, the mercenaries are caricatures of characters from other similar films - from the idealistic youngster, to the singing US country hick to the foul mouthed Brit hardcase and the bad guys come straight from Bangkok central casting and are given other evil traits (as if perpetrating genocide wasn't sufficiently bad, the General is also far more interested in his youngest new recruits than he should be).

Much is made of Rambo's politics but frankly this film has none.  The 2 minute splicing of newsreels from Burma intended to serve as a political backstory is totally perfunctory and superfluous and changes the plot not one ounce.  Frankly, this film could be set anywhere in South East Asia and it would still boil down to the same basic story.

Ultimately, however, what I have said will have very little impact on those people psyched to see another Rambo movie.  For those people this will fulfill their expectations on the shooting stuff level and the criticisms which I have raised simply won't register.  However, for those prepared to scratch the surface, this is a lazy film with little going for it which is a shame.  Given the flair which Stallone shows in direction, I would like to see him direct someone else's script with other actors, then I think we will see what Stallone, as a director, is capable of.

Empire's star count is about right ... 4/10

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to starman9)
Post #: 187
RE: Rambo - 6/3/2008 10:50:06 PM   
Sutty

Just saw this tonight and I gotta say, I really enjoyed it. As a balls to the wall action flick it kicks arse.

As some will attest, I am a confirmed Stallone fan so I may have a little bias in me.
Yeah okay, some of the dialogue is a little poor or a bit cheesy (I'm thinking of the "Live for nothing, or die for something..." line imparticular), but anything spoken is mainly just to propel the story to the next bout of hardcore carnage.
Personally, I didn't go in wanting to hear Shakespeare or Odets! And I love the "Killing is as easy as breathing" line.
And it is fair to say that the characters - other than our man John J - are under developed. Again, I think the movie has only really sold itself as a throwback type action flick, and that is what it delivers in spades.

People are mangled, blown apart, gutted, and generally disposed of in gory, but interesting, ways.
Loved Rambo with the ol' bow and arrows. Very cool.
And when Rambo decides to invoke the spirit of Chuck Norris and become damn near untouchable, he unleashes hell in a way that Maximus only wishes he could.

Which kinda brings me to Rambo himself. I really dug the way that Sly played him. I think Rambo has become almost like a Gladiator. A forgotten warrior. He only knows how to kill, and as he says himself, war is in his blood. He has almost regressed to a more primitive state, eschewing any contact with the outside world he once knew and fought for. As he says in the film "Fuck the world."

And I think the ending was a nice pay off too. Didn't really expect it to be honest, and I thought that it was a smart way to finish the movie.

I maintain that Empire got the rating of this movie very wrong, but then they have never really rated Sly very highly. For whatever reason.

I will certainly be getting this on Blu-Ray, and I only hope that Sly lavishes it with extras.

Fours stars. ****

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 188
RE: Rambo - 6/3/2008 11:50:04 PM   
darth silas

Surprised to see that you only got round to watching it tonight Sutty.Given that youre such a fan of the big man,i woulda thought you woulda been there opening day!

Good review though,i pretty much agree with everything you said.My only real complaint about the film is that it is far too short.I wasnt expecting a David lean epic but still..

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 189
Rambo - 7/3/2008 10:22:57 PM   
HERMES_67

Empire, just what were you thinking???

This is a classic 80's action movie, great action all the way. A must see movie for all fans of action. Shame on you empire!!!

Post #: 190
RE: Rambo - 10/3/2008 11:15:32 AM   
DanCurley

EDIT - I think Empire were might harsh. Mighty harsh I say!

And at last, the work's of Steve Coogan have reached the jungles of Rambo. "Start with me you fackin ladyboy cahnt!"

< Message edited by DanCurley -- 10/3/2008 12:35:11 PM >

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to HERMES_67)
Post #: 191
RE: Rambo - 10/3/2008 11:17:29 AM   
Mojo

That probably will get you banned to be honest, they're dishing out all sorts of punishment at the moment. They are the law.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 192
RE: Rambo - 10/3/2008 11:54:28 AM   
DanCurley

EDIT - I rather enjoyed it. Thought it was splendid. Shame Empire didn't but opinions do differ sometimes. Each to their own I guess.

< Message edited by DanCurley -- 10/3/2008 12:33:03 PM >

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 193
RE: Rambo - 10/3/2008 4:46:45 PM   
Porrohman

A splendid film with some lovely acting.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 194
Rambo doesn't sleep, he waits... - 11/3/2008 10:12:16 AM   
anthonykeithalbrecht

Being 22 I never thought I'd have the chance to see both a new Rocky or Rambo film on the big screen, however the fates have seen fit to bless me with both. Rambo is superb, not sure why empire gave it such a harsh review. For a start surely it makes sense to team up a much older Rambo with young, fit supporting characters and as for plot, I think people should atch First Blood again which is hardly dense with twists and detail. Rambo is fun, short and brutal, brilliant!

Post #: 195
RE: Rambo doesn't sleep, he waits... - 11/3/2008 1:21:53 PM   
DanCurley

I even came to warm to the initially annoying cockney SAS geezah later on in the film. A brave man indeed, and someone I'd ring and offer some work to if I ever get kidnapped by an evil regime.

(in reply to anthonykeithalbrecht)
Post #: 196
RE: Rambo doesn't sleep, he waits... - 11/3/2008 2:44:54 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Absolutely superb!! In a world of emasculated action movies which are little more than adverts for kids toys Rambo kicks ass bringing blood n guts back to the big screen!! An excellent exploitation flick. Can't wait for Rambo 5!!!!!

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 197
RE: Rambo doesn't sleep, he waits... - 11/3/2008 2:57:29 PM   
Adie wan Kenobi

Empire should be ashamed of there review of this film.

it was superb.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 198
RE: Rambo doesn't sleep, he waits... - 12/3/2008 10:08:11 AM   
Porrohman

Its one of those films i just want to watch again and again!.like all the 80s classics.

(in reply to Adie wan Kenobi)
Post #: 199
- 14/3/2008 7:23:30 PM   
sfakman

I'm sorry but Rambo IS a "satisfying romp". It's Rambo for Gods sakes! Rambo doesn't need a plot. I've NEVER been to the cinema in the UK where the majority of the cinema clapped at the end. That's the reaction Rambo generated. That says to me this film was bloody entertaining and what going to the cinema should be about. I enjoyed every second of it. You can't take a film like this seriously. If you do, of course you won't enjoy it. If you take it with a pinch of salt you'll have a blast. Stallone, I salute you! Job well done.

Post #: 200
Rambo revisited - 16/3/2008 9:06:44 AM   
hellboyx

Watched this a few times now, and my original review still stands, in fact it has been strengthened and is nearly up to 5 stars! everybody who i have advised to watch this has not been disappointed, it is an awesome film and proves that Stallone is a rare breed to come back like he has, cant believe this only got 2 stars when truly lame films like 10,00 B.C. got higher just because it has pretty CGI.... if the marks dont change for the DVD release then i will be truly baffled!!!

Post #: 201
Rambo. - 21/3/2008 5:25:51 AM   
nc_jj

BACK, LIVE AND RELOADED.

Post #: 202
I'm sorry Empire Magazine... - 24/3/2008 7:54:26 PM   
alfredo sartore

Dear Empire Magazine Mr. Stallone has delivered with great impact one of the best action films of his career, and definitely set a NEW standard of what an action film should be. HARD-POUNDING VIOLENCE with a STRONG LEADING CHARACTER, unfortunately after The Matrix complexed action films with CGI and twist and turning story lines have proven to be good entertainment. Paving the way for a new generation of action films, sadly it seems if an action film is not complex in its storyline or production then it cannot be considered to be an entertaining film. Mr. Stallone has taken a raw format and treated it in a brutal fashion to create A true to the genre ACTION FILM.

Post #: 203
The future of John Rambo - 24/3/2008 8:01:17 PM   
alfredo sartore

If Rambo decides to fight one more time, then just as a suggestion can he RAISE HELL in a big city like Washington or New York somewhere were soldiers are acclaimed or have a reason to fight. Sort of like a DIE HARD 4.0 setting but having Stallone ripping a big metropolis apart.

< Message edited by alfredo sartore -- 24/3/2008 8:02:55 PM >

Post #: 204
Its about time ... - 15/4/2008 1:14:37 PM   
FlexDream

At last a movie giving some idea what it's like in Burma. Worth it for that alone. Comic strip violence doesn't detract from the gripping portrayal of what it's like to be unarmed and targetted in a war zone. It's not the Mission, and it's a bit gung ho, but it does bring a contempary slant on the 'how you fight evil' debate. Stallone is remarkably physically imposing given his age.

Post #: 205
Sorry Empire, but you're wrong wrong wrong. - 18/4/2008 8:36:29 AM   
Kit Fisto

This film is simply pure mindless banter. It's really not supposed to have a Coen Brothers-esque script, or some sort of 'meaning'...it's just Stallone taking out bad guys. Last time it was the entire Russian army - this time it's Burmese bad guys. It's not rocket science. It's so much fun!

There should be lines such as 'fuck the world'! and 'you guns?' no? 'you aint gonna change anything'.

Get off your high horse and appreciate it for being what it is. Banter.

Post #: 206
Sorry Empire, but you're wrong wrong wrong. - 18/4/2008 8:36:48 AM   
Kit Fisto

This film is simply pure mindless banter. It's really not supposed to have a Coen Brothers-esque script, or some sort of 'meaning'...it's just Stallone taking out bad guys. Last time it was the entire Russian army - this time it's Burmese bad guys. It's not rocket science. It's so much fun!

There should be lines such as 'fuck the world'! and 'you guns?' no? 'you aint gonna change anything'.

Get off your high horse and appreciate it for being what it is. Banter.

Post #: 207
Fantastic. Just awesome. - 29/4/2008 10:45:59 PM   
Johnny Capcom

I'm really glad to see all these peope who disagree with the empire review, because Rambo is a fantastic action experience. Its a gore-tastic bullet hell explosion. If you loved the old movies you'll love this one.

Post #: 208
LOVE IT! - 7/5/2008 1:58:18 PM   
tallaght24

Empire are wrong sometimes, and my oh my did they drop the ball on this one? This is my favourite Rambo movie, the violence on show is incredible. Great action film!

Post #: 209
Bloody Stuff - 13/5/2008 2:03:04 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I quite enjoyed this movie! I have to commend Stallone for highlighting the plight of the oppressed in Burma although it's a shame that it's a lightweight effort like Rambo that's doing the educating.  
It's fucking violent and I'm not entirely sure seeing a kid being thrown into a burning shack was entirely necessary, but at least we some hardcore payback at the end.

I have to agree with the Empire review that it was much more of a team effort this time round and it definately left Rambo a bit sidelined. Even though his meat grinding display with the mounted gun was great to watch, just the fact he basically stayed in one spot firing off rounds till the end seemed a little disappointing.

That said I liked the mercenaries (even the annoying ex-SAS baldy) and Matthew Marsden was cool with his head popping sniper rounds.

I even liked the fact the fact that the pacifist ends up beating a baddie to death at the end with a rock - yeah it's bad to take a life but hell sometimes it's just plain necessary!

(in reply to tallaght24)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rambo Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI