Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sorry but...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Sorry but... Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sorry but... - 24/2/2008 1:58:58 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: C3

Oh, and do they still let olly Richards review films? After his "5 star Cloverfield" review, he showed he was no Barry Norman.

That's a bit out of the blue, no? He didn't review Rambo.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to C3)
Post #: 151
RE: Sorry but... - 24/2/2008 2:06:57 PM   
Manchurian candidate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: C3

Oh, and do they still let olly Richards review films? After his "5 star Cloverfield" review, he showed he was no Barry Norman.

That's a bit out of the blue, no? He didn't review Rambo.

Semantics, semantics.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! … Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 152
RE: Rambo - 24/2/2008 4:19:47 PM   
Timon

I went to go see Rambo last night and as a fan of the previous installements (even Rambo III), I was quite excited. Now, I've been following the production since it kicked off - i've been there through the ridiuclous name changes, jokes about Sly's age and more recently, the backlash of stinging reviews but I will say this about the film - it doesn't shy away. From anything.

Sly does try very hard to get a message across about the Burmese situation but as soon as the bullets start flying (and the limbs) and flesh fills the screen, you forget. Basically because you're so horrified. Now if you've seen the likes of Apocalypto or Tears of the Sun, you've seen the whole rape/pillage/brutalise thing before but this is so extreme, my palms were sweating. It's so violent, it seems out of place in a Rambo film.

Before we've seen the likes of evil Vietnamese generals being blown up with explosive arrows and cheered, here when Rambo is gunning down an entire Burmese batallion it's so brutal and bloody, you can only sit there with your mouth open.

Sure, these guys are bad (we've been shown how evil they are multiple times - if we needed it confirming, their leader sodomises young boys) but fuck me, no deserves to have their head exploded like that.

The violence definetely isn't for everyone but if you're going to see this film, you're going to see it because a) you like the previous films and b) you want to see Sly deliver on his promise of old school action. While  he delivers with a packed 90mins (which was long enough), there's nothing old school about the action, it's the stuff we've seen a hundred times - just with more gore. Old school action involved Arnie using a rose bush for cover while gunning down minions like there is no tomorrow...this just makes you uncomfortable because of HOW gory it is.

Still...good to see Sly back and it delivered what i'd expected and what you go to see a Rambo film for. It's just a pity the villians were so bland as were the supporting characters...still, we were there for Sly and it was good to see him back. Say what you like about the man, but he's not expendable.

< Message edited by Timon -- 24/2/2008 9:10:54 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 153
RE: Rambo - 24/2/2008 5:17:59 PM   
Scruffybobby

Empire loved Cloverfield, so did I . They didn't like the Simpsons Movie. I did. They loved Transformers I thought it was shite. Sometimes I agree with them and sometimes I don't. Am I going to throw my toys out of the pram every time the latter happens? Threaten to cancel my subscritption. question the intelligence and integrity of the reviwers? No, I just don't see the point.

In this instance though I pretty much have to agree with them so it's not really an issue. Rambo is  very, very violent. By the final scene in which Big Bad John is gunning down swathe after swathe of Burmese soldiers it's not exciting, it's not shocking, it's not funny, it's just - endless.

There's barely a plot, no character development and no memorable dialouge (bar one line which I'll get to in a minute). That may not be of much concern to audiences who just want to see heads explode - a lot, but an hour and a half of that is actually pretty dull. If Sly had just reigned in the quantity rather than the intenstiy of the violence this might have had more impact. Less really is more.

The cast do thier best with what they have, but that's not a hell of a lot. Other than Stallone no one really makes that much of an impression, their characters being one dimensional stereotypes at best. As the only female in the thing Julie Benz has nothing to do but run around, look scared and cry, which she does well enough but it's hardly challenging.  Graham McTavish is quite amusing as Lewis, and does get the best line of the film."Come and have a go..." If you've seen the film you'll know the rest.

The news footage at the start of the film is as close as the film comes to having a message, but it's lost in all the airborne brains and intestines. Fist Blood at leat had something that you could take away, however heavy handed the delivery might have been. All this leaves is numbness and a slight taste of sick in the mouth.

Rocky Balboa was a great return to form for Stallone. It was a risk to bring back his other most iconic character but it paid off. Unfortunately lighting has not struck twice. He should have left John J in peace

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 154
RE: Rambo - 24/2/2008 9:18:03 PM   
darth silas

Call me crazy but i didnt find the film as gut wrenchingly violent as everyone here has said.I guess its because i enjoyed seeing Rambo tear those bastards apart.The audience i was with cheered when...SPOILER ALERT...Rambo gutted the burmese general at the end.

If anything,i thought there wasnt enough action within the short running time and i missed the explosive tipped arrows! Great fun this film is though.

How about getting Paul verhoeven to direct the next one?

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 155
RE: Rambo - 24/2/2008 9:19:24 PM   
skeletonjack

Watching Rambo movies on video was a big part of my childhood so finally being able to see one on the big screen was an experience 20 odd years in the making.
I loved this movie, a big, loud, violent action movie the likes of which the studios seem too scared to make any more. This is how I want my action heroes to be (please take note Bruce). Sure it's daft and it wont win any awards, but it certainly entertains and for that Mr Stallone I thank you. 4 Stars

< Message edited by skeletonjack -- 24/2/2008 10:03:26 PM >

Post #: 156
More action early on.. - 25/2/2008 4:36:06 PM   
Gold Digger

Ironically I felt this needed more action during the early part of the movie. The brutal Burma is clearly a vile place but we needed Rambo in there earlier blowing things up. Talking of blowing things up how comes a WWII bomb can explode like a small nuclear bomb? On the plus side the finale bullet fest is impressive and shows the destructive force of the machinery of war.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 157
YES YES YES - 25/2/2008 5:19:23 PM   
Navthedon

This movie KICKS ASS!!!

The reviewer has totally missed the point about Rambo 4. This movie isnt about anchors and bad guy characterisation. Its simply an excuse to take you through a nostalgic view of the 80's action film and bring it into 2008. That’s it! It’s an action film through and through.

The action is just Jaw dropping, pant wetting, limp flying, free for all, shot em up like no other in the past decade!!

Seriously, I read all the reviews and got a brief gist of the general consensuses of opinions about this film from Rotten tomatoes, but this is the first time Ive actually disagreed with such a vast amount of negativity.

This is a proper action packed film just for the lads. I can imagine being at uni and getting all my mates together and watching this with them and just loving it!!

You know how most action films have alot of explosions and stunts and you can blatantly tell is CGI. Well this film is just hard core old school! No fancy CGI (well maybe the Claymore bit) and green screen crap, just proper old school action and violence.

And violence is exactly whats been missing from alot of action films. They've toned it down for the explosions and fancy stunts and this goes back to the drawing and take it from there.

I give alot of respect to sly on this one. A lot of critics will be really snobbish about this film and will just want to savage it for the sake of being one dimensional yet that is exactly what Cloverfield was and everybody loved that…so up yours!!!

Post #: 158
Get in, get out, no messing around. - 25/2/2008 6:17:25 PM   
Paxton

As the rather contrived title of my review suggests, this film is rather like the mission which it portrays. It exists to serve one purpose: Deliver a level of (literally) visceral action we have not seen in 20 years.

There has rarely been a vessel better suited to this type of endeavour than Stallone as Rambo. Rambo has become the movies' definitive man of action over words. The history of the character (and of the actor playing him) imbue the entire film with the sense that once that low activation energy has been reached, a chain reaction is set in motion which cannot be stopped. Put a bee in Rambo's bonnet, and he doesn't so much shake it out as eat the fucking hat, bug and all.

Do not go in expecting a parable for modern American foreign policy, or any astute political observations on the Burmese situation. Do not expect award-worthy performances or dialogue. This film is here to punt your balls into your throat, and it does so with no mercy and no remorse.

The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because it's too damn short.

Post #: 159
RE: Rambo - 25/2/2008 6:22:35 PM   
Paxton

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

WOW. Good fucking call.

I drink your milkshake.

Films I am jazzed for:

Not a whole lot these days...

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 160
RE: Rambo - 25/2/2008 6:27:37 PM   
Paxton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

There's barely a plot, no character development and no memorable dialouge (bar one line which I'll get to in a minute). That may not be of much concern to audiences who just want to see heads explode - a lot, but an hour and a half of that is actually pretty dull. If Sly had just reigned in the quantity rather than the intenstiy of the violence this might have had more impact. Less really is more.

Um... no. Try applying that to sex. Doesn't work, does it?

This is the case for all visceral experience, be it action, drugs, rock music, etc.

I drink your milkshake.

Films I am jazzed for:

Not a whole lot these days...

Post #: 161
RE: If it was directed by George Lucas it would be 5 Stars - 26/2/2008 10:43:13 AM   
rockybalboa

yes apparantly Odeon is not showing Rambo. I phoned them up and they told me that Odeon had fallen out with Sony. There will only be one winner though! Stupid dumbass odeon will pay.

(in reply to Porrohman)
Post #: 162
RE: Rambo - 26/2/2008 10:49:28 AM   
James2183

quote:

fuck me, no deserves to have their head exploded like that.

Timon, that review line deserves to be on the poster. I almost choked laughing

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 163
RE: Rambo - 26/2/2008 12:55:50 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paxton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

Um... no. Try applying that to sex. Doesn't work, does it?

This is the case for all visceral experience, be it action, drugs, rock music, etc.

Have to disagree. There was just so damn much violence, so many flying limbs, heads and guts that the film just becomes dull. By the time you've seen the 20th head explode it just has no meaning, no impact no nothing. Watching legions of soldiers getting mown down by Rambo is like watching someone else playing some ultra-violent X-box game. It's just boring.

I wanted to like this film.  I really did but it just a 14 year old's "guns and ammo" fantasy wankfest.

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Paxton)
Post #: 164
Loved it like I knew I would! - 26/2/2008 2:08:42 PM   
tallaght24

I saw this yesterday afternoon and have to say I enjoyed it immensely. Not since First Blood have I really enjoyed a Rambo film as much. Hmm maybe now I won't get my wrist slapped by Empire since I have actually seen it. Oh well, stranger things have happened.

Post #: 165
live for nothing die for something! - 26/2/2008 2:12:26 PM   
calisto

Rambo,my eyes lit up when his face appeared,and the theme from first blood played, it was just like seeing an old freind on the big screen,such is the love for the screen character,and its not a 5 star movie but its easily a 3 and a half at least.
i expected less but was rewarded with more,Stallones age makes rambo more menacing now than ever before,he doesn't say much,but his actions speak louder, he moves slower but those movements are deadly i expected a film that was dull and then picks up in the last few minutes,but from the shocking opening to the return home ending it works,its a shame that its audience may only see the action side of things and not question anything further of its back story,its not going to have the back up of campaining groups or human rights,for its violent content,nor does it deliver a more human story than Edward Zwickes Blood Diamond which had de beers counter claiming against the film,and the backing of amnesty international to raise awareness of the blood diamond trade and the civil war in Sierra Leone in the 90s.

But Rambo delivers an experience the likes i havent had in an action movie in a long long time,you root for him,you smile at the cheeky mercenaries,Matthew Marsden from Corrie in the 90s and Blackhawk Down and you so want to see revenge/justice served upon those soldiers,who wantonly kill maim torture and inflict murder the likes we in the Uk will never see,and its gleeful stuff when rambo takes hold of that 50 cal and tears apart the enemy troops.
i wanted to clap shout hoot cheer,and be pleased that bad things be served to bad people,and have them all die horribly and they do.

Mark Kermode says this film is "morally bankrupt",well there is that subtext of christians having the justification to kill,but the karen people are christian and in the minority,and in reality all religions kill,in one way or another.
but Rambo's lasting victory is if only a few people from each screening go home type up burma an

Post #: 166
RE: live for nothing die for something! - 26/2/2008 6:30:21 PM   
mackey

Saw this with a crowd that was really into it so there was lots of cheering and clapping and I have to say I had a ball. The most full on, over the top, ultra violent action film in quite some time - exactly what I was hoping for.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to calisto)
Post #: 167
RE: live for nothing die for something! - 26/2/2008 6:59:50 PM   
Frank Castle

Rambo has got to be the most brutal film ive seen ever!! I cannot remember a film with so much blood on offer. No film i have ever seen has made me quite disturbed as the attack on the village and kidnapping the americans. Especially the amount of women and children that are killed. Infact everything dies!!
Maybe it kinda was over the top but i only think that because the film was a bit short. If they had made it a bit longer and evened out the mayhem a bit this would have been even better.
I do like how the main bad guy just wasnt evil enougth they had to make him a molester to. Just incase we didnt think he deserved what he got as it was.
I always had doubts about stallone brining back rambo i always thought it would ruin the good work he did with the return of rocky but it hasnt, Stallone has done exactly what he was supposed to a very violent 80's flick for the new generation. No crappy pg-13 action here and well worth a 3 star not 2!

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 168
This fucking ROCKED! - 26/2/2008 10:03:28 PM   
TheMadFatChickKiller

I was really genuinely impressed with this. Despite Empire poo pooing and even when I heard Odeon are not carrying this (fucking shame on you halfwits...."commercial reasons" they cited as the reason) this is a genuine balls the wall PROPER action movie. Okay so the message gets lots in a tidal wave of guns and silly gore (yes, silly) but there's no denying the fire in Stallone's belly that got this flick made. And he puts certain 'hot' action directors to shame, at 61 years old (looking at YOU Len Wiseman). Stallone knows people don't want anaemic PG-13 action, the trailer rocked with old school video thrills - in short this guy fucking KNOWS his audience better than any pish exit poll test audience made up of those rednecks in the Simpsons "who wants a wax?" does. As he did with Rocky Balboa, Stallone knows the pulse of his audience, but does not pander to them. Even in so called dumb ass action there must be narrative, character beats and a story arc, and in as much as dumb ass Action flicks go, this ticks the boxes. Delighted with this film - Sly you fucking ROCK!

< Message edited by TheMadFatChickKiller -- 29/2/2008 1:15:11 PM >

Post #: 169
RE: This fucking ROCKED! - 27/2/2008 2:09:03 PM   
grucl

I still don’t see how Rambo IV is old school.

Old school didn’t have heads exploding every 30 seconds. It had bloody bullet holes but not limbs severed with every single gunshot for 20 minutes.

Old school would have had Rambo going in there alone. He wouldn’t have needed help from 6(!) other guys.

Old school would have had at least a handful of memorable quotes. “Killing is in your blood!”? Come on…

(in reply to TheMadFatChickKiller)
Post #: 170
Rambo - 27/2/2008 4:08:29 PM   
Ethan Hunt

This is by far the Best Rambo Movie Ever Made.Sly has pulled it
off yet again! I heard this was originally rated NC-17 in the States.

Post #: 171
RE: Rambo - 27/2/2008 10:44:40 PM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

their leader sodomises young boys

He may have invited the young chap round to admire his narrow guage hornby train set!

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 172
RE: Rambo - 28/2/2008 10:38:21 AM   
Diggler

Spoilers follow...

Seen at The Light, Leeds, 2pm showing (Wednesday).

Having avoided details as much as I could, the only thing I knew for certain was that it was very violent. Even knowing that, I was pretty shocked just how violent this film actually was. With approx 2.6 killings per minute (found the stats via the internet) by the time the credits roll there isn't any way left for someone to die that hasn't been shown.

It's difficult to describe what happens in Rambo without mentioning the extreme violence but to be honest take that away and there isn't much left to discuss.

Rambo lives a peaceful existence, is asked to take a group of people up river into Burma, they get into trouble within hours of arriving and the rescue mission begins. Mercenaries are sent to rescue the volunteers & Rambo ends up rescuing everyone. Mix into that an absurd amount of graphic violence and that pretty much sums the 90 minutes up. 

The movie is pretty much like the man himself, it is what it is. It's unlikely you'll wander into this movie without knowing what to expect. If you have an idea, you won't be disappointed.

Rambo delivers exactly what it sets out to do.

3/5

< Message edited by Diggler -- 28/2/2008 3:11:12 PM >

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 173
RE: Rambo - 28/2/2008 11:01:43 AM   
harvinder08

Iv seen the the film yesterday the storyline iz rubbish but the violence n action makez up for it..

Post #: 174
What action films should be. - 28/2/2008 7:50:23 PM   
Gator MacReady

Shame on Empire and their nobody critic who loves to hate.

The show I went to was packed. Shame on Odeon. Go stick to Epic Movie and all that shit.

Stallone is 61. You hear me? 61. That is his age. All of you idiots get it right.

A shame we'll not be seeing much more of films like this. Too many kiddie action movies and tame heroes.

The future of action movies is fucked unless more people see the awesomeness that is Rambo.

Post #: 175
RE: This ROCKED! - 29/2/2008 1:12:58 PM   
TheMadFatChickKiller

grucl - I said the trailer rocked with old school thrills - as a first glimpse of the film we saw John J Rambo running about, by himself, despatching bad guys with knife, arrows, and a bloody great big fuck-off gun. Those are all old skool.

After seeing the film, yeh, it does have contemporary elements, and yeh the one liners are gone, but I made the point that a 61 year old Stallone ROCKS because he turned out such an amped up film.

plus - he didn't actually need help from anyone - once he was in action, all they did was bitch around, only when John J turned up with his bow and arrows did it start to ROCK!

Have I said ROCK enough yet? No? Good.

< Message edited by rikkie -- 29/2/2008 1:31:14 PM >

It's my way, or the highway...

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 176
RE: Rambo - 29/2/2008 2:16:04 PM   
LEEJGM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paxton

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

WOW. Good fucking call.

I think Sly's done a good enough job to warrant directing another.
Maybe we will see rambo take on the evil cinema dictatorship that is Odeon.

I loved it by the way, but I am biased as I grew up watching Rambo and Rocky movies.  I don't agree with Empire's review but, again, I am biased towards Sly movies in the way that some are biased towards the (overated but still enjoyable) Star Wars movies. 

A solid 4 stars for me.  Rambo is a Ronseal film that doesn't try to be anything other than a much bloodier, grittier, realistic and far superior Rambo 3. 

(in reply to Paxton)
Post #: 177
Kill!!! - 1/3/2008 5:37:59 PM   
jonathanegan1

Awesome stuff. I knew when Empire only gave this 2 stars it was gonna b good! Unfortunately this is the only film site I know so gotta stay with it. Anyway Sly Stallone with guns,knifes and kills. Pretty much all you need!

Post #: 178
RE: Kill!!! - 2/3/2008 12:01:36 PM   
Mikey 6

For some reason, when I first heard Stallone was doing a new Rambo film, I assumed he would be attempting a similar thing to Rocky Balboa.
That is, take the series back to its roots and attempt to make a sequal worthy of the original movie.
Rather than this being like First Blood though, its even more mindless and reactionary than Rambo: First Blood Part II!!!

"If you don't co-operate, you're gonna suffer from Fistophobia"

(in reply to jonathanegan1)
Post #: 179
Rambo - 2/3/2008 5:26:32 PM   
Muthar1986

I though rambo was quality best action film i have seen ages, paid for my tickets to see people get blown up, maimed, etc... got every penny back. they just don't make films were bad guy are bad, and the good guys are good!

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Sorry but... Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI