Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Rambo

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rambo Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rambo - 22/1/2008 3:17:33 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Hang on a sec, - 22/1/2008 3:17:33 PM   
elzupasmonkey

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/041/041142/vid_2250734.html

That clip alone is worth five stars!

Still going to go see it.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Grimbo - 22/1/2008 5:16:16 PM   
DanCurley

Two stars? What a fucking pisser... still gonna go watch it mind...

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to elzupasmonkey)
Post #: 3
RE: Rambo - 22/1/2008 5:26:30 PM   
Timon

Can't say, I'm not disappointed by Empire's review but I'm still going to go see. It's still one of the event films of the year for me.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 4
RE: Rambo - 22/1/2008 6:26:16 PM   
Rgirvan44

Yeah, still going opening night. Think its going to be one of those films that will divide people, but after the redband trailer and hearing Stallone talk about it I am pretty excited for it.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: Rambo - 22/1/2008 6:32:35 PM   
Mojo

I'll be there, despite this review. Hell I went to watch Hitman and AvP: Requim and they both recieved the one star treatment. When's this actually out?

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 6
RE: Rambo - 23/1/2008 10:11:34 AM   
JagLover

I am a bit dubious about this review myself. Tears of the Sun, which is a decent action film with a similar premise, also received 2 stars. Any objective assessment would rate that 3 stars at least.

But the fact is that if Empire doesn't like the politics it won't get a decent review.

Post #: 7
RE: Rambo - 23/1/2008 10:18:01 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: JagLover

I am a bit dubious about this review myself. Tears of the Sun, which is a decent action film with a similar premise, also received 2 stars. Any objective assessment would rate that 3 stars at least.

But the fact is that if Empire doesn't like the politics it won't get a decent review.

It my oh so humble opinion, the Director's Cut of Tears of the Sun is bordering on being a 4 star film but that's a debate for another thread.....

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 8
RE: Rambo - 23/1/2008 10:56:54 AM   
Sutty

Won't stop me a jot going to see this film. Never trust Empire when it comes to a review of one of slys movies.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: Rambo - 23/1/2008 5:20:52 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

Won't stop me a jot going to see this film. Never trust Empire when it comes to a review of one of slys movies.
Same here.Lets face it,they never really liked the Rambo films anyway(two stars for First blood part 2?One of the best action movies of the eighties).So judging from this review,ill take it that the movie is actually very good.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 10
RE: Rambo - 23/1/2008 5:35:56 PM   
DanCurley

The review's clumsily written as well, certainly not up to Empire's usually high standards. Can only assume it's a workie or some new freelancer who'd they'd not normally have commissioned but had exclusive access to the review.

Fucking hell, it's not out until the 22nd Feb, that's bloody ages to wait post reading a review of it...

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 11
I don't trust this review - 23/1/2008 5:40:06 PM   
mjscarface

Sorry Empire but you just called Rocky Balboa a triumph which you only rated 3 stars (not enough). And as for the lack of Sly's on-man army routine - isn't this from the same people who criticise the old ones for that reason?????

Post #: 12
RE: I don't trust this review - 23/1/2008 6:18:02 PM   
Porrohman

Never heard of the reviewer and i must say im surprised empires reviewed it when its not out here for another month and as far as i can see no other reviews online from across the pond.and it opens there friday

(in reply to mjscarface)
Post #: 13
RE: I don't trust this review - 23/1/2008 7:00:21 PM   
DanCurley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Porrohman

Never heard of the reviewer and i must say im surprised empires reviewed it when its not out here for another month and as far as i can see no other reviews online from across the pond.and it opens there friday

He did Catwomen and The Departed. My guess he's an American who sometimes gets first dabs on stuff and flogs it abroad.

This is one review Empire should lob into the trash can and get Olly or Dan to redo in two weeks times...

(in reply to Porrohman)
Post #: 14
RE: I don't trust this review - 23/1/2008 7:11:16 PM   
Porrohman

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanCurley

quote:

He did Catwomen and The Departed. My guess he's an American who sometimes gets first dabs on stuff and flogs it abroad.

This is one review Empire should lob into the trash can and get Olly or Dan to redo in two weeks times...

I agree,Get someone familiar and cuddly to review it.

Seriously though, im pissed off, i really wanted this to get a good write up.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 15
RE: I don't trust this review - 23/1/2008 7:35:51 PM   
Izzet

Two stars? Oh, it'll probably be a really enoyable movie then.

Alien Experience Messageboard

(in reply to Porrohman)
Post #: 16
RE: I don't trust this review - 23/1/2008 8:04:31 PM   
DanCurley

quote:

I agree,Get someone familiar and cuddly to review it.

Seriously though, im pissed off, i really wanted this to get a good write up.

Don't have to be cuddly (although familar helps), just not shit at reviewing. It reeks of workie. I dare not think what the raw copy was like, bet one of the subs is lying on a hospital bed foaming at the mouth demanding a week off to recover...

(in reply to Porrohman)
Post #: 17
- 24/1/2008 12:07:12 AM   
CHUFFSTER

Well,the reviewer HAS been with EMPIRE for a while(he reviewed Catwoman and The Departed),but....I don't think I can trust EMPIRE reviews any longer,considering the 5 stars it has just given to the crapfest that is Cloverfield!

Post #: 18
RE: Rambo - 24/1/2008 10:04:38 AM   
gooner_no1

quote:

ORIGINAL: JagLover

Good point.

Still irks that Apocalypto, one of the most exciting, visceral and cinematic experiences of last year only got three stars, and didn't even make their best 25 films of 2007 list (when utter merde like The Fountain did.) I think it demonstrates that the film maker is also being reviewed.

It is the only explanation I can find for this glaring anomaly.

Remember The Pianist (2 stars) and even further back The Crying Game (2 stars)?

Oh, and how about Hostel II getting three stars when it is a no star no talent film?

Wasn't one of Empire's writing staff in this? It seems good reviews can be bought.

< Message edited by gooner_no1 -- 24/1/2008 10:06:54 AM >

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 19
RE: - 24/1/2008 11:27:28 AM   
DanCurley

quote:

ORIGINAL: CHUFFSTER

Well,the reviewer HAS been with EMPIRE for a while(he reviewed Catwoman and The Departed)

Yeah, as the power of internet searching and rotten tomatory proves, but that this is his third review in all them years, he's clearly some last resort backup. His review is a load of shite.

I'm not sure pulling out a small handful of reviews of when Empire has gotten it wrong means anything. They review an unspeakable amount of films with so many different writers over such a long period of time... that someone gave The Crying Game 2/5 400 years ago has anything to do with their Rambo review is ludicrous.

The fact is that this review doesn't back up its arguments well enough. "Rambo doesn't lead the action, he commands a group of mercs which is wrong yadda-yadda" what the fuck you on about? Why is that bad? It reads and stinks like a kipper.

If it's to get a 2/5, then so be it. Shame, but shit films happen. But it's a shit review, so think I'll be scooting around a few more reviews closer to the release date...

(in reply to CHUFFSTER)
Post #: 20
RE: Rambo - 24/1/2008 11:29:21 AM   
Gazz

Chud have rated the film 8.5/10.

Post #: 21
RE: Rambo - 24/1/2008 11:32:19 AM   
DanCurley

Who's Chud? Don't they make locks?

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 22
RE: Rambo - 24/1/2008 11:50:46 AM   
Gazz

http://chud.com/

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 23
RE: RE: - 24/1/2008 4:45:02 PM   
Ti

SADovski is Empire's russian reviewer, he hates Rambo (& Rocky too).

I'll see this in cinemas AND buy the DVD!
And yes, Tears of the Sun DC is worth 3 stars!

It's true, I'm a rageoholic! I just can't get enough RAGEOHOL!

My books

My Blu-ray collection

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 24
RE: RE: - 24/1/2008 4:49:59 PM   
DanCurley

Don't blame him, Stallone's constanly wiping his backside on the Hammer & Sickle flag be it with a machine gun in Rambo III or with his dukes in Rocky IV...

(in reply to Ti)
Post #: 25
RE: RE: - 24/1/2008 5:10:33 PM   
adambatman82

this is amazing, i cant believe someones gone to the trouble of counting all the details!

i guess that technically it is a minor spoiler tho, but that depends on your point of view more than anything. it doesnt say anything specifically, but more the overall details.

rambo death chart

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 26
RE: Rambo - 24/1/2008 5:12:06 PM   
adambatman82

i cant believe that my 5 star earning comment came from a comment on rambo.

Post #: 27
RE: Rambo - 24/1/2008 6:51:55 PM   
darth silas

There are a bunch of reviews for Rambo up on AICN.Pretty much all of them are highly positive.Most are raving about the absolute carnage delivered during the films last half hour!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 28
RE: RE: - 24/1/2008 11:01:41 PM   
Ti

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

this is amazing, i cant believe someones gone to the trouble of counting all the details!

i guess that technically it is a minor spoiler tho, but that depends on your point of view more than anything. it doesnt say anything specifically, but more the overall details.

rambo death chart

This is awesome! 5 stars!
SADovski check it out!

My books

My Blu-ray collection

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 29
RE: RE: - 25/1/2008 4:16:23 AM   
Ti

Jobloreview is up here http://www.joblo.com/review-rambo 
9 out of 10. That's more like it! 

My books

My Blu-ray collection

(in reply to Ti)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rambo Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI