Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Complete Ridley Scott

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: The Complete Ridley Scott Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 27/1/2008 11:07:30 AM   
homersimpson_esq

King_Bard, I have a project for you... Watch it! You'll be doing yourself an immense favour. It's kind of sad that Blade Runner is his best film, and is so early on in his career, because the rest of this list is sort of secondary to that film. Still, there are some real gems, and some underrated solid films that need a bit of defending. Plus, the man has variety. Is there a genre he hasn't tackled yet? *thinks* Ooh, a Western. How awesome would that be? I don't like older Westerns, but newer ones like Jesse James... have really got me excited about the genre being revitalised. I liked Unforgiven too. I can only imagine that a Scott Western would be quite exceptionally awesome. The closest he got to photographing that part of America was Thelma & Louise, but in the Western context it could be quite something.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 31
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 27/1/2008 11:29:01 AM   
King_Bard

Blade runner going to have to be an amzing film to top Alien and Gladiator which are currently my fave Ridley Scott films.....
I will get Blade runner this week and report back on wether i do think it is Scotts best film....

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 32
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 27/1/2008 12:14:39 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Make sure it's the Final Cut - and, if you have HD then I hear it's particularly soul-blastingly awesome in that format.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 33
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 28/1/2008 10:49:04 AM   
homersimpson_esq

04. Legend (1985)

If you've made a startlingly good debut, and followed that with an astonishing second film, the third film was always going to have a lot to live up to. People gave it an initial backlash, but Blade Runner is now recognised as the true timeless classic it is. On the wave of the initial critical mauling Blade Runner received, Scott made the only film I'm willing to show my children at the moment, Legend. I have very mixed feelings about this film. Part of me sees it as a magical, pure fantasy film that tells of the battle of good versus evil in the starkest terms; and part of me sees it as a film by a director who has created such masterpieces that it can't but be considered lesser by comparison. Of the four films Scott had directed to this point, it's certainly his worst, although by no means a bad film.

Firstly, one has to watch the director's cut. A list of the additions and extensions are included here (scroll down to the list near the bottom of the page), but needless to say it makes it a very different film to the theatrical cut. Not least is the soundtrack; Goldsmith's original, not the Tangerine Dreams score. A lot of significant scenes are extended, which gives the film a great deal more cohesion and makes everything fit much better. It is, I suspect, not dissimilar to the differences the director's cut creates in Kingdom of Heaven, although never having seen the theatrical cut of that film, I can't say for sure.

As one would expect in a Ridley Scott film (and something I'll mention less and less as it really is expected), the film looks beautiful. Tom Cruise is particularly good as Jack, revelling in an unobnoxious early role. Mia Sara (whatever happened to her?) looks splendid as Lily. The acting kudos really has to go to Tim Curry, unrecognisable in deep red make up, huge horns, and a mightily-enhanced voice, as Darkness, the epitome of evil. Perhaps my biggest bugbear of the film are the goblins, with their grating sing-song rhyming speech. (I was also distracted on this viewing that Gump looked uncannily like Malcolm, of Malcolm in the Middle, but that's not a fault of the film!) Visually, the main fault is the distinct lack of shots of the sky, or showing sky. I know we're in a forest for much of it, but not seeing any sky at all reinforces the fact that it is shot on a studio - and I rarely notice that sort of things in films.

All in all, Legend, I feel, is one of Scott's underrated mini-gems. It can't compete with behemoths like Blade Runner and Alien, nor is it trying to. It is telling an altogether smaller story, but one which is universally applicable. Of the gamut of 80s fantasy, Legend sits halfway between the eternal classics (that'd be The Princess Bride), and the stuff that nostalgia dictates I still love (stand up Krull). 

Summary
The acting is, with the exception of the three leads, the downside of the film. The magical creatures and goblins seems below standard, and pull attention away from the story. Speaking of which, I love the story. The idea of unicorns being sacred, of their death casting the world into an eternal winter (reminiscent of CS Lewis) where the land is ruled by a demonic tyrant is a retelling of the Fisher King myth. When the ruling order is restored, the world returns to life and warmth. The contrast between the two states is typically realised by Scott - yellows and greens, contrasting with blues and blacks. If people have only seen the theatrical cut, I highly recommend seeking out the director's cut (Ultimate Edition R1 has both versions) as it is a much fuller and successful film.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 34
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 28/1/2008 11:10:41 AM   
Kadaj

What a brilliantly honest, well backed-up and excellently presented review. I personally dislike the film, although you probably know I'm not the biggest fan of Mr Scott, but you made a very convincing argument to you reasons, and perhaps other people's reasons, for enjoying the film. Perhaps the best review you have done so far. Keep it up mate.

Post #: 35
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 28/1/2008 11:41:17 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Thanks! Legend marks the start of a trilogy of films that are distinctly 80s films for Scott. It's been a while since I saw the next two, so I'm looking forward to a fresh perspective on them. Out of interest, kadaj, what are the Scott films you rate?

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Kadaj)
Post #: 36
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 5:09:00 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

A fine review, Homer. You already know I dislike it, but I'm now more than willing to seek out a director's cut and give it another chance

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 37
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 12:13:36 PM   
Kadaj

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Thanks! Legend marks the start of a trilogy of films that are distinctly 80s films for Scott. It's been a while since I saw the next two, so I'm looking forward to a fresh perspective on them. Out of interest, kadaj, what are the Scott films you rate?

I would say the 'BIG THREE' really- Gladiator, Alien and Blade Runner. Oh and that reminds me, I think Matchstick Men is severly underrated. A brilliant film. People sometimes forget that there is real depth to most of the characters in Scott's films. General Maximus, Ripley, Deckard have all been secured to cinema's Hall of Fame, and there is no doubt they they enhance the film rather than just 'accompany' it. Actually after re-reading this I think I maybe a Ridley Scott fan! But to be honest, I would never really class him as a 'favourite'. In my opinion there are far better British directors, nevermind International Directors than Ridley Scott.............Like Paul W.S.Anderson..........Haha.

I'll admit I wasn't too keen on watching Blade Runner, but once I saw it, I was blown away. It's the original cut on a tatty old VHS I picked up from a carboot sale but it's an astonishing film. Yes, the narration is misjudged (and they seem to give up half-way I think) and we all know the issues surrounding the different cuts (thank you very much Empire for you numerous articles), but I must say it is unlike any other sci-fi film I have seen. My favourite sci-fi? Possibly.....although Alien may give it a run for its money Haha! (Although I prefer Aliens on a re-rewatch basis, a film that holds great memories and numerous reusuable quotes). Recently, I think Sunshine came close to matching the experience I had whilst watching Blade Runner. I superb film, although the ending slightly lets it down, and we all know who Mr Boyle was influenced by ...........

Sadly I have yet to pick up that Blade Runner Deluxev DVD Boxset, no doubt you have it .
The brilliant thing about Blade Runner I think, and what I see in the adoration from the films fans and devotees, is that everyone realises it's not a 'Perfect Film'. There are so many errors, continuity and problems with production, but it never ever detracts from the experience, unlike, shall we say Pirates of the Carribean. I look forward to the day you put it forward for the Hall of Fame, and rest easy knowing you'll secure my vote.

By the way can you give me any advice on whether I should watch American Gangster? I'm going to watch it anyway, but opinion have been very mixed. Critics have rather dismissed it but most of the people I know who went to see it loved it. It seems to combine Goodfellas with Heat, two films I love very much.

< Message edited by Kadaj -- 29/1/2008 12:14:43 PM >

Post #: 38
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 12:48:27 PM   
ElephantBoy

The big three are Alien, Bladerunner and Therma and Louise.   Really enjoying the reveiws though.  One thing you come to relise about Scott is his films do cover a wide range of subjects and do tend to devide people,  for me this is always a good thing.  Black Hawk Down being a prime example.

Legend doesn't quite do it for me.

(in reply to Kadaj)
Post #: 39
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 12:59:35 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Actually, you're both wrong  The big three are Alien, Blade Runner, and Kingdom of Heaven (DC), which just trumps Gladiator. Thelma and Louise is very near the top, tho.

American Gangster - personally, I thoroughly enjoyed it. As has been said, there is very little that can be done in an epic gangster film that hasn't already been done before. In an ironic way (since Sunshine takes inspiration from Alien) I suspect that it is much like Sunshine (although I have yet to see that film), in that it takes aspects of other well-known films of the genre, but out of them creates a self-sufficient, involving story. It doesn't touch the big three (or four, or five...!) but it's towards the upper end of his oeuvre. Of course, I'll say more when I get to it - hopefully someone will have bought me the 3-disc set for my birthday by the time I get to that film in *mumble mumble*!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 40
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 1:45:25 PM   
ElephantBoy

Really Kingdom of Heaven with Orlando Bland in, ok I'll have to take your word for that one   Still haven't seen American Gangster yet.

Post #: 41
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 2:01:43 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Aye, he's not that bad in it! Plus the rest of the cast more than make up for the supposed shortcomings Bloom may present.

Have you seen the DC, or just the theatrical cut? By all accounts, they're completely different films!

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 42
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 2:05:51 PM   
ElephantBoy

Neither actually which is why I asked the question.

Post #: 43
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 2:14:03 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Ah, fair dues. The director's cut is an absolute masterpiece. I'll say more in the review, but it's an almost flawless work, unlike what I heard of the TC. There's about 45 minutes extra in the DC, just to give an idea of how much the TC was butchered...!

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 44
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 2:23:35 PM   
shool

Great Review Homer.

I'm looking forward to the KOH directors cut review. I saw the TC and found it a little dissappointing.

There are also a few films of his I havent seen yet and am interested seeing the verdict.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 45
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 3:27:33 PM   
Mr E

The director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven is very good but does fall short of masterpiece status in my opinion, mainly because of Orlando Bloom in the lead role. He does an ok job but still it's annoying because they could have chosen someone much better.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 46
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 4:03:51 PM   
swordsandsandals

Loving these reviews. As you may know I think very highly of Scott, as Gladiator is the best film ever. No contest. Although Nottingham, if Scott does this well, will be incredible. I didn't read the Alien review as you thankfully warned me of spoilers, but I must admit that I am one of the only people I know who prefers Gladiator to Blade Runner, which was quite dull in places.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 47
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 7:17:52 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals
I didn't read the Alien review as you thankfully warned me of spoilers

Swords, and other Alien virgins (!), I've now edited the review and any spoilers are now in invisiotext, which need highlighting to be seen at all. You're safe to read the rest, free from worry of spoilerific discussion!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 48
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 9:03:26 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

Loving these reviews. As you may know I think very highly of Scott, as Gladiator is the best film ever. No contest. Although Nottingham, if Scott does this well, will be incredible. I didn't read the Alien review as you thankfully warned me of spoilers, but I must admit that I am one of the only people I know who prefers Gladiator to Blade Runner, which was quite dull in places.

Don't worry, I preferred Gladiator to Blade Runner too [although Thelma and Louise is probably my favourite Ridley Scott film]. I did like Blade Runner but couldn't really see what all the fuss was about. Mind you, that could possibly be cos I'd heard so much about it before that it couldn't live up to expectations.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 49
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 9:06:16 PM   
King_Bard

Im getting Bladerunner tomorrow so i will see if its all its made out to be...Its going to be tough for it to beat Alien and Gladiator but we will see...

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 50
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 29/1/2008 9:55:46 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I'm going to hazard a guess that, quite reasonably, on first viewing you might not like it. Expectation is a double-edged sword, and you'll go in thinking, 'how can it possibly live up to the hype?', and while I'd love to say 'because it will!', because I believe it is the greatest film ever (!), everyone's different, and I wouldn't want someone to watch it cynically thinking, 'hmm, where can I find the failings of this 'masterpiece'?' (not that I'm saying you will, but the thoight might be in the back of your head).
Even if you don't think it stands up to Gladiator or Alien (and believe me, Alien comes very close for me too), it'll only be your first viewing, against (I assume) multiple viewings of the other films. What I'm trying to say is, don't knock it if it 'aint all that' - it grows on you like a fine, rare truffle. I admit, when I first watched Blade Runner it didn't knock my socks off, but it has just grown in my estimation every time I watch it.
Just sit back, and watch a really, really fine film.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 51
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 30/1/2008 12:03:05 AM   
Kadaj

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Bard

Im getting Bladerunner tomorrow so i will see if its all its made out to be...Its going to be tough for it to beat Alien and Gladiator but we will see...

THE Big Three .

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 52
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 30/1/2008 9:26:40 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Wonder if King Bard has watched Blade Runner yet...

Incidentally, the Someone To Watch Over Me review is imminent

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Kadaj)
Post #: 53
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 30/1/2008 10:20:26 PM   
homersimpson_esq

05. Someone To Watch Over Me (1987)

If Legend had a lot to live up to, then Someone To Watch Over Me had a weight of expectation to bring Scott back to the dizzying heights of his first three films. Someone... marks Scott's first foray into contemporary cinema - his previous films being set in our past, our future, and an alternative universe - and one could argue this is where the film hits its first perceived stumbling block. Scott is a self-proclaimed master (and justifiably) of 'world building' - he creates a world inside out and puts the heart and soul of that world onscreen. So it is then, that with a contemporary film, the world is already created, and Scott has to illicit from that world aspects that fit in with his own style and technique.

Perhaps the most satisfactory way of viewing Someone... is to see it as a period piece as well. It is a film set in 1987 that happens to have been made in 1987. Those singular aspects that mark this film as 80s-set  - that music, that hair, and so forth - are specifically 80s, and almost intentionally pick out cultural signifiers to place this film within a social milieu. More importantly, and which backs up this argument, is that interwoved with the 80s genre staples are some shots of beauty, and some great musical choices - Opera, choral music, jazz, and in one significantly self-referential scene, part of Vangelis' score for Blade Runner (Memories of Green, on the OST) - to work as counterpoint to the 80s music and styles.

At its core, Someone... is a very average genre thriller. Happy (if slightly wet) family guy cop gets promoted. Beautiful socialite witnesses a business deal cum murder (the idea that spawned Sister Act a few years later) and has to protected by said cop. Relationships forged under stressful circumstances rarely work out (as Speed so blatantly tells us), but it doesn't stop them trying. This is the basis of the film, just as the more established horror genre is the core of Alien. What raises the film above average is the nuances in the film, and Scott's own inimitable style. Where one might expect the relationship to start with a passionate kiss, followed by a love scene (with the camera panning tastefully away for a 15 cert, or lingering for an 18), here the relationship develops as a mutual understanding, a sense of comfort and a real idea that there are feelings behind the eyes. It is not a loveless affair, but an unconsummated romance. That Berenger's Michael Keegan is torn between the love for, and of, two women makes it a trickier situation than one might think. This subtlety is under the whole film, and makes it that little bit better than average. Scott's lighting and framing make it a great little film. I think Scott is on record saying that he loves the Chrysler Building, and it certainly shows. Almost every cityscape shot has the building in frame. Of course, the cityscape on whch the film opens, and to which it returns time and time again, already conjures images of Scott's third film. Here, however, the effect is entirely different - peaceful, calm, serene, and with the titular song over the top in the first of three incarnations (Sting first, saxophone second, Roberta Flack over the end credits).

Summary
Mimi Rogers, looking fabulous, is fine as the initially aloof, but warming, determined, yet fragile socialite; Tom Berenger (I don't think I've seen him in anything else... not even seen Platoon!) is solid as the cop, torn between two women, and out of his depth; Lorraine Bracco gets in practice as the neglected housewife ready for her role in Goodfellas three years later (although, she more than holds her own here). Andreas Katsulas (G'kar in Babylon 5) is a great villain. Nevertheless, while this is a four star film, it doesn't come close to any of his previous films, bar Legend. It definitely doesn't work if you think of it as a contemporary thriller for today. However, see it as a period piece set in the 80s, and it works brilliantly. It is a film of the 80s, but has aged well, thanks to Scott's (and his cinematographer Steven Poster) consistently beautiful photography. It's no classic, but it's a great film that has stood the test of time.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 54
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 31/1/2008 5:07:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Another great review of a largely underrated film.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 55
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 31/1/2008 10:11:31 AM   
King_Bard

Well i got Bladerunner but was forced to go and see I am Legend yesterday ......I try and watch it today....

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 56
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 31/1/2008 2:35:03 PM   
shool

Never even heard of Someone to watch over me. To be honest it doesnt look like my sort of film anyway. Will give it a miss.

Thanks for another great review Homer

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 57
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 31/1/2008 3:52:18 PM   
ElephantBoy

Me either sounds like one to track down.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 58
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 5/2/2008 2:07:21 PM   
ElephantBoy

You know it has been awhile

Post #: 59
RE: The Complete Ridley Scott - 5/2/2008 2:14:22 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Aye, I've been busy prepping for an interview tomorrow. And seeing other films...  I might get Black Rain watched tomorrow night, but I wouldn't bet on it!

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: The Complete Ridley Scott Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI