Christopher Priest

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Christopher Priest Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Christopher Priest - 18/1/2008 1:20:33 PM   
Woger

Anyone read any of his stuff apart from The Prestige (vey clever story with an equally clever adaptation). On the back of the Prestige I got The Affirmation on Amazon. It's about a man who after losing his father, breaking up with his girlfriend and being made redundnat moves into a cottage in a country and starts writing his biography. It's a bit of a head bender. I also got The Seperation about twins who after winning a medal at the Berlin Olympics take two different paths when World War 2 breaks out, one becomes a pilot for bombers and the other takes the role of concensious objector and works for the Red Cross, it's another head bender.
Next I got The Glamour, it's about a camera man who ends up in hospital after an explosion and starts to try to piece together his memory with the help of his ex girl friend. There's a few twists which turns the story around and the ending baffled me.
Has anyone read any of these and more importantly can some one explain The Glamour to me?

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot
Post #: 1
RE: Christopher Priest - 28/2/2008 10:37:56 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

Anyone read any of his stuff apart from The Prestige (vey clever story with an equally clever adaptation). On the back of the Prestige I got The Affirmation on Amazon. It's about a man who after losing his father, breaking up with his girlfriend and being made redundnat moves into a cottage in a country and starts writing his biography. It's a bit of a head bender. I also got The Seperation about twins who after winning a medal at the Berlin Olympics take two different paths when World War 2 breaks out, one becomes a pilot for bombers and the other takes the role of concensious objector and works for the Red Cross, it's another head bender.
Next I got The Glamour, it's about a camera man who ends up in hospital after an explosion and starts to try to piece together his memory with the help of his ex girl friend. There's a few twists which turns the story around and the ending baffled me.
Has anyone read any of these and more importantly can some one explain The Glamour to me?

Read the ones you've mentioned apart from The Separation. Read The Affirmation years ago and absolutely loved it - Priest does tend to fry neurons with all the ambiguity! The Prestige was on my 'to read' list years before the film came out - I was amazed that Nolan did it, thinking that I was the only person who'd heard of it. The ending of The Glamour is baffling to me too - as far as I can work out most of the book is written by the invisible ex-boyfriend as a way of maintaining control after the breakdown of his relationship. It's up to the reader to decide how much of the events prior to the explosion happened - if they did at all.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 2
RE: Christopher Priest - 29/2/2008 12:55:49 PM   
Woger

Yeah, think that makes sense. What I like about the books are they are very narrative driven with no big climaxes to rely on. You should try The Seperation if you like the whole ambiguity thing, but it's actually frustrating and was expecting a better pay off.

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 3
RE: Christopher Priest - 29/2/2008 9:57:38 PM   
dh_19

quote:

Yeah, think that makes sense. What I like about the books are they are very narrative driven with no big climaxes to rely on. You should try The Seperation if you like the whole ambiguity thing, but it's actually frustrating and was expecting a better pay off.

The first half of The Separation i loved but i agree the ambiguity of the finale was frustrating. Pretty sure i 'got it' though. Haven't read any of his other books.

< Message edited by dh_19 -- 29/2/2008 9:58:21 PM >

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 4
RE: Christopher Priest - 1/3/2008 2:50:38 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: dh_19

quote:

The first half of The Separation i loved but i agree the ambiguity of the finale was frustrating. Pretty sure i 'got it' though. Haven't read any of his other books.

I'd recommend them, especially The Affirmation, still a head bender but more accessible than The Seperation and The Glamour.

- - -

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 5
RE: Christopher Priest - 2/3/2008 3:05:14 PM   
mike2005

Read The Space Machine years ago, combines the Time Machine with War Of The Worlds Of The Worlds, from what I remember it was pretty good.

I go to pieces so fast that people get hit by the shrapnel.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Christopher Priest Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI