Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Disappointing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Disappointing Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Disappointing - 1/2/2008 11:09:21 PM   
Frenchy25

I'm amazed at all the people who are trying to over-analyse the film and go on about how not running away is not believable etc.  Hellllooo .... it's a film about a monster attacking New York!!  Just leave the belief at the Cinema entrance and enjoy the film for what it is - an experience.  Just accept the story and run with it.  Trust me, you'll come out thinking it is an excellent piece of cinematography.  However, those who suffer from motion sickness beware!!  My wife doesn't, but she felt extremely queazy by the end of the film - probably was not helped by the fact she was watching from behind her hands!

Great film - a real workout for the senses, and how refreshing not to have the usual American "neatly packaged up" story.  This film leaves you to do the thinking - that's the way it should be ...
Post #: 151
Why do you people like this????? - 1/2/2008 11:32:21 PM   
Cloverfieldhater123

Im 15 and this was the worst film i have ever seen, the second worst being Thunderpants

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 152
Why do you people like this????? - 1/2/2008 11:32:24 PM   
Cloverfieldhater123

Im 15 and this was the worst film i have ever seen, the second worst being Thunderpants

Post #: 153
RE: Why do you people like this????? - 1/2/2008 11:50:41 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Shifty, i get the impression you thought beth was hot?

What gave you that idea?

She was though

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 1/2/2008 11:57:22 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)
Post #: 154
RE: Why do you people like this????? - 1/2/2008 11:52:58 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Aye!

(Btw, what's your sig from? )

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 155
RE: Why do you people like this????? - 1/2/2008 11:55:46 PM   
Shifty Bench

Haven't you asked me that before, mate? Someone did. It's from Buffy season 6 episode 1- Bargaining.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 156
oh. my. god. - 1/2/2008 11:56:08 PM   
jonny-w

im not saying this film is perfect, but it's an experience like no other and a thrill that I havne't felt watching a film in a looong time. People misinterpret it because it has no explanation and isn't formulaic or typically structured or whatever, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Just think about Mulholland Drive, compared to say Godzilla (US version). Which defied the expecatations of film? Which is better? I know that's a crazy example but it serves my point, film is an artform and there shouldn't be a set way a film should be done. It was designed as a thrill ride and 9/11 parallel.
Personally I didn't find a lack of substance either. During the party scene I actually forgot a monster was supposed to show up at one point.

Post #: 157
RE: oh. my. god. - 2/2/2008 12:53:25 AM   
firesidebenny

I saw this a few hours ago and I must say I thought it was the worst piece of crap I have seen in a very long time. All the characters were so busy looking beautiful that they ended up seeming completely gormless. The film was too loud and I feared for my ear-drums throughout the action sequences. The monster was ridiculous, and there were some ridiculous plot-holes. I don't usually come online to say this stuff, and I'm not being deliberately controversial, but I thought the whole thing was completely dire.

Four peshwari naans? That's insane!
Post #: 158
Awesome stuff. - 2/2/2008 12:55:01 AM   
VincentHanna

I was a bit worried that all the hype would spoil my enjoyment of this.
None of it made a difference.
After an obviously deliberate slow start gives way to something that starts running and doesn't stop until the very last few minutes.
Some of the characters were pretty annoying at times, but maybe that's the point.
I don't always agree with the Empire reviews, but this time they were spot on.
Fucking awesome cinema. I want to watch it again.

Post #: 159
RE: Why do you people like this????? - 2/2/2008 9:24:31 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Shifty, i get the impression you thought beth was hot? An opinion, might I had, with which I agree. (My wife's not looking... )

And to think that she was one of the small children in Kindergarten Cop.  It makes me feel even older.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 160
RE: oh. my. god. - 2/2/2008 9:32:50 AM   
jonny-w

um, on closer inspection my excitement may have slightly exaggerated my opinion. In fact I sound like an idiot. I still stand by my opinion though, just not how I described it there. What I was trying to say was in defense of people's criticisms that nothing was explained, hence I was trying to show how the best (only decent) parts of Godzilla were when no one knew what was going on.
By the way shawshank prisoner you I thought you were being sarcastic?...
Post #: 161
Now, that's Awesome - 2/2/2008 9:40:25 AM   
billkiller

I was totally freaked out by this film, it was such a rush - I even yelped on one occassion. I honestly agree with Empire on this one, Cloverfield is a masterpiece. The experience was the like the first time I went on Nemesis at Alton Towers. And that can't be a bad thing.
Blair Witch meets Godzilla. Now that's awesome.

Post #: 162
Great! - 2/2/2008 9:42:35 AM   
Kat113

As ever Empire describes it best:

"Cinematic pleasure at it's purest"

So true!

Post #: 163
Great! - 2/2/2008 9:42:38 AM   
Kat113

As ever Empire describes it best:

"Cinematic pleasure at it's purest"

So true!

Post #: 164
RE: Great! - 2/2/2008 12:12:31 PM   
kingalan

Saw it last night and thought it was great. Four star fodder rather than five though - losing the fifth for the fact that it didn't fully commit to the "realism". Every character looked like they belonged in a GAP advert, certain reactions didn't sit well (they just seemed to accept that this was a MONSTER... a thing of nightmares and unreality, that they'd never seen before. It was as if NY gets attacked by monsters all the time) and nobody swore. I mean, christ, given what was happening, you'd expect the odd "fuck" etc. It wasn't gritty and unpolished enough to feel as real as it should have (Blair Witch did this perfectly). A lot of ideas seemed to be nicked from other films aswell (rats running from the threat - 28 Days Later, Night Vision reveal of threat - The Descent).

All that was overshadowed by the sheer brilliance of the concept and the sustained fear and tension throughout (and it was genuinely piss-scary at times, just because you were in the throes of the mayhem rather than watching a juicy money-shot from a distance). The monster was pretty scary too but I'd agree we didn't need that final gratuitous look at it. I'd formed my own image of what it looked like and how it moved etc from the fleeting glimpses in the city.

In all, highly recommended.

Post #: 165
Cloverfield CRAP - 2/2/2008 12:20:33 PM   
RayLoose2204

Just watched this load of shit, i don`t know what you lot are on about, i thought it was complete rubbish, everyone talking about characters this and that,what tosh, i could make a better film than that crap, and dress a dog up in a costume as the so called monster. The effects were crap, what you could see of them, jerkiness of the camera is`nt cinemagraphic gold, its cinema at its worse another film ruined by hype, and all those donut`s going on the various website`s decoding clue`s, what div`s.As you may be aware i was very dissapointed and so was my son, poor,poor,poor. What a lot of old SHIT!

Post #: 166
RE: Cloverfield CRAP - 2/2/2008 1:00:13 PM   
Shifty Bench

Bye, then.

Post #: 167
RE: Cloverfield CRAP - 2/2/2008 1:05:55 PM   
RayLoose2204

Only having a laugh, i hav`nt replied before as i`m alway`s working, not too clued up on this computer lark, have to get my son`s to show me what to do most of the time! Anyway, sorry to be offensive, that was rude of me, i apologise, as for the film, it really was dire.Have a nice weekend

Call me Snake

Post #: 168
RE: Cloverfield CRAP - 2/2/2008 1:15:37 PM   
Shifty Bench

Not really a good start, mate. Apology accepted if it is genuine. And sorry if my initial question was out of line.

(in reply to RayLoose2204)
Post #: 169
RE: Cloverfield CRAP - 2/2/2008 1:33:22 PM   
Frank Castle

Well least we now dont need a thread next year for overated film of 2008 as we have a winner already!! Cloverfield
5 star film?? are we sure empire did u actually watch it? 3 star at most.
Was a good idea and the hype has built it up to be something real special but guys it really wasnt. Possably the most unrealistic film ever made? i know its about a monster(awful special effects ahoy! but not as bad i am legends!) attacking a city but  Wasn't it shot by a hand held camera to add realism? So why not have any?

Overall i did enjoy the film as it was something diffrent but if i never watch it again it would be no big loss. Worth watching once but Overated to the max!

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

Post #: 170
RE: Great! - 2/2/2008 2:06:18 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

Saw it last night and thought it was great. Four star fodder rather than five though - losing the fifth for the fact that it didn't fully commit to the "realism". Every character looked like they belonged in a GAP advert, certain reactions didn't sit well (they just seemed to accept that this was a MONSTER... a thing of nightmares and unreality, that they'd never seen before. It was as if NY gets attacked by monsters all the time) and nobody swore. I mean, christ, given what was happening, you'd expect the odd "fuck" etc. It wasn't gritty and unpolished enough to feel as real as it should have (Blair Witch did this perfectly). A lot of ideas seemed to be nicked from other films aswell (rats running from the threat - 28 Days Later, Night Vision reveal of threat - The Descent).

All that was overshadowed by the sheer brilliance of the concept and the sustained fear and tension throughout (and it was genuinely piss-scary at times, just because you were in the throes of the mayhem rather than watching a juicy money-shot from a distance). The monster was pretty scary too but I'd agree we didn't need that final gratuitous look at it. I'd formed my own image of what it looked like and how it moved etc from the fleeting glimpses in the city.

Spoilers Below!

After seeing the monster, what other reaction could they have? I thought it was a pretty realistic approach to the monster movie, and I completely agree with Timon. He loves her, he's just lost his brother, ofcourse he's going to go after her. I loved the little character moments that Hud manages to capture, especially Rob's phone conversation with his mum, or Marlenas "Don't you think I'm the type of person who would do that." We have to remember that, we're only getting a few hours on tape, and the characters are never going to fully developed, but they definitely felt like real people acting in a realistic way. I'm just shocked by the number of characters who died. This is a Hollywood movie after all, people hardly ever die. But it was an amazing experience, with some of the craziest stuff I've seen in years. The constant moving of the camera did get a bit annoying at times, but that was unavoidable. 4.5/5

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 171
Over hyped - 2/2/2008 2:18:17 PM   
Ace Rothstein

Cloverfield is certainly a new experience. It is at times truly exhilirating and occassionally quite scary. But their are deep flaws within the film. One of my main issues are the characters. They are rich americans in their 20's and aren't the slackes or relatable folk that you hope they would be. You just cannot wrm to them. Their is a lack of intelligle dialogue and you get the sense that Cloverfield cannot go beyond its brief running time. Overall, a highly effective film lacking a human touch and proper characters we can care about.

Post #: 172
RE: Great! - 2/2/2008 2:34:02 PM   
kingalan

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

Spoilers Below!

After seeing the monster, what other reaction could they have? I thought it was a pretty realistic approach to the monster movie, and I completely agree with Timon. He loves her, he's just lost his brother, ofcourse he's going to go after her. I loved the little character moments that Hud manages to capture, especially Rob's phone conversation with his mum, or Marlenas "Don't you think I'm the type of person who would do that." We have to remember that, we're only getting a few hours on tape, and the characters are never going to fully developed, but they definitely felt like real people acting in a realistic way. I'm just shocked by the number of characters who died. This is a Hollywood movie after all, people hardly ever die. But it was an amazing experience, with some of the craziest stuff I've seen in years. The constant moving of the camera did get a bit annoying at times, but that was unavoidable. 4.5/5

I just think if everyday folk encountered a giant monster rampaging through their city... that's a lot to accept. There would be stages (acknowledging that monsters actually exist would be the first), not just someone shouting "I saw it, it's alive" and a collective "oh right, well let's crack on with a plan". We don;t know how our brains and bodies would cope with such new and unreal circumstances. To say 'he loves her, he just lost his brother OF COURSE he's going to go after her' is a little presumptious. How do you know how anyone would react in such an out-there situation? That's my point. I just didn't buy their premature acceptance of the circumstances. Even Hud cracking gags while they're ambling through a dark railway tunnel... what?? People have died and are dying and there's a monster destroyin the city above!!

I'm not dissing the film though. I loved it. Just thought for something priding itself on realism etc, the only thing that seemed real was the shaky camera. Apart from that it was still a hollywood movie through and through. We were just watching it through a different lense.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 173
RE: Great! - 2/2/2008 3:10:55 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Simply just stunning

I wasn't sure about the camcorder approach at first, but I soon settled into it. Pure thrills from start to finish, I really don't think I've seen anything quite as thrilling and explosively intense in yonks, bold brilliant and has to be seen on the big screen.

4/5

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 174
RE: Great! - 2/2/2008 3:41:33 PM   
Neth

Cloverfield is like going on a rollercoaster at the funfair with the hottest girl in school, and halfway around you toss cookie and puke all over her. Afterwards she beats the living shit out of you with a claw-hammer, and her friends think you're a douche and call you names. As they stroll off leaving you in a blood, sick-smelling near-comatose heap, you think, "Well, fuck it. At least I got to ride the rollercoaster."

That's what Cloverfield is like. Only... better.

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 175
RE: Great! - 2/2/2008 3:59:04 PM   
DanCurley

I didn't like it because the lead character is better looking than me, his girlfriend is better looking than mine, he's got a better job and he's got a better flat. Therefore I can't relate to it.

5/5 - film of the year. I'm still shaving with adrenaline two hours after walking out of Marble Arch odeon...

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 176
RE: Great! - 2/2/2008 4:22:22 PM   
Mojo

Fantastic cinema experience, thats why I go to the movies. Kept me gripped to the screen all the way through, the video camera approach really paid of. Its kinda made me even more excited about Romero's Diary of the Dead (not that I needed to be more excted about a Romero zombie film) knowing thats film in a similar way, its a great way to really get the audience involved in the action and the drama. 

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 177
RE: Great! - 2/2/2008 4:30:28 PM   
Mojo

Ding Dong Double Post.

< Message edited by Mojo -- 2/2/2008 4:31:17 PM >

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 178
RE: Great! - 2/2/2008 4:37:31 PM   
kingoftheducks

Hype is a dangerous thing, hence the expected 'backlash' against Cloverfield which is an entertaining and different Hollywood monster movie.  It's by no means as 'edgy' and terrifying as it could have been, but it was produced within the studio system which is pretty darn impressive and Paramount should be applauded.

The plot holds no real surprises, it's somewhere between 'Godzilla' and 'The Poseidon Adventure', played out as if we were watching a tape found by the government.  So, it's a shaky and disorientating film with some really incredibly tense sequences and some quite sweet relationship stories, hampered slightly by occasionally ropey acting.

The sense of confusion and panic that director Matt Reeves creates is absolutely wonderful, and the teases and glimpses of what is attacking the city are perfectly staged.  However he does let the ball drop come the film's ending, showing far too much.  But, on the other hand he manages to craft some wonderfully exciting and nail-biting sequences, and really that's what this film is all about.  The warnings outside the cinema stated that due to the film's camerawork you may feel motion sickness, 'like riding a rollercoaster', and that's what this film is, a 'rollercoaster' a fews up and downs, sharp turns, the occasional thrilling loop and then it's over.

Personally though I thought Spielberg's 'War of the Worlds' was a far more terrifying and geuine post-9/11 invasion movie.

4/5

Read my Cinema Diary here:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/opinion/blogs/brighton_film_blogs/profile/34700/

Watch films I've made here:
http://www.youtube.com/kingoftheducks

Buy My Novel PSYWORM at www.firsttimepublishers.com PLEASE!

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 179
RE: Great! - 2/2/2008 4:52:21 PM   
dielo

quote:

PLEASE STOP PLANS FOR THE SEQUEL RIGHT NOW, PARAMOUNT!

^This.

This film isn't quite what the Empire review says it is, but it still provides a gripping hour of entertainment.

(in reply to kingoftheducks)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Disappointing Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI