Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

5 Stars?! Has Empire finally dumbed down?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> 5 Stars?! Has Empire finally dumbed down? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5 Stars?! Has Empire finally dumbed down? - 31/1/2008 11:33:02 AM   
iamthesundancekid

This is the equivalent of having someone you are not to keen on primal scream in your face for an hour whilst listening to Aphex Twin at full volume during a firework explosion. Visually and technically great but a footnote in film history. That this scores the same as No Country For Old Men is pretty shameful. And yes, great films do need dialogue, characters and plot...Can't wait for Olly Richards 5 star review of "Meet The Spartans"

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 121
RE: 5 Stars?! Has Empire finally dumbed down? - 31/1/2008 9:19:07 PM   
Jasper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazdance

When will people stop comparing the star ratings of one film against the other?  It's pointless.  Stupid people.

Indeed, but five stars for Cloverfield... are you guys insane? So you're saying it's as good as Independence Day?

"Some people will offer you their hand and some won't

Last night I knew ya, tonight I don't

I need something strong, to distract my mind

I'm gonna look at you, till my eyes go blind"
Post #: 122
RE: 5 Stars?! Has Empire finally dumbed down? - 31/1/2008 9:32:27 PM   
hawkeye10

I...I...I don't care.

People are still starving and wars are still raging. Five stars. This is the dawn of apocolypse.

< Message edited by hawkeye10 -- 31/1/2008 9:33:18 PM >

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

(in reply to Jasper)
Post #: 123
RE: Cloverfield - 1/2/2008 11:44:31 AM   
Evil.Groovy.Ash

Wanted to like it but just seen it and it sadly a case of don't believe the hype. yes it's good, but only good. just remember that feeling when you watched 'Blair Witch' and thought is that it, yeah that's it. when the action is going it's good, when it's not it's slow and boring. do you wanna see other people's camcorder moments. oh and it's cheesy and the CGI's ropey.

last five films watched:

Bridemaids 2/5
Transformers 3 3/5
Green Lantern 1/5
X-Men First Class 3/5
Hangover 2 1/5

Post #: 124
RE: 5 Stars?! Has Empire finally dumbed down? - 1/2/2008 12:39:03 PM   
darthjim

Hello I think it should have five stars no wait maybe four stars also you're all idiots if you think this deserves one more star than I say after all scores in magazines are the be all and end all and if a film gets five stars it means it's the best thing ever and even Jesus says it's awesome and everyone knows that four star films suck cock like your momma and where was I again?

For the record, peeps, arguing about whether a film deserved four or five stars ('cos, like, four star films are always so rubbish, innit, and five star films are always a billionty-five times better) is really, truly, hideously, head-bashingly retarded.

You know, for the record.

www.the-scoremagazine.com
Post #: 125
RE: Cloverfield - 1/2/2008 2:35:51 PM   
Lightfoot

quote:

There will undoubtedly be those who donít enjoy it, and some will have probably decided on that before seeing a frame.

No doubt, but there will also be those who have firmly decided that it will be the best movie of the year before seeing a frame, a la Serenity fanbois.

I suspect my reaction will be much the same as that film: going in highly sceptical, coming out pleasantly surprised after an enjoyable but forgettable film.

(in reply to Evil.Groovy.Ash)
Post #: 126
Fantastic Film - 1/2/2008 3:44:55 PM   
Taggart

Having just seen the film - something which the people who have posted REALLY SHOULD DO FIRST - I totally agree with Olly's review, it blends the best of Blair Witch and Monster movies to make it seem fresh and exciting. The camerawork actually ADDS realism, as Olly pointed out, not detracts from it, just as Blair Witch and Bourne does. The posts about how the concept is stupid and 'they would run away' is utterly ridiculous, clearly those people need to learn how to suspend disbelief and learn how to actually ENGAGE with a film instead of being passive. But as Olly said, it's a sensory experience and a chilling and exhilarating one at that, and for one will be recommending this to people.

Post #: 127
PROPAGANDA ( 0 STARS) - 1/2/2008 4:15:07 PM   
bobbyperu

the fact that people are waking up to the fact that 911 was an inside job (no im not a conspiracy therist) and they are at this mommemt having there civil libaties removed. this is a shamefull film. Dont think it couldnt happen hear.( It already is.) CONDITION THERE MINDS

Post #: 128
INCREDIBLE! - 1/2/2008 4:25:13 PM   
one martian

well as mentioned before, the people giving this film a low score without having seen it really need to watch it first, its pretty sad to bash a film without seeing it. anyway, that aside, this film was awesome. it is without a doubt one of the best 'experiences' i've had at the cinema in ages. it just grabs you and throws you right into the middle of the action and it doesn't let up. if you see 1 film this year at the cinema, make it cloverfield.

Post #: 129
Cloverfield - 1/2/2008 4:30:47 PM   
Foofighter1966

Only caught up with the hype about the film over the last couple of weeks but have just been to see IT today. I was expecting something in the Godzilla vein but no this was indeed something else.All the more scary for not seeing the creature albeit in dribs and drabs just knowing it's there is a enough to do the trick.The overall feel and mood of the film made for compulsive viewing.I absolutely loved it and will no doubt go and see it again at the flix (the only place to see it!)

Post #: 130
5 stars? bullshit - 1/2/2008 5:00:54 PM   
mikeyone

maybe i watched a different film but i found it HIGHLY derivative (has anyone at Empire seen The Host / REC / Blair Witch and most importantly Miracle Mile?

Don't get me wrong, Cloverfield is a great idea. Just one that does not pay off as much as it thinks it does.

on the up side -excellent effects, good leading actor and a nice story that does not feel the need to explain anything to the audience.

down side - a terrible group of leading ladies, a hugely flawed idea (if it is all filmed on video as it happens, how come the film is edited as you watch?) and worst of all - a truly fucking annoying best fiend / cameraman who deserves to die the second he is on screen.

add to this stupid plot devices - lets climb down a building as new york is being destroyed, lets go back into the city, lets go in the exact opposite direction that a normal person would do and you have a good film, not a great one and most certainly NOT a classic.

Post #: 131
d - 1/2/2008 5:04:33 PM   
mikeyone

double post in error

< Message edited by mikeyone -- 1/2/2008 5:06:23 PM >

Post #: 132
- 1/2/2008 5:40:32 PM   
d12w2002

Just got back from seeing this, fantastic experience. Completely agree with Empires review, i think it definately lives up to the hype.

Post #: 133
RE: RE: - 1/2/2008 6:05:04 PM   
benmharper

Saw it this af and thought it was brilliant. Agreed with Empire review wholeheartedly. One thing, I waited til the end of the credits (with about 15 others) for the two words in the static clip, and couldn't make out a word. Anyone know what was said?

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.
Post #: 134
- 1/2/2008 6:33:34 PM   
David G

If your bored of the same old monster movie with lots of explosions and already CGI then reset your eyes for the longest camcorder film that will give You Tube a wake up call, this is the most innovative disaster movie in years, an entire nights event of screams, gunfire and upclose fright from the beast gives out the tense atmosphere. The acting is standard but its just normal people partying until the unexpected happens and the monster is frightningly realsistic, none of that fake looking cgi thank god, so forget You've been framed, watch this instead.

Post #: 135
Cloverhyped - 1/2/2008 6:37:34 PM   
Shifty Bench

THERE BE SPOILERS

Saw this today and while I enjoyed it and thought Beth was hot, I'm not sure the film deserves 5 stars. There are some great moments- the tunnel scene was freaky even before the monster attack- but I really didn't like any of the characters.Although, I thought Beth was hot.  Plus, the monster looked cool untill you see the whole thing, they should have kept it with fleeting glances, that last shot of it where you see it standing over the camera looked pretty poor and ruined the mystery. The film would have been just as good if not better if they didn't have that shot. Must say, loved the exploding death, but what was the point of it? I know its great that we don't get an explanation of where the monster(s) came from but she exploded from a bite for crying out loud! An explanation to that would have been nice. If they go ahead with the sequel to Cloverfield, it would lessen it, there is no real way they could do one without doing the same film from a different POV. We don't need to see what happens after the events, we don't really need to see if Rob and Beth (who I thought was hot) lived or died but that is probably what will happen.

4/5. Ok, not a great deal off 5 but I don't think it's a masterpiece of modern cinema. It's close but most of the characters, some poor acting (Hud's constant 'oh my god' and 'Rob' sounded like someone improvising but not being able to think of anything to say) and that bloody shot of the monster, takes a point off it for me. Oh, and did I mention I thought Beth was hot?   By the way, ignore the fact I titled this post 'Cloverhyped', my mate who has no interest in it, called it that just before I went into the cinema and thought it was funny.

Can anybody tell me what is said after the credits? It says in Empire mag to listen out for something but I had a bus to catch.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 1/2/2008 7:16:03 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)
Post #: 136
RE: RE: - 1/2/2008 6:39:23 PM   
The REAL Bozz

It say's "Help us" which when back tracked or played backwards goes...."It's still alive" Don't know who say's it though as the young lovers seemed to be shit outa luck in the end.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 137
RE: RE: - 1/2/2008 6:43:15 PM   
Shifty Bench

Thanks.

SPOILERS*****************

Interesting, It sounds like Rob, listened to it on another site.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 1/2/2008 6:46:46 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 138
- 1/2/2008 7:00:47 PM   
willchadwick

A film better suited to DVD.

Post #: 139
RE: RE: - 1/2/2008 7:02:02 PM   
Deviation

I thought it was fucking AMAZING. I will say more on it when I start a thread for this in Favourite Films.

The only downside in my opinion was the characters, which I had no sympathy for. Still a great film though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 140
RE: RE: - 1/2/2008 7:17:52 PM   
Chris66

I just saw Cloverfield today and I thought it was really good. I am looking foward to the sequel. 

"We just wanted to say we're a big fan of your work. When it comes to killing Nazis... I think you show great talent. And I pride myself on having an eye for that kind of talent. Your status as a Nazi killer is... still amateur. We all come here to see if you wanna go pro... '"

Post #: 141
RE: RE: - 1/2/2008 8:38:20 PM   
pete c

Just got back and i must admit i enjoyed it,yeah the characters looked like they came out of a Gap advert but all in all it was good fun.

(in reply to Chris66)
Post #: 142
RE: RE: - 1/2/2008 9:05:47 PM   
thedrin

Cloverfield: *****

Badfaht's review is probably a more concise version of what I have to say:

quote:

Badfaht:
No other film has impacted me in such a way. Sure I've been blown away by excellent films in the past but this was a different experience. It was not just watching a movie, a piece of artistic media. It was like watching a real event from ground zero (eek!). I've come out of cinemas feeling indestructible at times. The feeling you get after some really good escapism. But I came out of this film feeling shellshocked. Like I'd be placed in a dark box and shaken violently. Very effective piece of work. Great experience. Thank God for original cinema!

NO SPOILERS

This film caught my imagination ever since I first saw the trailer. But as soon as I realised the hype surrounding it I decided to avoid the guerilla marketing and try to go into the film blind; knowing as little as possible about it. Before today my exposure to this film was limited to seeing both trailers and reading Empire's review (because I couldn't resist once I saw the star rating).

An incredible cinematic experience.

While much of the media coverage (and conversations that I had) during the days after 9/11 dealt with questions of who and why, on the day itself everything centred simply on the fact that something was happening - shocking and unexpected - and we watched the news not knowing what else would happen next but fearing it. Questions were raised but we were too distracted by the latest incoming bulletins to be able to put answers together. On the day it was still a mystery.

And that is what Cloverfield recreates. What is the monsters? Why is it in New York? And what are the dangers that it brings? All important questions that those in its path must ask. But the answers are only for survivors. This film is simply concerned with the fact that there is a monster, that it is in New York, and that it is deadly, and that people are trying to survive.

Many (though not all) of the negative reviews in this thread from people who have seen the film and are dissapointed that it leaves a lot of questions unanswered. If you want a neatly wrapped package wait for the (planned, unfortunately) sequel. This film is a different beast altogether.

The cast is fine and the characters are believable. The dialogue is repetitive but it never feels out of place. Like Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later, the production has set out to create something that feels unsanitised - that feels like the real world. And it makes the experience all the more terrifying.

The 9/11 comparison isn't just a paper thin veneer. This is one of the most shocking films I've seen in the cinema and, 7 and a half hours after exiting the theatre, I still feel very distressed.

If I have one complaint it's that, by the end, the monster is no longer only caught in brief glimpses. I can't complain about some of the longer, more revealing shots of it, but there are so many it serves no purpose other than to show off the design teams' handiwork.

< Message edited by thedrin -- 1/2/2008 9:16:35 PM >

(in reply to Chris66)
Post #: 143
RE: RE: - 1/2/2008 9:26:21 PM   
mackey

Just back from seeing this.  It was certainly exhilarating in parts but it was highly derivative of countless films that have gone before.  The characters were pretty much stock types you find in similar films and it all ended up being a bit like Godzilla.........only good.  It's by no means a bad film and a must for the big screen experience but I was just left feeling like I'd seen it all before.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 144
- 1/2/2008 9:31:23 PM   
CameronJames

An unfortunate victim of hype. If not of it's own doing, by all the buzz created by outside forces, it's a shame really, it's great but never really hits it's stride.

Post #: 145
- 1/2/2008 9:31:50 PM   
cluesy

Absolutely brilliant. I've never been to a film where everybody afterwards just wants to talk and talk about it. The whole set up was extremely well executed and was tense and frighteneing the whole way through. This was helped along by some very good acting and lots of mystery and truly is a must-see film, though not for the faint of heart.

Post #: 146
RE: Cloverfield - 1/2/2008 9:42:31 PM   
dracovir

After almost a year of hype, an amazing publicity campaign, and strong word of mouth it was almost impossible not to go in without some form of expectation.  I usually avoid this before watching an anticipated film, but I too had high expectations.  And I was terrified it would be crap.

Saw it today finally and as the credits rolled at the end, neither myself or me brothers could say anything.  No words.  Only 'WOW'.  I had avoided the Empire review for the aforementioned reason of wanting to avoid the hype as much as possible, and now I can safely say that I agree with it 100%, and then some.  It took us over an hour before we could discuss the film, once the adrenaline and shock had worn off enough to do so.  I felt like I had after my first roller-coaster ride (Nemesis at Alton Towers, if you must know).

It is different, it takes the genre and crafts something new.  Stereotype or no, if you are of the mind that enjoys this kind of film you end up caring for the characters - despite the lack of character development - and the sense of urgency, or realism is tanglible.  An awesome cinematic experience that (for me) was even better than watching Star Wars for the first time on the big screen.

I give it 5 stars - but only because the rating only goes up to 5 and I can't give it any more.

=====

Some thoughts on what I've read in this thread:

Small screen vs Big screen - Piracy is stealing, stealing is a CRIME, stoppit you 'tards you are trying to kill the industry you are leeching off idiots!  I think this film would only lose anything on DVD or whatever if you don't have the sound system to do it justice - the sound design of the film is possibly the best I've ever come across. A good beefy sub-woofer or boom box, surround sound et al - this will rock your world.

'You would just run, not stand and film' - Well, as has been stated already by Kilo, there are civilian vids all over the internet of big events, disasters and the like.  Some folk run, others have a camera and film it.  Until a monster comes heading your way, knocking down buildings etc, and you happen to have a camera on you at the time, how the hell do you know how you will react?  You can guess at what you'd do, whether bravado or cowardice or anything in between, but if panic sets in, crowd dynamics, knowledge of escapability, or rationality of simple thought all play a part, there is no way you can make any kind of statement like this with any grounding whatsoever unless you ahve been in such a situation yourself.  Besides, as Ollie pointed out, if Hud had just dropped the camera and ran, there WOULD BE NO MOVIE.  And we would miss out on such a gem.

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to Lightfoot)
Post #: 147
Masterpiece - 1/2/2008 9:45:15 PM   
PsychoPriest

Everything Empire said is true. Every last word. When the credits started rolling there was absolute silence in the cinema and I knew I'd seen something special. Unbelievable film and the best since LOTR Two Towers. Nothing even comes close.

Post #: 148
Disappointing - 1/2/2008 9:51:50 PM   
dominicdelaware

Just back. Thought it looked amazing but that's about it. Their was no substance. I'm not annoyed that there was no explanation or resolution, life's like that and that was a realistic facet of the film considering the characters' plights. But seriously, it was so dull and the characters were not 'archetypes' or even stereotypes. I can't think of anything good about it apart from how it looked.

Post #: 149
Brilliant but. . . . - 1/2/2008 10:25:30 PM   
danthefilmbuff1991

I just felt something of a lack of substance. I no we were supposed to feel as in the dark and ignorant as the characters etc but i just felt a bit like 'Oh . . . ok then its over'
Still a quality film but just something about it thats nagging at my senses telling me to not give it 5 stars

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> 5 Stars?! Has Empire finally dumbed down? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI