Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Cloverfield

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Cloverfield Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cloverfield - 21/1/2008 1:20:51 PM   
Thed0ct0r

I was one of the millions amd millions world wide anticipating this film, getting ivolved with all the viral campaigns, going onto harry Knowles website reading snippet after snippet of information about what was billed as one of the best of its genre ever, and sadyly nothing could have been further more from the truth, or disappointing maybe that SuperTeds magic word was actually A,B,C.

We had been promised that this film was original like nothing you had seen before but **SPOILER** the film begns and ends the same way as Blair Witch.

Im a big mark for a storyline, i love whn i can feel for the main guy or the little kid with an ice cram that gets dropped, but this film lacked it, instead of getting the dish on why where and when about the Monster we get the goss on Rob leaving for Japan.....surely the biggest Monster Movie of all time should focus on the selling point....THE MONSTER.

Now this is just my opinion before all you fanboys...and girls start jumping down my throat.

Maybe I could have not taken the film how JJ would like me to perceive it but hell if we all did that the world would be a crappy place. But i will go and see the film again to make sure im not being unfair or unjust.

The film wasnt all bad kudos go to the SFX guys, explosions and the 'monster' itself were worth the entry price.

I feel im being generous with the 3 starts i wanted to give it 2 and a half, but being nice i rounded it to 3.

again, this is just my opinion, some of you out there will call me a looney and claim ill have no idea, which on certain things i dont, Go see Cloverfield, and then write your own reply.

if you want to hurl abuse at me please do it on a public forum such as Facebook, there i can take it with a pinch of salt.

Gareth Barlow

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 91
- 21/1/2008 1:32:28 PM   
CHUFFSTER

Ha!Ha!Ha!What a con-if you pay to see this steaming pile of sh*t,more fool you.Just make your own by spinning your video camera round for 84 mins,then adding sound effects....you'll get the same headache and vomit inducing effect and won't have to pu...(read more)t up with idiotic Americans"acting"...
disregarding the same old Blair Witch crap that would have us believe that in the event of being scared sh*tless,you would still insist on running whilst having you field of vision blocked by a video camera viewfinder,we're also led to believe that people would loot in the midst of a big f***king monster destroying everything around you??

Post #: 92
RE: RE: - 21/1/2008 6:02:19 PM   
Rumble Jack

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

The monster... is just a massive George Bush giant! That's the twist, you can all thank me later.

Who needs love when you're doing it up the bum?
Post #: 93
RE: RE: - 21/1/2008 8:13:00 PM   
C3

quote:

ORIGINAL: raclements

Gotta say I'm suprised, but plesantly so, at this getting 5 stars.

My only beef (if you could call it that) is the painfully short running time.
I live an 90 minutes drive from the nearest cinema. That's a lot of fuel to get there, then the guts of £20 for the tickets- and frankly, while I really REALLY want to see this movie- I'm not spending that and travel that distance for a movie that's on for less time than it took me to get there!

Seriously, you're lucky its only 90 minutes...thats 90 minutes you could have been doing something constructive..like watching paint dry...It was just awful
Post #: 94
Very Much Enjoyed - 21/1/2008 8:16:54 PM   
lulu karma

As said in the review, this film is entirely based on mystery. Where does the monster come from? Why is it here now? What does it want? What happened after the camera stopped rolling film? None of this is tied up in a nice tidy way. It skipped out on the "formula" that often bores me to tears. 1. Have a big monster. 2. Have scared people running for safety. 3. Have someone, preferably an underdog, save the day. 4. Guy gets girl, everyone stands in a sunlit fade out at the end looking tattered and worn but thankful to be alive. What makes Cloverfield work is that it skipped by all of that. I agree that if they make a sequel, they will have stars taken back from the review. Definitely!

Post #: 95
Just awesome!!! - 22/1/2008 8:11:25 AM   
Ria

I'm one of the few I guess who haven't followed all the hype - I knew nothing about it (except there was lots of hype) before I saw it & I thought it was awesome!

Please god let it not be a sequel - it just won't work, the ending was brilliant!

Post #: 96
RE: RE: - 22/1/2008 8:32:20 AM   
Dragar 11(New Birth)

quote:

ORIGINAL: C3

quote:

ORIGINAL: raclements

Gotta say I'm suprised, but plesantly so, at this getting 5 stars.

My only beef (if you could call it that) is the painfully short running time.
I live an 90 minutes drive from the nearest cinema. That's a lot of fuel to get there, then the guts of £20 for the tickets- and frankly, while I really REALLY want to see this movie- I'm not spending that and travel that distance for a movie that's on for less time than it took me to get there!

Seriously, you're lucky its only 90 minutes...thats 90 minutes you could have been doing something constructive..like watching paint dry...It was just awful

90 mins surely that's taking the piss. They seriously want to make people pay £9.00 plus for that.

(in reply to C3)
Post #: 97
RE: Very Much Enjoyed - 22/1/2008 10:41:36 AM   
Fit Kisto

quote:

ORIGINAL: CHUFFSTER

The mystery is how a small video camera survives everything.....

And why the military are interested in 15 minutes of some guy's party?

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?
Post #: 98
RE: Very Much Enjoyed - 22/1/2008 12:42:51 PM   
kasm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fit Kisto

quote:

ORIGINAL: CHUFFSTER

The mystery is how a small video camera survives everything.....

And why the military are interested in 15 minutes of some guy's party?

All work and no play makes Jack a "friendly-fire"  risk.

I do pointless -good

(in reply to Fit Kisto)
Post #: 99
Let's all get carried away! - 23/1/2008 8:34:34 AM   
Natchismo

"...anyone with a phone line and keyboard has been trying to piece together this mystery" It's so cute you think everyone else is as desperate as you!

Post #: 100
Let's all get carried away! - 23/1/2008 8:34:37 AM   
Natchismo

"...anyone with a phone line and keyboard has been trying to piece together this mystery" It's so cute you think everyone else is as desperate as you!

Post #: 101
RE: Let's all get carried away! - 23/1/2008 11:53:56 PM   
Larry of Arabia

What's this complaining about the running time? Would a three hour piece of garbage be preferrable to an hour-and-a-half piece of garbage because it's value for money? Not that Cloverfield is garbage, but it's quality, not quantity.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

Post #: 102
RE: Let's all get carried away! - 24/1/2008 1:42:02 AM   
misternuge

just saw it, i was mightily impressed. for the record, its only 70mins long, not 90, which is shorter than even most kids films. but i dont base my judgement of films on the running time...

gave no clues as to the reason for the title, in a typically jj abrams sort of way the film finished leaving me with more questions than answers. indeed for all the considerable hype and marketing i was surprised at how little details of the monster were given. as one reviewer put it, most of the dialogue consisted of 'oh my god! oh my god!'

but then i think that was the result of the way it was filmed. i loved the way we only got the perspective of an average joe, rather than from a renegade soldier's perspective. one of the best sequences showed the military pummeling the monster and tanks rolling past giving a real sense of of being in the thick of things. unlike other films it was a small part of a big picture, rather than showing you all angles of the big picture. its the film war of the worlds wanted to be.

theres still a fair few easily recognisable cliches thrown in - the hero irrationally moves towards rather than away from the danger in order to rescue his missus, which reminded me of an old jack dee joke: you see these films where teenagers go into haunted house and a voice from somewhere goes 'GET OOOUUUT' and the teenagers go 'lets go have a look in the cellar, shall we?' theres also time for the occasional corny line (i wasnt impressed with that 'whatever it is, its winning' line) and the camera holder is irritating. so im not sure it quite deserves 5 stars. but i agree that as a purely sensory thrill ride, its pretty incomparable as recent films go, and the innovative filming keeps an amazing level of suspense. recommended

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 103
- 26/1/2008 2:09:10 AM   
minotaur3004

very good, im not giving this 5 stars because the way the actors acted was a bit too american for me.

Post #: 104
Shellshocked! - 26/1/2008 7:54:37 AM   
badfaht

No other film has impacted me in such a way. Sure I've been blown away by excellent films in the past but this was a different experience. It was not just watching a movie, a piece of artistic media. It was like watching a real event from ground zero (eek!). I've come out of cinemas feeling indestructible at times. The feeling you get after some really good escapism. But I came out of this film feeling shellshocked. Like I'd be placed in a dark box and shaken violently. Very effective piece of work. Great experience. Thank God for original cinema!

Post #: 105
RE: Cloverfield - 27/1/2008 6:01:47 PM   
Celluloid Seduction

HUGE SPOILERS - BEWARE!

For the YouTube generation this movie is a huge big deal, worth a million stars, not to mention dollars…For me it was, for the most part, a pretty mediocre piece of clichéd sci-fi faux-horror… with really annoying camera work. Any reviewer giving this piece of celluloid anything upward of 3 stars has …seriously… not watched enough movies!

It's a new take on an old genre, that of the monster movie, a sort of mutated Godzilla (if that's possible) A handful of party revelers are trying to keep their heads while all around are  losing theirs, literally, as something nasty takes a bite out of the Big Apple. That's it. This review has more dialogue than the entire script. If its intellectual content and deep characterizations you're looking for, well steer clear…you're better off watching 'Knocked-up!'

But I digress; this is Cloverfield after all, an apparent cinema giant of hype and clever marketing, a fully-fledged piece of cinema history unfolding before our very eyes – apparently. Well, if you can handle the shaky dizzying visuals, and sharp cuts, then you're already half way to liking this …umm… cheap pretender.

The gimmick is the premise. What we are seeing is something recorded on a hand-held camera by a dopey Hud Platt (J.T. Miller), friend of Rob Hawkins (Michael Stahl-David). A Camera, which at the start of the movie, is being used to film Rob and his girlfriend Beth McIntyre (Odette Yustman). Subsequently used to video Rob's going-away party on the fateful night as all hell brakes loose. The kind of thing you usually find on the Internet, right?

This takes us to scenes of carnage, the Statue of Liberty's decapitated head adorning a trendy Manhattan sidewalk, and eerie dust filled shots, reminiscent of a 9/11 New York City in the morning…Our chief players, including Rob's friend Lily Ford (Jessica Lucas) are totally out of their minds…running in the wrong direction!

The US army moves in, and through the ensuing pandemonium, Rob searches the shelves in a looted electrical shop for a cell phone battery. Suddenly, all stop dead in their tracks to gaze at the TV screens. A news flash reveals the horror that's just around the next block, as we see some rather nasty creatures taking on a woefully unprepared military. Doesn't this sound familiar?

Just about everything in Cloverfield you've probably seen elsewhere, including one of the most predictable scenes in contemporary cinema. By now, everyone knows that you don't go down, into the subway system while the city has no power …and there happens to be a menacing deadly force on the loose somewhere above, right?

Why aren't you scared? ….For Godzilla's sake…because you've already seen "28 Weeks Later”, and a dozen others, and you just don't do it again, you don't! Ironically, this particular scene has the best dialog of the whole picture. Laughs are intentional…which are sorely needed, as it just gets worse from here.

What Cloverfield lacks is, in part, made up for in some interesting, if slightly low-budget visuals. The cityscapes are pretty good…the fleeting glimpses of 'something' between the skyscrapers, and the military onslaught being watched from a safe distance…most of the time.

The influence of JJ Abrams, producer of TVs 'Lost' series, has given us a cinematic thrill-ride, with seat-of-your-pants adrenaline pumped scenes of fear and dread. At least I am assuming that was the intention! I'm hoping this was not some metaphor about the loss of freedom, and how the war on terror has invaded the hearts and minds of us all?

But why is everyone saying this is 'Awesome'? Why aren't people telling it as they see it? "Aliens” was awesome, so was "The Matrix”, but not this. Awesome is not the word I choose. Mine has four letters and can't be repeated. Watch Cloverfield at your peril!

Edited: for extra commas!!!

< Message edited by Celluloid Seduction -- 29/1/2008 2:30:42 PM >

"...guys, what if the film isn't any good?"

http://www.CelluloidSeduction.blogspot.com

Post #: 106
RE: Cloverfield - 27/1/2008 6:12:12 PM   
Mr Terrific

Not bad.

Its sheer spectacle really, just a disaster movie seen from a different angle.
If you take it like that you will enjoy it. Its fairly short so does'nt outstay its welcome.

SPOILERS

Some people may find the characters irritating, especially in the party before the crap hits the fan. But they do act in a quasi-realistic manner, that more than anything serves the progression of the story.

I did'nt find them irritating really, Hud was a standout character. They were sterotypes really, not suprising as its a disaster movie.

Oh and I liked the design of the monster. You do get a good view of it.

People are being overly harsh or over praise it. I think its a Marmite film, you like it or you hate it. No inbetween.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to Celluloid Seduction)
Post #: 107
Spot on Empire! - 28/1/2008 10:17:10 AM   
distortEd

Yes, the story isn't new, but it's the approach which makes this into something special! I have to say that when all the running and screaming started the shaky camera made me a bit dizzy, but I got used to that after a couple of minutes. The camera does put you right smack in the middle of the action and put me on the tip of my seat. It left me there untill the credits rolled. Shame they announced a sequel though, this should be a standalone film.
And yes, I'm giving this 5 stars. To some this might be a sign that I have not seen enough movies, but seeing as Mr. Olly Richards made it into the Empire office seeing so few movies I feel I'm in good company...

Post #: 108
What a shock - 28/1/2008 12:29:30 PM   
Severen

This was always destined for the 5 star treatment when you consider that Empire staff and readers have been wanking off about it for months.

Post #: 109
RE: What a shock - 29/1/2008 1:27:33 AM   
Jasper

It's odd that for a supposedly amazing film, the second weekend drop-off ranks somewhere between Basic Instinct 2 and Eragon.

"Some people will offer you their hand and some won't

Last night I knew ya, tonight I don't

I need something strong, to distract my mind

I'm gonna look at you, till my eyes go blind"
Post #: 110
RE: What a shock - 29/1/2008 10:51:25 AM   
Shifty Bench

That's because Americans prefer stupid crap like Meet The Spartans.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Jasper)
Post #: 111
RE: What a shock - 29/1/2008 2:17:41 PM   
Celluloid Seduction

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasper

It's odd that for a supposedly amazing film, the second weekend drop-off ranks somewhere between Basic Instinct 2 and Eragon.

Yeah Jasper - I am waiting to hear someone actually give an honest view of what they saw....I cannot believe that Empire are now touting this as their Movie of the Week..... Personally I think this film just doesn't deserve such a rating....kids were coming out of this movie really bored, a few older people were laughing and commenting pretty loudly 'Was that all?'....Granted, this is just the opinion of one audience, in one screening... but word of mouth has power.

(in reply to Jasper)
Post #: 112
RE: What a shock - 29/1/2008 9:43:15 PM   
wildphantom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Celluloid Seduction

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasper

Yeah Jasper - I am waiting to hear someone actually give an honest view of what they saw....I cannot believe that Empire are now touting this as their Movie of the Week..... Personally I think this film just doesn't deserve such a rating....kids were coming out of this movie really bored, a few older people were laughing and commenting pretty loudly 'Was that all?'....Granted, this is just the opinion of one audience, in one screening... but word of mouth has power.

The movie had a huge drop off because most who wanted to see it went opening weekend.
The marketing was genius. It did twice as well as was expected in its first four days. Its not exactly one of those movies you're going to want people to tell you what happened when you go back to the office on a Monday. People rushed out to see what it was hiding.

Plus no movie makes that kind of money in January in the US. It was unheard of and now everything is more back to normal with plenty of films doing fairly well.

That its going to make anywhere near $100 million for a low-budget hand-held monster movie is sensational.

I'll be there Friday morning and am pretty sure Empire are spot on with it as an experience. There's certainly not going to be anything like it all year. Isn't that why we keep going back to the cinema? For the new? To hope we see something different?

Post #: 113
RE: What a shock - 30/1/2008 9:50:01 AM   
Celluloid Seduction

quote:

ORIGINAL: wildphantom
I'll be there Friday morning and am pretty sure Empire are spot on with it as an experience. There's certainly not going to be anything like it all year. Isn't that why we keep going back to the cinema? For the new? To hope we see something different?

Great WildPhantom - I'd be interested to hear your views on this as an 'experience', as something 'new', and as something 'different'.....
.......I'm not saying that Cloverfield isn't any of these things...as I said on my review site (celluloidseduction.blogspot.com) and on this forum...there are some saving graces.

But it's occured to me now, the gimick is that whole 'hand-held-camera' effects thingy...and it's been said that "you feel like you're inside or watching a real documentary" (various on-line reviews) ....But if this is SO reality based, or trying to make you feel like it's real...it could happen....Surely, the guy doing the filming wouldn't be pointing the camera at his mates constantly, while the monster is a few meters away...surely you'd be filming what's around you, and not your best mate as he looks into the distance.....watch Cloverfield and see if what I just said makes any sense!

(in reply to wildphantom)
Post #: 114
Overheated-reviews4U - 30/1/2008 5:55:50 PM   
dielo

quote:

There will undoubtedly be those who don’t enjoy it, and some will have probably decided on that before seeing a frame.

Which is no worse than deciding to talk about it in ridiculously uncritical, gushing terms before seeing a frame, after surrendering to internet hype, like the author this silly review clearly has.

And the first sentence is just simply laughable. I mean, Cloverfield is The Host filmed a la Blair Witch style, with maybe a touch of Spielberg's War of the Worlds thrown in for good measure, no? More or less, anyway. Hardly groundbreaking.
Post #: 115
RE: Overheated-reviews4U - 30/1/2008 6:31:42 PM   
unhingedmoviepigeon

Going to see it on saturday, was looking forward to it but now Empire have given 5 stars I can't wait.....read some of the above reviews and it sounds amazing. Roll on Saturday!

Take my love.
Take my land.
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free.
You can't take the sky from me.

(in reply to dielo)
Post #: 116
RE: What a shock - 30/1/2008 9:21:27 PM   
wildphantom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Celluloid Seduction

quote:

ORIGINAL: wildphantom

Great WildPhantom - I'd be interested to hear your views on this as an 'experience', as something 'new', and as something 'different'.....
.......I'm not saying that Cloverfield isn't any of these things...as I said on my review site (celluloidseduction.blogspot.com) and on this forum...there are some saving graces.

But it's occured to me now, the gimick is that whole 'hand-held-camera' effects thingy...and it's been said that "you feel like you're inside or watching a real documentary" (various on-line reviews) ....But if this is SO reality based, or trying to make you feel like it's real...it could happen....Surely, the guy doing the filming wouldn't be pointing the camera at his mates constantly, while the monster is a few meters away...surely you'd be filming what's around you, and not your best mate as he looks into the distance.....watch Cloverfield and see if what I just said makes any sense!

great point, and I may well feel the same way once I've seen it on Friday.
It's a fine line between making it work as a movie and feeling like something real, that's for sure. Providing I have a thrilling time I'd like to think that what you've said won't annoy me too much.

I stand by what I said regarding it appearing 'new' and 'different' as an approach to the genre.

Look forward to returning Friday with a proper reaction though - its pure speculation from my part at this point

Post #: 117
RE: Overheated-reviews4U - 30/1/2008 9:25:13 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

Surely, the guy doing the filming wouldn't be pointing the camera at his mates constantly, while the monster is a few meters away...surely you'd be filming what's around you, and not your best mate as he looks into the distance.....watch Cloverfield and see if what I just said makes any sense!

Thats a good point. Unfortunately, realism in films does have to happen within certain parameters otherwise there is no story or people just would'nt beable to see what the heck was going on.

I think many people are swayed by the reviews and the hype from this movie.
I think most of the critics are right when they say its nothing "new" or "groundbreaking". But I believe people are being overly harsh on the film precisely because of the above.

That does'nt mean it was not entertaining. It is, because its a disaster movie and stuff gets busted up big time.

Spoilers

The bit in the subway is a good set piece. There are other scenes that work too.

I don't know what people expected from an low budget disaster film with no name actors that is very short, mostly filmed on hand-held camera. I think it does what it says on the tin. But thats just me.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to unhingedmoviepigeon)
Post #: 118
- 31/1/2008 1:35:44 AM   
deckard1984

Just seen it, and i've never seen anythinglike it. the fresh perspective and lost like secretive story teling has given me another good reason o burn godzilla out of my mind forever. the shocks and surprises within the film will no doubt stay with for along time. abrahms you are a legend!!

Post #: 119
5 Stars?! Has Empire finally dumbed down? - 31/1/2008 11:32:59 AM   
iamthesundancekid

This is the equivalent of having someone you are not to keen on primal scream in your face for an hour whilst listening to Aphex Twin at full volume during a firework explosion. Visually and technically great but a footnote in film history. That this scores the same as No Country For Old Men is pretty shameful. And yes, great films do need dialogue, characters and plot...Can't wait for Olly Richards 5 star review of "Meet The Spartans"

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Cloverfield Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI