Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Cloverfield

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Cloverfield Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cloverfield - 12/4/2009 10:14:10 PM   
Blue Ryan

A superb review by Olly Richards that brings alight the sheer invigoration this film provides. definatly one of my favourite movies of 2008.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 601
Massively Overrated - 24/4/2009 12:28:43 PM   
Ballschin

Good but not great, certainly not a classic! Empire how you could say this was "genuinely new" I will never know! Shaky handheld camera - seen before and to far scarier effect in The Blair Witch Project. Monster attacks New York City - seen before numerous times. Stupid, 20 something Americans running around screaming... you get the picture. Granted this may never have been done all in one film before but that alone surely doesn't constitute originality?

The initial attack on New York and the consequent chaos and panic was very scary and easily the highlight of the film, but it quickly devolved into a routine horror flick consisting of an annoying group of young people being chased through tunnels/streets/corridors by monsters.

The monster was cool (although I think the movie would have remained much scarier if we never really knew what was attacking the city, as it was at the beginning) and the CGI was generally good but after the mountain of hype and generally fantastic reviews I can't help but feel awfully underwhelmed!

Post #: 602
Garbage! - 28/4/2009 11:50:44 AM   
Noseblow

So ANNOYING! Who's going to run around with a camcorder for hours in those circumstances. Also, no fear or tension. Garbage!

Post #: 603
RE: Are you on crack? - 9/5/2009 1:06:17 PM   
Kyuzo

Great film, kinda sad seing New York being absolutely demolished like that but ah well! felt kinda quesy after it

"A stray dog sees only what it chases."

(in reply to Forwards_are_girls)
Post #: 604
dull and boring - 25/6/2009 6:02:50 PM   
ovverbruv

Well that's 80 minutes of my life i'm never getting back. Perhaps Empire should try removing their collective heads from JJ Abrams arse and watching again, this was a poor version of Godzilla which - let's face it - sucked. First thing you do when a giant monster is attacking is drop the ferking camcorder and run for your life. Absolutely pointless film with no redeeming features at all. I think maybe Empire reviewed the marketing campaign and forgot to review the film.

Post #: 605
Puke-tastic - 20/9/2009 2:44:05 PM   
Smootle

People complained that this movie made them feel sick. My poor girlfriend ended up just burying her head in her hands at the cinema. Ok I agree there were a couple of monets when I felt a bit giddy - but that only added to the effect. Made me feel disorientated.
My girlfriend always says - why would he still be holding on tot hat camera? Good question I suppose. I reason that holding it becomes a kind of obsession. Let's hope that cloverfield 2 delivers

Post #: 606
Sadly no 0 star rating available... - 10/11/2009 6:43:31 PM   
smoggy1985

I have to disagree about as strongly as is humanly possible with Olly. i found this film one of the worst films i have ever seen. in terms of script it is laughable, people simply do not talk like this in real life. Now i am a fan of the handicam view, see Blair Witch and a lot of "the Descent" (a fantastic horror film) however to say this film is "original" does not sit well with me. Firstly a big monster attacks a major city... nothing new there... done on handicam filming... nothing new there... it is how a film is made and creates the suppense that is important and this fails to do so. The plot is poor, the script laughable and the building he runs across was the nearest i have come to walking out of a cinema. All in all, not great!!

Post #: 607
Sadly no 0 star rating available... - 10/11/2009 6:43:45 PM   
smoggy1985

I have to disagree about as strongly as is humanly possible with Olly. i found this film one of the worst films i have ever seen. in terms of script it is laughable, people simply do not talk like this in real life. Now i am a fan of the handicam view, see Blair Witch and a lot of "the Descent" (a fantastic horror film) however to say this film is "original" does not sit well with me. Firstly a big monster attacks a major city... nothing new there... done on handicam filming... nothing new there... it is how a film is made and creates the suspense that is important and this fails to do so. The plot is poor, the script laughable and the building he runs across was the nearest i have come to walking out of a cinema. All in all, not great!!

Post #: 608
RE: Cloverfield - 6/5/2010 1:12:21 PM   
flushedgordon

quote:

ORIGINAL: shawshank prisoner

OMG, five stars? who saw that coming?! i'm more excited about this film than ever now... although it sounds like teh sort of film that'll drop a star or two by the time it's reviewed on dvd by someone else.

This movie was almost worthless

the acting was hammy

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 609
Terrific! - 6/5/2010 5:59:30 PM   
!xHoTRoDx!

OK, not worthy of five stars, but this is still terrific filmmaking and is the most realisticly and utterly terrifying horror movie since 'The Blair Witch Project', making a worthy addition to the shaky hanycam genre. Just give it a try.

Post #: 610
Terrifying, Very Tenseful. - 8/6/2010 3:00:06 PM   
joanna likes films

Cloverfield was a random choice on TV last night and boy, was I glad to see it. Within ten minutes or so, the viewer sees the people they have to remain with throughout the movie. Once the attacks begin, the tenison and the terror grows to a almighty high that you're on the edge of your seat. The ending is left up to the viewer to figure out what could happen, there shouldn't be a sequel because it just dosen't need it. One to to really check out if you can handle a camcorder film without throwing up during the film.

Post #: 611
See review..... - 28/6/2010 1:20:00 AM   
beanimcbeanerson

Utter, utter gash.
Horrible, horrible script, implausible storyline, deeply unsatisfying and hammier the longer it goes on.
Who rates the films on Empire? Is this several peoples opinion collective, or is someone actually paid for this?
I would compare the job the Empire staff are doing rating films to that of a Wall Street banker - a bit unsatisfactory no?

Post #: 612
See review..... - 28/6/2010 1:20:07 AM   
beanimcbeanerson

Utter, utter gash.
Horrible, horrible script, implausible storyline, deeply unsatisfying and hammier the longer it goes on.
Who rates the films on Empire? Is this several peoples opinion collective, or is someone actually paid for this?
I would compare the job the Empire staff are doing rating films to that of a Wall Street banker - a bit unsatisfactory no?

Post #: 613
Cloverfield: Twisting On The Stereotypes. - 11/7/2010 9:53:15 PM   
LUCASLITTLEWOOD

After watching this film over 10 times for a case study it does get very dull but the first time I watched it I was impressed on how much they twist your expectations, with a film like this the audience expects the monster to die and everyone to live but fortunately it doesn't, they build the emotional relationship up with key characters and when they go it just works.

Post #: 614
Great stuff - 9/8/2010 10:48:55 AM   
monkeyhumour

First viewings the best, but I really do love this film

Post #: 615
Great stuff - 9/8/2010 10:49:30 AM   
monkeyhumour

Post #: 616
Great stuff - 9/8/2010 10:50:01 AM   
monkeyhumour

Post #: 617
- 12/8/2010 12:46:42 PM   
stevolegendbauer

Asolutely fantastic. Original. Scary. Action packed. Visually stunning. Godzilla meets The Blair Witch Project. cloverfield is a classic film. The creature is brilliantly designed and the tunnel sequence is so tense and thrilling. Also shows the likes of Roland Emmirech that seeing a horse carry a destoyed carriage through an empty street is a much better and creepier way of showing apocalyptic destruction. And the little bit at the end where you see something crash into the sea.

Post #: 618
Fantastic - 6/3/2011 11:27:39 AM   
the film man

This is the best hand held cemera films to date.

Post #: 619
RE: RE: - 19/4/2011 3:22:45 PM   
TheGreenPlanet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trunk Monkeey

I think they should bring out Cloverfield 2 where the monster fights godzilla

yeah it would be worth seeing
Post #: 620
- 3/6/2011 9:57:53 AM   
neopol

Cloverfield is a well conceived and executed idea, one which also benefits from not out-staying its welcome, only running for 81 minutes.

It’s certainly a movie which should remain a one-off though, but it probably won’t. It will be copied and retold over an over until the point is lost. Saying thing that though, we must recognise that the ‘found footage’ style has grown out films such as Cannibal Holocaust and The Blair Witch Project. Perhaps it is the “Blair Witch” to the monster movie genre, but certainly miles better, a whole 4 stars better to be precise! The casting of unknowns was an obvious plus and the lack of music is also a great choice and also demonstrates commitment to their chosen format. And going off the end credit’s score, it was certainly a wise choice exclude it.

Well paced, even though we had to wait for what seemed like a whopping 17 minutes for the attack to begin, but once it did, it was a chilling experience, with several stand out moments, not least Lady Liberty’s head rolling down a New York Street and the Crystler Building’s 9/11 inspired collapse. But for me, the sight of one skyscraper leaning against another was priceless and original.

The effects and sound design were brilliant and the concept of never revealing the monster’s purpose, motivation or origin worked well, though I’m sure many would disagree and demand more, but since this was a film which was simply about a giant creature trashing New York, AGAIN! I really didn’t care why it was doing anything. I wasn’t concerned about it’s childhood, growing up in some North Atlantic trench, or whether he, she or it was simply lost and trying to ask for directions.

To summarise: great film, great effects, sound, acting and purpose. And I’m grateful that the ‘wonderfully inspired’ score was absent throughout.

Post #: 621
Ace... - 16/10/2011 12:16:04 PM   
trainedasninja

Cloverfield is a brilliant thriller experience without doubt. Possessing such tension and dread, you wouldnt be able to take your eyes from it. Even if why the camera is taken everywhere seems abit unrealistic, you couldnt deny the ride it takes you.

Post #: 622
5 stars seriously? - 31/1/2012 6:01:35 PM   
jordan thomas

were you watching the right film, no critic in the right mind would give this boring stupid nonesance 5 stars, and its also got 77% on rotten tomatoes which is a real overstatement

Post #: 623
Something Has Found Us - 3/2/2012 8:37:55 PM   
lostboys96

This is, without a doubt, one of the most simplistic yet astonishing films made to date. Although the monster has been around for decades, CLOVERFIELD makes it feel like an all new experience. You don't need fancy dialouge, big named actors and all-guns-blazzing action. All you need are realistic people in an almost siege-type setting. The characters in this film feel real. You can sympathise with the characters created here. That is a rare thing now. So it is clear how good this is. In a word: Classic

Post #: 624
Cloverfield - 19/7/2012 1:52:29 AM   
norgizfox

The realism is missing from the equation, but Cloverfield is an effiective thriller that gives Godzilla a run for it's money. The story pulls not only the characters, but the audience as well, into an 85 minute nightmare that just won't end. And it's one hell of a nightmare!

Post #: 625
Awesome Movie!!!! - 3/10/2013 1:02:38 PM   
*Dyn0mitedeck*

this is without any doubt at all one of the best monster movies i have ever seen and everyones problem is the hand held camera and the hype. a lot of people hates the fact that you supposingly don't learn anything you are not supposed to, what do you think that a little scientist is going to pop out and tell you everything about everything that would ruin the whole eerieness of the film. the special effects were fantastic the monster was so scary and stop making it out that a hand held movie is just a hour and a half of the camera waving because if that was the deal then you didn't see a monster, you didn't see any characters, you saw no fights, you didn't see anything whatsoever. this movie was awesome thank you very much.

Post #: 626
Awesome Movie!!!! - 3/10/2013 1:02:41 PM   
*Dyn0mitedeck*

this is without any doubt at all one of the best monster movies i have ever seen and everyones problem is the hand held camera and the hype. a lot of people hates the fact that you supposingly don't learn anything you are not supposed to, what do you think that a little scientist is going to pop out and tell you everything about everything that would ruin the whole eerieness of the film. the special effects were fantastic the monster was so scary and stop making it out that a hand held movie is just a hour and a half of the camera waving because if that was the deal then you didn't see a monster, you didn't see any characters, you saw no fights, you didn't see anything whatsoever. this movie was awesome thank you very much.

Post #: 627
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Cloverfield Page: <<   < prev  17 18 19 20 [21]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI