Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Loved the ending

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Loved the ending Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Loved the ending - 15/4/2008 1:08:57 PM   
FlexDream

Very atmospheric. An epic B movie, with a nice live feel. Loved the ending. Very effective and simple.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 541
- 20/4/2008 10:21:14 AM   
willchadwick

They're making a sequel can take two stars back now

Post #: 542
- 20/4/2008 10:21:47 AM   
willchadwick

They're making a sequel can take two stars back now

Post #: 543
CLOVERFIELD - 23/4/2008 2:31:18 AM   
EntertainmentGuru101

CLOVERFIELD is one of the best films so far in 2008. The beginning of the film was a little slow, but once the Monster hits, it's non-stop action from there. The suspence never let's up either. You become so engrossed in the film that you almost forget your even watching a movie. I think the way that they filmed it was a really clever idea and that made the film unique in it's own way. I loved 1998's Godzilla but Cloverfield has definetly surpassed that. If your someone who gets sick way to easily from fast motions, than I recommend you don't watch this film! It's nice to see the critics giving this film a high rating, especially for a monster movie. Even for a low budget film, the Monster looked GREAT! The actors in the film are definetly what made this film so believable. The way they were running through the streets, the emotions, all of that made you feel for them. The only thing I didn't care for was the end. I think it would have been cool if they had actually shown the monster being gunned down by the army and the monster falling down right in front of the camera. But perhaps they didn't do that 'cause there might be a second one? I give this film a B

Post #: 544
Above average monster flick - 25/4/2008 7:16:39 PM   
CaptainHowdy82

Shot on a camcorder flick - all the vogue these days. Some good scares, but a long build up to the action. Worth checking out.

Post #: 545
Above average monster flick - 25/4/2008 7:17:12 PM   
CaptainHowdy82

Shot on a camcorder flick - all the vogue these days. Some good scares, but a long build up to the action. Worth checking out.

Post #: 546
Above average monster flick - 25/4/2008 7:17:44 PM   
CaptainHowdy82

Post #: 547
Flora-field - 2/5/2008 9:00:37 PM   
Daniel James Taylor

I love to be scared of what I can't see, and I love to sit through a cinematic experience, but what we have here is a cinematic experience that we can't see but have to sit through! The premise of this film is as good and well thought out as the snippets we are presented in the first half – something is there, it's bad, we know it's bad, we know it's there, but by God we don't know what the Hell it is, and from where the Hell it came. The problem is that this brilliant premise continues right through to the end. We know at the end of the film that something came at us, it was bad, it killed a lot of people, we lost, but it was captured imaginatively on camcorder film by college dimwits; we saw snippets that thrilled and scared us in their restrictive revelations, and God knows where it came from? and what it was doing here? I like suspending disbelieve, I like traveling on a journey, and the first 20 Minutes of "monster” scenes in this one are great – it genuinely frightens us by giving us blurry images of "things” hitting New York, so reminiscent of what terrified us so recently in NYC. But that's really all you get - nothing more! This does what is says on the tin, it's a short thrill, pitched well: no need for thought (except that which went in to the brilliant marketing campaign), acted adequately, presented well enough, but to award 5 stars is the most ridiculous thing since Godzilla walking on the Brooklyn Bridge (which we all secretly enjoyed so much more than this!).

< Message edited by Daniel James Taylor -- 2/5/2008 9:11:03 PM >

Post #: 548
Hated Cloverfield - 6/5/2008 1:56:17 PM   
lynnshep

Great plot, but ridiculous, stupid characters. Hand held camera work made me nauseous. I give it props for its bold ending.

Post #: 549
Hated Cloverfield - 6/5/2008 1:56:49 PM   
lynnshep

Great plot, but ridiculous, stupid characters. Hand held camera work made me nauseous. I give it props for its bold ending.

Post #: 550
5-star stuff - 18/5/2008 12:05:55 AM   
Perrettyboy

Dont care what anyone says, my opinion of this film will never change - awesome!

Post #: 551
Cloverfield Review - 22/5/2008 10:13:59 PM   
MovieWatcher45

This film is great. The atmosphere of the movie is great and the fact it is shot from camcorder made it seem like it was really happening. The CGI was great and overall the film was very enjoyable. However for me the film left me wanting more. Not a sequel but just more.

Post #: 552
- 24/5/2008 11:02:41 AM   
Mr. Chumba

Cloverfield was an amazing experiance. I loved every minute. Anyone who didn't like this is just an old lady that can't stomach the hand held. If you can't. Try doing some sit ups to tighten your gut. Don't come talking shit on here saying that this dazzling masterpiece is crap just coz you can't keeo your beans down.

Post #: 553
RE: RE: - 8/6/2008 12:39:23 AM   
audidiesel

the handheld cam didnt make me nauseous i just didnt like it. the guy holding it in the film is possibly the most irritating character of all time. i watched this about three or four times to see if i could get what the hype was. i couldnt. i think its a bad movie. every time i saw it i was thinking, will you ever shut the fuck up. godzilla did this ten times better. even the original b movies were more entertaining. worst film of the year hands down. if i could give it negative marks i would

"if you argue correctly, your never wrong" - Nick Naylor
Post #: 554
RE: RE: - 8/6/2008 9:56:11 PM   
Drone

Very disappointing, and failed to convince on it's basic premise.

The camcorder thing doesn't work outside of Blair Witch... REC does it slightly better, but it still just just doesn't work.  BWP was an amalgamation of many  things at the right time, which is why the concept worked.

And yeah, the guy holding the camera is a godawful character.

(in reply to audidiesel)
Post #: 555
Gripping - 10/6/2008 9:15:24 AM   
B Murphy

I saw this in the cinema which is where i feel its at its best. The plot and atmoshpere this film gives is awsom! I take each film and watch it for what it is and block out any critics or overhype and decide myself. The dark shots and shakey cam give you the feeling your there and add to the suspense, It did what they set out to do and did it well in my opinion. My only complaint was the ending, came alittle sudden without any feedback to what it was or where it had came from. Cloverfield 2 ??? I hope so.

Post #: 556
Wow! - 11/6/2008 11:19:57 AM   
Roaty

I watched Cloverfield yesterday after getting it on DVD, I was never sure about the concept of Cloverfield and its use of hand held cameras, I worried that I would maybe feel sick, or would get aggitated with it.

And at first I thought that it would get on my nerves, right until the monster attacks and then I was gripped, It has been a long time since a film has had me on the edge of my seat and shouting at the tv, but that is exactly what I was doing whilst watching Cloverfield, the direction was amazing and I loved the fact that youo only got to see bits of the monster here and there, making it all the more tense, and I had lots of respect for all the un-answered questions at the end, what happend to the monster, where is it from, why is it attacking. All these un-answered questions just make it all the more gripping and tense

I was speechless at the end of the film its like nothing I have ever seen before

Post #: 557
WORST FILM OF THE YEAR (IF NOT WORST EVER) - 11/6/2008 10:55:06 PM   
bobet

the camcorder thing just doesnt work - i am sat here now with a terrible headache from all of the dodgy camera moves. the first half an hour is just pointless - nothing happens and the rest of the movie was disapointing to put it politely. the filmakers obviously went for the blair witch style to try and inject some horror and tension but it just makes the whole film ridiculously hard to watch with all the running staring at shoes and very fast camera shaking its enough to make you dizzy&sick. also it just ends suddenly - the film is over and you are still waiting for something to happen. there is one positive for this movie however - it is over quickly at 89mins so if you are unfortunate enough to be suckered into it like me you dont have to suffer for long. it doesnt deserve a rating but unfortunately you have to select at least one star to post a review.

Post #: 558
Awesome! - 13/6/2008 10:31:06 AM   
mikioninja

Sadly i failed to see this on the big screen, and what a shame i didnt, i was blown away while watching this on the small screen!
I knew it would be good, i'd fallen in with all the hype pre-release, what is this film about, where does it come from?!
And in esssence its simple, its a monster movie! And a bloody good one, gripping from the outset, characters that are watchable, not necessarily likeable but definately watchable! The sequences and glimpses of the creature are effective and not at all disappointing, who needs a full length in yor face shot, when glimpses are far more effective, its the imagination that makes and captures this film.
Pure genius

Post #: 559
Awesome! - 13/6/2008 10:31:10 AM   
mikioninja

Sadly i failed to see this on the big screen, and what a shame i didnt, i was blown away while watching this on the small screen!
I knew it would be good, i'd fallen in with all the hype pre-release, what is this film about, where does it come from?!
And in esssence its simple, its a monster movie! And a bloody good one, gripping from the outset, characters that are watchable, not necessarily likeable but definately watchable! The sequences and glimpses of the creature are effective and not at all disappointing, who needs a full length in yor face shot, when glimpses are far more effective, its the imagination that makes and captures this film.
Pure genius

Post #: 560
Dross - 13/6/2008 8:45:01 PM   
timbailey60

Surely the most overrated film of the year. Strangely it was strongest at the start before the action really began. There were a few amusing lines and there was some good character development. But, once the action began it all went horribly wrong with a ridiculous plotline (okay, I know it's a monster movie but pa-leeze!) and cliche after cliche. It's only saving grace was that it was just 80 minutes long, barely enough time to reach R.E.M. sleep.

Post #: 561
- 14/6/2008 2:12:10 AM   
flennen

i loved the final twist at the end - splash down ? And the irony that he had accidently caught it on camera and not noticed.

Post #: 562
- 16/6/2008 8:57:20 AM   
discodave101

Great film.

Post #: 563
wow! - 18/6/2008 7:45:15 PM   
ryanand conor

loved cloverfield it is ammence great cinema the handheld camera thing works great!!!1

Post #: 564
amence - 18/6/2008 7:46:12 PM   
ryanand conor

ammence ammence and brill

Post #: 565
MASSIVELY OVER-RATED - 19/6/2008 12:51:32 AM   
anthonypearson

Giving this film 5 stars is a joke. The film was below average, and certainly did not live up to the hype. At least now you can give the film 3 stars instead of 5 empire because the sequel is being made.

Post #: 566
Good, not great. - 19/6/2008 1:39:09 PM   
Tindum

Although this film was less than 90 minutes i still think it went on too long. It should have ended when the helicopter crashed and the camera went static because that full on view of the monster at the end took alot of the mystery away. Having said that it was still well made and that scene in the subway with the little monsters was disturbing as all hell.

Post #: 567
Horribly overrated... - 20/6/2008 3:31:12 PM   
Duffski

SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

To start with, the camera work is apalling - watching home movies is bad enough, but to watch an 80 minute film of the same quality gives you a headache. It is also very dark, leaving you staring at the screen trying to figure out what you are looking at. The characters are very cliched and shallow, and Hud (T J Miller) behind the camera is one of the most annoying (and stupid) to have ever graced the silver screen. The moment he died I breathed a sigh of relief. I also found the central premise to be ludicrously idiotic - the idea that in the midst of all this carnage they would continue to film (and not run our of batteries?) rather than dump the camera and concentrate on surviving. It would have warranted a second star if they had given some kind of explanation, but no... A great disappointment all in all; I will not be watching any kind of sequel (which is already in the offing).

Post #: 568
After watching it 10+ times, I still love it large! - 21/6/2008 5:19:41 PM   
industrialjunkie92

SPOILERS: Too get the full impact of this film, you must see it at the cinema and, it must be packed. Fortunently, I was there on the opening night and, wow, I was in for a treat! The whole thing is brilliantly filmed (even though some will say the camerawork is appaling) and the atmosphere of just pure panic is amazing. The scenes are also set up well and you can't help but to fell for them when they are about to/are dying (espically Marlaina, she was my favourite). The ending could've been better but the experience was one of first class.

Post #: 569
RE: Cloverfield...Not of much merit - 24/6/2008 9:03:51 AM   
jonson

Watched this last night, knew nothing about it, avoided the reviews and the hype and I must say I thought it was excellent.
5 minutes in I wanted the party to stop and the action to start, but I found it amusing and when the first BANG happened and the lights flickered it took me so by surprise I was caught up in the terror straight away.
A few complaints like why did he keep filming? why go towards the monster? why when you're running away you keep turning back to get a nice shot of the looming destruction and why did they not tell the army guys their mate had been bitten (badly) but hey, we wouldn't have a film if we didn't. (also did her head explode or what?)
All in all a solid 4 star movie for me.
They can fuck off with the sequal though. Stupid, stupid, stupid idea.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Loved the ending Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI