Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dan In Real Life - 13/1/2008 4:05:40 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 13/1/2008 4:05:40 PM   
Starscream

Little slow paced but after that, the movie took off. Good family comedy with some real laughs

3/5

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 13/1/2008 5:32:04 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Absolutely fantastic, very very funny and heartwarming and heartbreaking too... Steve Carrell is absolutely brilliant, as are Juliette Binoche and finally Dane Cook is likeable. Able support too from John Mahoney and Dianne Wiest... a fantastic comedy drama well worth seeing

4.5/5

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 3
Suprisingly funny movie - 13/1/2008 5:59:25 PM   
02PARSIM

Dan in Real Life is a sweet, surprisingly believable, well acted drama/comedy which is full of highly memorable scenes and also in some way actually does touch you. This is the first movie since Knocked Up in which I actually cried with laughter, that was an impressive feat for a movie I had pretty much never heard of. Sure the movie does have its flaws, clichéd doesn't even cover the ending and at times the family does seem a bit unbelievable, I am sorry but I have never, ever heard of a real family sitting together to do a crossword puzzle! But these are mere quibbles as you cannot help but come out of this movie smiling and feeling a bit better about yourself. Of course this isn't for everybody, people who went into this movie expecting to see Carell on his annoying over the top form would leave this movie bitterly disappointed, trust me I saw some kids walk out and laughed to myself as they obviously just expected another Evan Almighty.

Post #: 4
RE: Suprisingly funny movie - 13/1/2008 6:16:12 PM   
Timon

I really enjoyed it. Suprisingly touching and struck a chord for me in that I'm from a similarly large family, thought I'm not sure I'd hit on my brother's girl. Well, maybe......Juliette Binoche was certainly appealing.

A nice family film that's completely harmless with its predicable but touching ending.

4/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to 02PARSIM)
Post #: 5
RE: Suprisingly funny movie - 13/1/2008 11:11:23 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: 02PARSIM
I am sorry but I have never, ever heard of a real family sitting together to do a crossword puzzle!

Apparently the family stuff is based on the writers own family life so while it may not be what your family do with their afternoons, it didn't strike me as odd.

I liked the film but I think it kind of fell apart at the end. The way Dane Cooks character ends up was a pretty crap way out of the problems caused by his brother. Lazy writing.

Also, if someone acted like Carrell in real life, obsessing over a woman he had spent about an hour with, most women would think he was nuts!

Juliette Binoche looked amazing though!

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to 02PARSIM)
Post #: 6
Dan In Real Life - Surprisingly good - 14/1/2008 8:47:27 AM   
moviemaniac2

A toned-down, restrained romantic comedy for adults is the pitch for Dan In Real Life, and for the most part, it achieves what it sets out to do. It strives for believability rather than super-dramatic movie moments, and subtle humour than laugh out loud scenes. Carell is on form, too, playing against type as the straight one in the family. It is worth the ticket price alone for Binoche

Post #: 7
RE: Suprisingly funny movie - 14/1/2008 10:19:21 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: 02PARSIM
I am sorry but I have never, ever heard of a real family sitting together to do a crossword puzzle!

Apparently the family stuff is based on the writers own family life so while it may not be what your family do with their afternoons, it didn't strike me as odd.

I liked the film but I think it kind of fell apart at the end. The way Dane Cooks character ends up was a pretty crap way out of the problems caused by his brother. Lazy writing.

Yeah, his brother was conveniently paired up with Blunt's hot doctor..but it is hinted at that he is much more shallow than Dan. And besides, it's one of those films where you can forgive such plot devices.

And i'll have you know I used do the huge Times Saturday crossword with my brothers when I lived at home. So there!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 8
- 14/1/2008 10:23:05 AM   
captain jack harknes

Really enjoyed this film - was surprisingly funny and also cringeworthy in places particularly when Dan made everybody uncomfortable at the dinner table by going on about his brother's ex girlfriends!! The highlight was the pig song which had me in absolute stitches! The brother ending up with ruthie was a little bit predictable but didn't spoil an otherwise very good film.

Post #: 9
RE: - 14/1/2008 12:10:00 PM   
johndoe

Really enjoyed this film, a great way to kick of 2008.

Steve Carell is superb and very believable in his role as depressed widower Dan Burns, as is his love interest Anne-Marie (Juliette Binoche) and (surprisingly) his on-screen brother Dane Cook, who is also dating Anne-Marie.

The only drawback I can think of is that the likes of John Mahoney and Emily Blunt do not get as much screen time as they deserve.

Overall though, a funny, light-hearted family comedy. Definitely recommended.

Verdict: ****

"I'm 6'5", 220, and there's two of me."

(in reply to captain jack harknes)
Post #: 10
RE: RE: - 15/1/2008 10:36:22 AM   
linleyr

I think Empire have got this one about right.  It is simply a solid 3 star film.  Nothing special but if you are in the mood for a gentle family comedy then this is a better alternative to the likes of The Family Stone.
Admittedly the beginning and the end are slightly predictable and a bit too "easy" but once the contrived setup is in place, there are laughs to be had and a few touching moments as well. 
Having read the Empire review beforehand, I was on the look out for the scene with Emily Blunt, but the look that Binoche gives her is killer.  Its a shame that the script didn't allow for more from Blunt who is great in the one or two scenes she is in.
It doesn't pull up any trees but you could do a lot worse on a cold wet January night.

(in reply to johndoe)
Post #: 11
Worth watching for the leads - 20/1/2008 10:20:40 PM   
Davechoc

Carell and Binoche are excellent as the two leads, forming a believable and touching relationship at the centre of the film. They earn the film an extra star: the extended family surrounding them does tend towards the typically American and sentimental in their behaviour (family sports, massed breakfasts, home-made talent shows, that sort of thing), and it's a tad too long. It's also one of those films where the central character is treated a little unfairly - Dan's single status essentially relegates him to the laundry room, which he is given little privacy and where the washing machine is running as he tries to go to sleep (a tiresomely unrealistic quirk; no adult would put up with it), and one family member makes constant gibes until you just wish Dan would tell him to f**k off.

So a little too much whimsy then but not a waste of time by any means.

Post #: 12
Was I watching the same film? - 17/2/2008 8:04:17 PM   
dja_list

This film was awful! I found myself laughing at the fact that i had paid to see the film rather than the on screen humor. There was no chemistry in any of the relationships and i couldn't have cared less about Dan himself! I would recommend consuming large amounts of alcohol to get the most out of this film.

Post #: 13
THE TRUTH - 6/5/2008 3:14:36 PM   
largeball

I would not recommend this movie it is a wast of time. Only a few funny parts and kind of borning. I give it 21/2 stars

Post #: 14
Steve Carell is BRILLIANT - 5/6/2008 9:36:04 PM   
JohnPaul1996

I didnt think this was going to be a good film but I was surprized.I think some people would hate this film,like my friend,he didnt like it. The ending wasnt very great.It wasnt very funny but still very entertaining.And I liked Steve,s charachter

Post #: 15
Dan In Real Life - 14/6/2008 9:19:53 PM   
Indio

I enjoyed it, Carell and Binoche were both great, it was maybe a little bit too determined to be "indie and kooky" but Carell went a long way to redeem himself after the fucking dreadful Evan Almighty (although Get Smart looks like it'll be back to the shouting in the hope the audience will find it funny in the absence of a decent script blueprint)

< Message edited by Indio -- 14/6/2008 9:20:50 PM >

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to JohnPaul1996)
Post #: 16
RE: Dan In Real Life=Cliched Crapola - 17/6/2008 3:15:49 PM   
Nimrods Son

I can't believe people can give this movie 4 stars! It's worth two at THE MOST. It's cliched, formulaic and not funny. I could count the number of time I laughed on one hand without my thumb! Carell is pretty good especially when you consider what a cliched script he was given. The characters are stereotypes: The depressed widower, The teenage daughter in LOVE, The cute youngest daughter. The whole thing is 'Heartwarming' to the point of being nauseating and they've even managed to waste Fraiser's dad!

At Maxium= 2 stars

< Message edited by Nimrods Son -- 17/6/2008 3:17:46 PM >

It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.
-Jacob (Lost)

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 17
Meh - 13/11/2008 7:05:12 PM   
Caster

A watered down version of better films like The Family Stone or Home For The Holidays. Not bad, just not very original. Dane Cook is the deathnell for any movie but watch it for Emily Blunt's five minute appearance that blows everyone else off the screen.

Post #: 18
Happy Endings - 12/3/2009 1:03:08 PM   
Andybee76

Empire says that Happy Endings are not the stuff of real life, well they can be and surely if they aren't then that is the reason why we would want our films to have them!!!

I personally liked this film I found it to be sweet and it looks really nice (I know not much of a review!) I thought Carrell and Binoche were excellent and also some of the supporting cast!!!

Post #: 19
Truly terrible - 2/8/2009 12:35:39 PM   
jonnythan

This film is truly terrible unless you fulfil ALL of the following criteria:

1) you are female;
2) you have no brain;
3) you adore sentimental saccharin plotlines;
4) you’re fond of seeing Juliette Binoche miscast and wearing a ridiculously unflattering wig.

That is all.

Post #: 20
Nice, in a good way - 28/4/2010 5:11:44 PM   
chief brody

It's official. Steve Carell is the new Jim Carrey; when he's a gurning clown he's ok, but turning the volume down brings out a really warm performance, enjoying scenes of charming chemistry with Binoche. If tidy endings were the stuff of life, I wouldn't need the movies.

Post #: 21
Surprising Steve - 4/6/2013 1:04:29 PM   
Winningthefail

Steve Carrell shocks in this rather good film. It's good to see that he can actually act without having to be a virgin.

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Dan In Real Life Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI