Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Mistresses: Britain's Desperate Housewives

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Mistresses: Britain's Desperate Housewives Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mistresses: Britain's Desperate Housewives - 9/1/2008 11:25:58 AM   
Goodfella

Anybody else watch this on BBC1 last night? Labelled as "Britain's answer to Desperate Housewives" it was nice too see a really impressive English take on a hugely successful American drama.

Thing is I like Desperate Housewives but for me it's far too American-ised - all those identical picket fences and un-realistic storylines whereas last night's Mistresses is a British gem because its true to real life whilst also being really sexy and funny. Another funny thing is that it is seen by most as a show aimed at women yet I think men might enjoy it more. The show basically is a story of three anti-heroes and their dappy friend. The "women's code" is broken on a frequent basis as within the first episode we've learnt that three of the women have/or are sleeping with married men. Whilst obviously we are supposed too feel sorry for the latter character Trudi (suffering from the loss of her husband in 9/11 but with a million odd quid to her name...) you can tell she's going to be a bang-your-head-against-the-wall job.

The only let-down is the obvious character similarities with DH. You've got Jessica (Gabriella) who sleeps around with all the good-looking men and views sex as the most important thing in a relationship whilst arguably being the best looking of the four (also note dark skin, not too subtle BBC!), Katie (Bree) a woman without a husband who feels guilty about sleeping with a man because of his predicament and the effects it will have on his family (in Bree's case it was her's), Trudi (Lynette) who is a struggling mum always thinking she's making the right decision but it turns out too be the wrong one and Siobhan (Susan) where the similarties are a little less but there is the case of sleeping with the wrong man issue. Just my opinion of course!

Anyway as a 20 year-old bloke who prefers stuff like Prison Break and Fawlty Towers, I really enjoyed this and hope it lasts longer than the five episodes planned. Nice too see Patrick Balidi (The Office) land another acting role as well although completely different from his previous work.

Mistresses, Tuesdays, BBC1, 9pm

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 1
RE: Mistresses: Britain's Desperate Housewives - 9/1/2008 9:20:08 PM   
artilleryman

I must admit I was kind of disappointed in this. I was hoping it would be a bit more daring than it was and thought it just a bit bland and pedestrian. Maybe it'll pick up in later eps...

http://artilleryman.blogspot.com

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 2
RE: Mistresses: Britain's Desperate Housewives - 25/1/2008 11:44:13 AM   
Cruisecontroller

I like it especially Sarah Parishs performance as a character who had an affair with a terminally ill married patient whose died and whose son is initially suspicous of her being his mistress and then falls for her. I think its a little more serious than Desperate Housewives and Sex In The City and not a deliberate UK copy just for that kind of audience and a similar style if you know what I mean. Worth seeing.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to artilleryman)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Mistresses: Britain's Desperate Housewives Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI