Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Volcano - 3/1/2008 1:13:01 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
I don't get it - 3/1/2008 1:13:01 PM   
industrialjunkie92

Volcano was a complete adrenaline rush for me. I don't understand why Empire only gave it 3 stars. I watched it again and couldn't find anything wrong with it. The high points are TLJ and Cheadle.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: I don't get it - 5/1/2008 2:32:03 PM   
mackey

Thought it was woeful.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to industrialjunkie92)
Post #: 3
RE: I don't get it - 5/1/2008 5:53:26 PM   
Chris66

I have always thought this movie is pretty good.

"We just wanted to say we're a big fan of your work. When it comes to killing Nazis... I think you show great talent. And I pride myself on having an eye for that kind of talent. Your status as a Nazi killer is... still amateur. We all come here to see if you wanna go pro... '"

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 4
- 6/9/2008 10:59:28 PM   
muchobenny

It was reasonably entertaining, if ridiculous, but i can't forgive the rescued little boy's comment at the end when he sees all of the people of L.A. that have been working together covered in ash; 'their faces, they all look the same,' Subtle

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 5
RE: - 15/9/2012 6:51:28 AM   
Phubbs

Volcano (1997)

The second volcano disaster film released in 97 and clearly a different tone, didn't do as well as 'Dante's Peak' and its easy to see why.

First off the plot, like most all disaster films, is completely identical to that other volcano film. This film kicks off almost straight away with the action and pending volcano but overall its all the same. Simply replace Brosnan with Jones and the fact no one believes him until it just darn too late.

From there on the film becomes a ludicrously silly action/thriller which really should be titled 'Lava' as that's all its about, you only see the small volcano for a few shots. You can look at this film as more of a blockbuster 'arcade' type as its not very realistic and overly flashy. Sure its got everything you would expect in a disaster film including the heroic sacrifice, obligatory dog, a few people being melted away in lava (had to have that!) but it also has so much cheese. The forced racism sub plot between a white cop and black youth who at the end make up and help each other seemingly vanquishing the hatred? OK its a good sentiment but holy crap its lame.

The film progresses ever predictably towards its ever so obvious happy ending as downtown LA melts n bubbles away. You just move from one catastrophic setup to the next, some with your typical heroic bookend and some with your typical emotional bookend. The effects are pretty good in places yes, gotta give the film that, the lava does look pretty hot and you do get a good sense of sweltering sheer heat from the action.

The final finale is an utter ridiculous joke that simply doesn't help the film a tall. The way they solve the problem in the time they have is just plain comicbook stuff, add to that the over the top end sequence for Jones which is laughable. Luckily the solid Tommy Lee saves the film from utter B-movie obscurity with his craggy features.

Nowhere near as good as 'Dante's Peak' and nowhere near as accurate with the facts. Not a total problem as we know off the bat this ain't no serious flick. Unfortunately you can't help but compare it to the superior earlier volcano flick which ticks all the right boxes including realism and thrills.

End of the day this just feels like some Hollywood suit thought how cool it would be to see how much destruction and mayhem there would be if you moved a volcano from way out in the wilderness to a major city. Yeah we can cause lots of shit to blow up and melt in a city!.

(in reply to muchobenny)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Volcano Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI