Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Law & Order-London

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Law & Order-London Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Law & Order-London - 3/1/2008 9:55:36 AM   
spark1

a new show from kudos-spooks, life on mars-part of the franchise from US.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117978345.html?categoryid=14&cs=1
Post #: 1
RE: Law & Order-London - 5/1/2008 12:11:44 PM   
spark1

coals to newcastle with the bill and trial and retribution on UK screens?

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 2
RE: Law & Order-London - 5/1/2008 1:38:53 PM   
Peppermint

I hardly think so since The Bill is nowhere near as good as Law & Order.  Also, Trial And Retribution is usually only on for a short time.

Not to mention the fact that The Bill is a soap and Law & Order isn't.

< Message edited by Peppermint -- 5/1/2008 1:39:42 PM >

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 3
RE: Law & Order-London - 6/1/2008 12:53:41 PM   
Mozza

quote:

Wolf and NBC Universal are in talks with ITV and U.K. production house Kudos Film to launch a new version of "Law & Order," but for audiences across the Pond.

Sounds like a neat way to get past the writer's strike to me...launch a foreign spin off and reap the royalties.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 4
RE: Law & Order-London - 27/1/2008 6:51:28 PM   
Mason Verger

The British spinoffs of CSI and Law and Order are going to be called CSA (Child Support Agency) and Special Needs Unit.  

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 5
RE: Law & Order-London - 27/1/2008 7:41:56 PM   
BobaJango

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

The British spinoffs of CSI and Law and Order are going to be called CSA (Child Support Agency) and Special Needs Unit.  

I can just hear Jack Bauer saying those words...

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 6
RE: Law & Order-London - 27/1/2008 7:47:05 PM   
Peppermint

I can hear the jokes about that Special Needs Unit one already.  Couldn't they have chosen a better name?

"What, again?"

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 7
RE: Law & Order-London - 27/1/2008 7:53:11 PM   
Mozza

You know that's not the real name, right?

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 8
RE: Law & Order-London - 27/1/2008 8:11:12 PM   
Peppermint

Obviously not, or I wouldn't have made a fool of myself

"What, again?"

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 9
RE: Law & Order-London - 27/1/2008 8:16:40 PM   
Shifty Bench

Really, really sorry Pep, but that made me laugh. A lot.

Please don't ban me

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 10
RE: Law & Order-London - 27/1/2008 9:38:49 PM   
Peppermint

No bother Shifty, I'm always making an idiot of myself offline so I don't see why it should be any different on here

"What, again?"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 11
RE: Law & Order-London - 13/2/2009 10:52:51 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

I hardly think so since The Bill is nowhere near as good as Law & Order. 

But it used to be far superior aspiring to Hill St Blues not repetitive but watchable. Law and Order I can see as wallpaper TV - you'll leave it on if it is one but why look it out when you'll have seen the story at least once or twice a season already? The Bill, now, is, as you say, a soap.

Just seen the trailer. It is very discombobulating seeing Bamber use his home accent. Bill Paterson - big tick there. Ben Daniels is a decent actor. Agyeman? Not so much - her looking serious look doesn't really work for me. Bradley Walsh is a bit of an odd choice too.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 12
RE: Law & Order-London - 16/2/2009 3:39:03 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

I heard a story that Paterson Joseph (Johnson from Peep Show, also of Not Becoming Dr Who Like He Was Bloody Supposed To fame), may be appearing in this. Anyone know if this is actually the case?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: Law & Order-London - 17/2/2009 10:52:15 AM   
Timon

I only know that Jamie 'Apollo' Bamber and Freema Agyeman are in it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 14
RE: Law & Order-London - 17/2/2009 11:21:04 AM   
discodave101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

I heard a story that Paterson Joseph (Johnson from Peep Show, also of Not Becoming Dr Who Like He Was Bloody Supposed To fame), may be appearing in this. Anyone know if this is actually the case?

I think I saw him in the trailer, don't hold me to that though! Doesn't mean he's a recurring character even if I did though.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 15
RE: Law & Order-London - 24/2/2009 9:15:09 PM   
King_Wah

Don't know if anybody caught this. I thought it was ok. Particularly in the earlier scenes with Bradey and the other fella. It got a little preachy in the second half but in the American version I always prefer the first half as well. A decent attempt. I will give it a second go.

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 16
RE: Law & Order-London - 24/2/2009 10:07:50 PM   
elab49

The writing was awful - Harriet Walter was all but cringing at her lines. And they seemed to try to transpose a US case over here - most of it didn't really make sense, probably as they have stuck rigidly to a structure for the CPS that isn't remotely how they actually work. And prosecuting slum landlords for carbon monoxide poisoning - even when not deliberate - isn't exactly so new we wouldn't be familiar with how it works from the press.

And the 'bad guy' was obvious on first sight. Both of them. That can't be a good thing?

Oddly, a week after seeing Phil Davis in Whitechapel you can see where they really missed out on casting - Walsh wasn't great. Neither was Agyeman. The rest were reasonably OK.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 17
RE: Law & Order-London - 25/2/2009 9:13:49 AM   
King_Wah

I admit it was a bit creaky and far fetched but I have to take issue about Walsh. I thought he was very good for that role and there was a decent chemistry between him and his partner. You are right abou their boss though. That is awful casting. My main complaint is that it was a little earnest. But this was the first episode. Lets see how it develops.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: Law & Order-London - 25/2/2009 10:12:19 AM   
elab49

Walters is one of the best actors cast in it - I wasn't criticising the casting but the way they've written the role. But I don't think Walsh is a particularly good actor. In a jokey way I've seen him be effective - Sarah Jane Adventures.

It isn't just a criticism of yet another transplanted soap actor in a heavily promoted series beyond their abilities. The writing is the main culprit here, IMO.

Another thought we did have - wouldn't it have been great if baddie Ashbourne's other half had been in the role (That is the point, I guess - if we spent a good chunk of the show recasting Walsh's part?).

quote:

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 19
RE: Law & Order-London - 26/2/2009 6:55:46 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

And the 'bad guy' was obvious on first sight. Both of them. That can't be a good thing?

It's often like that in the US version. Not all the time, but it is obvious now and then. Usually though, it's the legal wrangling that holds those episodes up. It's not always a case of whodunnit, more a case of we know whodunnit, now let's watch them slip through the loopholes.

Still, I have binged out before now on 18 straight L & O episodes, so I'm a bit biased towards it.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 20
RE: Law & Order-London - 26/2/2009 9:35:30 AM   
elab49

That seems reasonable. Perhaps a lot of things are becoming a bit too obvious when you've watched these things this long - one of Mentalists great failings is it is always obvious who the bad guy is the first time they turn up - most of the time it is about the same number of minutes in. That is supposed to be a whodunnit, though and, oddly, most of the time it doesn't really bother me there either.

quote:

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 21
RE: Law & Order-London - 26/2/2009 3:32:53 PM   
Gazdance

I really liked this.  Wasn't expecting much and I've never seen the US version but I was kept interested throughout.  Will be tuning in again as well.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Law & Order-London Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI