Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 16/2/2008 11:08:53 AM   
adambatman82

there will be blood goes straight in at the top. i think it could be my favourite film ever...

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 16/2/2008 11:09:07 AM >

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 361
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 16/2/2008 11:22:41 AM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ultimo Lee

18. Eloge De L'Amour/In Praise of Love France (Jean-Luc Godard, 2001) 0/10 Feb

I taped this based on the Radio Times giving it 5/5 but I haven't seen it yet. Is it really this bad?

From what I have read, it appears to be a film that works better if one has seen multiple Godard films already. Not a good jumping in point.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 362
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 16/2/2008 12:08:22 PM   
Jasiri

Well finally saw Human Desire,I'd never read anything about it so didn't realise that like Scarlet Street it was a remake of a Jean Renoir film.Saw the mention of Emile Zola in the opening titles,this together with the train had me thinking this is familiar somehow,then I clicked it's La Bete Humaine.

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

16) Meshi (Mikio Naruse, 1951) (5)

Good to see you enjoyed it,this was your first Mikio Naruse film,right ?

quote:

quote:

I taped this based on the Radio Times giving it 5/5 but I haven't seen it yet. Is it really this bad?

I recorded this too and haven't watched it yet either,I suspect that 5/5 is generous in the extreme though but I also think Ultimo can be a little harsh sometimes. Gave the same 0/10 to Jia Zhang-ke's The World a film I really like by one of my favourite current directors.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joeluck

I am too late to start? 

No,don't see why,Ultimo Lee just started too and the more people join in the better.

Post #: 363
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 16/2/2008 1:52:06 PM   
Ultimo Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

quote:

From what I have read, it appears to be a film that works better if one has seen multiple Godard films already. Not a good jumping in point.

I've seen 2 Godard's before and i think if you like his later films you'll probably like this also. I think the majority of people won't like it, since watching it i've read through a few reviews and wished i'd read them before to prepare. Giving it 0 is probably harsh, it's shot well and looks stunning at times especially the first half B&W photography but it's too experimental and pretentious for my tastes.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri
I recorded this too and haven't watched it yet either,I suspect that 5/5 is generous in the extreme though but I also think Ultimo can be a little harsh sometimes. Gave the same 0/10 to Jia Zhang-ke's The World a film I really like by one of my favourite current directors.

Yeah i can be harsh sometimes and i react very badly to being bored during a film. Give me something that i can hate or annoys me  or something i can dismiss as trash and it probably won't get a 0/10 but boredom's a no-no

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 364
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 16/2/2008 4:47:55 PM   
Joeluck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasiri
quote:

I am too late to start? 

No,don't see why,Ultimo Lee just started too and the more people join in the better.

Alright then, my list of 34 films so far is at the top of this page.

My top 100 of 2008:
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1719477&mpage=13&key=&NID=0#1781559

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 365
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 16/2/2008 6:22:09 PM   
doncopey1

quote:

16) Meshi (Mikio Naruse, 1951) (5)

Good to see you enjoyed it,this was your first Mikio Naruse film,right ?

Yes i did i thought it was marvellous, it was like a Douglas Sirk melodrama without the cheese which is a marvellous thing. The acting was sensational, but the atmosphere was wonderfully established giving a sense of time and place in a vastly trangressing economic and social state. It was my first Naruse film but certainly not my last thanks to you and Chris for the recommendation.

Good to see you enjoyed There Will Be Blood adam its been on my mind all day, whilst its not my favourite film ever i have concluded its my favourite of the 00's edging out the EE of Return of the King which has been a task i adored the film.

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 366
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 16/2/2008 6:49:43 PM   
chris_scott01

quote:

Wings of Desire - 9.5/10
The Idiot - 9.5/10
The Red Circle - 9.5/10
Floating Weeds - 9.5/10
Sansho the Bailiff - 9/10
La Strada - 9/10
Ordet - 8/10

Wow, that's a very nice list.  I particularly like to see praise for Kurosawa's much under-rated (and unfortunately, butchered) The Idiot.  I'd like to know what you thought of it.  At least I hope it is the Kurosawa film.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to Joeluck)
Post #: 367
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 16/2/2008 8:02:25 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

Im having a hard time placing quite a few films at the moment- strangely the few films each year I cant make my mind up on have all come up at once.

Firstly the Coen's No Country For Old Men is undoubtably an impressive return to form, but a masterpiece? Ultimately it spends far too much time on the admittedly thrilling cat and mouse antics of Brolin and Bardem's characters and not enough on Lee Jones' weary sheriff for the self-concious deconstructive ending to fully work. The ending is brave though, instead of burning out its like a car crash with a crumple-zone, spreading the impact over a longer period of time replacing the mechanical destruction of the the chase and final murders with something more quiet and human. I'd like to watch the film again, this time paying closer attention to Lee Jones' character, but on first impressions its attempt to show the passing of the codes and honour of an old order seems to be lacking somewhat and sidelined in favour of brutality and heart-stopping showdowns, and its unrelenting nihilism is a bit too much to take. And what was with Harellson's entirely superfluous bounty hunter?
But the dark script laced with pitch-black deadpan humour, the three wholly different but brilliant lead performances and the assured, understated direction with a lack of trademark Coen-esque goofiness makes it one of the best films this year; and one that hopefully has the potential to improve on a further viewing.

Then theres Lola Montes and L'Argent, two films by two of my favourite directors which disappoint somewhat. Lola Montes seems to be some kind of flawed masterpiece; the circus motif is an ingenious and fittingly grotesque method of portraying the hollowness of celebrity and the attitudes of society towards strong women, but the film is constantly undermined by the lifelessness of Martine Carol's performance and a few uninvolving scenes; meaning the opportunity for trademark Ophulsian warmth and sensuality are wasted, and his light touch seems more heavy-handed and gaudy. Still, an impressive affair with a fantastic ending and two great performances from Ustinov and Walbrook as Lola Montes' admirers.

L'Argent has a great premise (Tolstoy no less) and engages for the first half, but half-way through the opaqueness of Bresson's themes and the limpid performances become hard-work and the pessimism almost overbearing. Perhaps this is one of my 'chrisscott' reactions to Bresson or I just can't hack late Bresson (I couldnt get into The Devil, Probably either).

I also must mention The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse which I was very lucky to see. Having heard a lot about Rex Ingram from Michael Powell's autobiography, it was fascinating to finally see one of his films on the big screen. Its also easy to see where Powell got his flair for florid melodrama from, as it pervades this work entirely aided by Ingram's talent for pictorial beauty and the sumptous, impressionistic camerawork by John Seitz (later to photograph Double Indemnity). The film is perhaps uneven, and the addition of a religious subtext and a rather bizarre Christ figure is rather portentious, but theres much to admire including a young Valentino in his first role as the epitome of exotic manliness and Alice Terry showing exactly why Powell practically fell in love with her on set a few years later. Its rare to see any of Ingram's films, so watching it was one of the most enjoyable experiences this year, even if it isn't the best film Ive watched.

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 368
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 16/2/2008 8:16:06 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

Oh, and nice to see Naruse being appreciated- Late Chrysanthemums is an utter masterpiece of quiet beauty, and on that film (plus two fairly good 30s films of his I caught) Im determined to seek out some more of his films. Ive heard Floating Clouds is his best, but are there any other recommendations on what to get?

Also Jasiri, I noticed youve been waiting for the MoC release of Die Nibelungen and wondered if theres anything wrong with the Kino Video version that is on Region 1. Ive found out that my library has a copy, but if its worth waiting to get an MoC copy for better quality/extra scenes then I probably will.

(in reply to TheManWithNoShame)
Post #: 369
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 16/2/2008 10:50:05 PM   
Joeluck

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris_scott01

quote:

Wings of Desire - 9.5/10
The Idiot - 9.5/10
The Red Circle - 9.5/10
Floating Weeds - 9.5/10
Sansho the Bailiff - 9/10
La Strada - 9/10
Ordet - 8/10

Wow, that's a very nice list.  I particularly like to see praise for Kurosawa's much under-rated (and unfortunately, butchered) The Idiot.  I'd like to know what you thought of it.  At least I hope it is the Kurosawa film.

Yeah, it is. Some of the earlier scenes were definitely noticably cut down, what with the wipes mid scene interrupting the action. Still, it never bothered me. I thought it was just emotionally draining, the scenes with Setsuko Hara and Mori were almost transcendental in the way they just immediately connected with each other, I could really feel the connection they had with each other as they performed so well. The cinematography, as expected, was brilliant. Like the heat in Stray Dog, the cold blizzards in The Idiot become almost a secondary character. It was great to see two of my favourite performers, Setsuko Hara and Toshiro Mifune together, Mifune was great as always (in particular during the pentultimate scene, in the background he looks like a bomb about to go off) and it was fascinating to see Hara perform as a character much more emotionally disturbed and honest than her Noriko character in the Ozu films I've seen her in, but she pulls it off completely. Her performance in The Idiot certainly rivals her perfect turn in Late Spring.

I'd rank this is my second favourite Kurosawa (behind, of course, Seven Samurai) of the ten I've seen. I ordered Dersu Uzala yesterday, I've seen all of Kurosawa's most acclaimed works so I'm moving onto the others. Has anyone seen it? The concept sounds interesting.

My top 100 of 2008:

Post #: 370
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 1:36:22 AM   
chris_scott01

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame

Ultimately it spends far too much time on the admittedly thrilling cat and mouse antics of Brolin and Bardem's characters and not enough on Lee Jones' weary sheriff for the self-concious deconstructive ending to fully work.

I know what you mean, Jones' character could have had more attention, but I'd think the pacing of the chase would have suffered. Rather than endless laments for the decaying social state of the American south-west (or any other part of America for that matter) we're presented with characters that personify those detrimental attributes. OK, there's no denying the Coens were conciously aiming for a thrilling chase, but to me it would feel like they were trying to do 2 films if they payed more attention to Jones' character and his monologues. I think the imbalanced mix of excitement and social commentary works well enough to save the film from any major flaws.
quote:

L'Argent has a great premise (Tolstoy no less) and engages for the first half, but half-way through the opaqueness of Bresson's themes and the limpid performances become hard-work and the pessimism almost overbearing. Perhaps this is one of my 'chrisscott' reactions to Bresson or I just can't hack late Bresson (I couldnt get into The Devil, Probably either).

There's light at the end of the tunnel after all
quote:

Yeah, it is. Some of the earlier scenes were definitely noticably cut down, what with the wipes mid scene interrupting the action. Still, it never bothered me. I thought it was just emotionally draining, the scenes with Setsuko Hara and Mori were almost transcendental in the way they just immediately connected with each other, I could really feel the connection they had with each other as they performed so well. The cinematography, as expected, was brilliant. Like the heat in Stray Dog, the cold blizzards in The Idiot become almost a secondary character. It was great to see two of my favourite performers, Setsuko Hara and Toshiro Mifune together, Mifune was great as always (in particular during the pentultimate scene, in the background he looks like a bomb about to go off) and it was fascinating to see Hara perform as a character much more emotionally disturbed and honest than her Noriko character in the Ozu films I've seen her in, but she pulls it off completely. Her performance in The Idiot certainly rivals her perfect turn in Late Spring

I'm so glad it's not just me who feels that way! I can think of few occasions in all the films I've seen that ranks as high as the scenes between Hara and Mori. 'Emotionally drained' is exactly how I felt, there is an intensity in their reactions that is almost unparalleled. I've been thinking about it for over a year now and I can't figure out how those scenes work so well. I've just begun to read The Idiot to shed some light on the missing scenes, I really must rewatch it again soon though. I wish the full version was found.
Dersu Uzala
was my first dissappointment after Kurosawa's acclaimed work. There are moments of brilliance as in most Kurosawa films but I did think it lacked the emotional impact it expects to deliver. Well worth a watch though and certainly not the worst Kurosawa film.

rapidite! rapidite!

Post #: 371
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 9:27:38 AM   
doncopey1

quote:

quote:

Ultimately it spends far too much time on the admittedly thrilling cat and mouse antics of Brolin and Bardem's characters and not enough on Lee Jones' weary sheriff for the self-concious deconstructive ending to fully work.

I know what you mean, Jones' character could have had more attention, but I'd think the pacing of the chase would have suffered. Rather than endless laments for the decaying social state of the American south-west (or any other part of America for that matter) we're presented with characters that personify those detrimental attributes. OK, there's no denying the Coens were conciously aiming for a thrilling chase, but to me it would feel like they were trying to do 2 films if they payed more attention to Jones' character and his monologues. I think the imbalanced mix of excitement and social commentary works well enough to save the film from any major flaws.

quote:

I think you've nailed it on the head with the 'decaying South West' comment. Jones's character appears to be the most prominent and existential reflection of the traditional Western traits dying and he can't quite get to the grips with the conflict brought to his world and if this was explored more the cat and mouse chase with Bardem and Brolin may have suffered it this was explored during this point of the film. But Man does make a valuble point but i think this point is explored in my opinion as Chris expresses in culmination of the film, but as you say Man this may dissolve with repeat viewings.

Post #: 372
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 10:44:03 AM   
Jasiri

quote:

Oh, and nice to see Naruse being appreciated- Late Chrysanthemums is an utter masterpiece of quiet beauty, and on that film (plus two fairly good 30s films of his I caught) Im determined to seek out some more of his films. Ive heard Floating Clouds is his best, but are there any other recommendations on what to get?

Also Jasiri, I noticed youve been waiting for the MoC release of Die Nibelungen and wondered if theres anything wrong with the Kino Video version that is on Region 1. Ive found out that my library has a copy, but if its worth waiting to get an MoC copy for better quality/extra scenes then I probably will.

With Naruse my recomendation would be just grab whatever you can,.Flowing is my favourite so far and brings together an amazing cast,but When a Woman Ascends the Stairs,Repast and Sound of the Mountain are all excellent too.Haven't watched Floating Clouds yet but as you say it has a big reputation.

As far as I know the Kino disc of Die Nibelungen is ok,I'm just holding out for the MoC because it's coming from a newer, presumably improved restoration and I like to support the label.If you were buying it I'd say hold on but if you just want to see it you'd be as well with the Kino,the MoC might still be some way off,the lastest news was the Murnau Foundation are still working on the restoration.

quote:

I'm so glad it's not just me who feels that way! I can think of few occasions in all the films I've seen that ranks as high as the scenes between Hara and Mori. 'Emotionally drained' is exactly how I felt, there is an intensity in their reactions that is almost unparalleled. I've been thinking about it for over a year now and I can't figure out how those scenes work so well. I've just begun to read The Idiot to shed some light on the missing scenes, I really must rewatch it again soon though. I wish the full version was found.
Dersu Uzala
was my first dissappointment after Kurosawa's acclaimed work. There are moments of brilliance as in most Kurosawa films but I did think it lacked the emotional impact it expects to deliver. Well worth a watch though and certainly not the worst Kurosawa film.

I really need to watch The Idiot again,and try to be fairer with it and just see it  for the film itself.My first viewing was clouded by comparing it to the novel and conflicting expectations.I knew that Shochiku had butchered it,cutting around 100 minutes but I couldn't help but be excited by the prospect of one of my favourite directors adapting a novel by my and his favourite author.
In comparison it suffers from the same problem as most Dostoevsky adapations,you can capture the essence of the story but it's practically impossible to capture the psychological depth of his writing.Perhaps the biggest problem Kurosawa had was he was so close to the source material that he ends up almost trying to film the novel rather than adapt it.All that said are some fantastic scenes and despite the problems caused by so much material being cut there's still a lot to like about it.With regards to the full version Chris,I don't think we'll ever see it,seems very likely that the footage was destroyed.Kurosawa apparently went back to Shochiku at some later point to look for it but couldn't find it.

I agree with Chris about Dersu Uzala,certainly worth seeing for anybody into Kurosawa's films but it's not a great film.Kurosawa readily admitted that he would often put too much of himself into the writing so it was better when he had the balance of working with others.That's very evident in Dersu Uzala,for me it's overly simplistic and didactic.

Post #: 373
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 11:59:58 AM   
Gram123

My latest entry:

11)  Flags of our Fathers  (Clint Eastwood, USA, 2006) - 6.5

My expectations weren't exactly sky high, but I was still a little disappointed by this one. Here's hoping Iwo Jima is indeed better...

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 374
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 2:04:47 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Latest entries -

National Treasure: Book of Secrets - 62%
4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days - 94%

Porco Rosso - ****

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 375
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 2:27:38 PM   
jamesbondguy

Haven't updated for a while, as I haven't watched very much recently, due to my visit to Berlin. I could hardly have picked a worse return- Niagra, starring Joseph Cotten and Marilyn Monroe. Dear god, that was awful. AWFUL. My brain's still numb from the experience. Easily the worst film I have seen from the two stars, and easily the worst film noir I have seen. It drops neatly into the bottom five for this year.

Next Up: Au Hasard Balthazar

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 376
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 2:36:34 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

You still havent updated though!

Post #: 377
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 2:44:54 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

Just about too....

EDIT: Ok, I guess the film you want to know about is The Green Ray. I really liked it- maybe the best Rohmer film I so far seen- and that's saying something, as I didn't rate any of them below 4/5. I found it a very engaging film, with a wonderful screenplay and performances. A genuinely touching film, and it demonstrates Rohmer's superb eye for human nature. I liked it a lot.

< Message edited by jamesbondguy -- 17/2/2008 2:52:44 PM >

Post #: 378
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 2:55:40 PM   
Joeluck

Added Scenes from a Marriage - 9/10

I've seen 6 Bergman's now, and I'd rank it fifth.

My top 100 of 2008:

Post #: 379
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 3:00:08 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

quote:

Just about too....

EDIT: Ok, I guess the film you want to know about is The Green Ray. I really liked it- maybe the best Rohmer film I so far seen- and that's saying something, as I didn't rate any of them below 4/5. I found it a very engaging film, with a wonderful screenplay and performances. A genuinely touching film, and it demonstrates Rohmer's superb eye for human nature. I liked it a lot.

Nice to hear it. Obviously I would have put it higher, but I entirely agree with your points. Rohmer's eye for the nuances of relationships, human nature and his unique characters rank up there with Ozu; a director I think he shares quite a lot with (something you wouldn't expect from a New Wave director!). Its rare to find a director who can build up such love for his characters so that even the subtlest of plot movements or gestures can be so profound, but Rohmer is certainly one of them.

Post #: 380
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 3:06:52 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Good to see you enjoyed There Will Be Blood adam its been on my mind all day, whilst its not my favourite film ever i have concluded its my favourite of the 00's edging out the EE of Return of the King which has been a task i adored the film.

yes, its been on my mind all weekend, its definately my favourite of the 00's, but itl be interesting to see how it fares alongside my longstanding favourite films (pierrot le fou/goodfellas/shadows etc). definately cant wait for this one on dvd, the opening 20 mins or so just blew me away.

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 381
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 3:13:55 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just about too....

Nice to hear it. Obviously I would have put it higher, but I entirely agree with your points. Rohmer's eye for the nuances of relationships, human nature and his unique characters rank up there with Ozu; a director I think he shares quite a lot with (something you wouldn't expect from a New Wave director!). Its rare to find a director who can build up such love for his characters so that even the subtlest of plot movements or gestures can be so profound, but Rohmer is certainly one of them.

That's a great description of him- certainly a special director. The next Rohmer films I'm going to watch will be The Good Marriage, An Autumn's Tale,  A Winter's Tale and A Full Moon in Paris. After that will, hopefully, be the film I've heard described as his finest film, Claire's Knee. Looking forward to them.

Post #: 382
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 4:19:23 PM   
DCMaximo

quote:

BTW:  DCMaximo loving the Hayabusa av

Cheers mate, I'm a big fan of the man and love the mask, my favourite in all of puroresu.

Just added my 49th film of the year, Intolerable Cruelty (#30, 7/10) which, although not as good as many other films in the Coen's back catalogue, is still pretty good, an enjoyable yet unpredictable rom-com. Great performance by George Clooney in it too.

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 383
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 4:47:10 PM   
impqueen

Latest Entries into the Top 50

#7 It's a Wonderful Life (Capra, 1946)
#8 There Will Be Blood (Anderson, 2007)  

#17 Sherlock Jr (Keaton, 1924)

#20 The Philadelphia Story (Cukor, 1940)
#21 The Last Picture Show (Bogdanovich, 1971)
#23 Ghostbusters (Reitman, 1984)

#30 Winchester '73 (Mann, 1950)
#36 Shenandoah (McLaglen, 1965)
#38 The Darjeeling Limited (Anderson, 2007)

#44 Walk the Line (Mangold, 2005)

< Message edited by impqueen -- 17/2/2008 7:49:17 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 384
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 17/2/2008 5:00:47 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just about too....

That's a great description of him- certainly a special director. The next Rohmer films I'm going to watch will be The Good Marriage, An Autumn's Tale,  A Winter's Tale and A Full Moon in Paris. After that will, hopefully, be the film I've heard described as his finest film, Claire's Knee. Looking forward to them.

I just watched Claire's Knee last week and really enjoyed it.I need to see more of Rohmer the only other I've seen is The Green Ray.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

My latest entry:

11)  Flags of our Fathers  (Clint Eastwood, USA, 2006) - 6.5

My expectations weren't exactly sky high, but I was still a little disappointed by this one. Here's hoping Iwo Jima is indeed better...

Gram,what page is your list on ?

Never mind I just saw your sig.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 17/2/2008 5:06:21 PM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 385
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 18/2/2008 12:04:53 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

Breathless - 3/10

shocking!

any particular reason for your dislike? perhaps doncopey and yourself could start a gang of breathless haters!

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 18/2/2008 12:05:45 AM >

(in reply to Joeluck)
Post #: 386
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 18/2/2008 1:05:11 AM   
Joeluck

I thought it was insubstantial, uncommunicative and bland. Apparently Godard intended it to be so shallow, but that doesn't make it any finer an achievement. I wouldn't mind the lack of substance or the jarring experimental style if the main characters were mildly likable, but sadly I hated both of them.

My top 100 of 2008:

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 387
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 18/2/2008 1:27:42 AM   
doncopey1

quote:

I thought it was insubstantial, uncommunicative and bland. Apparently Godard intended it to be so shallow, but that doesn't make it any finer an achievement. I wouldn't mind the lack of substance or the jarring experimental style if the main characters were mildly likable, but sadly I hated both of them.

my exact sentiments and the fact Godard would even refer his so called best achievement as intentional experiment of shallowness is an indication to overhyped body of work and the arrogance of him as a person. I mean he had the cheek to refer to Spielberg as mediocre and watching Duel now it surpasses Godards better work, cheeky git.

(in reply to Joeluck)
Post #: 388
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 18/2/2008 2:09:26 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

my exact sentiments and the fact Godard would even refer his so called best achievement as intentional experiment of shallowness is an indication to overhyped body of work and the arrogance of him as a person. I mean he had the cheek to refer to Spielberg as mediocre and watching Duel now it surpasses Godards better work, cheeky git.

I've just caught the last half hour of Duel. I'd forgotten just how superbly tense it is. When Weaver's car is overheating and he's going up the hill, I just want to climb inside the TV and give him a push  If I'd seen the whole thing it would have rocketed to the top spot of my list this year.

And since it was mentioned, I also dislike Breathless!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 389
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 - 18/2/2008 8:08:43 AM   
KnightofZyryab

Slandering Godard ? jamesbondguy won't be happy ...

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2008 Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI