Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
[Poll]

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Guilty
  34% (139)
Not Guilty
  65% (266)

Total Votes : 405

(last vote on : 26/5/2014 11:56:04 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 17/9/2010 2:08:19 PM   
gazpop

Hmmm. Very hard to express my opinion without fear of repetition. We shouldn't be talking up or down the ending as much as we are because after what we went through in the movie, the emotion and soul-searching S+S were asking us to do, the ride they took us on, there was never ever gonna be an easy way to finish it. After the tragedy/wonder of his life it was always leading up to show us the futility, the loneliness, the search for love that S+S managed to actually convey with how the film ended. I agree that maybe leaving him on the bottom of the sea for however long it takes for him to go fzzzttt might have been as acceptable, but with the ending we got, we were able to appreciate (OMG) 2000 years of solitude and questing/waiting for his mother (OMG, I'm gonna cry again, like an earlier poster) and also that he got his wish. And that his torture, whether he realised it or not, was finally about to be ended. The robots giving him this was a sweet irony in itself.
Sometimes in life, searching for something is what keeps hope alive. The realisation of something can be a real bummer.
So, in summary, Not Guilty. Not by a long shot. I think a lot of the haters just want everything spelled out for them. Guessing they didn't like Donnie Darko or Lost in Translation either.

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 121
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 18/9/2010 1:25:10 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarcE

I have a couple of issues with this film. Firstly the main thing that is on my mind is what was Kubrick's original vision for the film and did Speilberg's spin on it do the original vision justice? From watching other Kubrick films I imagine a Kubrick-Speilberg produced film may have been a lot darker and gritty. I don't know why but Teddy had Kubrick wrtten all over him!

My other issue was the ending. I think the term WTF is quite fitting here! Everything was fine, robot abandoned, community of unwanted robots hunted to be used in a series of events for the publics entertainment. Next thing we're under water and some aliens arrive and grant the wish of being with his mother for eternity. The whole ending just left me deflated.

they're not aliens

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 122
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 19/9/2010 9:03:57 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

quote:

I have a couple of issues with this film. Firstly the main thing that is on my mind is what was Kubrick's original vision for the film and did Speilberg's spin on it do the original vision justice? From watching other Kubrick films I imagine a Kubrick-Speilberg produced film may have been a lot darker and gritty. I don't know why but Teddy had Kubrick wrtten all over him!

My other issue was the ending. I think the term WTF is quite fitting here! Everything was fine, robot abandoned, community of unwanted robots hunted to be used in a series of events for the publics entertainment. Next thing we're under water and some aliens arrive and grant the wish of being with his mother for eternity. The whole ending just left me deflated.

they're not aliens

Also thats not what the ending is about at all.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 123
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 24/11/2010 11:30:36 AM   
Letattz

it's a good film, but not great...and from the minds of those two legends, it should really have been incredible.

Charlie, give your mother a kiss, or I'll kick your teeth in.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 124
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 10/1/2011 8:31:33 PM   
hampstead bandit

This is one of my favourite Sci-Fi films simply because...its brilliant on many levels and beautifully made with a story that stretches across time, with the demise of the human race

and I have no shame in admitting it makes me cry like a baby whenever I see the ending, where his Mother is revived for a day

incredible film, and so underrated

(in reply to Letattz)
Post #: 125
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 26/1/2011 4:07:25 PM   
keithyt1999

Not guilty. I'm a soppy old git but I love it despite it being an emotional watch. I never want it to end, the uncontrollable passing of time, yearning for that impossible magical wish and one moment with those already gone. The effects are superb, acting is great. And it has Teddy.

None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!

(in reply to general_potatoface)
Post #: 126
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 1/4/2011 7:07:35 AM   
TheSomnambulist

It's not my favourite film and I felt it ended just where it should have started, but I can't see it being guilty of crimes against cinema. So a not guilty.

"Well.... Here I am...."

(in reply to keithyt1999)
Post #: 127
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 19/10/2011 7:28:04 PM   
Herr Schnitzel

It's the film that made me have faith in Spielberg again. It's also the very rare big budget science fiction film that is genuinely about ideas.

I'd say that anybody who says that the film should have ended with David buried under the ferries wheel, simply doesn't seem to understand what the film is about and the cruelly ironic pay off that's ahead. Like Pinocchio David yearns to be human, in this case so his mother can love him. This finally happens by the end when he is surrounded by hyper advanced robots and when he is the most human thing left on earth. The cruel irony of that is that he could only become the most human thing on earth by humanity itself having died out. The film is also a variation on Frankenstein and about the moral implication of man creating life and then deserting it. The idea to create a machine whose only function is to love, a love that doesn't fade and heal like human love, but one that is programmed to be never ending, so the creature will pursue the object of his affection literally to the end of the world, is powerful, sad, cruel, poetic and deeply scary. To get this, you really need David at the end of the world and you need all humans dead.

(in reply to TheSomnambulist)
Post #: 128
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 20/10/2011 1:26:16 AM   
Emyr Thy King

Very well put Herr Schnitzel

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Herr Schnitzel)
Post #: 129
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 20/10/2011 3:50:00 PM   
Buddy Ackerman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Herr Schnitzel

It's the film that made me have faith in Spielberg again. It's also the very rare big budget science fiction film that is genuinely about ideas.

I'd say that anybody who says that the film should have ended with David buried under the ferries wheel, simply doesn't seem to understand what the film is about and the cruelly ironic pay off that's ahead. Like Pinocchio David yearns to be human, in this case so his mother can love him. This finally happens by the end when he is surrounded by hyper advanced robots and when he is the most human thing left on earth. The cruel irony of that is that he could only become the most human thing on earth by humanity itself having died out. The film is also a variation on Frankenstein and about the moral implication of man creating life and then deserting it. The idea to create a machine whose only function is to love, a love that doesn't fade and heal like human love, but one that is programmed to be never ending, so the creature will pursue the object of his affection literally to the end of the world, is powerful, sad, cruel, poetic and deeply scary. To get this, you really need David at the end of the world and you need all humans dead.

Spot on. Really well done with that summary.

"If you were in my toilet bowl, I wouldn't bother flushing it. My bathmat means more to me than you!"

(in reply to Herr Schnitzel)
Post #: 130
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 27/10/2011 4:18:33 PM   
lukeyboy

Not even close to guilty. It's a brilliant film from start to finish. I don't watch it that often because as well as being brilliant it's also totally heartbreaking and a film that stays with you for days after the viewing. Also - I loved the bitter-sweet ending and think it would've really detracted from the film had they ended it earlier (underwater as some people have mentioned).

Most definitely not guilty!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 131
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 29/10/2011 11:33:53 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

quote:

they're not aliens

They sure as hell looked like aliens, esp. on my first viewing! The large head, slender bodies, telepathic link etc. Only when i watched it a second time did I go ''oh!! They're freakin' robots''!

A.I is a beautifully directed, achingly poignant, visually stunning piece of science fiction film-making from Steven Spielberg. It's design screams Kubrick, from the cold distant look and feel of the film via Janusz Kaminski's beautiful camera work and lighting, to the Man-hatten/ weeping lion set piece which is simply stunning, pure science fiction.

And the design of Rouge City, the shot of the Kubrickesque head where our protagonists go through (the 'aaahhh' scene!). And the ending? I too was puzzled by it. But it works. The ending IS Kubrick. A perfect love letter to Kubrick - one of cinema's greatest auteurs, by one of cinema's greatest living auteur.

Guilty? You must be joking!

A.I is an awesome, intelligent, thoughtful, moving, science fiction story telling at its most best!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 14/9/2012 4:38:26 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 132
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 1/12/2011 10:49:46 AM   
Funkyrae

The only thing this film is guilty of is putting shares of Kleenex through the roof. I don't know anyone who can make it all the way through to the credits without welling up at least once.

I honestly feel this film is an absolute masterpiece. It's visually incredible as well as having so much about it that makes you genuinely feel remorse. These are robots, you're not meant to feel anything towards them, but you do.

Despite owning it on DVD, I can't face watching it because I know exactly what reaction I will have.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 133
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 2/12/2011 10:44:23 AM   
matty_b

I think it's flawed, but has so many good things in it, I can't dimiss it completely.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 134
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 8/12/2011 11:36:16 PM   
ArkadyKasei

My first thought was guilty.
Its shot well, the acting is great, and the special effects are spot on, but all this emotion we are supposed to be feeling.....for a robot.....I dunno. It just felt empty to me.
After reading the above from Herr Schnitzel, I may have to watch it again to see if I can "lock in" to that emotion.
Maybe I'm just a heartless basterd.

Chicken hon-a-chick-a-chick hole-a-hubba
Hey fried chuck-a-lucka wanna jubba

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 135
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 16/1/2012 10:58:37 PM   
saraphonics

haley joel osment was great in it... and teddy was the bomb. 

Hey. Get the fuck off her. That's my ex-girlfriend's monkey.

(in reply to ArkadyKasei)
Post #: 136
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 24/1/2012 3:50:45 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Guilty: 33% (125)
Not Guily 66% (245)

Hmm,never had a problem with the film myself.
Sure its 'mushy' in alot of places and does play obvious in which characters to love and hate/deslike.
I thought the script was solid and the acting was of a high standard,especially with Jude Law who grew into the film.

Certaintly not Spielbergs worst,not by a long stretch.

(in reply to saraphonics)
Post #: 137
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 2/2/2012 5:54:01 PM   
gazpop

Not one of Spielberg's worst, no. Actually maybe one of his very best!! I must try to watch ET again to see if I feel anything like what I did when the whole village crammed into our living room to watch it on Betamax. I have heard people say it doesn't hold up. Will have to see.

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 138
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 18/2/2012 11:03:57 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

Not one of Spielberg's worst, no. Actually maybe one of his very best!! I must try to watch ET again to see if I feel anything like what I did when the whole village crammed into our living room to watch it on Betamax. I have heard people say it doesn't hold up. Will have to see.

Those people don't know what they are talking about Gaz

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 139
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 18/2/2012 1:00:30 PM   
gazpop

They very rarely do Jimmer, they very rarely do. I'm really looking forward to a re-watch actually. My friend next to me is saying Super8 is basically the same. Hey ho.....

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 140
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 18/2/2012 1:26:38 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

They very rarely do Jimmer, they very rarely do. I'm really looking forward to a re-watch actually. My friend next to me is saying Super8 is basically the same. Hey ho.....

Super 8 is not the same, yes there are transversive elements engrained into the sub structure of the core, but the themes outlay beyond each other. S8 is a beautiful film in it's own right. JJ clearly benefitted from SS's views and input but as the extras indicate there is sound reason for that. Both briliant for different reasons.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 141
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 19/2/2012 12:40:37 AM   
paul_ie86

Sorry Jim, after Super 8 is not the same I got lost for that first sentence. Could you explain what you mean? I'm probably just being a bit thick.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 142
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 19/2/2012 11:09:20 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

Sorry Jim, after Super 8 is not the same I got lost for that first sentence. Could you explain what you mean? I'm probably just being a bit thick.

Similar themes, tacked from a different perspective

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 143
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 1/3/2012 1:38:36 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

Jim, there's no use. You may as well be speaking to a mannequin.

"Awight Powle! On the 'ead saahn! Give it a one-two one-two!"

I actually haven't seen the film so perhaps I'm guilty. But doesn't it have loose similarities with "Bicentennial Man"?

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 1/3/2012 3:12:43 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 144
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 1/3/2012 2:46:44 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

Jim, there's no use. You may as well be speaking to a mannequin.

"Awight Powle! On the 'ead saahn! Give it a one-two a one-two!"

I actually haven't seen the film so perhaps I'm guilty. But doesn't it have loose similarities with "Bicentennial Man"?

No, thank heavens Em

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 145
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 1/3/2012 3:12:10 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Forgive me, my 'memory' isn't what it used to be, I think it's corrupt.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 146
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 18/3/2012 8:38:49 PM   
jediyodathefourth

beautiful film restored my faith in cinema after a dire 2001 not guilty

It tells me that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try reading books instead of burning them.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 147
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 11/9/2012 1:57:23 PM   
film man aidy

Not Guilty. Loved it, worthy of it's ***** Empire rating. As good as any Kubrick/Spielberg hybrid could hope to be. Bit of quality adult sci-fi.

Empire *****
Me *****

(in reply to jediyodathefourth)
Post #: 148
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 19/9/2012 6:18:18 PM   
vad3r

Not guilty at all. One of the 'Bergs best. Visually stunning, beautiful and with strong performances by all.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 149
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 4/10/2012 3:41:46 AM   
siegfried

Until Savages came along, it's the only film I ever walked out on.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI