Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Guilty
  34% (141)
Not Guilty
  65% (267)

Total Votes : 408

(last vote on : 1/11/2014 9:51:37 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 8/1/2008 10:19:33 AM   
Peter A. Quinn

I had the weirdest feeling when watching this film that Spielberg was truly channelling the spirit of Kubrick when he made this. An underrated, extremely bittersweet fable with an ending that gives us the rare luxury of self-interpretation. So superior to E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, I honestly regret missing this one on the big screen.
So not guilty.

< Message edited by Peter A. Quinn -- 8/1/2008 10:20:12 AM >

This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face.

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 31
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 8/1/2008 5:16:32 PM   
SamuelFPalmer

Any film that makes me want to throw up for any reason other than explicit gore or me being stoned gets a GUILTY!

"Look at this place. The house number is spelled out with letters."

"Get used to it, honey. From now on we'll be spelling everything with letters."

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 32
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 11/1/2008 9:00:46 AM   
Ranting Fool

Blue Fairy Please Make Me A Real Boy... Blue Fairy Please Make Me A Real Boy... Blue Fairy Please Make Me A Real Boy... Blue Fairy Please Make Me A Real Boy... Blue Fairy Please Make Me A Real Boy... Blue Fairy Please Make Me A Real Boy... Blue Fairy Please Make Me A Real Boy... Blue Fairy Please Make Me A Real Boy...

Guilty as charged.

(in reply to SamuelFPalmer)
Post #: 33
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 15/1/2008 4:16:36 PM   
fundude365

When I discovered that A.I. was the movie on trial, I barely had to read the cases for the prosecution/defence to convince me either way. I still read the article as I hate being accused of Bigotry and found that my pet hates were every one that the prosecution picked up on, especially the plodding insult to the senses loosely referred to as the plot which moves so slowly that I'm surprised I didn't fall asleep and make up my own ending.

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 34
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 15/1/2008 4:38:12 PM   
dracovir

Strong of story, strong of heart, the narrative bounds along with confidence at an interchangeable pace that suits the relevent section of the tale being told, and is even confident enough to stoop to a few dirrrty references while not besmirching itself.  And that last observation I can't say with any degree of honesty to ever seeing in any other film.

It works on a great many levels, but this isn't the type of film to sit back, relaxe and let it wash over you - it's a refreshingly hard sci fi tale that demands, and quite frankly deserves some deep thought and commentary.  I remember Empire's inital review verdict was 'flawed genious' but I think the only flaw lay in how far before it's time; there are some views expressed on this thread that I ahd never considered before, but I am now irreconcilably in agreement with.

Although I can't agree with the comments about sentimentality - the first act is too sterile for it to take root; the middle act delves into a decrepidation of civilisation in a very Blade Runner manner and the two final acts - David meets his maker, and then after taking a dip in the floodwaters there are some cold harsh moments; from David's reaction to the concept that he is not unique like Real Boys are, and as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, the notion of artifical love that David can believe is so real.

Although I still don't want to consider the possibilty that they shut him down for good afterwards.  That would scar me for life.

By the way:  Yes the future mecha looked a tad xenological, but 1) how can we possibly debate how AI built/birthed by AI for countless generations will look,and 2) pay some attention to the subtitles folks!  Their talk of real people is such a dead giveaway, as well as the strangely familiar-yet not natural technology on display at the excavation site (like the transport thing, reminded me of Tron).

Oh, and Not Guilty.

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 35
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 15/1/2008 4:43:16 PM   
dracovir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter A. Quinn

I had the weirdest feeling when watching this film that Spielberg was truly channelling the spirit of Kubrick when he made this. An underrated, extremely bittersweet fable with an ending that gives us the rare luxury of self-interpretation. So superior to E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, I honestly regret missing this one on the big screen.
So not guilty.

In many ways I see AI as being Spielberg's only true spiritual successor (a conceptual sequel maybe?) to ET - and not just in the title format.  And that is another film that many people see as being loaded with sentimentality, which I don't.  I always saw an invitation to emphasize with both Eliot and ET, same as with David and the mother.

But as long as Speilberg doesnt mutilate AI on its 25th anniversary as he did to his earlier masterpiece I'll still love it.

(in reply to Peter A. Quinn)
Post #: 36
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 15/1/2008 6:04:00 PM   
rsman26

This was a horrible film, not because of what it is, but because of what it could have been, its plot was all over the place, and the ending was maddeningly unfulfilling, completly anti climatic.

< Message edited by rsman26 -- 15/1/2008 6:05:13 PM >

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 37
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 15/1/2008 6:15:43 PM   
pettsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter A. Quinn

So not guilty.

I dragged my partner at the time to go and see it at the cinema.  I don't think he ever got over it and hated me forever, but the scene where they enter Rouge City was worth it alone.  Superb and a resounding Not Guilty from me.  Must watch it again.

(in reply to Peter A. Quinn)
Post #: 38
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 16/1/2008 2:05:44 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

this is the only film thats had me close to tears. (i was like 8 when i watched titanic - i felt so embaressed when my brother came into the room and caught a tear down my cheek) but this one i watched when i was maturer - and those were genuine nearly tears.

but i wudda thought - wudnt be more painful to lose something again rather than losing it in the first place.

< Message edited by Sumintelligentguy -- 3/2/2008 8:26:09 PM >

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to pettsy)
Post #: 39
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 17/1/2008 9:00:07 PM   
the sangypange

im watching it at the moment and it has dated really well, its absolutely brilliant, but i havent got to the end yet so i may change my mind

What are you doing in my tent?
Im Listening to records

check out the Pange's 10 album covers
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2212151

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 40
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 17/1/2008 9:08:06 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: the sangypange

im watching it at the moment and it has dated really well, its absolutely brilliant, but i havent got to the end yet so i may change my mind

I'm watching it too, the first two thirds are brilliant.

Visually, AI is something very special.

(in reply to the sangypange)
Post #: 41
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 17/1/2008 10:16:29 PM   
the sangypange

im going to agree with ya, the frist two thirds are something special, the ending is not as bad as some may like you to think but it doesnt hold up with the rest of the film

What are you doing in my tent?
Im Listening to records

check out the Pange's 10 album covers
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2212151

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 42
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 20/1/2008 7:49:27 PM   
Sober

Absolutely loved this movie - the film was just so magical and told us that no matter how hard we all try, our dreams can come true. Kudos to Spielberg and Kubrick. Stunning film.

Matured for years and imported, Into my glass you poured it

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 43
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 20/1/2008 7:52:30 PM   
curve

They ended the film in the wrong place. It should have ended when he finally thought he had found the blue fairy.

But not guilty at all.

There is no tomorrow...

(in reply to Sober)
Post #: 44
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 24/1/2008 5:35:55 PM   
PROTOZOA

Absolutely, completely and utterly not guilty.

It had good pacing and visual talent. Over sentimental at times (especially at the flesh fair) and the ending was ridiculous (however I do think that Stanley could have made that work), but it's not a crime against cinema. Compared with the rest of the cack on the market, this is a good movie.

Based on some of the comments about the ending, I might try and watch the movie again if I get the chance...

< Message edited by PROTOZOA -- 24/1/2008 5:52:22 PM >

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 45
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 26/1/2008 6:16:38 PM   
Tech_Noir

I want to say not guilty because I honestly loved the first two thirds but also it makes the ending all the more painful. It's frustratingly unnecessary, ruining what could have been a perfect science fiction film, and, sorry, those future Mechs did look like aliens.

Ambiguity is always good when done right but this was just a mistake in the design that's distracting.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 27/1/2008 7:14:09 PM >

(in reply to PROTOZOA)
Post #: 46
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 26/1/2008 11:04:47 PM   
dracovir

It's fine to see them as aliens without the projected tv-type images reversed on their 'faces', however they always seemed to me from the first go that they were mecha trying to imitiate the human form, as the earliest mecha were based on humans that we saw populating the first two thirds.  Although using physical contact to download the data from one another seems a little redundant now that we have more wireless and bluetooth.

I also think that the build - you can't see it in that picture except for the neck, but their limbs are super thin - so thin that it would be too difficult to believe that it could be a living organism.  Of course, I've never met an alien so I don't know if any life could exist like that.  They are also kinda see-through, and there's no signs of living tissue (even deep-sea creatures have visible moving sloshy bits).

Maybe they needed a Max Headroom type voice instead of Sir Ben Kingsley to truly convince? 

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 47
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 3/2/2008 5:11:13 PM   
BobM70

Not guilty. It's one of those films that, despite a lot of faults, keeps sticking with you. I have seen it two times and it's one of those films you still remember a lot of scenes from. It is a strange, moving and very creative film which is much more profound than it looks at first glimpse. Definitely Not Guilty.

Bob

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 48
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 8/2/2008 2:32:07 PM   
white mage

Not Guilty. I've only saw this moive, once when it was on tv but it blow me away. I think it could be one of the best sci-fi film, besides the Alien films. Really weird story, great acting and very memorable.

We do not write the songs, we live them

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 49
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 28/2/2008 10:03:39 AM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: curve

They ended the film in the wrong place. It should have ended when he finally thought he had found the blue fairy.

But not guilty at all.

There was a documentary on TCM the other night about Spielberg. He spoke about AI and how people were always criticising him for not ending the film at the bottom of the ocean.
He said people presume he tagged on the ending after that but that in fact Kubrick always wanted the film to end in the distant future with robots having evolved afte humanity has become extinct.
To be fair when I saw the film first I thought they were aliens and it wasn't until I read more about the film that it dawned on me they were robots which made an awful lot more sense.
Not nearly guilty though, chock full of great ideas and genuine emotion.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to curve)
Post #: 50
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 28/2/2008 3:26:33 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: curve

But not guilty at all.

There was a documentary on TCM the other night about Spielberg. He spoke about AI and how people were always criticising him for not ending the film at the bottom of the ocean.
He said people presume he tagged on the ending after that but that in fact Kubrick always wanted the film to end in the distant future with robots having evolved afte humanity has become extinct.

I saw that too - though I always thought the jump forward  and humanity's extinction was Kubrick's idea - obviously the fairy tale nature of the rest of the ending would seem very Spielbergian to critcs given that Spielberg directed it, but I definitely think that had Kubrick made it,

a) It wouldn't be that different as Kubrick inserted the fairytale elements into the story in the first place, and
b) Everyone would be going "wow, that was brilliant!".

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 51
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 28/2/2008 3:56:35 PM   
The Hooded Man

On a slightly different note did you know they were planning on making teddy replica toys but realised that would not have been in keeping with the film's mature tone.
I want one!!!!!!!!!

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 52
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 1/3/2008 4:16:17 AM   
siegfried

I went with a friend to see it.
After about 45 minutes, I said, "You know, I really can't take any more of this shit."
He said "I wish you'd said that about half an hour ago."
So we left.
I don't know what happened after that, how the story ended, and quite frankly I don't give a rat's arse.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 53
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 4/3/2008 5:58:45 PM   
olyman

This film is horrible, with corny, unbelievable science, pathetic sentimentality and 60 too many minutes.  Haley Joel Osment is creepy and irritating (whispering doesn't equal good acting) and Jude Law is just ridiculous.

Hate it.

Guilty.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 54
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 16/3/2008 9:50:04 PM   
cdjwfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: olyman

This film is horrible, with corny, unbelievable science, pathetic sentimentality and 60 too many minutes.  Haley Joel Osment is creepy and irritating (whispering doesn't equal good acting) and Jude Law is just ridiculous.

Hate it.

Guilty.

'60 too many minutes' doesn't make any sense. It's '60 minutes too many'. If you're going to insult Spielberg, at least do so in proper English.
Which is beside the point. A.I., while not his best film, is still nothing to be dismissed. Admittedly, HJO is creepy and I don't like him as an actor at all. But his inability to act helps you to accept that he is a robot, funnily enough. Perhaps it's Spielberg's talent for directing children. If it is the future, any science is believable and as for sentimentality, who doesn't love their mother, robot or not?
As it is a Kubrick concept, it's bound to be slightly weird, so I ask you, had he been alive to direct it would it be as controversial? I think not.

< Message edited by cdjwfan -- 16/3/2008 9:53:39 PM >

He's got a two-day headstart on you, which is more than he needs. Brody's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom. He'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the Grail already.

(in reply to olyman)
Post #: 55
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 16/3/2008 9:52:26 PM   
cdjwfan

Whoops. Accidentally quoted myself as well, only meant to quote the nonsense above it.

He's got a two-day headstart on you, which is more than he needs. Brody's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom. He'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the Grail already.

(in reply to cdjwfan)
Post #: 56
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 16/3/2008 10:42:11 PM   
olyman

I apologise for my crappy English.

(in reply to cdjwfan)
Post #: 57
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 17/3/2008 8:34:51 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: cdjwfan

Whoops. Accidentally quoted myself as well, only meant to quote the nonsense above it.

If you're going to criticise others' use of English, perhaps you should take a few lessons in how to construct a proper sentence yourself.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to cdjwfan)
Post #: 58
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 17/3/2008 10:22:46 AM   
firesidebenny

2001-Blade Runner-The Matrix- A.I.

I think I've made my point

Four peshwari naans? That's insane!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 59
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 8/4/2008 5:01:12 PM   
general_potatoface

I vote guilty cos so many of the arguments made in its favour rang so very hollow when I read them in the magazine.

David, frankly, as a Robot programmed to act like a child is an idiot obsessive simpleton and those future Robots should have been disgusted that they came from a piece of crap like him. 

(in reply to firesidebenny)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI