Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> A.I. Artificial Intelligence Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Guilty
  34% (141)
Not Guilty
  65% (267)

Total Votes : 408

(last vote on : 1/11/2014 9:51:37 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 27/12/2007 11:29:10 AM   
Amar Vijay

Is Spielberg's sci-fi spectacular guilty of crimes against cinema? Read the prosecution and defence in the new issue of Empire and have your say!
Post #: 1
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 27/12/2007 2:20:50 PM   
Wilbert

Definitely not guilty. It may have gone on twenty minutes too long, passing by a more obvious ending in the process (David finding the Blue Fairy) but it is a great film.

The only element I don't really like is Brendan Gleesons character. He just chews up the scenery too much. Apart from that it is a great movie.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 2
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 27/12/2007 3:16:53 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

If I find some supposedly learned journalist thinks the ending was Spielberg's idea in this issue's pages, I will scream.

Anyway, after Munich AI is Spielberg's best film this decade.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 3
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 27/12/2007 7:03:55 PM   
Tech_Noir

Loved the Flesh Fair sequence but I think the film lost it when Robin Williams' CGI wizard thing showed up.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 4
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 27/12/2007 7:12:34 PM   
Lightfoot

Quite possibly the dullest film I've ever seen. Moments of flair, to be sure, but never engaging and always feeling pointless.

Guilty.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 5
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 27/12/2007 7:14:44 PM   
DanCurley

Far and away the most appalling film Spielberg has ever made - I wanted to do a flying kick into my TV halfway through it. There's something so damn sliverly and oily about the atmosphere and artificial love idea. And the end was without doubt the most hateful thing ever put on film when them unspeakably shit robots that looked like aliens started getting old hair on the go.

Cast AI into the fires of hades!

< Message edited by DanCurley -- 27/12/2007 7:15:31 PM >

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 6
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 27/12/2007 9:04:56 PM   
Jar Jar Gabor

One of the richest and most philosophically complex films to come out of Hollywood in, well, ever. Just as one would expect coming from the mind of Stanley Kubrick and the hands of Steven Spielberg. The perfect tribute to a great director from a great director.

It's at times strange, maddening, challenging and baffling yet always visually appealing and symbolically interesting. People always claim to be looking for original films that don’t insult the intelligence, that don't fit into easily defined categories, that don’t follow standard Hollywood formulas, yet as soon as they get one most of them don't know what to make of it and in fact deride it for not being what they expected. Before his death the great Billy Wilder said of the film; 'I regard Spielberg’s Kubrick homage, A I, as the most underrated film of the past few years. A I is far ahead of our time and asks important questions such as ‘What makes humans human?’' And he knew a thing or two about movies.

And before the traditional cries of 'Kubrick would have ended it differently' arise (as if none of Kubrick's other films end on controversial notes) here is what Ian Watson, who wrote the screen story with Kubrick, says of AI:

‘I adore Spielberg's A.I. Of course I'm a wee bit prejudiced, since so much of my story got used, and Jude Law is so wonderful as Gigolo Joe. Dr. Know didn't much appeal to me, being so much like a Disney cartoon, but nothing is perfect for everyone. A.I. seems to have polarized opinion considerably, some people deriding it and others loving it and weeping in the cinema and writing passionately about it as something very special, quite different from the usual Hollywood movie, and important—even philosophically so. There's been quite a bit of confusion among critics, especially about the final 20 minutes, which aren't Spielberg being sentimental (his main addition was the cruel, brutal Flesh Fair), but are exactly what I wrote for Stanley and exactly what Stanley wanted. And as for sentimental, well, at the end of his perfect day David is alone without his mother for ever and ever in a universe which contains no other life, only the evolved Mecha (robots, not visiting aliens!) who can only study the traces and leftovers of extinct human life. David miraculously sheds a tear, and I don't exactly blame him.

The evolved robots are marvellous—"machines of loving grace," to quote a line from a poem by Richard Brautigan. The ending is quite multilayered. A.I. is a movie that is going to need, and receive, a fair amount of reassessment, and this will probably happen sooner rather than later. I think Stanley would have been pretty pleased with what Spielberg did. I am.’

"My mother did throw me against a brick wall when I was an infant. I didn't get hurt at all. I've mentioned it to her a couple of times. She said I was a little prick."

DVD's wot I own.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 7
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 27/12/2007 10:34:46 PM   
Deviation

Not Guilty. I have to admit of not liking it at first, but it has grown inme, re-assesed it and discovered one of the best sci-fi's of the decade. Kubrick would have been proud.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Jar Jar Gabor)
Post #: 8
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 28/12/2007 12:51:46 AM   
Helium Hunchback

Love this film. One of the best pure sci-fi films I've seen and a great companion piece to 2001. But I still haven't figured out the fish that carry David after he falls into the sea.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 9
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 28/12/2007 8:01:44 PM   
welshleon

Oh, definitely guilty.
Why does Spielberg always have to ruin his films with syrupy sweet sentimentality?
I was really quite enjoying this film when I first saw it in the cinema but then, rather than end the movie with David at the bottom of the sea, having found the 'blue fairy', it then slides into horrible, mawkish slosh with his mother resurrected (but only for a day mind you).

Whether this ending be Kubrick's or Spielberg's, there are examples of Spielberg's leanings towards the vomit inducing elsewhere e.g.  SPOILER >>>>his son surviving at the end of War of the Worlds - the hill he ran over was completely vaporised for Pete's sake!
Excise the last 15 minutes and you have my Not Guilty vote, as I thought the film looked gorgeous, the effects were superb and Haley Joel Osment really shines.

"Those aren't pillows!"

"I know kung fu"

"Stop pointing that gun at my dad!"

(in reply to Helium Hunchback)
Post #: 10
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 28/12/2007 10:03:07 PM   
Helium Hunchback

quote:

I was really quite enjoying this film when I first saw it in the cinema but then, rather than end the movie with David at the bottom of the sea, having found the 'blue fairy', it then slides into horrible, mawkish slosh with his mother resurrected (but only for a day mind you).

But surely the whole point is that David can never find the blue fairy, she doesn't exist.  He sits at the bottom of the ocean for 2000 years pleading to a statue without a flicker of a response (2000 years pleading to an imaginary being, who'd have thought it?).  And when he finally gets to touch her, she shatters in front of his eyes.  But it doesn't deter David, he moves onto the next one - a bigger brighter blue fairy, he just cant let it go.  The advanced mecha see this and so give him his wish in a final act of compassion before switching him off forever.  Everything at the end is artificial, its not really his mother but its good enough for David. I reckon its one of the best endings in all of science fiction.

< Message edited by Helium Hunchback -- 28/12/2007 10:04:59 PM >

(in reply to welshleon)
Post #: 11
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 28/12/2007 10:41:26 PM   
Jar Jar Gabor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helium Hunchback

quote:

But surely the whole point is that David can never find the blue fairy, she doesn't exist.  He sits at the bottom of the ocean for 2000 years pleading to a statue without a flicker of a response (2000 years pleading to an imaginary being, who'd have thought it?).  And when he finally gets to touch her, she shatters in front of his eyes.  But it doesn't deter David, he moves onto the next one - a bigger brighter blue fairy, he just cant let it go.  The advanced mecha see this and so give him his wish in a final act of compassion before switching him off forever.  Everything at the end is artificial, its not really his mother but its good enough for David. I reckon its one of the best endings in all of science fiction.

Precisely. I think it's interesting to note how there were essentially three different reactions to the ending of AI that determined what each person thought of it:

- Those who took the ending at face value but, like David, fell for the illusion ended up enjoying it as a happy ending. They wanted a fairytale.

- Those who took the ending at face value but thought it was sentimental bullshit ended up hating the ending. They wanted flat-fact.

- Those who didn't take the ending at face value but as a misdirection for both David and, potentially, the audience ended up enjoying it as a much deeper and more challenging ending than previously thought. They combined fairytale with flat-fact, just as David had earlier in the film.

And as for your question about the fish helping David when he throws himself into the sea, I think it's another allusion to Collodi's Pinocchio in which the Tunny fish helps Pinocchio and Gepetto to swim to shore.

"My mother did throw me against a brick wall when I was an infant. I didn't get hurt at all. I've mentioned it to her a couple of times. She said I was a little prick."

DVD's wot I own.

(in reply to Helium Hunchback)
Post #: 12
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 28/12/2007 10:54:44 PM   
the sangypange

not guilty i was truly baffeled by all the criticisms that the film received when it was first released, mostly towards the ending, but i quite like, on the whole the film is visually stunning

What are you doing in my tent?
Im Listening to records

check out the Pange's 10 album covers
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2212151

(in reply to Jar Jar Gabor)
Post #: 13
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 29/12/2007 12:57:26 PM   
buffy_1008

I loved it. I remember it delicate and enchanting. Plus, Steven + John Williams are the best you can get. 

(in reply to the sangypange)
Post #: 14
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 29/12/2007 3:10:19 PM   
Baby Bear

Not Guilty, m'lord.

Can't we just enjoy something for it's sentimentality. Why is that a bad thing?

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to buffy_1008)
Post #: 15
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 29/12/2007 9:05:32 PM   
eclipsoverseer

I had to write in defence of Artificial Intelligence. It starts as a fairly conventional (but great) film but then soars off into epic sci-fi novel territory and manages to carry it off brilliantly. I've only seen it the once but such was it's effect, I've no need to see it again.

I will say, however, that it helped to know prior to watching (thanks to Empire) that the strange beings at the end are super advanced robots and not aliens. It avoided any unwanted confusion.

The overriding impression I got from the film was a very simple one.
- If you want something badly enough and absolutely refuse to give in, you'll get it.

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 16
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 29/12/2007 9:55:14 PM   
mqblank

I loathe this film so much i actually registered just so i could vote !!:-) 
one of my all time top ten worst films.

it never seems to know where its going or what it wants to say, i think SS was so concerned with what SK wanted from the Film he forgot to actually do his job.

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 17
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 30/12/2007 6:37:05 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: eclipsoverseer

I will say, however, that it helped to know prior to watching (thanks to Empire) that the strange beings at the end are super advanced robots and not aliens. It avoided any unwanted confusion.

Why do people always think the future Mechas are aliens, surely the bit when you see the images from David's memories downloading into their heads makes it clear what exactly they are?

(in reply to eclipsoverseer)
Post #: 18
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 30/12/2007 6:44:39 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Why do people always think the future Mechas are aliens, surely the bit when you see the images from David's memories downloading into their heads makes it clear what exactly they are?

The design of the future Mechas looked too much like popular images of aliens.

Spielberg should have been more clear in the designs.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 19
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 3/1/2008 2:10:18 PM   
holsy

Weither it is to your personal taste or not is irrelevent if you ask me. You simply cant deny that it is a finely crafted masterpiece from two of cinema's greatest film makers of all time, Spielberg and Kubrick.
Take Kubricks, Clockwork Orange for example. I personally didnt really like it, it just wasnt to my entertainment tastes. However i am not aragant enough to disagree with the fact that it is a Masterpiece to be remembered, just becasue i didnt like it. Undoubtably it is a masterpiece and so is AI. Though i happen to love AI.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 20
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 3/1/2008 3:33:52 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Hmmm it's difficult - the ending is guilty and should frankly be hung, drawn and quartered, however the rest of the film (while nowhere near the best of either Kubrick or Spielberg) is good enough to save it's ass.

NOT GUILTY

(in reply to holsy)
Post #: 21
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 3/1/2008 3:51:26 PM   
Timon

I'll admit, I first disliked the ending of the film thinking it too neat and tidy and overly sentimental, but now I consider the film a severly underated masterpiece.

The ending is actually as dark and twisted as it is moving and sentimental as David's need for love is so deep, he'll die to receive it.

It's a great film and if you disliked it the first time round, I'd recommend a rewatch.

Not Guilty

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 22
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 4/1/2008 10:49:36 AM   
JagLover

Not Guilty

This is a very thought provoking Sci-fi film, one of the best in recent years.

'I Robot' may have claimed the name of Asimovs collection of Robot stories, but this movie is far closer to the spirit of those stories. It asks what makes us human and when can an artificial being become a person.

Yes the ending is perhaps a little too sweet. But as already mentioned this was likely an invention of the robots who discovered him.   

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 23
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 4/1/2008 12:02:10 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

quote:

I'll verify that - I'm only getting that they are robots from reading this thread right now.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 24
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 4/1/2008 1:57:18 PM   
OldGrey

Good Lord !
Of all the films to put on movie trial, who chose A.I. to stand in the box ?
I thought these were supposed to be "Movies that split people down the middle" not "Movies that my Uncle's friends cousin's neighbour said was a bit too long " ???
Must have been a much debated decision the day after the Christmas party when you were all a little "delicate"..............

It is, above all else, a really cracking story and if that were all it had I would defend it, but there's so much more ! The direction, effects, actors, it all works well on all levels. Having read the case for the prosecution (you could have sounded more convincing by just saying "I didn't like it", and saved a lot of time into the bargain) I hardly think exhibit A, it references Pinocchio, to be a negative at all. Yes, yes, okay, you can debate the ending all day long, if you like, and I can see (but disagree) how folk think it is too long, but that's hardly grounds to put it into this feature.

Anyway, it's clearly a Not Guilty - "..no more than an inflated smudge of schizophrenic cinema" ??? Mr Ingram, shame on you. 

(in reply to Amar Vijay)
Post #: 25
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 4/1/2008 4:27:31 PM   
igotnewlegs

I'm at a loss as to why this movie's on trial or why people seem to have such a problem with the ending. I don't think it was a happy or sweet ending at all - it just seemed a logical step to follow after all that went before. I actually find it quite sad to think that there were no humans left alive and that David has been so blinded by love he can't see the artifice of his surroundings or his 'mother'. It seemed to me that the film managed to reach a satisfying conclusion by showing us the evolution of AI, and the way that something created in our own image (like artificial children) could live on after our death. Not only that but at the same time it concluded David's journey by giving him what he needed but not putting him through the misery of having to live without his mother for all eternity. I guess the safer ending would have been to finish it when he finds the blue fairy but I believe the film dealt with much bigger themes so needed such a radical end.

I can think of a fair few more films that deserve to be in the dock (Deathproof, perhaps Empire?) rather than this masterpiece.

NOT GUILTY and due some compensation for having its time wasted.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to OldGrey)
Post #: 26
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 4/1/2008 8:43:49 PM   
OldGrey

Enough of the shenanigans of this pointless debate and onto more pressing matters.

How is it decided which movies go into the dock ? Also, on the back of this months decision, how do we change said process?
Empire?
Anyone?

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 27
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 4/1/2008 10:22:54 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

quote:

I'll verify that - I'm only getting that they are robots from reading this thread right now.

Oh Larry, Larry, Larry...

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 28
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 5/1/2008 12:32:46 PM   
Mycroft

I thought we were meant to see them as organic aliens, at first, or even an evolved species. Before realising it was the robots that evolved.

quote:

Weither it is to your personal taste or not is irrelevent if you ask me. You simply cant deny that it is a finely crafted masterpiece from two of cinema's greatest film makers of all time, Spielberg and Kubrick.
Take Kubricks, Clockwork Orange for example. I personally didnt really like it, it just wasnt to my entertainment tastes. However i am not aragant enough to disagree with the fact that it is a Masterpiece to be remembered, just becasue i didnt like it. Undoubtably it is a masterpiece and so is AI. Though i happen to love AI.

Well I'm going to deny it, calling something a masterpiece is no less subjective than whether you like it or not. The film is a scrappy mess of ideas, but there's more than enough of them for it to be an interesting film, especially coming from this director. Not guilty

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 29
RE: A.I. Artificial Intelligence - 5/1/2008 2:33:20 PM   
kenada_woo

It made me cry (yes, very GAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!). 

I dont think I can give a better reason for why its a great film.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> A.I. Artificial Intelligence Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI