Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Jackson Says He Won't Direct Hobbit

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Jackson Says He Won't Direct Hobbit Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jackson Says He Won't Direct Hobbit - 20/12/2007 9:08:08 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 20/12/2007 9:08:08 AM   
umer_ejaz

for once I'm agreeing with Empire on this, let Guillermo Del Toro direct this. I found Labyrinth hard to take but I loved every moment of it. I think he could make this into a brilliant and classic movie like Peter Jackson

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 20/12/2007 9:11:45 AM   
ilovekaren

del toro del toro del toro please not raimi not that ive got anything against the man but did you see the shite cg in spidey 3 for example spidey vs goblin 2. awful. transformers and pirates were absolutly seemless

Post #: 3
- 20/12/2007 9:15:49 AM   
callumcostello

Del Toro ain't gonna have time to do this he's got like 6 projects lined up. I'd rather see his Tarzan to be honest. Would like Cuaron but more likely it'll go to Sam Raimi he's got a reasonably clean slate and can hack the colossal size of it. Second film will tie Hobbit to LOTR no...?

Post #: 4
- 20/12/2007 9:19:07 AM   
Hughezy

i'd rather wait a few more years for Jackson to do it than have anyone else do it.

Anyway, as much as i love the Spider-Man films, Raimi isn't actually that good of a director.

Post #: 5
Jackson probably did the right thing here - 20/12/2007 9:27:13 AM   
Primus

The Hobbit might not have suited his skills as it is substantially different in tone from the LOTR trilogy. Besides, Ian McKellan isn't getting any younger, and they have to get him to play Gandalf, right?

Post #: 6
I now want to see Tintin even less.... - 20/12/2007 9:28:10 AM   
the ageless stranger

......seriously, Jackson doing that when he could be doing the Hobbit?

Post #: 7
RE: I now want to see Tintin even less.... - 20/12/2007 9:31:11 AM   
nicholsonsmhead

I just got the call from Peter Jackson.  Yes, I'm directing The Hobbit. 

Don't worry fanboys, it's in safe hands.

Now, let's see, who to cast as Bilbo?  Get me Dean Gaffney!  Money's no object!

'Does the codename 'Sapphire' mean anything to you?'

'Hey, what if we cross-circuit the accelerator? Might give us more er...er, ohms or something.'

'Hi, I'm Max Keller. I'm a seagull.'

(in reply to the ageless stranger)
Post #: 8
- 20/12/2007 9:31:11 AM   
steveg66

Booooo! The Lovely Bones I can wait for, and I could never stand Tin Tin anyway had the same effect on me as a Calpol overdose when I was a kid. So he might as well get on with job in hand.

Post #: 9
all else can wait - 20/12/2007 9:36:23 AM   
XVII

lovely bones bones, tintin take a seat... sit down & wait for someone who wants to wants to pay good money to see you. the hobbit has a bigger fan base & should take priority. sod off tintin, bilbo & co come first. PJ please reconsider

Post #: 10
Anyone but Raimi. - 20/12/2007 10:01:27 AM   
Lupin 3

I'll never forgive him for those spiderman abortions. Please Peter, no-one really cares about tintin. Guillmero please step into the breach quickly before McG or Paul Anderson get their hands on it.

Post #: 11
Please we're begging you!!! - 20/12/2007 10:56:48 AM   
manufan

Tintin? Really? Does anybody actually want to see a movie of this outdated Belgian kid and his paedo mates?
Come on Peter, if you're not gonna direct, at least write the damn thing, so we can all be sure it at least has a good script.

Post #: 12
AT LEAST ITS GETTING MADE! - 20/12/2007 12:14:38 PM   
homelessdan

First off i am relieved that Jackson made up with New Line, The Hobbit is getting made and that Jackson is involved!! obviously his presence is paramount. its a crying shame that he wont be directing it but i do think it will be refreshing to see Tolkiens work nurtured by someone of equal talent and creative vision, aka Del Toro. Bring on the trolls!!!!!

Post #: 13
- 20/12/2007 12:19:27 PM   
mayo12

My vote is with either Cuaron or del Toro to direct. I think either one would do a fantastic job with Jackson in the background. Count Raimi out.

Post #: 14
Quit whingeing... - 20/12/2007 12:26:37 PM   
cunningmunki

There's plenty of good directors that are perfect for the job, who I'm sure will all be jumping at the chance to direct Hobbit, so quit whingeing that Jackson's not directing, this is the best news we could expect! I'm not at all concerned about who's going to direct as I'm certain Jackson will make a good choice.
The BIG question now surely is, who will be playing Bilbo?

Post #: 15
Just My Thoughts - 20/12/2007 12:59:52 PM   
coolasice2001uk

I read that Peter Jackson has been given full creative control of the two hobbit movies which is great news, but i still hang on to that thread of hope he'll reconsider directing them.
Bringing in a new director is always a risky thing, sure it would be fresh and different but it could also be horendous. Everyone seems to be backing Del Toro for this job, but im not so sure. I think one of the main reasons rings was such a success was becasue Peter was such a fan of the books, he knew every characters back story and dealings in middle earth, Del Toro on the other hand was quoted saying he tried reading rings but couldnt get into it. OK yes the Hobbit is essentially another story, but with it runing so close in continuety with the rings movies do we want a director that lacks knoweledge and passion for the story?

Post #: 16
Why the rush? - 20/12/2007 1:33:42 PM   
webber6969

I would galdly wait 10 years if it meant that Jackson would direct both films.

Post #: 17
bollocks to tintin - 20/12/2007 2:52:43 PM   
danbo1138

jackson has to direct these films!please for the love of god no sam rami.all the spiderman films were vastly overated.del toro is not my first choice either.infact i can't think of anyone who could do them justice.ridley scott or spielberg if they take their time and imerse themselves in middle earth and the hobbit rather than just watching the lord or the rings.chris nolan would be up there too but plese not rami.somebody get a petition together demanding jackson direct and stop this nonsence now.who gives two shits about tintin anyway?

< Message edited by danbo1138 -- 20/12/2007 2:59:53 PM >

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

Post #: 18
RE: Del Toro Shouldn't Do The Hobbit - 20/12/2007 3:42:56 PM   
Timon

Neither should any of the other 'names' banded around. All these directors have their own styles, their own looks and their own way of doing things, that's why they're as popular as they are.

The Lord of the Rings world though is Jackson-created. If he isn't going to direct then I feel he should hand the reins over to someone who was also involved in creating that world so the look and feel of Middle Earth is retained.

People have mentioned Fran Walsh but what about the other directors of Lord of the Rings. There were after all THREE units. How about Richard Taylor, head of WETA? That man has passion coming out his hair.

While I love Del Toro, Cuaron, Spielberg and co, they shouldn't be given the keys to Middle Earth unless you want a prequel that runs the risk of looking and feeling completely different to what has gone before it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 19
RE: Del Toro Shouldn't Do The Hobbit - 20/12/2007 4:02:11 PM   
Johnny Pneumonia

I think you're exactly right Timon. I'd much rather have a Kershner/Marquand type situation where the director was a trusted chap who could take over the day to day while Peter and Fran ruled from on high. I cant remember now, who was the 1st AD on LOTR?

'Kate Winslet there...talking dirty...to, uh, Anne Frank and Joseph Goebbels...'

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 20
RE: Del Toro Shouldn't Do The Hobbit - 20/12/2007 4:12:23 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Johnny Pneumonia

I think you're exactly right Timon. I'd much rather have a Kershner/Marquand type situation where the director was a trusted chap who could take over the day to day while Peter and Fran ruled from on high. I cant remember now, who was the 1st AD on LOTR?

I think Richard Barker was 1st AD and Marc Someone-or-other was 2nd.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Johnny Pneumonia)
Post #: 21
RE: Del Toro Shouldn't Do The Hobbit - 20/12/2007 4:28:32 PM   
Johnny Pneumonia

It would be great if one of those guys could do it with the rest of the team working on it, but I'm not sure how likely that is without PJ at the helm. Wonder if phillipa boyens could write it by herself. Unfortunately I think its gonna be quite a different kettle of fish come 2009. Apart from Weta I reckon they'll get a whole new bunch in. Lets face it though, the amount of time thats passed, theres no guarantee Jackson could be as good second time round. King Kong was a pretty flawed film at the end of the day. 

'Kate Winslet there...talking dirty...to, uh, Anne Frank and Joseph Goebbels...'

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 22
RE: Del Toro Shouldn't Do The Hobbit - 20/12/2007 5:10:16 PM   
Scruffybobby

Whilst it would be brilliant if Jackson would direct, I hardly think it's time to declare a disaster because he isn't.

It is after all entirely possible that whoever picks up the meaphone on this one could do just as good a job. As already pointed out there were several units on LOTR. Geoff Murphy was the 2nd unit director if I remember rightly. His directorial CV isn't exactly awe-isnpiring,(Young Guns 2 is probably the highlight) but with PJ keeping tabs it couild all work out to the good.

Then again if someone like Del Toro does come in and bring his own style to the thing, so what? Different doesn't automatically mean worse.

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Johnny Pneumonia)
Post #: 23
- 20/12/2007 5:39:34 PM   
ilovekaren

del toro wants this movie he would love to do it thats what he has said in an interview start campaining on every site del toro del toro del toro

Post #: 24
RE: - 20/12/2007 5:53:23 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

If we're going for 2nd Unit directors from the first films, then Walsh has to be the strongest candidate, having co-written the films and having the closest knowledge of what PJ would want to do with these new films. With Jackson producing they will keep it within the visual template of the original trilogy doubtless. I'd be happy with Del Toro, if that's who PJ has in mind.

(in reply to ilovekaren)
Post #: 25
He has to do it - 20/12/2007 6:05:40 PM   
DJ Funktris

i would wait to see a great film directed by a trustworthy director

Post #: 26
RE: He has to do it - 20/12/2007 8:26:04 PM   
Missile Truck

The names being bandied around to direct this are too obvious...any chance of throwing some more interesting names into the hat?

I reckon Lasse Hallstrom would be perfect to adapt The Hobbit.

(in reply to DJ Funktris)
Post #: 27
RE: He has to do it - 20/12/2007 9:24:24 PM   
danbo1138

peter jackson

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Missile Truck)
Post #: 28
- 21/12/2007 12:17:19 PM   
o dea shue

If PJ doesn't want it then gotta be Alfonso Cuaron he breathed a life into the potter franchise that has been copied ever since! plus Sam Raimi made a three horrible spider-man movies from a budget, he should stay with bruce hashing out sequals to the evil dead. As for Guillermo Del Toro pan's was awesome but he seems to only be able to make a good film in his native tongue.

Post #: 29
Two Films...? - 21/12/2007 2:46:15 PM   
meegan_r

Allegedly, The Hobbit will be a single film. Rumour has it that the 'sequel' will be derived from the material in The Lord of the Rings appendices. It's supposed to bridge the gap between The Hobbit and The Fellowship...

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Jackson Says He Won't Direct Hobbit Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI