Cranford

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Cranford Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cranford - 17/12/2007 4:55:09 PM   
swordsandsandals

If you missed this excellent piece of Television, I would strongly reccomend renting it, or buying it. It was an excellent piece of television, a period drama based on three books by Elizabeth Gaskell (around the time of dickens) Where to start as to why I loved it? (Bearing in mind I must be the only 17 year old guy who watches a show about a group of gossipy women in a village in victorian times but hey) Firstly the acting was incredible. I find that in television you can find some of the best acting around, where a lot of films are let down. There was no stand out  performance, as a cast of Imelda Staunton, Judi Dench and Eileen Atkins face up against newcomers such as the excellent Kimberley Nixon, who plays the pretty Sophie Hutton, the daughter of a Rector. For those of you who groan at the thought of a BBC period drama, give this one a try. The plot is, unless your the type of person who can only watch Michael Bay films, utterly engrossing, following the lives of the people who live in one Chesire village, where it is entirely set. It is beautifully shot and acted, and may bring a tear to your eye come the final episodes. A masterful adaptation that deserves a much wider audience, and easily among the best television of the year. It will leave a hole, and I doubt the upcoming Oliver Twist can match it.

Did anyone else watch this show? What did you think? As you can tell, I kinda liked it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 1
RE: Cranford - 18/12/2007 2:19:05 PM   
elab49

I'd agree there were some wonderful pieces of acting (particularly the unfortunately underused Atkins and Annis) - and it was shot beautifully.

But the source material was generally poor and not the best written. So even if you ignored the glaring errors and the ruining of the spirit of the main book with too many men, it was at times a really drearily bad soap opera - the penultimate week in particular was teeth-achingly bad. The writing and story simply didn't match up to the best of period drama.

I realise it was inevitable they'd continue through her work after Wives and Daughters and North and South - but as a writer she simply isn't worth it. Still being around doesn't mean she was actually any good.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 2
RE: Cranford - 18/12/2007 10:54:28 PM   
swordsandsandals

Well I don't know about source material, as I haven't read Cranford, but I disagree about the soap opera comment. There was a lot more depth to the stories of Cranford, but it still had a light-hearted touch that made you groan in sympathy at the unfortunate plight of the naive Doctor Harrison. And don't tell me the story about Mr. Carter and the young boy wasn't moving...

I may get round to reading Cranford at some point, but It must be a damn sight better than the depressing Dickens novel I read- Hard Times. Well I certainly had them reading that tripe.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Cranford - 18/12/2007 10:57:55 PM   
Gazdance

A wonderful piece of television.  TV like this from the BBC, along with Doctor Who, Planet Earth and the upcoming Sense and Sensibility are why I do not mind paying a license fee.

Post #: 4
RE: Cranford - 19/12/2007 9:17:35 AM   
elab49

Hard Times isn't the best of Dickens and he deals better with education elsewhere. That said, there was a very good adaptation with the superlative Bob Peck as Gradgrind, much better written than this.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Carter story, partly because I was disappointed with Glenister's performance. The entire thing seemed fairly inept, down to the cliched interaction with Annis and the boy. Also, interestingly, the 2 examples you mention don't exist in the main book but even more minor and very poorly written side works.

Sense and Sensibility? Certainly hope it is watchable. But as not one of the recent Austen adaptations rose far above the utter crap level on ITV I don't hold out a great deal of hope.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 5
RE: Cranford - 19/12/2007 10:33:42 PM   
beebs_

quote:

But the source material was generally poor and not the best written. So even if you ignored the glaring errors and the ruining of the spirit of the main book with too many men, it was at times a really drearily bad soap opera - the penultimate week in particular was teeth-achingly bad. The writing and story simply didn't match up to the best of period drama.

I agree. It all seemed a bit... well boring to me.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Cranford - 20/12/2007 11:18:22 AM   
Valanya

Cranford was fantastic. Definately up there with Bleak House; perhaps not so much dramatic depth as that (which, by the way, I recommend you watch if you liked this, swordsandsandles) but a heck of a lot funnier. Some of the best lines I've heard on tv in ages. I'm only disappointed that I missed the first episode, but I'll definately be getting the DVDs

What came first, the music or the misery?

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 7
RE: Cranford - 20/12/2007 11:49:25 AM   
Marky_Mark

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_

quote:

I agree. It all seemed a bit... well boring to me.

Possibly...but the BBC are great at making Sunday night TV like this.....just switch off, feet-up and let it all wash over you.

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 8
RE: Cranford - 21/12/2007 12:38:04 AM   
beebs_

You're right Marky. I watched every ep.

I guess I'm still stuck on Pride And Prejudice...

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 9
RE: Cranford - 23/12/2007 9:02:17 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Hard Times isn't the best of Dickens and he deals better with education elsewhere. That said, there was a very good adaptation with the superlative Bob Peck as Gradgrind, much better written than this.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Carter story, partly because I was disappointed with Glenister's performance. The entire thing seemed fairly inept, down to the cliched interaction with Annis and the boy. Also, interestingly, the 2 examples you mention don't exist in the main book but even more minor and very poorly written side works.

Sense and Sensibility? Certainly hope it is watchable. But as not one of the recent Austen adaptations rose far above the utter crap level on ITV I don't hold out a great deal of hope.

The ITV ones were bad, but the previous period drama before Cranford on the BBC was Jane Eyre, which I seem to remember was also brilliant. Is S+S Beeb or ITV?

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: Cranford - 24/12/2007 2:53:36 AM   
beebs_

I think it's a Beeb show.

"Paramasturbatory"?

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Cranford Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI