Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion Page: <<   < prev  52 53 54 55 [56]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 24/2/2013 7:24:10 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

^ Electronic dance music is horribly overlooked as a valid form of musical expression. Happy Hardcore particularly so.

Electronic music is the future of music.

Frank Zappa's Freak Out! is the best and most influential album of the 60s.

No one could play guitar like Frank Zappa. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seBNQwKswI0

Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon is overrated (although I used to sing its praises).

Music is the best.

200 Motels

(in reply to Juice Terry)
Post #: 1651
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 26/2/2013 10:48:50 AM   
twisted_state

Metallica should have ended after Master Of Puppets

http://www.filmtied.com/user/dawid_zuchowicz

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 1652
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 27/2/2013 12:03:55 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: twisted_state

A world without ...And Justice For All would be a bleak world indeed.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to twisted_state)
Post #: 1653
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 23/3/2013 1:44:36 PM   
Evolved As One

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
I sometimes wish Fugazi had just thought 'fuck it' and signed to one of the major labels salivating over them in the '90s so more people could have heard how absolutely fucking awesome they were.

This. Fugazi were phenomenal.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twisted_state

A world without ...And Justice For All would be a bleak world indeed.

Indeed, ...And Justice For all is my favourite Metallica album which might be an unpopular opinion in itself.

I think that they should've ended on The Black Album, then release Garage Inc. and a best of as their final farewell compilations. A popular opinion perhaps?

< Message edited by Evolved As One -- 23/3/2013 1:45:49 PM >

"They've got you where they want you..."

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 1654
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 23/3/2013 4:24:50 PM   
horribleives

I think most Metallica fans would agree The Black Album was the last truly great thing they did (though many aren't keen on that either - some because of the ballads and perceived commercial direction, some for more serious reasons such James' decision to start wearing cowboy boots). I'm still glad they never split up though. Load and Re-Load were disappointing overall but there's still a handful of awesome tracks on each (The House That Jack Built and Where The Wild Things Are being my two particular favourites from that era) Death Magnetic was a brilliant record and they're still fantastic (and fantastically loud) live. St Anger on the other hand, well, there's not a lot I can say on that one because, despite listening to it a fair few times I literally can't remember anything about it.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Evolved As One)
Post #: 1655
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 23/3/2013 4:59:03 PM   
Evolved As One

I actually love The Black Album. Load and Reload have some good 'uns on it. My only quibble with Death Magnetic was the loudness war and compression, though there's a torrent going round which 'fixes' this issue.

St. Anger is (in some aspects) like Lulu in my opinion, the way both sound like just a series of outtake riffs lazily compiled together.

"They've got you where they want you..."

Post #: 1656
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 23/7/2013 7:51:52 AM   
Hardcore Raver

May the Gods strike me down right now for admitting this, but I actually really like the new Miley Cyrus song.

The video, however, is, for want of a better phrase, absolutely batshit mental - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LrUvu1mlWco

Love Football. Hate FIFA.

(in reply to Evolved As One)
Post #: 1657
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 23/7/2013 11:40:15 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

I think most Metallica fans would agree The Black Album was the last truly great thing they did (though many aren't keen on that either - some because of the ballads and perceived commercial direction, some for more serious reasons such James' decision to start wearing cowboy boots). I'm still glad they never split up though. Load and Re-Load were disappointing overall but there's still a handful of awesome tracks on each (The House That Jack Built and Where The Wild Things Are being my two particular favourites from that era) Death Magnetic was a brilliant record and they're still fantastic (and fantastically loud) live. St Anger on the other hand, well, there's not a lot I can say on that one because, despite listening to it a fair few times I literally can't remember anything about it.

Frantic and the title track from Saint Anger are excellent, the rest of the album was utter dogshit... and as for the Lou Reed album... way BEYOND dogshit, an utter abortion of a cd, I paid 24 pence for it on a resale website and I want 23 of those pennies back...

Am I the only Metallica fan who loves Mama Said..?

Say what now?

Post #: 1658
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 24/7/2013 2:24:27 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Pretty much, yeah. Never had a problem with a favourite band going down a more commercial route. Sometimes it can yield a really good album (the aforementioned Black Album), sometimes it can yield utter shit (everything Kings of Leon have done after Because of the Times).

Maybe the days of making a brilliant album are firmly behind them, but Metallica have produced a clutch of really good singles over the years (The Day that Never Comes; Fuel; The Unforgiven II; Hero of the Day)

St. Anger is an unlistenable train wreck of an album, though.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 1659
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 1/8/2013 7:04:53 PM   
horribleives

I was particularly disappointed with St Anger as it was critically acclaimed all over the place before its release (9/10 in NME, 5 Ks in Kerrang!, 4/5 in Q and Uncut) and trumpeted as something of a return to form. I remember upon first listen being impressed by how heavy it was and just assumed the tunes would sink in after I'd lived with it for a week or so. Two weeks later I realised the reason the tunes hadn't sunk in is because they weren't there. Heartbreaking.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 1660
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 8/8/2013 10:40:38 PM   
Mister Coe

OK... just listening to Celebrity Skin by Hole and, regardless of what you think about Courtney Love, Hole were a pretty decent band...

Yeah, Love pisses me off on so many levels, but CS is a terrific album, Live Through This has some really good tunes on it and Nobody's Daughter is very, very under-rated...

Say what now?

Post #: 1661
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 13/11/2013 12:37:33 AM   
shool

Rizzle Kicks are much better than Jay-Z and Kanye West (Golddigger aside)

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 1662
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 15/11/2013 11:39:22 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

Rizzle Kicks are much better than Jay-Z and Kanye West (Golddigger aside)

I only recently found out Rizzle Kicks was a duo. I always thought it was one person, and I'm pretty sure I thought that one person was Dizzie Rascal. I might celebrate learning this new fact by listening to their music.

Speaking of Metallica (which we were several months ago) I noticed recently when you listen to Master Of Puppets and ...And Justice For All back to back the latter's infamous non-existent bass isn't half glaring. Yet, it's STILL awesome.
Also watched the One video yesterday and it's just dawned on me I've still never seen (or read) Johnny Got His Gun. The clips of it in the video were upsetting enough when I was 11 so I've always steered well clear. Can't see this changing any time in the future either - halfway through the video yesterday I started quietly welling up. Metal up your ass, indeed.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 1663
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 25/11/2013 8:51:34 PM   
horribleives

Speaking of Metallica (again) here's an unpopular opinion: I recently watched Some Kind Of Monster for the first time and, contrary to the popular belief that Hetfield et al make utter bell-ends of themselves in it, I think they come across really well. Dysfunctional overgrown children on occasion (who wouldn't be having spent most of your life in a successful rock band? Look at Jagger and Richards for Christ's sake) but at the same time passionate, funny and very human. Yes, even Lars Ulrich.
Oh and it's bloody hilarious too.

Post #: 1664
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 29/1/2014 9:53:23 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I've been rediscovering these film classics today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etp8L9pbqeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmbw8OycJrE

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

Post #: 1665
Page:   <<   < prev  52 53 54 55 [56]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion Page: <<   < prev  52 53 54 55 [56]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI