Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion Page: <<   < prev  52 53 54 [55] 56   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/10/2012 2:57:20 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Much as I liked Jeff Buckley, Grace would've been a much better album without all those bloody cover versions.

I've never liked Lilac Wine. And Hallelujah is nowhere near the best on the album. Last Goodbye is beautiful. Along with Mojo Pin and Grace, those three songs really opened my eyes to music.

When I saw him live, far from being the revelatory moment I'd read about, Hallelujah went on for days and killed the atmosphere stone dead. Luckily he made up for it with the metal-tastic version of Eternal Life.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 1621
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/10/2012 5:58:04 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSpleen

Queen were overhyped and their songs were drivel.

Yep

quote:

Lady Gaga is not a unique lil' genuis snowflake song writing artist. She's a douche who sellotapes tungsten screws to her eyelids and wears a pocorn thong to cover up the fact she's your basic disposable radio fodder.

Yep

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 1622
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/10/2012 6:11:25 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Lady Gaga is not a unique lil' genuis snowflake song writing artist. She's a douche who sellotapes tungsten screws to her eyelids and wears a pocorn thong to cover up the fact she's your basic disposable radio fodder.

Edgy.

You're so cool. Can I subscribe to your newsletter?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 1623
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/10/2012 7:13:26 PM   
TheSpleen

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Edgy.

You're so cool. Can I subscribe to your newsletter?

Great stuff. Not cool at all, I'm a never will be anything internet guy expressing an unpopular music opinion.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 1624
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 20/10/2012 10:18:22 PM   
donethinking

I didnt like Federico Colli's rendition of The emperor that much, excluding the bum notes, it was a tad robotic.

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 1625
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 21/10/2012 1:10:21 PM   
Rhubarb

I really find it funny when people have a pop at Lady Gaga for being shallow while slagging off what she wears.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 1626
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 21/10/2012 7:58:10 PM   
TheSpleen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I really find it funny when people have a pop at Lady Gaga for being shallow while slagging off what she wears.

I didn't call her shallow.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 1627
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 21/10/2012 9:01:09 PM   
Rhubarb

I didn't say I was talking to you specifically, although she's only as "basic and disposable" as any of the best pop music ever

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 1628
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 23/10/2012 12:40:40 PM   
great_badir

They've been mentioned a few times in this thread already, but Abba.

Not so much the songs (although I'm not massively keen there either, having had Abba Gold played at me on endless rotation when I were a nipper), but it REALLY annoys me (especially since Mamma Mia [film and stage show]) how everyone bangs on about how complex and intricate the songs are. They may well be complex and intricate compared with pretty much anything in the charts today, but as a bit of a muso who has a long association with prog rock, jazz, modern classical and the like, I find that statement laughable and offensive.

...maybe "offensive" is over-egging it a bit...

< Message edited by great_badir -- 23/10/2012 12:41:32 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 1629
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 23/10/2012 12:58:03 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

They've been mentioned a few times in this thread already, but Abba.

Not so much the songs (although I'm not massively keen there either, having had Abba Gold played at me on endless rotation when I were a nipper), but it REALLY annoys me (especially since Mamma Mia [film and stage show]) how everyone bangs on about how complex and intricate the songs are. They may well be complex and intricate compared with pretty much anything in the charts today, but as a bit of a muso who has a long association with prog rock, jazz, modern classical and the like, I find that statement laughable and offensive.

...maybe "offensive" is over-egging it a bit...

But the point *is* that the songs are intricate within a pop context. It's much harder to pull off music that combines structural complexity with a strong melodic sense, which is why The Beatles (for example) are still considered one of the greatest bands of all time while Yes (for example) are a bunch of noodly bores.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 1630
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 23/10/2012 1:09:23 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf
But the point *is* that the songs are intricate within a pop context. It's much harder to pull off music that combines structural complexity with a strong melodic sense, which is why The Beatles (for example) are still considered one of the greatest bands of all time while Yes (for example) are a bunch of noodly bores.

I still don't buy it - I'm not so much talking about comparisons to a mid 70s Yes double concept album. There are plenty of examples of much more complex popular music that was in the charts before, during and after Abba's existence (just as a very good example, pretty much all the chart stuff that Talk Talk did), but Abba seem to be the only example that people talk about, presumably cos of the sheer number of sales over the years (granted). Still annoys me, though, and I'm still not convinced that they are/were all that intricate in a pop context.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 23/10/2012 1:10:59 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 1631
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 23/10/2012 10:37:08 PM   
Mister Coe

The Rolling Stones are selling tickets that are upwards of 100, yet they haven't written a song that is worth a scrap of fuck for the best part of 20 years... and they all look like The Walking Dead!

I say that this an unpopular opinion because there's a shitload of Muppets who are gonna max out their credit cards because 'you gotta see the Stones...'

Take a deep breath and repeat after me... 'the stones are shit...'

Don't you feel better now?

Say what now?

Post #: 1632
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 24/10/2012 12:48:24 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe
The Rolling Stones are selling tickets that are upwards of 100, yet they haven't written a song that is worth a scrap of fuck for the best part of 20 years... and they all look like The Walking Dead!

I say that this an unpopular opinion because there's a shitload of Muppets who are gonna max out their credit cards because 'you gotta see the Stones...'

I completely agree with the bit in bold, ten times over, but I think they're still a great live band and, for their age, their shows put a lot of others (both young and old acts) to shame.

I also agree about ticket prices, but for me that's more of a general concert-going gripe than a specific Stones related annoyance.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 1633
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 28/10/2012 10:13:14 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I meant to say that they havent done a good song in 30 years...

But I digress. If you love to see The Stones, no matter how much you have to pay, then God bless you, hope you have a great night.

I'm just thinking about Bowie, who's quite happy with his life, living with his beautiful wife and daughter in New York and knowing that he's made his mark and his money and isn't about to go titting about on a stage just to make a few extra quid...

It's called DIGNITY and the Stones couldn't even spell that...

I completely agree with the bit in bold, ten times over, but I think they're still a great live band and, for their age, their shows put a lot of others (both young and old acts) to shame.

I also agree about ticket prices, but for me that's more of a general concert-going gripe than a specific Stones related annoyance.

Say what now?

Post #: 1634
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 28/10/2012 10:16:52 PM   
Mister Coe

Just tried to post an answer and it ended up wound up in the previous response..? Whatever, that's what I mean...

Say what now?

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 1635
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 28/10/2012 10:44:49 PM   
directorscut

Would much rather ABBA do another tour than The Rolling Stones.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 1636
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 5/12/2012 7:05:30 AM   
horribleives

Love Kraft is the greatest and most beautiful SFA album.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 1637
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 5/12/2012 9:53:37 AM   
Olaf

Love Kraft is great, but I have to be obvious and go with Radiator for their best album. (I'd go with Mwng as their most underrated album, just cos it's in Welsh.) I love all their albums anyway, so it's all good really. I even love Hey Venus.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 1638
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 5/12/2012 10:03:49 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I think Rings Around the World is there best album with Radiator coming second.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 1639
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 5/12/2012 10:05:57 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Love Kraft is great, but I have to be obvious and go with Radiator for their best album. (I'd go with Mwng as their most underrated album, just cos it's in Welsh.) I love all their albums anyway, so it's all good really. I even love Hey Venus.

Yeah Mwng is a great album (it's even better when you can understand the dialogue ) but I'm gonna be mr. obvious as well and go for Radiator as their best album.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 1640
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 6/12/2012 11:34:07 AM   
horribleives

Radiator and Geurilla were always my firm favourites but, to my shame, I never really listened to Love Kraft much when it came out - other than Laser Beam nowt in particular stood out then I got sidetracked by other records and kind of forgot to give it a proper listen. Anyway, having re-visited their entire back catalogue recently, I realised what a cloth-eared fool I was - I can't get enough of the soulful, introspective Baccarach-tastic likes of Walk You Home, Cloudberries, Atomik Lust and (album highligh) Frequency.
Radiator does take some beating, mind. The second time I saw them live was a few weeks after it came out and they played virtually the whole record (as well as most of Fuzzy Logic too. Joyous)

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1641
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 7/1/2013 5:32:31 PM   
england_cmr

I'm a Beyonce fan and I accept that she most probably does hardly any writing on her songs despite getting credit for it - amongst her fans, this is opinion is extremely unpopular! I think it is very much a case of 'Change a word, get a third.'

On a side note but still related, I don't particularly care either way if a singer writes their own songs or not.

1) Inception
2) Wall - E
3) Beetlejuice
4) Big Fish
5) Terminator 2: Judgement Day
6) Spirited Away
666) Battleship

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 1642
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 7/1/2013 5:51:07 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Radiator and Geurilla were always my firm favourites but, to my shame, I never really listened to Love Kraft much when it came out - other than Laser Beam nowt in particular stood out then I got sidetracked by other records and kind of forgot to give it a proper listen. Anyway, having re-visited their entire back catalogue recently, I realised what a cloth-eared fool I was - I can't get enough of the soulful, introspective Baccarach-tastic likes of Walk You Home, Cloudberries, Atomik Lust and (album highligh) Frequency.
Radiator does take some beating, mind. The second time I saw them live was a few weeks after it came out and they played virtually the whole record (as well as most of Fuzzy Logic too. Joyous)

Out of interest have you heard any of the pre SFA stuff at all?

I still have a copy of the 2nd and 3rd Ffa Coffi Pawb (an inspired name) albums (Clymhalio and Hei Vidal!) but they're on tape and I haven't owned a cassette player for about 10 years. I remember really liking them both back in the day and I'd be interested to see how they hold up these days.

I'm guessing that the probability of you having heard them are pretty slim though. They were pretty much a local band (Gruff was born in South Wales but went to school a few miles up the road from me) playing mainly Welsh songs. They were massive in the Welsh music scene but I have no idea how much exposure, if any, they had outside of Wales.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 1643
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 8/1/2013 12:47:29 PM   
horribleives

Nah, I was aware they'd done other stuff but never heard any of it. Though one of my mates had a demo by one of Gruff Rhys's former bands that he'd bought at a gig in about 1993 so I'm guessing that was the same group. Ordinarily I'd have asked for a listen but he used to smugly bring it up every time anyone mentioned SFA so I would always refuse to entertain him and swiftly change the subject. Ah, I miss being a teenager.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1644
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 8/1/2013 12:57:49 PM   
AxlReznor

Chinese Democracy by Guns N' Roses may have taken too long to make, but it's also an under-appreciated gem that is judged more for who isn't playing on it than for its actual music.

Post #: 1645
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 8/1/2013 4:44:58 PM   
UTB

You can't really blame people for judging it by who isn't playing on it because he kept the name. Had the band been called Axl Rose & The Nobodies people would have said "you know, this aint bad".

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 1646
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 8/1/2013 4:53:28 PM   
horribleives

Even Slash and Duff would have struggled to polish that monumental turd.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 8/1/2013 4:54:11 PM >

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1647
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 8/1/2013 4:59:01 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB
You can't really blame people for judging it by who isn't playing on it because he kept the name. Had the band been called Axl Rose & The Nobodies people would have said "you know, this aint bad".

Maybe. I don't see the point in getting bogged down in the politics and the who did what to who, and who is and isn't playing, and what the band is called. I just enjoy what I've got... which is quite a bit considering there are now at least three bands that I'm a fan of touring and (sometimes) releasing new music where there used to be one.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1648
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 2/2/2013 2:12:47 AM   
horribleives

I sometimes wish Fugazi had just thought 'fuck it' and signed to one of the major labels salivating over them in the '90s so more people could have heard how absolutely fucking awesome they were.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 1649
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 23/2/2013 10:27:12 PM   
Juice Terry

Happy hardcore is ace!
Some of the most beautiful music ever made is trance.
The early nineties rave scene was one of the most inventive and creative periods in music history.
The Prodigy's best album, by a considerable distance, is Experience.

Better call Saul

Post #: 1650
Page:   <<   < prev  52 53 54 [55] 56   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion Page: <<   < prev  52 53 54 [55] 56   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI