Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 2:49:23 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

just out of interest what would you class as real hip hop. I ask not to be an irritating sod but because hip hop is a genre that I have never really got in to and I am always looking to expand my musical horizons so anything you would reccomend?

There's tons of real Hip Hop out there most of what get's played these days is more rap/RnB. Hip Hop encompasses not just music but graffti art, spoken word and much more. A good place to start if your looking to explore Hip Hop would be to start with the bigger names like De La Soul, The Roots, early Nas, early Outkast, Talib Kwali, Dilated Peoples and then go from there. Check out the artists who these guys name check and your bound to find a style within hip hop that suites. There's lots of good UK stuff about as well such as Jehst, Taskforce, Lewis Parker, Phi Life Cypher. A good site to get your hip hop is a website called suspect packages. They do all kinds of UK based stuff and probably do mix cd's so you can try a bit of all sorts..

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 31
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 2:51:35 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Admit it, dance/rave music is the same tune remixed over and over again with a helium voice dubbed in.

Girls Aloud put no effort into their music.  Think about it, they have a new album out every 6 months while real artists spend 3 or 4 years creating their next record.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fanboyslayer

The Stone Roses are rubbish.

U2 are just hideously over rated.

Led Zeppelin are not as good as everyone bangs on about

The Stone Roses have a terrible name.  They sound like a tribute band.

U2 and Led Zeppelin are fantastic in my opinion, two of my favourite songs.  U2's best song is One, while Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven is one of the best written songs ever.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leomuse

Red Hot Chili Peppers are one of the dullest acts working today.

They are a superb live act.  Not dull whatsoever.  Scar Tissue is arguably their best song.

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 32
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 3:48:20 PM   
Giant Green Rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: parsonage84

Nirvana really aint as great as people go on about, they did do some good tunes granted but thats about it

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible is one of the greatest albums of all time even if a little disturbing at times

Surely it's common knowledge that Holy Bible is one of the albums of the 90s! However - In Utero by Nirvana is an album with a similar feel and is also excellent; far superior to Nevermind IMO. It's dark, relentless and bleak - it's substantial. Unplugged in New York is also excellent.

U2 - the most overated band in the world. I mean, their 80s stuff completely pathetic, but there were many many indie bamds in the 80s that were far better anyhow; Joy Division, The Cure, The Smiths, The Chameleons, Depeche Mode, Echo and the Bunnymen, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Pixies, Sonic Youth and even REM, to name about ten.

Once there was a little bunny who had a little furry tail and a little shiny nose. But the electrodeath cloud of commerce strangled it and its foxhole was converted to a parking lot, a parking lot, a parking lot. Ample parking asphalted over bunny bones. Everyone everyone get in.

(in reply to parsonage84)
Post #: 33
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 4:38:16 PM   
Hardcore Raver

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Admit it, dance/rave music is the same tune remixed over and over again with a helium voice dubbed in.

Ha! It's hard to argue with such an idiotic statement like that, so I won't bother.

Sleeper were the best band from the britpop era.
Mike Skinner is one of the best lyricists working today.
Talented DJs are musicians in their own right and don't merely play other peoples records.
Just because a band is 'political' doesn't mean that they are good.
Good pop music is no less worthy than good rock music.
People who dismiss entire genres of music based on a few songs are close-minded idiots.

Love Football. Hate FIFA.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 34
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 5:06:52 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hardcore Raver

"Your fit, your fit, but my gosh don't you know it" Ahh listen to the genius

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Hardcore Raver)
Post #: 35
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 5:27:09 PM   
Hardcore Raver

quote:

quote:

Perhaps not his finest hour, but songs like 'Weak Become Heros', 'Blinded By the Light' and 'Empty Cans' are just brilliant, and I think that 'I Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way' is one of the most beautiful love songs of the past few years.

Post #: 36
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 5:57:18 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Perhaps not his finest hour, but songs like 'Weak Become Heros', 'Blinded By the Light' and 'Empty Cans' are just brilliant, and I think that 'I Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way' is one of the most beautiful love songs of the past few years.

Each to there own.  Maybe it's more a guy thing I don't find his songs that relatable but his perspective is very much from a lads point of view I would say but I only know the singles he's released.  Is Blinded By the Light the one about his dad and the video is him on the train? 

(in reply to Hardcore Raver)
Post #: 37
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 7:00:25 PM   
NadaPlissken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

Rhydian was the only contestant in the history of the show to actually have 'the X factor'.

I'll elaborate by saying he's probably one of the best durable vocalists of the last 30 years.
I will now void my opinion by saying:
  • Duran Duran have consistently produced excellent music ever since they formed.  "Red Carpet Massacre" was their best album since Notorious in 1986.
  • SexyBack is one of the best pop hits of the decade.
  • Dead or Alive were not a one hit wonder, and provided some of the best dance music of the 80s and 90s.
  • "Chasing Cars" makes me want to vomit.
  • Macca's portion of "A Day In The Life" brings it down a notch.
  • Bowie is my favourite artist, but I maintain that Fame is the only track on Young Americans that isn't uninspired dirge.
  • You don't have "diverse" taste just because you can find two albums in your collection that clash.
  • "I Owe You Nothing" by Bros is a pop music masterpiece.
  • Gary Glitter's music was quite decent.

Ross Kemp invented Spain.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 38
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 7:05:50 PM   
ichi

The only great sound that My Chemical Romance could make would be the screams they produce while they burn in a hideous petrol station explosion.

Muse are seriously overrated.

Post #: 39
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 7:16:19 PM   
Hardcore Raver

quote:

Each to there own.  Maybe it's more a guy thing I don't find his songs that relatable but his perspective is very much from a lads point of view I would say but I only know the singles he's released.  Is Blinded By the Light the one about his dad and the video is him on the train? 

No, it's a song about him going clubbing and doing E. You could be right about the gender thing, I'd never really thought about that. Also I think that I relate more to some of his songs because I dabble in drugs myself every so often, and I've never heard the effects of E described as well as in 'Weak Become Heroes' and 'Blinded By the Light'. I'd also say that he's probably the best act I've ever seen live (discounting DJs), but that's more down to personal taste than anything else.

Post #: 40
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 7:32:05 PM   
Mozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

Neil Diamond walks off stage after performing at The Band's farewell concert, filmed by Martin Scorsese and later released as The Last Waltz. Bob Dylan is standing in the wings, waiting to go on. As Diamond passes him, he says to Dylan "Beat that!", to which Dylan replies, "What do you want me to do, fall asleep?"

An appropriate intro to my opinion: Bob Dylan is a god-awful turd sack.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 41
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 8:07:39 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I agree about Phil Collins. I think he's a greatly underrated singer and writer.

Just a shame he is a massive dickhead.  Bruce Springsteen when he goes wrong goes really wrong.  I heard him singing Santa Claus is Coming to Town earlier today and it was one of the most painful experiences I have ever suffered through. 

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 42
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 9:04:11 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

Girls Aloud put no effort into their music.  Think about it, they have a new album out every 6 months while real artists spend 3 or 4 years creating their next record.

I'm pretty sure that one's a popular opinion.  The Arctic Monkeys always have been and always will be, shite. 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 43
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 9:49:11 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazy wolf eyes

The Arctic Monkeys always have been and always will be, shite. 

All their songs sound the same.

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 44
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 10:22:25 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

just out of interest what would you class as real hip hop. I ask not to be an irritating sod but because hip hop is a genre that I have never really got in to and I am always looking to expand my musical horizons so anything you would reccomend?

There's tons of real Hip Hop out there most of what get's played these days is more rap/RnB. Hip Hop encompasses not just music but graffti art, spoken word and much more. A good place to start if your looking to explore Hip Hop would be to start with the bigger names like De La Soul, The Roots, early Nas, early Outkast, Talib Kwali, Dilated Peoples and then go from there. Check out the artists who these guys name check and your bound to find a style within hip hop that suites. There's lots of good UK stuff about as well such as Jehst, Taskforce, Lewis Parker, Phi Life Cypher. A good site to get your hip hop is a website called suspect packages. They do all kinds of UK based stuff and probably do mix cd's so you can try a bit of all sorts..

Also check out the old Sugar Hill records, Grandmaster Flash and The Sugar Hill gang are ace.

Mine:

A Band has absolutely no excuse for taking years over releasing albums. There's absolutely no way it takes three years to write and record 12 songs.
- David Bowie produced 3 fantastic albums and then dissapeared in a sea of cocaine and save for the odd 45 has never recovered
- T.Rex are one of the best bands of all time
- Damon Albarn is one of the most interesting artists of the last 15 years
- Elastica's debut is one of the best albums of the 1990s
- Primal Scream are on thier day one of the best bands around and XTRMNTR is one of the best albums of the last 10 years
- Paul McCartney was far more talented and wrote better songs than John Lennon. In and Out of the Beatles
- Patrick Wolf and Regina Spektor are probably the most interesting artists around at the moment.
- Prince always was a genius.And Planet Earth was one of the best albums of this year
- Supergrass are one of the best bands of the 1990s without question
- Everybody would like the best music from each genre if only they had the time and inclination to give it all a chance

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 45
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 11:39:44 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

I'm pretty sure that one's a popular opinion.  The Arctic Monkeys always have been and always will be, shite. 

I'll echo Rhubarb's sentiments here - Girls Aloud release albums at the same rate as peak-era Dylan, Hendrix and The Rolling Stones. Bruce Springsteen has had top-notch albums out every year for the past three. It's not a mark of quality spending an age writing 45 minutes of music. See Coldplay's X & Y.

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 19/12/2007 1:59:06 AM >

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 46
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 19/12/2007 9:17:08 AM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

- Prince always was a genius.And Planet Earth was one of the best albums of this year

I haven't heard Planet Earth but I quite agree that Prince is absolutley brilliant!

I also agree with what some else said earlier that Dylan is rubbish. I always prefer his songs done by someone else his voice just goes right through me.

- Justin Timberlake is by far the best pop artist around today and makes bloody good tunes.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 47
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 19/12/2007 10:12:18 AM   
Amelie_Scotland

Leona Lewis is a shrieking banshee who sounds like a weaker Whitney Houston. Her song 'Bleeding Love' is a terrible song. I agree with whoever said her cover of 'Run' is atrocious.

I despise Radiohead.

Apart from 'Heart Shaped Box' Nirvana aren't very good.

Oasis are torture to listen to.

Rufus Wainwright and Regina Spektor are the best singers working today.

I prefer Guns N' Roses cover of 'Sympathy for the Devil' to the original...

But the band itself is overrated.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

Post #: 48
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 19/12/2007 10:25:03 AM   
KennyM

wow only thirteen posts before someone said "Oasis are shit", though that's not an unpopular opinion on these boards, and 42 post's before the Arctic Monkey's were slated! Must be some sort of record

Anyhoo, here's some of mine

-REM are terrible
-Radiohead are the best British band (and possibly overall band) of the past 20-25 years
-Scouting For Girl's are quite possibly the worst band I've ever heard, their songs actually do sound the same
-Radio1 isn't all that bad
-Kasabian are one of the best live acts around today
-Babyshambles are good
-Doves are the most underrated band around with Lost Souls a criminally underrated album 
-Coldplay have made two cracking albums and one decent one
-Despite a smuttering (love that word) of really good albums this year, music in Britain isn't in a healthy state
-Most American music is rubbish. I know I'm generalising a bit hear and there's probably loads of brill American bands but not the one's I've heard
-The Verve shouldn't have reformed, even though Ashcroft's solo stuff was shit
-Oasis and the Arctic Monkey's are good
-Lily Allen isn't

Post #: 49
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 19/12/2007 10:57:39 AM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: KennyM

wow only thirteen posts before someone said "Oasis are shit", though that's not an unpopular opinion on these boards, and 42 post's before the Arctic Monkey's were slated! Must be some sort of record

Anyhoo, here's some of mine

-REM are terrible
-Radiohead are the best British band (and possibly overall band) of the past 20-25 years
-Scouting For Girl's are quite possibly the worst band I've ever heard, their songs actually do sound the same
-Radio1 isn't all that bad
-Kasabian are one of the best live acts around today
-Babyshambles are good

-Doves are the most underrated band around with Lost Souls a criminally underrated album 
-Coldplay have made two cracking albums and one decent one
-Despite a smuttering (love that word) of really good albums this year, music in Britain isn't in a healthy state
-Most American music is rubbish. I know I'm generalising a bit hear and there's probably loads of brill American bands but not the one's I've heard
-The Verve shouldn't have reformed, even though Ashcroft's solo stuff was shit
-Oasis and the Arctic Monkey's are good
-Lily Allen isn't

I know a lot of people who'd agree with these three, Kasabian are probably the best live act i've seen. And Doherty is still one of the best song writers around today. I just hope he's alive long enough for more people to get his music.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 50
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 19/12/2007 11:11:27 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

The Streets are one of the worst bands I have ever had the misfortune to hear.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 51
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 19/12/2007 11:12:59 AM   
Rumbaabaa

quote:

It's not controversial to say Oasis are shit. But let's delve further...

Contrary to conventional wisdom, Noel Gallagher is not the most talented member of Oasis. Liam is. Whilst Oasis' first songs way back in 1994 were great, Noel clearly had to work extremely hard for years to get them that good, and even then he stole from previous songwriters. Since then fame and money have made him too lazy to work as hard at songwriting, and it shows in the songs. He doesn't have the natural talent to keep that level of quality up. And as a guitarist he pales in comparison to his peers (Bernard Butler, Graham Coxon, Jonny Greenwood etc). The only area in which Oasis can rival other bands is their vocals - but only when Liam sings.

Conventional wisdom would also have it that Noel is the clever brother. Again this is rubbish. Both Liam and Noel are thick - it's just that Liam knows this whilst Noel thinks otherwise. I don't remember Liam going to Downing Street to shake hands with Tony Blair, or wishing that Damon and Alex from Blur got AIDS and died (one of the most appalling things that anyone in the music industry has ever said). Noel went on to regret both these incidents - after it was pointed out to him by the press that they were really stupid things to do.

< Message edited by Rumbaabaa -- 19/12/2007 4:12:05 PM >

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 52
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 19/12/2007 11:28:00 AM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rumbaabaa

The only area in which Oasis can rival other bands is their vocals - but only when Liam sings.

I've never understood why people think Liams a great singer he's bloody terrible. I remember a few years back a friend of mind going on that he had the best voice in rock. Now my friend has always been a little out there so I though it was just him but I've heard this a few times now and I just don't get it to me it sounds like monotonous droneing. It's like he just can't be arsed.

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 53
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 19/12/2007 11:56:21 AM   
Donnie Murdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amelie_Scotland

Leona Lewis is a shrieking banshee who sounds like a weaker Whitney Houston. Her song 'Bleeding Love' is a terrible song. I agree with whoever said her cover of 'Run' is atrocious.

It was me.  Unfortunately no-one else seems to agree with us.  Which I suppose is the whole point of this thread...

My Blog - http://weeredsquirrel.com

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 54
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 19/12/2007 12:27:40 PM   
tarantinofan

quote:

Most American music is rubbish. I know I'm generalising a bit hear and there's probably loads of brill American bands but not the one's I've heard

American bands have had the best of independant music this year i'd say (and many years proceeding this one with the exception of Canada)

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 55
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 19/12/2007 12:33:12 PM   
matty_b

RHCP are a tedious bunch of millionaires repeating the same riffs endlessly

The audience for Oasis and Westlife are the same - i.e. gullible fools that buy their output regardless of quality

The Verve are pompous bores

John Lennon's solo output is utter bilge and he's only rated now because he's been dead for so long

Graham Coxon was the real talent in Blur - Albarn writes a decent tune, but is a patronising berk with no soul to his music

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to tarantinofan)
Post #: 56
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 19/12/2007 1:12:04 PM   
pocketrocket

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

The audience for Oasis and Westlife are the same - i.e. gullible fools that buy their output regardless of quality

John Lennon's solo output is utter bilge and he's only rated now because he's been dead for so long

Graham Coxon was the real talent in Blur - Albarn writes a decent tune, but is a patronising berk with no soul to his music

Whole heartedly agree with the RHCP being totally overrated, they are dull.

Albarn is a lyrical genius who can turn his hand and vocal to differnt styles;
  • Blurs output was awesome barring the Great Escape except for the Universal
  • Gorillaz...
  • Mali music
  • The Good, the Bad, the Queen

My (un)popular opinions

The Bee Gees and Abba made fuckin awful, awful music.
The 70's was shit and so was most the 90's
80' was where it was at
The Beatles were the best band ever, ever.
The Doves best thing out of Manchester apart from Joy Division, although Curtis was from Macclefield.

< Message edited by pocketrocket -- 19/12/2007 1:18:51 PM >

"A life Jmmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for the moments that never come." Lester Freamon

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 57
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 19/12/2007 1:13:12 PM   
Rumbaabaa

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Hardly controversial...

quote:

How true!

quote:

Like many Blur fans, I used to think Graham had the most talent. But their post-Blur output shows that Damon is even more talented than Graham. Demon Days is at least as good as any Blur album, and you can't have listened to The Good, The Bad and The Queen (or half a dozen Blur songs) if you think his music is soulless.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 58
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 19/12/2007 1:16:10 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

wow only thirteen posts before someone said "Oasis are shit", though that's not an unpopular opinion on these boards, and 42 post's before the Arctic Monkey's were slated! Must be some sort of record

Oasis are still pretty good, if you ask me - if their last two albums [and Be Here Now] had been released by any other band they'd have been regarded far more highly than they are. As for the Arctic Monkeys, their first album is very good but Favourite Worst NIghtmare really isn't up to much; it only has three or four good tracks on it. Leave Before The Lights Come On might be the best thing they've done though.

I agree with the one about the Chilis being dull, apart from the odd song like Can't Stop.

Also, I've said this before, but The Strokes were never up to much, even in 2001. Juicebox is better than anything I've heard off Is This It.

< Message edited by tommyjarvis -- 19/12/2007 1:18:00 PM >

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 59
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 19/12/2007 5:49:29 PM   
matty_b

Swing music is just dreadful, posturing shit. The Rat Pack were smug and cringeworthy with Sinatra in particular being a contemptible little shit. It's only listened to now by middle aged men with a spread desperately trying to show how "hip" and "cool" they are.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI