Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Your Unpopular Musical Opinion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Your Unpopular Musical Opinion Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 2:04:23 PM   
tommyjarvis

Apologies if there's one of these threads already, but I couldn't find one. This is a chance to get any unpopular views you have off your chest. Here's some of mine:

- The Darkness were pretty good. The world could do with more upbeat, fun rock bands

- U2's recent output [Vertigo, Electrical Storm, Elevation, The Saints Are Coming etc.] is far superior to dirge like One, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Pride and With or Without You

- Smashing Pumpkins were a much better singles band than albums band

- Liking obscure, underground music doesn't make you cooler or more cultured than those who predominantly listen to mainstream stuff.

- Previously little-known bands becoming successful does not equate selling out. It's their career and they need to make a decent living out of it.

- The Beatles were good but not great. Just because they were massively influential doesn't mean they were the greatest band ever.

That'll do for now. Anyone else?

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!
Post #: 1
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 2:15:05 PM   
jonson

I agree with your final 2 there Tommy. I can remember the furore when Nirvava signed to Geffen and the cries of "sellout" I mean, to be fair 90% of people start bands to be rich and famous, then get mocked for doing so.
Your point about the Beatles is also one of my opinions.
Personally I can't stand them, far to far up their own arses. Mcartney is a twat, Harrison was better when he went solo, Ringo Starr found his niche narrating Thomas the Tank Engine and Lennon was a hypocritical tosser.

Other unpopular opinions?
Neil Diamond and Phil Collins are both brilliant and shockingly underrated, Radiohead and Manic Street Preachers are (now) both crap and shockingly overrated.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 2
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 2:18:20 PM   
Funkyrae

Elvis Presley.  The first manufactured pop star.

That's me that is!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 3
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 2:21:36 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

- The Darkness were pretty good. The world could do with more upbeat, fun rock bands

I don't know The Darkness, but I agree with you about the world needing more upbeat, fun rock bands.

quote:

- U2's recent output [Vertigo, Electrical Storm, Elevation, The Saints Are Coming etc.] is far superior to dirge like One, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Pride and With or Without You

U2 is arse, always has been, always will be.

quote:

- Smashing Pumpkins were a much better singles band than albums band

Probably. Well-known as they are, they were well-known more for their hits, so, yeah.

quote:

- Liking obscure, underground music doesn't make you cooler or more cultured than those who predominantly listen to mainstream stuff.

Not necessarily, but it does make you more adventurous and shows that you're up for a challenge.

quote:

- Previously little-known bands becoming successful does not equate selling out. It's their career and they need to make a decent living out of it.

Totally agree.

quote:

- The Beatles were good but not great. Just because they were massively influential doesn't mean they were the greatest band ever.

Totally agree

Here are some of my own unpopular opinions.

- Marilyn Manson is one of the greatest artists around today. In music, and in painting, he is enormously talented, and with his upcoming film, he will be able to showcase that talent to a much wider audience.

- Deep Purple are overrated. Smoke On The Water is a good song, other than that they're nothing special.

- RnB is NOT the shitty pseudo-gangster electronic shit they play on the radio. RnB is Motown, and Michael Jackson.

- Jazz has been undeservingly forgotten.

- People who say classical music is the best solely because it's older and stood the test of time (without any other explanation) are people who are afraid of change, to admit that good things are still being created. Ditto those who say good films stopped after Casablanca (and I know a few of those )

There you go.

Good thread, Tommy.

Post #: 4
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 3:10:07 PM   
parsonage84

Nirvana really aint as great as people go on about, they did do some good tunes granted but thats about it

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible is one of the greatest albums of all time even if a little disturbing at times

U2 are deserving of being on of the biggest bands around just a shame that Bono is a bit of a dick at times

John Squire is one of the best guitarist of past 20 years and shame hasnt done more music

Robbie Williams really is shite but not sure how unpopular that one is

The Jerk store called, they're running out of you

the King forever rembered 1958 - 2009

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 5
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 3:15:59 PM   
Donnie Murdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

Yes and no.  Vertigo and Electrical Storm are better than the tunes you mention, but I really dislike Elevation.  "A mole, digging in a hole, digging up my soul..." for fuck's sake Bono, you're better than that!  I still say Where The Streets Have No Name is the best thing U2 have ever done.

quote:

Liking obscure, underground music doesn't make you cooler or more cultured than those who predominantly listen to mainstream stuff.

Previously little-known bands becoming successful does not equate selling out. It's their career and they need to make a decent living out of it.

I'm all for people seeking out lesser known talent, but these people become arseholes when they decide to dislike the band if they become successful.  They are also arseholes if they think that being a small band is somehow a factor in how good they are.

quote:

The Beatles were good but not great. Just because they were massively influential doesn't mean they were the greatest band ever.

Amen.

As for me.....
  • I seem to be the only person on this forum that would rather spend a year being waterboarded in Abu Graibh than listen to that Leona Lewis Snow Patrol cover again.  It's like the worst excesses of Whitney Houston, Celine Dion and Mariah Carey making a wailing yet completely anodyne version of what was originally quite a nice song.
  • Syd Barrett was not a wonderful creative genius.  Pink Floyd were shite when he was in the band, and it took David Gilmour to reign in Roger Waters' ego enough to make the amazing Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here.

And for the really unpopular one.
  • Busted saved modern music.  Think about it.  In the late 90s/early 00s the kids were mainly into various boy/girl bands (Boyzone, Steps, Westlife etc).  When Busted came along, suddenly the kids got into pretendy pop-punk stuff.  The side-effect of this is that it was then a far smaller leap to the like of Green Day etc, which by 2003 allowed indie bands like Franz Ferdinand to have pretty sizeable hits.  By the time of the demise of Top of the Pops, quite a sizeable chunk of the charts were taken up by real bands, and the boy/girl bands had largely disappeared.

My Blog - http://weeredsquirrel.com

Post #: 6
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 3:29:46 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I agree with your final 2 there Tommy. I can remember the furore when Nirvava signed to Geffen and the cries of "sellout" I mean, to be fair 90% of people start bands to be rich and famous, then get mocked for doing so.
Your point about the Beatles is also one of my opinions.
Personally I can't stand them, far to far up their own arses. Mcartney is a twat, Harrison was better when he went solo, Ringo Starr found his niche narrating Thomas the Tank Engine and Lennon was a hypocritical tosser.

Other unpopular opinions?
Neil Diamond and Phil Collins are both brilliant and shockingly underrated, Radiohead and Manic Street Preachers are (now) both crap and shockingly overrated.

You know Neil Diamond is doing his 'Farewell Tour' next year?

I agree about Phil Collins. I think he's a greatly underrated singer and writer.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 7
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 3:34:58 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: parsonage84

Nirvana really aint as great as people go on about, they did do some good tunes granted but thats about it

I guess it depends how old you are. Nirvana burst onto the scene when I was 17/18, and they really did define a generation. Clubs opened on the back of Nevermind, a whole new phase started, a fashion, a guitar pedal, a haircut and a new star to worship. Maybe now looking back, especially when I actually prefer Soundgarden, Mudhoney and Pearl Jam as bands, they may look like the odd ones out, but whether you are referring to their musical greatness or iconic greatness I don't kow. Again I can't describe what a change in my life (and most of the people I know) Nirvana had when I first heard Floyd the Barber round some lads house (fuck me did he have amazing taste. We listened to Pavement, Helmet, Screaming Trees and Mudhoney before they even relased stuff in this country)

(in reply to parsonage84)
Post #: 8
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 3:36:17 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Yes and hopefully I'm going. I've admittedly seen him once before (with my Dad) and he is very good live, he's got an amazing voice and has written to cracking tunes.

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 9
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 3:46:09 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Yes and hopefully I'm going. I've admittedly seen him once before (with my Dad) and he is very good live, he's got an amazing voice and has written to cracking tunes.

We got some old LPs out the other night and amongst them was ‘Soolaimon’. It’s still fantastic to listen to

Unpopular Musical Opinions:

Il Divo are amazing singers and it’s not due to the fact that they’re hot that they’re so popular and successful. At all.
Shouting and spitting at the mic (aka several Foo Fighters tracks) do not constitute as good music.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 10
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 4:04:57 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Neil Diamond walks off stage after performing at The Band's farewell concert, filmed by Martin Scorsese and later released as The Last Waltz. Bob Dylan is standing in the wings, waiting to go on. As Diamond passes him, he says to Dylan "Beat that!", to which Dylan replies, "What do you want me to do, fall asleep?"

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 17/12/2007 4:05:17 PM >

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

Post #: 11
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 4:09:43 PM   
matthewforan

I agree with The Beatles one. Let's see my unpopular music opinion, i've no idea. Maybe;

Modest Mouse are one of the best bands around
Karen O of The Yeah Yeah Yeahs is one of the best front people out there
Radiohead aren't that good
Manic Street Preachers are awful
Hayley Williams of Paramore is a hottie

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 12
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 4:16:35 PM   
parsonage84

quote:

quote:

I guess it depends how old you are. Nirvana burst onto the scene when I was 17/18, and they really did define a generation. Clubs opened on the back of Nevermind, a whole new phase started, a fashion, a guitar pedal, a haircut and a new star to worship. Maybe now looking back, especially when I actually prefer Soundgarden, Mudhoney and Pearl Jam as bands, they may look like the odd ones out, but whether you are referring to their musical greatness or iconic greatness I don't kow. Again I can't describe what a change in my life (and most of the people I know) Nirvana had when I first heard Floyd the Barber round some lads house (fuck me did he have amazing taste. We listened to Pavement, Helmet, Screaming Trees and Mudhoney before they even relased stuff in this country)

That might well be the case as by time got into music Cobain already killed himself, so maybe your right. Think its more the iconic nature of Cobain more that anything that annoys me as wonder if he still be worshipped by all the depressed teenagers in the country if hadnt killed himself

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 13
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 7:45:27 PM   
Mason Verger

Oasis are shit.

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

Post #: 14
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 7:48:31 PM   
Funkyrae

Couldn't agree more.  I wish they'd stuck to their original plan of releasing three albums and then disappearing.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 15
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 7:52:16 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

Oasis are shit.

Short, and to the point!  I totally agree, they've had a couple of good songs but to be honest they just sound like a bad Beatles rip off band, and I really hated the way they bad mouthed Damon Albarn, he's so much more talented than those fuckwits. 

The White Stripes are bloody awful, I'd rather listen to cats having sex than have that "music" offend my ears. 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

Post #: 16
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 7:58:58 PM   
bobatim

I really hate Radiohead, they are boring and monotonus. I really like KT Tunstall and think that she is a very acclomplished songwriter

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 17
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 8:03:36 PM   
Biggus

quote:

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible is one of the greatest albums of all time even if a little disturbing at times

U2 are deserving of being on of the biggest bands around just a shame that Bono is a bit of a dick at times

John Squire is one of the best guitarist of past 20 years and shame hasnt done more music

Robbie Williams really is shite but not sure how unpopular that one is

Seconded. I liked both his solo albums too. Reni is just as high on the wasted talent list, if not higher.

The Spice Girls made some fantastic pop songs. As did Steps.

The Bee Gees are extremely average vocalists, they just harmonise well because they're brothers.

The Kaiser Chiefs are just a pop group. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bruce Springsteen is criminally overlooked in this country.

Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street are all better than anything The Beatles ever recorded.

Primal Scream are the best band of the last 10 years.

The deaths of Sam Cooke and Otis Redding are the greatest losses in the history of popular music.

Rhydian was the only contestant in the history of the show to actually have 'the X factor'.

< Message edited by Biggus -- 17/12/2007 10:50:54 PM >

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

Post #: 18
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 8:06:16 PM   
Hardcore Raver

Happy hardcore is great
There is a lot more invention in dance music than in many other genres
Steps were a great pop act
Dance music is real music
Rave music is not just for people off their tits on ecstasy
The Prodigy have got progressively worse with each album
Songs don't have to 'mean something' to be good
Lady Sovereign is brilliant

Love Football. Hate FIFA.

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 19
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 8:10:00 PM   
Mason Verger

Jamiroquai's records all sound the same.

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 20
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 8:24:46 PM   
Leomuse

Red Hot Chili Peppers are one of the dullest acts working today.

Post #: 21
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 10:39:48 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

Jamiroquai's records all sound the same.

haha, This one I certainly agree with!

as for my own, I enjoy a little bit of Lily Allen from time to time, but only a couple of songs... still... It's my guilty pleasure

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

Post #: 22
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 11:05:27 PM   
swan

indie pop is shit,real hip hop is one of the most inspiring and innovative genres of all time

**its that warriors vs baseball fury element
that glitches motor sensory developement
i am a star really,**

cmyk

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 23
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 11:14:31 PM   
parsonage84

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

quote:

Seconded. I liked both his solo albums too. Reni is just as high on the wasted talent list, if not higher.

Agree again thought Squire's solo stuff was pretty good
Continue the Stone Roses theme

Reni is not only the best drummer i ever heard but also one of the most talented musicians of his generation and can play several instruments just as good as he can play drums

Also Stone Roses were better then Oasis and should of been alot bigger then they were

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 24
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 11:41:02 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

Also Stone Roses were better then Oasis and should of been alot bigger then they were

I agree with all my heart!

quote:

,real hip hop is one of the most inspiring and innovative genres of all time

just out of interest what would you class as real hip hop. I ask not to be an irritating sod but because hip hop is a genre that I have never really got in to and I am always looking to expand my musical horizons so anything you would reccomend?

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

Post #: 25
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 17/12/2007 11:45:59 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobatim

I really hate Radiohead, they are boring and monotonus. I really like KT Tunstall and think that she is a very acclomplished songwriter

I actually bought her first album on the basis of her appearance on Jools Holland singing Black Horse And The Cherry Tree and was a tad dissapointed when I heard it - polished to within an inch of its life. I was hoping she would be some folky kook. But I saw her on Later... again a few days ago and there's a great, simple performance of 'Hopeless' on the site that I can't get enough of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/series30/episode07/

quote:

Bruce Springsteen is criminally overlooked in this country.

This isn't an unpopular opinion, it's a sad state of affairs.

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 18/12/2007 12:22:37 AM >

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 26
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 8:03:01 AM   
tarantinofan

quote:

ORIGINAL: swan

indie pop is shit,real hip hop is one of the most inspiring and innovative genres of all time

what would you class as indie pop? Of Montreal, Buelah, New Pornographers, Saturday Looks Good To Me, The Shins and more are pretty unfuckable with.

(in reply to swan)
Post #: 27
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 9:01:55 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: tarantinofan

quote:

ORIGINAL: swan

what would you class as indie pop? Of Montreal, Buelah, New Pornographers, Saturday Looks Good To Me, The Shins and more are pretty unfuckable with.

The Shins cover various genres of music though. I don't see how you could paint them with the same brush as an entire network of "indie" rock bands.

(in reply to tarantinofan)
Post #: 28
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 11:55:23 AM   
Toby Monroe

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree again thought Squire's solo stuff was pretty good
Continue the Stone Roses theme

Reni is not only the best drummer i ever heard but also one of the most talented musicians of his generation and can play several instruments just as good as he can play drums

Also Stone Roses were better then Oasis and should of been alot bigger then they were

Ian Brown's FEAR is better than anything the Stone Roses ever did. And his Golden Greats album is superior to any post Roses guff that Squire put out. Slightly off topic, but related, Chris Helm was a vain tit, much in the mould of your average T4 presenter.

The Stone Roses minus John Leckie's production are not worth the skids in a tramps undies.

And the Royal Drummers of Burundi are better drummers than Reni.

Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Genesis are all bloated pompous suburbanites playing at being rock stars.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

Post #: 29
RE: Your Unpopular Musical Opinion - 18/12/2007 2:38:45 PM  1 votes
Fanboyslayer

Right here goes..

The Stone Roses are rubbish.

Oasis have always been awful.

U2 are just hideously over rated.

Led Zeppelin are not as good as everyone bangs on about.

Sonic Youth are tedious.

Country is music is actually pretty good.

Dolly Parton is one of the greatest female songwriters.

Grime is not Hip Hop it's people with no talent making noise.

I'm sure I have more but I think that's a good start

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Your Unpopular Musical Opinion Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI