Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Superman Returns

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: Superman Returns Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 7:33:53 PM   
Larry of Arabia

This hatred of Lois Lane, is it personal or something? She's not Satan.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 91
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 7:48:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

Ok, maybe not hate. But her character was unappealing in the film. Give me Hatcher from the TV show.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 92
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 7:49:24 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

No, she's mother of Satan!

Post #: 93
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 8:34:50 PM   
hawkeye10

That kid is a reason why men, especially supermen, need to wear kryptonite flavoured condoms.

I bet the suits at Warner are all wondering what they were smoking to let that idea through. It makes the idea of a flightless Superman in black fighting a 8-foot tall spider sound appealing.

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 94
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 9:04:59 PM   
darth silas

I havnt watched Smallville since the first few episodes of season 1 where clark seemed to run into kryptonite powered serial killers every week,but Welling wouldnot have made a good Superman for me.Bad actor in my opinion.

I agree with what someone else has said,WB should have got someone who is not obsessed with the donner original to reboot the franchise for the big screen,updating the character for a new audience while still maintaining the integrity of the character.The williams Superman theme should NOT have been used(as much as i love it)because that theme will always belong to christopher reeves Superman.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 95
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 10:53:51 PM   
dracovir

quote:

One problem is that, while Christopher Reeve is THE Superman for all time, Margot Kidder is THE Lois Lane for all time too and as such all Lois's that follow end up being compared to her.  As Rgirvan mentions, Teri Hatcher did an okay job, but then The New Adventures of... was a major departing from the films - not even the Williams theme was used, which helps to distance the show from the films.  Returns however, not only in opening titles and being a film, would see a high bar for thingy-bob-whats-her-name playing Lois to aim for.

It looks like she didn't even try.

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

Post #: 96
RE: Superman Returns - 25/2/2008 9:30:21 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: dracovir

quote:

One problem is that, while Christopher Reeve is THE Superman for all time, Margot Kidder is THE Lois Lane for all time too and as such all Lois's that follow end up being compared to her.  As Rgirvan mentions, Teri Hatcher did an okay job, but then The New Adventures of... was a major departing from the films - not even the Williams theme was used, which helps to distance the show from the films.  Returns however, not only in opening titles and being a film, would see a high bar for thingy-bob-whats-her-name playing Lois to aim for.

It looks like she didn't even try.

I very much agree.

Initially who thought it was a good idea to cast a 23 year old who looked 23 as a character who was supposed to be an award winning reporter with a 6 year old son (or however old the gormless wooden doll boy was).  The character herself had no passion to her being a bland and two dimensional figure with minimal personality and nothing showing why she should be such a desirable figure.  The character was also a bitchy individual who was dislikable.  The fact she looked unhealthily thin was something not really related to the character but it was a factor.

It is another example of the character being completely misunderstood by the director and writer and rather than having a passionate and ambitious figure (which still could have played well even with a child as having a child doesn't automatically alter people into bland zombies) with some real spunk (for want of a better word).  In some cases watching this film you could almost think it was made by someone with only a cursory knowledge of the characters involved if any at all.

This was another factor which made the film the biggest cinema dissappointment I have experienced in recent years (to the point that now I find myself incapable of enthusing over any forthcoming film as I expect to find it is as big a let down.  The dirge like quality to the plot which clashed harshly with the primary coloured central character and the gaping chasms of flaws throughout the film just override the good points which I am willing to admit there are a few.  

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 97
RE: Superman Returns - 25/2/2008 10:37:18 AM   
Larry of Arabia

There was some talk a while back that Claire Danes was in the running, I'd have much preferred her. Even I'll admit Bosworth was crap.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 98
RE: Superman Returns - 25/2/2008 10:48:03 AM   
hawkeye10

I think Lois Lane was portrayed as a money-grabbing and status seeking woman. Why fall for James Marsden(rich kid), but dump him when alpha male Supes shows up. Not to mention her catty behaviour towards Clark when she chuckles, in a high school witch way, at his bumbling. Not to mention taking her son to pursue a dangerous story!

And her age was just wrong. She looked like a kid playing dress-up in mommy's clothing.

The geek in me still thinks the only woman Clark should get is Wonder Woman. Frank Miller said it best that they'll be the ideal pairing and their passion could literaly move mountains.

And if only they wrote Clark as Marsdens character. It would have made him really three-dimensional.

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

Post #: 99
RE: Superman Returns - 25/2/2008 11:24:04 AM   
sanchia

And remembering the complete lack of friendship and interplay between the Lois and Clark character which had been such a large part of the realtionship in the original films.  There was a friendly competition whilst in this film as hawkeye states it pretty much came across as a school bully laughing at the "nerd".

I tend to think someone like Carla Gugino would have been able to play the role far better or myriad other actresses.  Bosworth has shown in other films that she is an ok actress but it was just a complete case of miscasting in this example.  That being said Routh was well cast as was Marsden (although he actually came across as being the hero of the piece to me).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 100
RE: Superman Returns - 25/2/2008 11:42:27 AM   
Larry of Arabia

At least they didn't go with Elisha Cuthbert.

Some part of me does wonder why Singer, with a franchise like this, would scrape the barrel with actresses like these to play the female lead. Splash out a bit, Bryan, it's Superman.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 101
RE: Superman Returns - 25/2/2008 12:07:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

I always thought Selma Blair would have made a good Lois Lane.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 102
RE: Superman Returns - 25/2/2008 3:38:20 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I think Jennifer Connolly could have played Lois as well. Bosworth was awful - how they can spend that much money on a movie and miscast someone so badly is beyond me

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 103
RE: Superman Returns - 25/2/2008 3:41:14 PM   
dracovir

Yeah, Kate Bosworth, that's her name.  (There's too many famous Kates in the business these days.)  Wasn't she the one who dumped Orlando Bloom because he wasn't famous enough for her?  I seem to remember some of that crassy 'showbiz gossip' mentioning it sometime around the release of one of the Pirates films...   If it's true, what would that say about her as an individual, and with this role being her biggest to date, as a professional?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 104
RE: Superman Returns - 25/2/2008 3:43:51 PM   
dracovir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I think Jennifer Connolly could have played Lois as well. Bosworth was awful - how they can spend that much money on a movie and miscast someone so badly is beyond me

I agree - she could apply that spunky verve that Lois has when going for that scoop.  I'm not so sure if Selma Blair could pull it off, but as I've only seen a few of her performances (well, to date Cruel Intentions and Hellboy are the only ones I remember at the moment) but she has shown some variety so I wouldn't put this out of her league.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 105
RE: Superman Returns - 27/2/2008 3:55:35 PM   
BOBBYDeNiro

a brilliant four-star film. It kept the feel of the comics, gave time for character development and didn't try to turn him into some 'dark-avenger' as every superhero seems to be these days (Batman, Spiderman 3...). And it did so with humour and irony.

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 106
RE: Superman Returns - 3/3/2008 9:41:02 PM   
bad hat harry

i really like superman returns but having seen it a few times i do think its flawed. i agree that kate bosworth is miscast. shes not even  bad in the movie but everytime shes on screen i think "she looks and sounds just like natalie portman" its really distracting. my perfect choice for lois lane would have been Zooey Deschanel. she looks a lot like margot kidder and is always the interesting to watch. shes got that kind of sparky personality.

i think brandon routh is really good as superman. i hope if they make a sequel that they keep him. i think they got the balance between how much we see of clark kent and superman wrong though. the clark kent personality sort of vanishes half way through the movie if that makes any sense. i did like a sort of slightly more ego driven superman that they showed in the early part of the movie. you really see how much of a kick he gets out of people cheering him and screaming his name.

i can see why people dont like this film. in the first and last 30 minutes of the movie, very little actually happens in terms of plot. it's all character stuff. the last 20 minutes is the superman in hospital/visit to jason and lois sequence.
i can see why it would feel a bit flat or anti-climactic but i liked it and i really enjoy that part of the movie.

i think that kevin spacey  is a good lex luthor but the trouble with lex's storyline is that you only hear about his overall plan and you only see a tiny bit of it. the idea that lex luthor is planning to use the kryptonian crystals to build weapons and technolodgy sounds ike a great outline for the plot but they never show it. my point is that the writers came up with a good plan for the villian to have but didn't show it. you only hear about the experiments hes doing on the crystals, and hows hes unlocking the secrets of the universe i really would've wanted to see that. 

as it is, i think its a really good movie. people always talk about wanting a blockbuster with a brain and this has that. i'd take this movie over something like spiderman 3 or transformers any day. in some respects though, it does feel like half a movie, in the same way that the first x-men did. like this is the first part of a bigger story. from what ive been reading though it looks unlikely that bryan singer is directing the sequel, which is a real shame. i think Superman returns is miles better than the superman 2, and lighyears ahead of 3 and 4. its at least equal to the original superman movie which is mostly fine but i dont think its the perfect movie that people seem to remember.  

crimes against cinema? hardly. definatley not guilty. anyone who thinks this is the worst movie theyve ever seen should go and watch "the gingerdead man" starring gary busey. thats a movie that will make you want to give up the benfits of being alive.

< Message edited by bad hat harry -- 3/3/2008 9:45:08 PM >

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.
Woody Allen

(in reply to BOBBYDeNiro)
Post #: 107
RE: Superman Returns - 16/3/2008 10:08:09 PM   
cdjwfan

As I've already said on the other thread, I wish people would leave Supes alone. Just because it's unlike the other formulaic drivel like Fantastic Four (Which has lots of big fights! And explosions! And ridiculous dialogue!) doesn't mean it should go on trial. NOT GUILTY! NOT GUILTY! NOT BLOODY GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's got a two-day headstart on you, which is more than he needs. Brody's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom. He'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the Grail already.

(in reply to bad hat harry)
Post #: 108
RE: Superman Returns - 16/3/2008 10:21:44 PM   
sanchia

I tend to believe it is on trial more for the complete misunderstanding of the character as is evident in the peeping tom antics with the x ray vision (similar to lurking in a tree with a pair of binoculars) the attempts to break up a happy family for selfish reasons (see the various attempts to win Lois Lane back from Richard White when at that time he was unaware the child was his) The manner in which Lois Lane was a bitchy selfish and bullying individual with few if any redeeming features (see the bully like conversation with regards to Clark Kent which takes place in the Planet office and would not have been out of place in a playground) the creepy sneaking into a childs bedroom at night through the window (yes he may be the father but try to justify sneaking into your childs bedroom through the window without the mother who you are not living with or dating being aware of it) and various other aspects where the characters just seemed completely off.

There is also the various continuity errors, the poor casting of certain individuals and the fact that whilst I would not class it as a boring film just exceptionally bland other than a during a few scenes and the fact that whole land grad Lex Luthor plot just wasn't very well played out.

I have mentioned this in other threads but this was the biggest cinematic disappointment to me in years and is directly resposible for me being unable to have any sense of anticipation for future films any more. 

< Message edited by sanchia -- 16/3/2008 10:24:31 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to cdjwfan)
Post #: 109
RE: Superman Returns - 9/4/2008 2:05:13 PM   
Jill Taylor

Not Guilty !

"You know what I like most about Las Vegas ? You can be whoever you want to be."

--Jill Taylor

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 110
RE: Superman Returns - 8/5/2008 6:28:50 PM   
0rbital

quote:

ORIGINAL: dracovir

For me the issue lay with the useless bint 'potraying' Lois - she mucked it up big time.

This movie failed on so many levels

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 111
RE: Superman Returns - 29/5/2008 5:55:41 PM   
Chevy Novacaine

My loathing for Superman Returns knows no bounds. I can't believe Singer left X3 to do this turd. It takes all of the retardation from the Donner Superman movies (which I also don't like) and just expounds upon them.
The movie should have been named Richard Donner: I Love You.

-The beginning credits were awesome, I'll give the movie that much, but that's where it peaked for me.

-Lex Luthor, evil real estate agent, is back! With campy sidekicks to boot. I liked Parker Posey's performance, but didn't like her role too much. It's just regurgitating the first movie.

-Superman fathered a bastard. This kind of melodrama may work for some characters, particularly some of the stuff from the silver age and on, but Superman? Sorry, I like my Golden Age Icons to be just that, Icons. I don't want Jerry Springer mixed into my Superman.

-Truth, Justice, and ALL THAT STUFF?! To try and ensure more money from the international markets, let's disregard one of the most defining facets about Superman! Money>integrity

-Superman is a creepy stalker. Not only does he follow his ex-girlfriend home, but he uses his powers for evil. He actually looks into the house to watch his illegitimate son. Can you say "restraining order"?

-Superman's a dick. He throws the ball to an impossible length for the dog to catch. He crushes someone's car with the giant Daily Planet Ball. It's not like he has heat visiont to weld it back to the building. He certainly couldn't use it on his way to fight Luthor. Come on, he knows Luthor is going to have Kryptonite. Superman is a smart cookie, he knows he's going to keep his distance. Here is a great projectile to take with him. "Naw, I think I'll just crush this guy's car."

-Speaking of Kryptonite, I love the way he is shanked with eight inches of the stuff and it doesn't kill him. Forget the fact that some of it is embedded in his side for the next half hour.

-Super Bastard can hurl a piano (LAME) to save his mom, but he can't punch through a metal door to save his mom, his perceived father, and himself from a watery grave? Either he's powerful or he's not, pick one.

-Why was young Clark wearing glasses in the flashback? WTF.

-The climax of the movie? Superman lifts an island. RIVETING.

-Speakig of that island, remember how it's made of Kryptonite? Apparently Superman doesn't, because after a quick sun recharge he's able to lift it no problem (and yes, he's still got a shard of Kryptonite in his side). Oh, but the fall to Earth is what hurts him.

-Who robs a bank with a gatling gun? Seriously.

-The movie is just mind-numbingly boring. Superman doesn't actually fight anyone. He's too busy struggling with past child support payments (BUM) and trying to find razors to cut his skin. Oh Superman, you silly emo kid.

-No love for Kumar. He doesn't speak once during the entire movie.

The thing that hurts the most is the potential this movie had. With the exception of Lois I thought they did a great job with the cast. Routh was a believable Clark and Superman and Luthor was a convincing Luthor (too bad he didn't do anything but look at realtor maps). That's really all the movie was: wasted potential.

< Message edited by Chevy Novacaine -- 29/5/2008 11:27:33 PM >

You either die a hero or you live long enough to become the villain.

(in reply to 0rbital)
Post #: 112
RE: Superman Returns - 22/1/2009 4:49:10 PM   
Worldz

one of the worst comic book movies

Post #: 113
RE: Superman Returns - 25/1/2009 5:40:37 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chevy Novacaine

-Why was young Clark wearing glasses in the flashback? WTF.

Very very true.

(in reply to Chevy Novacaine)
Post #: 114
RE: Superman Returns - 25/1/2009 6:22:56 PM   
Mr E

quote:

-The climax of the movie? Superman lifts an island. RIVETING.

You don't see Batman lifting an island though do you? In fact, what can he do? Nothing. Because he's a weedy human being who prances around in an extremely homosexual black rubber suit.

I enjoyed Superman Returns and really don't understand all the hate. I agree it's a little too long and Lois was perhaps slightly too young but I didn't think it was a major problem. Overall very entertaining and I'd very much like to see a sequel rather than a boring reboot. Batman has already been boringly rebooted, don't ruin Superman.

Post #: 115
RE: Superman Returns - 25/1/2009 6:34:53 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

You don't see Batman lifting an island though do you? In fact, what can he do? Nothing. Because he's a weedy human being who prances around in an extremely homosexual black rubber suit.

Wow, is Batman in Superman Returns I never saw him?

Seriously, Superman was that powerful enough in the film to lift up an whole island but screamed like a little girl while getting beaten up.

< Message edited by Mr Terrific -- 25/1/2009 6:35:14 PM >

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 116
RE: Superman Returns - 25/1/2009 7:03:49 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr E

I enjoyed Superman Returns and really don't understand all the hate.

It's not hate on my part but honest disappointment.

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 117
RE: Superman Returns - 25/1/2009 7:08:09 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

I would agree with that. There was so much going for it that it just ended up a spectacular failure in my eyes. It was probably one of my most anticipated films and I fell from such a great height upon seeing it.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 118
RE: Superman Returns - 25/1/2009 7:15:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

I would agree with that. There was so much going for it that it just ended up a spectacular failure in my eyes. It was probably one of my most anticipated films and I fell from such a great height upon seeing it.

Yeah, when those credits started and the Williams music was pounding out the cinema speakers I was ready for a great film, Well before the end I realised just how..uneventful.. it all ways. I took my young brother who was about 9 at the time and he was pretty bored at points.

While many comic book fans in thier 20s think that these films should be for them, no film beaing the Superman name should bore a nine year boy.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 119
RE: Superman Returns - 25/1/2009 8:13:03 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

-Truth, Justice, and ALL THAT STUFF?! To try and ensure more money from the international markets, let's disregard one of the most defining facets about Superman! Money>integrity

Well, given that the American Way of late has included illegal invasions of other countries, prisoner abuse and torturing people, I'm not surprised they left it out.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: Superman Returns Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI