Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Superman Returns

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: Superman Returns Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Superman Returns - 22/2/2008 11:26:24 AM   
hawkeye10

I quite enjoy Keanu Reeve's. The roles he plays suits his style, the same way i would enjoy Welling in the role.

Would you have liked SR if they cast Welling and never knew of Routh?

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 61
RE: Superman Returns - 22/2/2008 11:35:53 AM   
Larry of Arabia

The difference for me is that I see Reeves as an actor who has found his niche recently in films like A Scanner Darkly, Consantine etc. Welling has no such niche, his forays into film have been unremarkable at best. It would have bothered me if Welling was cast - I say 'limited range', but I was being nice. I wouldn't compare him to Reeves, he plays good roles with what he's got. I think Welling is just a bad actor (The Fog? Cheaper By The Dozen?), we'll just have to agree to disagree.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 62
RE: Superman Returns - 22/2/2008 11:41:00 AM   
hawkeye10

Okay dude, you have very valid points. Well, at least we care enough about a franchise to see which guy we'd fancy in the role more.

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

Post #: 63
RE: Superman Returns - 22/2/2008 4:29:10 PM   
darth silas

As bad as i thought Superman returns was,it wasnt really Brandon rouths fault.It seems Singer just wanted him to do his best Christopher reeve impersonation rather than do his own thing.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 64
RE: Superman Returns - 22/2/2008 6:05:56 PM   
sanchia

I found Routh to be one of the better things (although the portrayal of the over the top goofyness exhibited by Clark Kent was an aspect I felt was completely mishandled but believe that was a sign of misunderstanding the character by the director and writer).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 65
RE: Superman Returns - 23/2/2008 10:05:40 PM   
Tech_Noir

Just imagine a mature Superman movie for a moment, put aside the Singer fanboy love - Jim Caviezel (the most underrated actor of modern times), Jennifer Connelly - Superman for the 21st century.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 66
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 1:46:51 AM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Just imagine a mature Superman movie for a moment, put aside the Singer fanboy love - Jim Caviezel (the most underrated actor of modern times), Jennifer Connelly - Superman for the 21st century.

I'm intrigued Tech.

Carry on...

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 67
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 12:22:48 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

quote:

I'm intrigued Tech.

Carry on...

Um. That's all I got...

As I've said in another thread I am interested to see what happens to Superman when he gets older - does he age? Is he immortal? If so he will eventually lose Lois.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 68
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 2:04:30 PM   
darth silas

I agree with Tech.Jim caviezial would have made an awesome older Superman.Think he was actually considered for the part years ago when they were trying to get a new movie off the ground.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 69
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 2:56:07 PM   
hawkeye10

I always wanted them to explore what would happen if the most powerful being in the universe said,' I've had enough of this shit!'

It has been explored in the comics a few years ago, but I really want to know if Superman will be tempted to tackle the world's problems by taking a fascist role and take control of all governments. He will force all countries to play by his rules and how this will impact other heroes.

I mean how many crimes and villians can you fight before you decide that the only thing that can really stop it is to rule them all with an iron fist.

I just read that last line and I feel I need to add a maniacal laugh.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-haaa!

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 70
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 3:07:58 PM   
Tech_Noir

Sounds interesting, although I'm sure any new Superman movie will have Lex Luthor chasing after real estate again.

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 71
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 3:27:23 PM   
hawkeye10

God, its depressing when you think about it, but your probably right.

I know Superman's supposed to be the hero, but why does everyone just sit back and take it when Lex blows things up. Surprisingly the US president never makes any speeches about going quietly into the night when Lex does these things.

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 72
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 3:31:51 PM   
dracovir

I guess Presidents just have that automatic expectation 'Oh, here's Lex (or insert any other super-villain here) - not to worry, Superman will sort him out!'

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 73
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 3:41:35 PM   
hawkeye10

And you would have thought with all the Kryptonite around Supes should've been dead by now. In the comics, all the films and in Smallville where everyone and their uncle has a bit lying around.

Just goes to show what a thicko Clark is. I would've made myself a radioactive-proof (is that a word?) suit by now out of parts of his spaceship. Okay, he'll look a bit like Iron Man, but he is the Man of Steel.

Besides, I never liked his suit anyway. It needs to be updated so he doesn't look like a circus strongman out of the '40s.

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 74
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 3:54:00 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: hawkeye10

Besides, I never liked his suit anyway. It needs to be updated so he doesn't look like a circus strongman out of the '40s.

I don't think they should change the suit but they should let go of this obsessed attachment to the previous films - that means letting go of Williams' iconic theme.

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 75
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 4:36:38 PM   
dracovir

Well, letting go of Danny Elfman's distinctive theme for Batman didn't hurt Batman Begins, so why not Williams' Superman score too?  Smallville works just fine with an average song by Remy Zero.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 76
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 4:42:41 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: dracovir

Well, letting go of Danny Elfman's distinctive theme for Batman didn't hurt Batman Begins, so why not Williams' Superman score too?  Smallville works just fine with an average song by Remy Zero.

I did like the hint of the Williams theme in those few episodes back in season two.

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 77
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 4:51:55 PM   
dracovir

The odd reference here and there is okay, as even if they reinvent the franchise, the older material will always be a part of it.  How many times has the classic 70's Battlestar Galactica march cropped up in the new series?  I've only watched up until the first few episodes of series 3, stopped when Virgin and Sky had that daft bust-up, and by then it had been once in the miniseries-cum-pilot, and once during Lucy Lawless's first appearance episode.  It works, I think, as it isn't overused to the point of diminishing the new version's originality-within-itself.  If you take my meaning.

Anyhows, back to Supes.  I'd like to see a re-reboot of the films at least, with or without Tom Welling, it could still be made to work - hell, if they are rebooting the Hulk franchise after one film, this won't hurt too much.  Although I wouldn't complain if they kept Brandon Routh, it probably wouldn't happen .  I'd agree though, Jim Cavaziel would make a good Supes, regardless of it being a mature version or not.  His intense eyes can belie his age and I think that could make the Man of Steel feel that much more super.

Hehe and how many actors could boast playing both Superman and Jesus?  A career can't possible get better than that, could it?

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 78
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 5:00:06 PM   
hawkeye10

Jim Caviezel would be a good choice. His eyes has a Ray Liotta intensity and any JLA member would follow him.

As for the Superman theme in Season 2, I think that was the episode with Chris Reeves, rights? I remember watching it and the first few keys started playing. The geek in me nearly broke down in tears. There is something Rocky-esque about that theme - it gives me goosebumps everytime.

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 79
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 5:14:27 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

As for the Superman theme in Season 2, I think that was the episode with Chris Reeves, rights? I remember watching it and the first few keys started playing. The geek in me nearly broke down in tears. There is something Rocky-esque about that theme - it gives me goosebumps everytime.

Gave me a geek-out moment too - probably more so than SR. I think the Krypton theme was what did it for me.

With Reeves himself present it felt like the mantle was officially being passed on to Welling.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 24/2/2008 5:16:08 PM >

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 80
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 5:17:31 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

quote:

Gave me a geek-out moment too - probably more so than SR. I think the Krypton theme was what did it for me.

With Reeves himself present it felt like the mantle was officially being passed on to Welling.

Oh, come ON!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 81
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 5:21:31 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

quote:

Oh, come ON!

What? You have the John Williams theme (inc the Krypton theme), you have Christopher Reeve talking about Clark (Tom Welling)'s destiny, how much more obvious can you get.

This is why it seemed odd in 2006 for this unknown actor to show up with the Williams theme blaring in the background.

Post #: 82
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 5:26:50 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

This is why it seemed odd in 2006 for this unknown actor to show up with the Williams theme blaring in the background.

This actor?

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 83
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 5:29:51 PM   
hawkeye10

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, come ON!

Sounds hard to believe, but you have to watch that episode. It was that well-written.

Smallville doesn't get the same love Buffy does, which is a shame.

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

Post #: 84
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 5:32:56 PM   
hawkeye10

quote:

quote:

This actor?

I don't hate Routh. I think he was given an underwritten role and a director in love with a 30 year old film.

But the poor guy was swimming upstream against a lot of history and half the girls in the world(me included) wanting Welling in the role.

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

Post #: 85
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 5:42:35 PM   
Tech_Noir

I don't hate Routh either but Smallville was a hit show (I honestly loved the first three seasons), to a lot of people Tom Welling was the new Clark/Superman. The show also gave us the best Lex Luthor ever, the relationship between Lex and Clark was perfectly executed.

I didn't want the bumbling comedy Lex - which was one of the weaker aspects of the original movies.

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 86
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 5:51:25 PM   
hawkeye10

Your right about Lex there. Michael Rosenbaum plays him pitch-perfect. His Lex is more an individual burnt by a father who seems to have more love for Clark and he sees superbeings more as a threat to National Security which I think is more plausible than a really over-zealous property developer.

I had my own little storyline for the series where Lionel Luther accidently causes the death of Martha and Clark in a fit of rage kills Lionel with powers that he still has little control over. This sets in motion the lifetime hatred between the former best friends.

Lex has to know Clark's secret identity, but won't touch those close to him as he is not that inhuman. He's friends with most of them too. He just wants to get rid of the Superman and what he stands for.

God, I watch too much TV.

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 87
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 6:03:14 PM   
Tech_Noir

I like how Smallville is still ambiguous of Jor-El's intention.

I remember reading that Shuster and Siegel originally conceived of Superman as a all-powerful villain, Smallville still hints at this. It was in the Reeve episode that Jor-El tells Clark to rule over humans.

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 88
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 6:05:19 PM   
hawkeye10

When he does, I hope he does something about the chavs hanging out on the corner of my street.

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 89
RE: Superman Returns - 24/2/2008 7:25:50 PM   
Rgirvan44

I thought Mardsen was actully more heroic than Superman and deserved better than Lois Lane, who by all accounts in Returns, is a pretty horrible person.

The way they wrote Lane made me hate her and I wouldn't for the life of me understand why Superman was in love with her. She is self centred, ignores and laughs at those she feels are under her - its like the opposite of what Superman stands for.  

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: Superman Returns Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI