Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Superman Returns

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: Superman Returns Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Superman Returns - 16/2/2008 8:05:38 PM   
sanchia

And a slightly effette and weak sounding Luthor he is

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 31
RE: Superman Returns - 16/2/2008 10:26:59 PM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

The fact it's been forgotten by almost everyone on the planet shows how poor this film was.

Yes that's why there are two threads alone in the movie trial section of this website.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 32
RE: Superman Returns - 16/2/2008 10:34:39 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

quote:

The fact it's been forgotten by almost everyone on the planet shows how poor this film was.

Yes that's why there are two threads alone in the movie trial section of this website.

By almost everyone I meant non-fanboys.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 16/2/2008 10:35:07 PM >

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 33
RE: Superman Returns - 16/2/2008 10:41:03 PM   
The Hooded Man

Sky movie viewers can see it now, it's been on since 9. I really like it but I think the problem is that some people think its abysmal and others think its amazing and there appears to be no middle ground.
I really hope if a sequel does get off the ground that it does go more in its own direction though.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 34
RE: Superman Returns - 16/2/2008 10:50:14 PM   
Tech_Noir

I was gonna watch it tonight on Sky Movies, give it another chance since I last saw it, but both my younger cousins who are staying over refused to watch it. This is a 10 year old and a 15 year old, both not interested in watching a Superman movie.

They've seen it before and they both said the same thing, SR is "boring".

Post #: 35
RE: Superman Returns - 16/2/2008 11:06:40 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Always trust young children when deciding which films to watch, they have excellent taste.

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 16/2/2008 11:07:33 PM >

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 36
RE: Superman Returns - 17/2/2008 8:55:00 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

Always trust young children when deciding which films to watch, they have excellent taste.

Come on this is Superman, not Schindler's List.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 37
RE: Superman Returns - 17/2/2008 10:56:28 AM   
sanchia

10 and 15 doesn't really qualify as a young child does it?  If so the definitions have changed a bit.  And since when has Superman been meant to be a purely adult orientated character?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 38
RE: Superman Returns - 17/2/2008 11:41:24 AM   
Larry of Arabia

I never said he was a purely adult-orientated character. I wouldn't say Batman was either, but we have Batman Begins.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 39
RE: Superman Returns - 17/2/2008 11:45:37 AM   
Tech_Noir

I suppose Batman can be more adult-orientated since he's a darker character and his story is more serious.

Superman is far more lighthearted and is essentially designed to appeal to kids (bright colours, quirky dialogue, over the top spectacle). Superman Returns seemed to forget this and tried to be deep and serious.

Post #: 40
RE: Superman Returns - 18/2/2008 9:56:43 PM   
The Hooded Man

My 15 year old cousin was talking the other day how Terminator 3 was brilliant and that  T2 was okay but the first one is rubbish. Proves nothing.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 41
RE: Superman Returns - 18/2/2008 10:10:31 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

My 15 year old cousin was talking the other day how Terminator 3 was brilliant and that  T2 was okay but the first one is rubbish. Proves nothing.

Proves T3 is more accessible to kids (which was the intention - like it or not).

Superman Returns should have been more accessible to kids - action, excitement, a touch of romance but nothing to the extent we wound up with.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 18/2/2008 10:43:49 PM >

Post #: 42
RE: Superman Returns - 18/2/2008 10:42:24 PM   
dracovir

For me the issue lay with the useless bint 'potraying' Lois - she mucked it up big time.  Talk about mis-casted.  Too young given the backstory.

The film isn't perfect, but it isn't - by far - a travesty.

All I can say is that it was a missed oppurtunity.  Singer shoulda done X3 instead.

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 43
RE: Superman Returns - 18/2/2008 11:21:03 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

quote:

Proves T3 is more accessible to kids (which was the intention - like it or not).

Superman Returns should have been more accessible to kids - action, excitement, a touch of romance but nothing to the extent we wound up with.

Are you condoning the slating of The Terminator?! You're dead to me.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 44
RE: Superman Returns - 19/2/2008 10:02:12 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

It's the slating of T3 which I'm indifferent to.

Post #: 45
RE: Superman Returns - 19/2/2008 1:59:19 PM   
Beno

quote:

Yeah right.... they dragged me to see all the Pokemon movies , all the Power Ranger movies , all the Free Willy movies and many more of the same . Oh well at least i got a couple of hours shuteye at each movie .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

Post #: 46
RE: Superman Returns - 20/2/2008 3:29:05 AM   
dracovir

quote:

quote:

It's the slating of T3 which I'm indifferent to.

T1 and T2 are unparralleled action classics and overall movie greats.  While T3 fell short of the mark, it can boast one of the series' best sequences, handled properly and with none of the usual Hollywood mumbo-jumbo taboo of not wanting to show nuclear explosions - a moment I, and I am certain many others, had been waiting 20-odd years to see.

I'll let you work which bit I'm on about.

Shame about the rest of the film however

Back ontopic:  Tried to re-watch Batman Ret - err, Superman Returns (Wonder when we'll get Superman Forever and Superman and Robin?) and I am quite upset as this is one film I like less the more I see it.  Although Routh's Supes is easily the best thing in the film and he should not shoulder any blame for the film's shortcomings, I tihnk it would be better for Warner to ease off the franchise and make a new film when Smallville  has ended its run - I really want to see Tom Welling follow on from that with the big screen version.

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 47
RE: Superman Returns - 20/2/2008 9:28:23 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: dracovir

T1 and T2 are unparralleled action classics and overall movie greats.  While T3 fell short of the mark, it can boast one of the series' best sequences, handled properly and with none of the usual Hollywood mumbo-jumbo taboo of not wanting to show nuclear explosions - a moment I, and I am certain many others, had been waiting 20-odd years to see.

I'll let you work which bit I'm on about.

If you're talking about the ending, it might have been different but it was put in for the sake of the franchise, so they could make more movies. I sensed this while I was watching the movie, just remember the last line and shot in the film.

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 48
RE: Superman Returns - 20/2/2008 2:53:30 PM   
livewire

quote:

For me the issue lay with the useless bint 'potraying' Lois - she mucked it up big time.  Talk about mis-casted.  Too young given the backstory.

The film isn't perfect, but it isn't - by far - a travesty.

Totally agree. The whole film was completely miscast. It's very far from perfect. there are too many plotholes (the size of kryptons exploding sun) in the story.

for that reason, and the fact that it's long winded, dull and a poor film all round.

GUILTY.

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 49
RE: Superman Returns - 20/2/2008 5:34:15 PM   
britesparc

Not guilty.

It's a great film, with some excellent moments, but it's not perfect.  I admit I was blown away when I first saw it, but in retrospect it has some pretty big faults.  The biggest, I reckon, is its reverence to Richard Donner's Superman; a great film, back then, but it would have been much better to start a whole new franchise. 

I think it's a bit like Jackson's Kong, funnily enough; both are very good films with some terrific moments, but both are a trifle over-indulgent and are, essentially, fan-films that appeal most to the person who made them (Jackson always wanted to make Kong, Singer loved the Donner Superman).  They could both have done with a bit of objectivity.  Also, they're both films I gushed about in five-star fashion on release, only to realise they're not that great some time later (four-stars for both, I'd say).

Whilst it would be nice to see what Singer has planned for that universe, part of me would rather - if DC are insistent on a Justice League movie - start again from scratch.  Maybe keep Routh, though, he was terrific.

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to livewire)
Post #: 50
RE: Superman Returns - 20/2/2008 10:37:57 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

Back ontopic:  Tried to re-watch Batman Ret - err, Superman Returns (Wonder when we'll get Superman Forever and Superman and Robin?) and I am quite upset as this is one film I like less the more I see it.  Although Routh's Supes is easily the best thing in the film and he should not shoulder any blame for the film's shortcomings, I tihnk it would be better for Warner to ease off the franchise and make a new film when Smallville  has ended its run - I really want to see Tom Welling follow on from that with the big screen version.

Yes, we can have 2 whole hours of Welling staring into the middle distance with a constipated/confused look on his face every time there's a shocking revelation. Seriously, I think that's the only expressions he can do.

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 51
RE: Superman Returns - 21/2/2008 8:42:01 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

Yes, we can have 2 whole hours of Welling staring into the middle distance with a constipated/confused look on his face every time there's a shocking revelation. Seriously, I think that's the only expressions he can do.

That would still be better than Superman Returns.

Post #: 52
RE: Superman Returns - 21/2/2008 2:13:56 PM   
hawkeye10

Producers listen: You know in your hearts he needs to wear the cape. Give it to Tom Welling. Now.

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 53
RE: Superman Returns - 21/2/2008 9:06:59 PM   
darthbane

I think I read somewhere that Tom Welling, at first turned, down Smallville saying he didn't really have any interest in playing Superman, only Clark Kent.
I don't think that he would be up for a Superman movie.

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 54
RE: Superman Returns - 21/2/2008 9:16:10 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthbane

I think I read somewhere that Tom Welling, at first turned, down Smallville saying he didn't really have any interest in playing Superman, only Clark Kent.
I don't think that he would be up for a Superman movie.

I guess he believes in the curse.

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 55
RE: Superman Returns - 21/2/2008 9:33:02 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Or maybe he was going senile in his old age.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 56
RE: Superman Returns - 21/2/2008 9:54:06 PM   
Tech_Noir

Whether you like the show or not you have to admit Tom Welling was great casting. I remember catching Smallville on Channel 4 way back in 2001 when it was just starting out and as soon as I saw Welling I thought "Wait a minute, is this a Superman TV show??"

He just looks the part.

While I like Routh he was still just homaging Reeves rather than making the character his own.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 21/2/2008 9:56:46 PM >

Post #: 57
RE: Superman Returns - 21/2/2008 10:21:27 PM   
Larry of Arabia

As you said, Welling has been in Smallville for coming up for 7 years - Routh has one feature film under his belt. Brandon has more time, too, being a few years younger (than the guy still playing a teenager - what is Tom, 65?!). I still stand by the fact that Welling hasn't developed particularly much as an actor as well.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 58
RE: Superman Returns - 22/2/2008 11:15:21 AM   
hawkeye10

There is only a 2 year age gap between the two actors. Personally, I would rather see the next Superman movie sooner rather than 20 years later. As it stands, Tom Welling has a huge fan base behind him, and will add a few more numbers to the box-office as Superman. To criticise his limited range and to dismiss so many less talented actors operating at the top of the business...is a bit silly.

I know Welling has said in the past he wouldn't pursue the big-screen version, but I think a few dollars would change his mind. Welling is so natural in the role and I think he gets Kal-El's confusion and need to be human perfectly.

I agree that Routh needs a few more roles under his belt, but I think the way they went with SR was wrong, because the needed to carve out a new angle on S-Man and aping Reeve was a bad move.

< Message edited by hawkeye10 -- 22/2/2008 11:17:42 AM >

Eyes of a Hawk!
Ears of a Wolf!
Strength of the Bear!
Speed of a Puma!

Post #: 59
RE: Superman Returns - 22/2/2008 11:22:52 AM   
Larry of Arabia

Criticizing an actor for having a limited range is a bit silly? I don't think I dismissed any other actors, the fact that people with less talent than Welling are at the top doesn't mean he deserves to be up there with them.

(in reply to hawkeye10)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: Superman Returns Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI