Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Superman Returns

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: Superman Returns Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 12 [13]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Superman Returns - 5/9/2012 10:48:41 AM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

Right. But the Joker is the best villain out of an excellent rogue's gallery, whereas Luthor is heads and shoulders about all the other Superman villains.
I wasn't claiming that Nicholson and Ledger's Jokers are identical, just that it makes more sense to have a different iteration of the character after a significant gap, which is also true of the Superman movies.

But we haven't had that with The Superman films he's been the same character and had the same plans. That's the point.

Spaceys take on Lex wasn't wildly different from Hackmans but the problem with Returns is the recycling of plans/plots/motivations with regards his character it's a problem in script and story and the fault must lie with Singer it's not a fault of Spaceys who plays him adequately enough but with Singer playing it too safe.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 5/9/2012 11:03:10 AM >

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 361
RE: Superman Returns - 5/9/2012 2:09:08 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I think one of the problems with Superman is that he's just a bit of a lame superhero, overpowered, lacks personality and has shit enemies. He's far more uninteresting than the likes of the X-Men, Spiderman and Batman to name a few.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 362
RE: Superman Returns - 5/9/2012 3:11:02 PM   
AxlReznor

Yeah, the Justice League cartoon pretty much had to come up with a way to make Superman useless in every episode to make it the slightest bit interesting.
Still, I have to believe that even the lamest of superhero's can have a decent movie made about them if the right people are given the job of doing it. They managed to make a Captain America movie that wasn't the Jingoistic flag-waving travesty that a lot of people would have expected from a Captain America movie. Now if Edgar Wright manages to make people give a shit about Ant-Man no one would have any excuse for making a bad Superman movie again.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 363
RE: Superman Returns - 5/9/2012 3:21:03 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I've started a thread about it now but how about completely inventing a new bad guy that doesn't exist in the comics?

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 364
RE: Superman Returns - 5/9/2012 4:55:05 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I think one of the problems with Superman is that he's just a bit of a lame superhero, overpowered, lacks personality and has shit enemies. He's far more uninteresting than the likes of the X-Men, Spiderman and Batman to name a few.

lame?! He's the first the best and the strongest! My top two superheroes are Batman and Spider-Man (actually, Batman's probably my favourite anything, which is a bit sad, but I digress) and you can certainly say that they do more easily lend themselves to conflict and drama - there was a good piece on Comics Alliance recently on the first (IIRC) 90 issues of Amazing Spider-Man, talking about how we get proper growth (Peter goes from being the bulllied nerd to college and flirting with hot girls, grows up and understands responsibility etc). But there's no shortage of excellent Superman stories that flow naturally from his inate characteristics.

Post #: 365
RE: Superman Returns - 5/9/2012 5:09:09 PM   
AxlReznor

Being the first doesn't necessarily make him the best. Superman's existence is important because it paved the way for other great superheroes, but he himself is just not a good character. Clark Kent is fantastic, though... but the whole "overpowered" thing hinders absolutely everything that could have made him interesting.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 366
RE: Superman Returns - 5/9/2012 5:20:02 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Being the first doesn't necessarily make him the best. Superman's existence is important because it paved the way for other great superheroes, but he himself is just not a good character. Clark Kent is fantastic, though... but the whole "overpowered" thing hinders absolutely everything that could have made him interesting.

Disagree. I'll take a first rate Superman story over (for example) any "conflict creates character" "dark n gritty" anguished 90s pish any day. And technically the character is Superman and Clark Kent, alien and (adopted!) human, not just a superpowered blank.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 367
RE: Superman Returns - 5/9/2012 5:39:53 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

Disagree. I'll take a first rate Superman story over (for example) any "conflict creates character" "dark n gritty" anguished pish any day.

Kinda like Batman

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 368
RE: Superman Returns - 5/9/2012 5:43:02 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

Disagree. I'll take a first rate Superman story over (for example) any "conflict creates character" "dark n gritty" anguished pish any day.

Kinda like Batman

Batman's anguished *and* heroic! Aside from which, correlation doesn't imply causation! Batman is a great character and dark and anguished, but there's loads of crap dark and anguished characters. And Batman's a great character even when he's happy! (ish)

Post #: 369
RE: Superman Returns - 9/9/2012 7:29:05 AM   
furrybastard

Superman's a fantastic character. Just because the company that owns him has no imagination or ability to handle him these days doesn't mean the character is bad.

The thing about Superman is that the concept is broad enough that you can tell pretty much any kind of story. Read John Byrne's Man of Steel series or Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's All-Star Superman. Both these series tap into the breadth and scope of Superman and the vast array of stories and tones you can do with him.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 370
ARGUE! - 11/9/2012 3:24:24 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I'm cautious about the new film. Returns was great - screw the haters - but this looks interesting. I fear it may turn the hero dark, which is not Superman's place. Returns was serious, but not dark.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 371
Talk about mothers - 11/9/2012 8:57:43 AM   
elab49

I'm not impressed by the Malicky trailer.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 372
RE: Talk about mothers - 11/9/2012 9:20:19 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Hahahahahaha, very good, elab.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 373
RE: Talk about mothers - 11/9/2012 10:21:11 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Come on, Malick's a genius! The last few minutes of The New World consist of one of the most moving and inspired sequences ever put on film (which I know will lead some wag to state that, at best, Malick, like Wagner, has great 15 minutes and rubbish hours, but still)

I thought it was pretty clever of Warners to show ramping-and-inane-violence Snyder can direct rural scenes and character beats. Everyone knows this will have more action than Superman Returns, so it makes sense to emphasise the superb, Oscar-winning cast and the film's apparent seriousness.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 374
RE: ARGUE! - 11/9/2012 10:23:22 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

I'm cautious about the new film. Returns was great - screw the haters - but this looks interesting. I fear it may turn the hero dark, which is not Superman's place. Returns was serious, but not dark.

I'd guess that it might be occasionally visually dark - give the kids the "cool" stuff they want from a Snyder movie - but pretty techicolour otherwise. Hopefully Warners learned from the "my God, talk about dodging a bullet!" response to the leaked costume /script details from the Burton/Cage Superman.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 375
RE: Superman Returns - 11/9/2012 10:32:57 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard
. Read John Byrne's Man of Steel series or Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's All-Star Superman.

Well said. I was reading today about a page from All Star Superman which someone who was going to commit suicide credited as leading them to think otherwise (and no, I'm not crediting Morrison and Quitely with magic powers that can cure suicidal ideation) . It's a beautiful post. http://i.imgur.com/Q1nON.jpg

A lot of people disliked the Christ-analogy stuff in Superman Returns, but the character's power to inspire is perhaps the most fruitful area for cinematic adaptation. Idealism is not intrinsically uninteresting. And 'grim and gritty' is intrinsically interesting the same way emo is, i.e. not really.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 376
RE: Talk about mothers - 11/9/2012 11:19:15 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Come on, Malick's a genius! The last few minutes of The New World consist of one of the most moving and inspired sequences ever put on film (which I know will lead some wag to state that, at best, Malick, like Wagner, has great 15 minutes and rubbish hours, but still)

I thought it was pretty clever of Warners to show ramping-and-inane-violence Snyder can direct rural scenes and character beats. Everyone knows this will have more action than Superman Returns, so it makes sense to emphasise the superb, Oscar-winning cast and the film's apparent seriousness.

But my view of Malick (and it doesn't help you've referenced his worst film ) has nothing to do with whether I think it's appropriate for a trailer for a Superman film and whether I think it suggests a take that looks unimpressive

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 377
RE: Talk about mothers - 11/9/2012 11:24:51 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

But my view of Malick (and it doesn't help you've referenced his worst film ) has nothing to do with whether I think it's appropriate for a trailer for a Superman film and whether I think it suggests a take that looks unimpressive

Can I ask WHY you regard it as inappropriate? As I say, everyone one knows we'll get loads of Snyder-y action, so it makes sense to emphasise the other stuff. Plus young superman is, to a lot of people, associated with the bargain basement pish of Smallville, so it's cool they're making young Superman's world look both mythic and authentic (which Superman Returns accomplished too, in fairness)

Malick's "worst" still better than a lot of other directors' best

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 378
RE: Talk about mothers - 11/9/2012 11:37:26 AM   
elab49

Snyder has limits, Superman is often a boring enough character and the makers of the trailer don't help that, etc. I just groaned when it turned up (I think it was on before TDKR at my cinema).

quote:

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 379
RE: Talk about mothers - 11/9/2012 11:42:26 AM   
cerebusboy

Superman is not intrinsically boring (c.f. aforementioned All Star Superman). Snyder does indeed have, to riot in understatement, significant limitations so it makes sense that the trailer would downplay these YMMV of course.

But the trailer did have Russel Crowe or (depending which one you got) Kevin Costner voiceovers! That's pretty cool. And the audience would obviously have good memories of movies (Field of Dreams, Gladiator) featuring Costner, Crowe that include lingering shots of grain

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 380
RE: Talk about mothers - 11/9/2012 11:46:35 AM   
elab49

No idea what All Star Superman is - I stopped reading Supes comics years ago.

I liked Lois and Clark - other than that don't like the films, the comic and the old cartoons are pretty but it's still, for me, a problem character.

I think I might have seen an earlier trailer though - neither were in the one I saw. Just a lead I think follows in the tradition of poor Superman actors. Crowe and Costner do not raise my interest I'm afraid.

quote:

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 381
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 11 12 [13]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: Superman Returns Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 12 [13]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI