Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Superman Returns

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: Superman Returns Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Superman Returns - 15/8/2012 11:59:55 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Lois Lane on the train is about 10-11 maybe? Clark Kent is 18. He then goes off to the Fortress of Solitude for 10 years.

So when he goes to Metropolis he's 28 and Lois is 20-21.

Let's say Superman I&II take place over a couple of months, then there's another couple of months before Superman leaves. So a year. Then Superman comes back five years later.

That would make Clark 34 and Lois 26-27 in Superman Returns.

Either way it's pretty insignificant and nothing worth getting bothered about. People complaining about ages are just looking for something to criticise.

So Superman Returns is set in the mid to late eighties? I dont think they had cell phones back then like the one that a kid uses to photograph Supes while he is lifting a car!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 271
RE: Superman Returns - 15/8/2012 12:09:23 PM   
AxlReznor

It's a comic book movie. If a comic book writer can decide 70 years of events happened in a 20 year period of the character's life but with the stories throughout those 70 years forever taking place in the present, there's no reason why a movie based on a comic book character can't do the same. Especially considering it should be seen as a partial reboot as well as a sequel.
It's not even reserved for comic book movies... Dr. No to Die Another Day all take place within the same continuity. Bond remains around the same age, and technology/politics/etc. proceeds in real time.
I'm not a fan of the movie at all, but it's both part of the same continuity and brought into the present day, therefore their respective ages in the original film still apply on the updated timeline.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 272
RE: Superman Returns - 15/8/2012 6:22:06 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Lois Lane on the train is about 10-11 maybe? Clark Kent is 18. He then goes off to the Fortress of Solitude for 10 years.

So when he goes to Metropolis he's 28 and Lois is 20-21.

Let's say Superman I&II take place over a couple of months, then there's another couple of months before Superman leaves. So a year. Then Superman comes back five years later.

That would make Clark 34 and Lois 26-27 in Superman Returns.

Either way it's pretty insignificant and nothing worth getting bothered about. People complaining about ages are just looking for something to criticise.

So Superman Returns is set in the mid to late eighties? I dont think they had cell phones back then like the one that a kid uses to photograph Supes while he is lifting a car!

They brought it to a present day setting, so what ? I really don't get this statutory rape shit either, Superman 2 Lois and Clark are in their 20's, Returns late 20's possibly 30's. I don't remember Margot Kidder playing Lois as a sixteen year old school girl in Superman 2. Seriously where the fck is this warped, sick shit coming from ?

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 15/8/2012 6:26:35 PM >

Post #: 273
RE: Superman Returns - 16/8/2012 5:38:44 PM   
matty_b

From people obsessed with nitpicking over every single little thing about Superman Returns. It's called 'poetic license' and it's what Singer used to position his film as a not-quite sequel, not quite-reboot. People crying about it and wetting their Richard Donner Y-fronts about it desperately need a sense of perspective.

Do people complain that the narrative of Bond films make no sense? I mean, it's the same bloke yet he's clearly having missions in the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s and '10s and he doesn't age.

THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE WAH WAH WAH

quote:

Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 274
RE: Superman Returns - 16/8/2012 6:20:31 PM   
sanchia

However Bond is not bone crushingly dull or taking itself very, very, very, very seriously.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 275
RE: Superman Returns - 16/8/2012 6:56:42 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Yeah the plot/ character flaws are minor in comparison with it's main problem - it's bloody boring.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 276
RE: Superman Returns - 17/8/2012 2:12:06 PM   
Cool Breeze

Best review of Superman Returns ever...

http://youtu.be/w_EkvOCjc9A

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 18/8/2012 8:29:58 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 277
RE: Superman Returns - 19/8/2012 1:02:01 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Best review of The Star Wars Prequels ever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Zmuoze65U

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 19/8/2012 1:08:45 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 278
RE: Superman Returns - 19/8/2012 9:15:09 AM   
Cool Breeze

Wrong thread Monstercat.Superman Returns is on trial here not Star Wars.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 279
RE: Superman Returns - 19/8/2012 11:58:14 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Wrong thread Monstercat.Superman Returns is on trial here not Star Wars.But Patton Oswalt is right: The prequels are rubbish.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 280
RE: Superman Returns - 19/8/2012 4:04:35 PM   
matty_b

Fucks sake monstercat. Stop acitng like a mod.

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 281
RE: Superman Returns - 19/8/2012 8:00:47 PM   
Cool Breeze

John Ottmans score to this film is horrible.Besides the faithful rendition of Williams Superman themes, his own score to the film just consists of boys choir droning on and on.Choir can be effective in a films score when used sparingly but Ottman goes realy overboard with it as he does in his X2 score.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 282
RE: Superman Returns - 20/8/2012 8:30:47 AM   
matty_b

quote:

droning on and on.

quote:

Post #: 283
RE: Superman Returns - 20/8/2012 11:04:11 AM   
Toby Monroe

Wouldn't the force of Superman's ejaculation cause severe internal damage to Lane?

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 284
RE: Superman Returns - 20/8/2012 11:38:30 AM   
MonsterCat

Somebody has been watching Mallrats.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 285
RE: Superman Returns - 22/8/2012 10:40:09 AM   
Timon

quote:

Part 3 is up........http://blip.tv/confused-matthew/superman-returns-movie-review-pt-3-6302168

As you can guess the superkid plot gets a right kicking ( As does Lois' age which makes the idea of Supes fathering a kid with this woman a bit '' statutory ''.

A perfect summation of the film at the end of the review '' Superman Returns, a bland, lifeless film that doesnt know what it wants to be, or where it wants to go ''.

Urgh... is this how we're backing up our arguments these days? With fringe video reviews?

Ok, the more reputable IndieWire have posted a two part video essay on why Superman Returns is a "neglected gem in the comic book movie genre".

http://blogs.indiewire.com/pressplay/video-essay#

< Message edited by Timon -- 22/8/2012 10:41:48 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 286
RE: Superman Returns - 22/8/2012 2:52:23 PM   
The Hooded Man

Has there ever been a more divisive film on Movie Trials?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 287
RE: Superman Returns - 29/8/2012 9:11:36 AM   
Dannybohy

Guilty - Worst Superhero Movie ever!. Why?. Bad script, bad cast, Bad effects not to mention the homoerotic Superman suit. I despise this movie so much simply because after Xmen I expected Singer to pull this off, instead he made a complete an utter mess of it!. Fuck it makes me angry just talking about it.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 288
RE: Superman Returns - 29/8/2012 6:41:24 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Guilty - Worst Superhero Movie ever!. Why?. Bad script, bad cast, Bad effects not to mention the homoerotic Superman suit. I despise this movie so much simply because after Xmen I expected Singer to pull this off, instead he made a complete an utter mess of it!. Fuck it makes me angry just talking about it.

Hardly the worst superhero film ever, it's not even the worst Superman film.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 289
RE: Superman Returns - 29/8/2012 9:04:43 PM   
sanchia

Nuclear Man!

End of the day, if you don't like it by now you never will and if you liked it you are probably not going to grow to hate it. I used to hate it but am now ambivalent about it as it is but a footnote in the history of cinema an d only a small one at that.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 290
RE: Superman Returns - 30/8/2012 2:07:26 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Nuclear Man!

End of the day, if you don't like it by now you never will and if you liked it you are probably not going to grow to hate it. I used to hate it but am now ambivalent about it as it is but a footnote in the history of cinema an d only a small one at that.

I was one of the ones that loved it when it came out, but slowly, after each viewing I began to realise my folly and now I fucking hate it!

Actually hate is a strong word, lets just say 'dislike' or not as excited about it. It's by no means a bad film - it has its moments, but it could have been so much better. Ultimately Singer should have finished off his X-Men trilogy - it could have been an awesome film with him still involved rather than the utter shite we got thanks to his replacement Brett Rattner. After Superman, his career has gone down the pan in my view.

By the way, I love Nuclear Man! Lets call it childhood nostalgia!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 291
RE: Superman Returns - 30/8/2012 12:49:08 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Just to re-iterate - it's bollocks

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 292
RE: Superman Returns - 30/8/2012 1:46:38 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

not to mention the homoerotic Superman suit

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 293
RE: Superman Returns - 30/8/2012 10:40:14 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

This hatred of Lois Lane, is it personal or something? She's not Satan.

Ok, maybe not hate. But her character was unappealing in the film. Give me Hatcher from the TV show.

Most people in the movie aren't that appealing. Lois takes her son into the supervillains' boat (great parenting!), doesn't seem to care about the only decent guy in the film, Superman stalks Lois, and so on. I liked it at the time, but those who say Superman wasn't very heroic have some points. Aside from which, were the original Donner films really good enough to do extended sequel-cum-homages to them?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 294
RE: Superman Returns - 30/8/2012 10:42:45 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

quote:

Hardly the worst superhero film ever, it's not even the worst Superman film.

Well said. Superman IV makes Rocky IV look like Fast Five!

Post #: 295
RE: Superman Returns - 30/8/2012 10:46:07 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

Singer said in a recent interview about the film that he '' Wanted to make a Superhero film that women could see ''.Right Bryan,women do not go see superhero movies AT ALL do they? so why not make Superman into a mega expensive chick flick?

Come on dude, do you really think The Avengers would have been the third most successful movie ever if only guys went to see comic book movies?

Post #: 296
RE: Superman Returns - 30/8/2012 10:48:19 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Yeah the plot/ character flaws are minor in comparison with it's main problem - it's bloody boring.

The first half has some spectacle - the best part for me in the plane scene is when he lands it in the baseball field, his face goes up on the jumbotron, and everyone cheers. Arguably a bit cheesy, but it gets me every time

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 297
RE: Superman Returns - 30/8/2012 11:01:01 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

but how important are these issues? Surely Singer wanted to make a sequel to the Donner movies because he perceived them to be, essentially, timeless Superman stories, not ones that gain their effects from being bound to a 70s/80s context?

Post #: 298
RE: Superman Returns - 30/8/2012 11:04:42 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

not to mention the homoerotic Superman suit

To give Dannybohy the benefit of the doubt, there was a lot of chat at the time about Routh's supposedly impressive package being allegedly overdisplayed by the trunks in a manner that reminded some of Schumaker's batsuits I think the Sun claimed it had to be airbrushed down or CGId or something but then it is the Sun so caveat emptor.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 299
RE: Superman Returns - 30/8/2012 11:08:57 PM   
cerebusboy

Comics Alliance did some great in-depth reviews of all the Superman movies, Supergirl, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, and are just doing X-Men 3 currently. This is part one on Superman Returns

quote:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/07/02/comicsalliance-reviews-superman-returns-2006-part-one/

Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Empire Movie Trial >> RE: Superman Returns Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI