Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Saint - Simon Templar Returns!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 11/12/2007 1:08:43 PM   
Timon

A posting on the official site of Leslie Charteris (www.saint.org), the late Chinese-English crime novelist who created and penned over a hundred adventures in book and TV form for her gentleman thief character The Saint, reports that a new incarnation is on the way.

The posting says "we can confirm that pre-production has started on a two-hour pilot film for a new series of The Saint. It will star James Purefoy as the Saint and will shoot in Berlin and Australia in April next year. Film will be produced by William J. Macdonald, Geoffrey Moore and Jorge Zamacona."

Numerous films throughout the 30's and 40's were produced with the character, George Sanders taking on the role regularly at that time. Yet the most famous incarnation was the long running 60's TV series with Roger Moore who of course went on to become James Bond. The most recent incarnation of the character was Philip Noyce's 1997 film thriller "The Saint" with Val Kilmer in the title role....which was rubbish

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 11/12/2007 1:38:26 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

The most recent incarnation of the character was Philip Noyce's 1997 film thriller "The Saint" with Val Kilmer in the title role....which was rubbish

Grouch. I liked it

And this new series with Purefoy sounds promising, if not a little unusual in a casting decision.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 11/12/2007 3:37:44 PM   
Mycroft

Yea, there's nothing wrong with it

I've never realised how camp The Saint symbol is before now.

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 3
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 11/12/2007 5:56:13 PM   
Rafer Janders

quote:

A posting on the official site of Leslie Charteris (www.saint.org), the late Chinese-English crime novelist who created and penned over a hundred adventures in book and TV form for her gentleman thief character The Saint, reports that a new incarnation is on the way.

The posting says "we can confirm that pre-production has started on a two-hour pilot film for a new series of The Saint. It will star James Purefoy as the Saint and will shoot in Berlin and Australia in April next year. Film will be produced by William J. Macdonald, Geoffrey Moore and Jorge Zamacona."

Numerous films throughout the 30's and 40's were produced with the character, George Sanders taking on the role regularly at that time. Yet the most famous incarnation was the long running 60's TV series with Roger Moore who of course went on to become James Bond. The most recent incarnation of the character was Philip Noyce's 1997 film thriller "The Saint" with Val Kilmer in the title role....which was rubbish

There was also The Return of The Saint from the '70's starring Ian Ogilvy. One of the most catchy theme tunes ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK1dtGfMGBo&feature=related

Warning: You will be humming it all day!

"You killed my horse you son of a bitch".

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 11/3/2008 12:38:01 PM   
Timon

The Hollywood Reporter has only just started reporting on it. They're slow...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i9b4549028bac41baf73d6cad768a0068

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Rafer Janders)
Post #: 5
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 11/3/2008 12:59:56 PM   
impqueen

Sounds interesting and I do like looking at James Purefoy, though I have always wondered what would have happened if Ralph Fiennes had accepted the role instead of Val Kilmer for the 1997 film (his career would probably have imploded what with that and the disaster of The Avengers, which I LIKE DAMN IT!) err anyway hopefully this new venture will not suck.  

Yes, always.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 13/3/2008 10:37:05 AM   
princessa

So glad to hear this - i cannot wait for this...i love me some James Purefoy

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 7
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 14/3/2008 6:34:29 PM   
Captain Mainwaring

Should be good!

Both Roger Moore and Ian Ogilvy episodes are been rerun on ITV4 and Men and Motors at the mo, forgot how good they were, hopefully this new pilot will live up to them!

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 8
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 16/1/2009 4:21:14 PM   
Timon

Apparantly it's not going ahead anymore! From thesaint.org

Here's some truly disappointing news to start off the week. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Barry Levinson-directed revival of The Saint, which was set to star the perfectly-cast James Purefoy as Simon Templar, "didn't go forward." Apparently Purefoy is instead opting to star in a different show with a very similar premise, The Philanthropist. (It really could have been an ITC title in the late Sixties; I'm surprised they didn't think of it!) Says the trade, "Philanthropist centers on a renegade billionaire (Purefoy) who uses his wealth, connections and power to help people in need no matter the risks or costs." That's pretty much what Simon Templar does, the only real difference being that his wealth is ill-gained. The Reporter ends its report on The Philanthropist with this brief statement on The Saint: "Earlier this year, CAA-repped Purefoy was attached to The Saint, an independently produced two-hour backdoor pilot with Levinson on board to direct, but the project didn't go forward."

"Didn't go forward?" So what does that mean? Is the project dead? Will it still go forward in the future, but with another star? All LeslieCharteris.com (the premier site for Saintly information) can add at this point is that shooting on the pilot has been delayed until "at least August" because of a possible actors' strike. (Such a strike seems very unlikely at this point.)

Muddying the waters further is how incestuous this whole Saint/Purefoy/Philanthropist triangle really is. The original producers on The Philanthropist were Levinson and Tom Fontana, both of whom were also on The Saint! They've now been replaced, however, by Battlestar Gallactica and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys producer David Eick. So were Levinson and Fontana really developing such similar projects simultaneously? Or did The Saint somehow morph into The Philanthropist? That seems an unlikely scenario, given that the trade states The Philanthropist got a 13-episode order from NBC nearly a year ago. More likely, the shows aren't really as similar as they sound in loglines.

Whatever the tangled web behind the scenes, this story saddens me. As I was just saying earlier this month, I was really looking forward to this newest incarnation of The Saint--and primarily because of Purefoy's involvement. I hope that the matter is not yet said and done, and that we still might somehow see a James Purefoy Saint series sooner or later.

(in reply to Captain Mainwaring)
Post #: 9
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 17/1/2009 6:15:07 PM   
Sugarman Treacle

See what you can find if you search! As a huge Saint fan I wouldn't mind Simon Templar to return - and certainly not in a new film. Even though I very much doubt something can beat the original television series with Roger Moore, a new fellow is most welcome to put on the suit (or should I say the halo). Haven't heard of James Purefoy before, but he seems to be able to do a good job - if the project wasn't canceled that is. This was terrible news, but who knows - we can only hope it's not the end of the project. Let's do as my signature says an "watch out the for sign..."

I'm turning turning turning turning turning around, and all that I can see is just a yellow lemmon-tree...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 18/1/2009 12:23:59 AM   
Mozza

Perhaps he didn't want to be associated with something Val Kilmer did between Top Gun and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and can you blame him?

(in reply to Sugarman Treacle)
Post #: 11
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 26/6/2011 12:32:08 PM   
princessa

BUMP - the Saint is definitely back folks.  James Purefoy is attached to star; it's currently filming in New Orleans. 

Below are some links to info:

A statement from James from Simon Templar tv

An article from the Saint Blog which i believe is the Saints official site:

http://blog.saint.org/2011/04/james-purefoy-as-simon-templar-alias.html

James Purefoy as Simon Templar alias The Saint Monday, April 25, 2011 James Purefoy as Simon Templar alias The Saint As first reported here in December of 2007, James Purefoy is finally at last all set to play the new Simon Templar in the forthcoming TV series of The Saint. We may have jumped the gun a bit back in 2007, but we weren't wrong -- just early!

James Purefoy has written an introduction to Ian Dickerson's The Saint on TV, in which he talks about his forthcoming role as Simon Templar. Shooting is reported to be slated to start in July 2011 in New Orleans.

The newest version of The Saint is being produced by Cajun Pictures who've acquired a pilot script written by William J. MacDonald and Burl Barer.

Roger Moore's son (Geoffrey Moore) is producing this as well: 

http://roger-moore.com/the-saint-tv-series-produced-e-g-by-geoffrey-moore/

SCROLL DOWN PAGE FOR ARTICLE.

Lastly a link from IMDB board (not the most reliable of sources but the thread has info on who is producing etc).

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0700856/board/nest/182224357?p=1

If the pilot film is a success then it should go onto a full series.  I don't know which studio will be airing the series.

< Message edited by princessa -- 26/6/2011 12:34:44 PM >

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 12
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 26/6/2011 5:07:33 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Apparantly it's not going ahead anymore! From thesaint.org

Here's some truly disappointing news to start off the week. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Barry Levinson-directed revival of The Saint, which was set to star the perfectly-cast James Purefoy as Simon Templar, "didn't go forward." Apparently Purefoy is instead opting to star in a different show with a very similar premise, The Philanthropist.

Ah The Philantropist, I thought that was actually a really good series.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 19/1/2012 3:30:52 PM   
Timon

So was the new series ever shot? Is it going ahead?

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 14
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 20/1/2012 10:32:26 AM   
sanchia

Purefoy is definitely out, and it looks like the project is dead.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 18/1/2013 11:59:02 AM   
Timon

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=97931

Awww. It's going all American. HOWEVER Sir Roger may be cameoing!

http://blog.saint.org/

< Message edited by Timon -- 18/1/2013 12:00:40 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 16
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 18/1/2013 6:18:15 PM   
princessa

Thanks for the update Timon...so sad the james purefoy didn't do it. I may watch this...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 17
The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 3/4/2013 1:40:08 PM   
Timon

I'll be honest, it looks quite fun - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhEI_jDRZw8

But you know the Roger Moore cameo will be the best thing about it.

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 18
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 6/6/2013 3:23:09 PM   
Cruisecontroller

Looks good to me.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 19
RE: The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! - 6/6/2013 6:36:37 PM   
sanchia

It looks like it may have that tongue in cheek Hawaii Five-O quality to it. I will certainly be giving it a try.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Saint - Simon Templar Returns! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI