Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Southland Tales

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Southland Tales Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Southland Tales - 5/1/2009 12:20:59 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I really enjoyed this - fair enough it's flawed, they've tried to stuff in too many ideas and made it all a bit confusing but it had a feel about it that I really warmed to - I'd much rather see people take risks with something different as opposed to sticking to the script and making completely forgettable Hollywood fodder.

The Rock was a bit of a weak point though - I think he's actually an ok actor overall but for some reason he seemed out of place in this movie. Maybe he was a bit too normal and the role needed something with a bit more life in it?

Apart from that it was commendably strange, the sci-fi, comedy, political beat down of the Republicans etc. etc. mixed together into a really interesting concoction.

I think it could have done with a bigger budget - I'd like to have seen what could have been achieved with a $100 million thrown at it.

(in reply to lamby)
Post #: 61
RE: Southland Tales - 5/1/2009 12:39:57 PM   
raithrover

I really enjoyed Southland Tales, Kelly had to make some changes in order to finish it but overall its an enjoyable ride. I'd really like to see his original cut sometime, but we'll have to make do with The Box later this year. Looking forward to that film.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 62
RE: Southland Tales - 5/1/2009 12:57:00 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I wouldn't mind seeing the original cut out of interest either - I dunno why but the ending reminded me of Repo Man - maybe it was all the glowing and vehicles taking off

(in reply to raithrover)
Post #: 63
RE: Southland Tales - 5/1/2009 2:52:10 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I wouldn't mind seeing the original cut out of interest either - I dunno why but the ending reminded me of Repo Man - maybe it was all the glowing and vehicles taking off

Repo Man rules!
is this as good?

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 64
RE: Southland Tales - 5/1/2009 3:00:08 PM   
lamby

quote:

As mentioned the ORIGINAL cut (ie The Cannes cut) is now showing on Sky movies (Sky Indie). It was on yesterday as well actually.

You can also find it on youtube under Southland tales Cannes Cut.

Post #: 65
RE: Southland Tales - 5/1/2009 3:20:57 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: lamby

quote:

but is it better?
might watch it on youtube then when i have some free time.
As mentioned the ORIGINAL cut (ie The Cannes cut) is now showing on Sky movies (Sky Indie). It was on yesterday as well actually.

You can also find it on youtube under Southland tales Cannes Cut.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to lamby)
Post #: 66
RE: Southland Tales - 5/1/2009 3:40:38 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

quote:

Repo Man rules!
is this as good?

Actually I haven't seen Repo Man for 10 years so the only bit that reminded me of it was literally the glowing and vehicles floating off

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 67
RE: Southland Tales - 5/1/2009 9:14:39 PM   
lamby

The more I think about it, the better this film gets.

Also, did Richard Kelly predict the future? Wireless electricity (ie Fluid Karma) is one step closer lol

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/41872

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 68
RE: Southland Tales - 8/1/2009 10:28:14 AM   
Bondurant

I did not enjoy this movie and do not have the inclination to work out the point of it, it was just too messy and ultimately boring but....I admire Kelly's ambition if not the execution and look forward to his next endeavour. I think the intention was to fill in the gaps in the movie with other media etc and I think that day will come but Kelly was too early and the gen. pop couldn't be arsed. When it all goes tits up on the zeppelin (and it had been falling backwards since the opening credits mind) it was almost as if Kelly had been watching the first cut and went "this is ***ked, Donnie Darko was popular let's make the end like that!!!" and he failed at that too

Messy mmessy ,,e,,mmeesssy ,,,,ememmeeesy mmeeessyyy

MESSY mesysy meesssy ,e,messy pish

(in reply to lamby)
Post #: 69
- 5/5/2009 10:43:18 PM   
SkullKassidy

Smart and sometimes brilliant, let down by the fact that it's a fucking mess!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 70
RE: - 4/8/2009 4:29:53 AM   
kingoftheducks

I've begun writing a regular feature on 'Guilty Pleasures' for a website, and Southland Tales was one of the first to bring to mind, and I think it's actually one of my guiltiest of guilty pleasures because I actually don't like the film... it's a hard one to explain without repeating my article, so here's the article:

http://www.battleroyalewithcheese.com/2009/07/guilty-pleasures-southland-tales.html

Read my Cinema Diary here:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/opinion/blogs/brighton_film_blogs/profile/34700/

Watch films I've made here:
http://www.youtube.com/kingoftheducks

Buy My Novel PSYWORM at www.firsttimepublishers.com PLEASE!

(in reply to SkullKassidy)
Post #: 71
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Southland Tales Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI