Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Southland Tales.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Southland Tales. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Southland Tales. - 28/3/2008 5:18:20 PM   
nc_jj

I really enjoyed the dancing scene. Besides it has some beautiful music by Moby, but, I have a question.
When it's gonna be relased on DVD?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
So sad to see so much hate - 31/3/2008 7:13:28 PM   
Ethanial

Finally, finally, saw the film, desperate but a little hesitant, and it was brilliant, I loved it so much, I can see why people wouldn't enjoy it, but all the negative reviews seem quite sad for a movie of this calibre.

Post #: 32
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 1/4/2008 1:18:58 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Wow, now I aint the sharpest tool in the box by a long shot but I had no issues understanding the plot of this film. It was easy enough for me to follow so Im a little surprised some peeps had difficulty with it.

After hearing some really poor reactions to the film I was expecting this to be a huge turd and I love Kelly so I was delighted it was anything but. It could actually be a straight sequel to Donnie Darko, both films share many similar theme's such as the 4th dimension and rifts leading to parallell realities. Really intresting stuff and hey it get's you thinking.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 33
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 1/4/2008 2:45:03 AM   
zombiemaster

I thought this movie was confusing and was trying to hard to be a cult movie. It took me a while to understand what was actual going on. But understood in the end but dont ask me to explain it. I thought the rock was brilliant in this movie. Most people dont like him but i thought he was good and sean william scott. The only character that annoyed me is that guy who looked like a frog .

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 34
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 1/4/2008 11:10:38 PM   
lamby

I cant emphasise enough how much better this film is if you read the prequel saga books. I know films should not require further reading material before hand but in the end this was Richard Kelly's intention of crossing different mediums.

I'm currently onto the third part of the books and it seriously explains so much about the characters. The most important character development in these books is that of Krysta Now's.

I have to admit on first viewing i was disappointed. I thought a lot of the characters were too OTT. However, intrigue sets in and you begin to think about the whole idea of the film. It's link to the book of revelation is fascinating.

When you begin to peel away the layers of this film you start to realise how good it actually is. It does has it flaws but the overall its a film everyone really needs to watch two or three more times to really appreciate it.  Shame it will go down as a major disaster for Kelly.

(in reply to zombiemaster)
Post #: 35
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 2/4/2008 10:52:45 AM   
The REAL Bozz

I know what you mean about Kelly's intentions and I did enjoy the film but I don't think you should ever have to go out and buy graphic novels to get the complete experience of a movie. It should be all contained in the film.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to lamby)
Post #: 36
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 2/4/2008 1:59:01 PM   
lamby

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

I know what you mean about Kelly's intentions and I did enjoy the film but I don't think you should ever have to go out and buy graphic novels to get the complete experience of a movie. It should be all contained in the film.

I agree, but in the end this was the directors intention.His full idea was to have these books, then the internet progressing the story, then finally the film. If you read his interviews during the production stage of the film he made this intent clear from the start. Now, as you say a film should be self contained, but if you look at it differently this film is a sequel to the books. In the end he could have made two films but chose to do books instead and then one film. It is the viewer's choice not to read the books as they are quite easy to find.

Ultimately its where the film failed and im not going to say whether its right or wrong. All i can say i have now read the books and watched the film its went from an average film to a very enjoyable film with some very creative and big ideas.

Post #: 37
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 2/4/2008 3:11:40 PM   
kingoftheducks

Saw this at the cinema last year, a little surprised to see that I haven't spouted off about it here already, but, basically, my problem with the film was that though it was a mess it wasn't as crazy a mess as it really needed to to be a 'cult' classic... it was too safe in many regards, it was like a mainstream remake of 'Repo Man' but without the real punk-rock verve or satirical edge of that film... it was a great dissapointment as the trailers looked superb.  I had high and low hopes going in, either it would've been a lost gem or so-bad-its-genius, but, alas it was just a dissapointing soggy mess... loved the scenes with Dwayne Johnson and Sean William Scott though, thought Scott was the standout of the film actually...

I think there's a great film in this trying to get out, but it needed a heck of a lot of work.

Read my Cinema Diary here:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/opinion/blogs/brighton_film_blogs/profile/34700/

Watch films I've made here:
http://www.youtube.com/kingoftheducks

Buy My Novel PSYWORM at www.firsttimepublishers.com PLEASE!

(in reply to lamby)
Post #: 38
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 2/4/2008 5:09:46 PM   
lamby

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingoftheducks

Saw this at the cinema last year, a little surprised to see that I haven't spouted off about it here already, but, basically, my problem with the film was that though it was a mess it wasn't as crazy a mess as it really needed to to be a 'cult' classic... it was too safe in many regards, it was like a mainstream remake of 'Repo Man' but without the real punk-rock verve or satirical edge of that film... it was a great dissapointment as the trailers looked superb.  I had high and low hopes going in, either it would've been a lost gem or so-bad-its-genius, but, alas it was just a dissapointing soggy mess... loved the scenes with Dwayne Johnson and Sean William Scott though, thought Scott was the standout of the film actually...

I think there's a great film in this trying to get out, but it needed a heck of a lot of work.

Just out of curiosity have you read the books?? Im not going to say you are wrong but every single character in the film we appear completely different if you have! Regardless of what people say, but for me this film does not stand alone well without the books. Yes, obviously this is a major flaw to the film in its own right, but the books for me are essential reading towards the film.

(in reply to kingoftheducks)
Post #: 39
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 2/4/2008 6:52:38 PM   
The REAL Bozz

This aint a film you can change people's minds about dude. It's a love it or hate it kind of film regardless of how much the universe is expanded outiside of the film.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to lamby)
Post #: 40
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 2/4/2008 7:24:21 PM   
kingoftheducks

I haven't read the books, think I might have read a portion of one online, but only a few pages and it seemed to cover ground that was touched on enough in the movie for my mind to fill in the blanks.  I did not find the film complex, I just found it really dull, it was not the story or the characters but the editing and the direction - which often felt like an episode of Sunset Beach!  I thought the cast was especially game, though some cast members were a touch out-of-place, this could be due to the fact that the film merged genres and was sometimes a little uncertain of what exactly it was attempting and when.

I felt it was the kind of ambitious, strange, surreal, post-apocalyptic film that most film geeks/students could so easily make if given the freedom, but, in this regard Kelly lacked the skill or, merely perhaps, the inspiration and confidence to pull off what he imagined this time around.  I am still curious about the film and if, as rumoured, the Cannes cut does see the light of day I would love to watch it.  Though the graphic novels still hold no appeal to me.  I have read about the theory behind the film's story, and generally it was kind of convoluted religous allegory and didn't make me want to rush back and see the film again, but, did make me understand the - rather simple and obvious - basis that Kelly was drawing from.

Read my Cinema Diary here:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/opinion/blogs/brighton_film_blogs/profile/34700/

Watch films I've made here:
http://www.youtube.com/kingoftheducks

Buy My Novel PSYWORM at www.firsttimepublishers.com PLEASE!

Post #: 41
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 2/4/2008 11:55:33 PM   
lamby

quote:

This aint a film you can change people's minds about dude. It's a love it or hate it kind of film regardless of how much the universe is expanded outiside of the film.

Im not trying to change anyone's mind. Im saying FACT there are books that make this film a hell of a lot more enjoyable. It aint rocket science! If you want to read them and then watch it the film really does take on a different dimension. Im saying alone the film has it;s big flaws, with the books these flaws diminsh to a large degree.

< Message edited by lamby -- 3/4/2008 12:00:21 AM >

Post #: 42
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 3/4/2008 12:44:30 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Sorry man, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was acuseing you of that. I get what your saying I just mean that the people who never liked it wouldn't be likely to go through the hassle of seeking out and purchaseing the prequel comics. Good call though as fan's can find out more about the world. Yet I would advise anyone who is curious to just check out the FAQ for Southland Tales on the imdb or go to wikipedia. You shouldn't really have to go out and buy a bloody comic to get the FULL experience.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to lamby)
Post #: 43
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 3/4/2008 9:07:15 PM   
lamby

quote:

Sorry man, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was acuseing you of that. I get what your saying I just mean that the people who never liked it wouldn't be likely to go through the hassle of seeking out and purchaseing the prequel comics. Good call though as fan's can find out more about the world. Yet I would advise anyone who is curious to just check out the FAQ for Southland Tales on the imdb or go to wikipedia. You shouldn't really have to go out and buy a bloody comic to get the FULL experience.

I didnt buy the books...im sure you can guess how i got them hehe. They are quite easily to find.

The story unfortunately is too big to tell in one film unfortunately. Im quite intrigued about the initial directors cut that debuted at Cannes! 3 hrs plus apparantly.

PS I think Empire Admin went crazy with the new review posts!

< Message edited by lamby -- 3/4/2008 9:08:13 PM >

Post #: 44
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 4/4/2008 8:52:06 AM   
Lightfoot

I haven't read the books, I don't intend to ever, and I loved the film.

A much better attempt than, say, Wim Wenders' At the End of the World.

(in reply to lamby)
Post #: 45
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 5/4/2008 12:24:08 PM   
lamby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lightfoot

I haven't read the books, I don't intend to ever, and I loved the film.

A much better attempt than, say, Wim Wenders' At the End of the World.

I cant recommend them enough. If you loved the film as it is, it will certainly enrich your experience. PM me if you want them.

(in reply to Lightfoot)
Post #: 46
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 5/4/2008 11:31:17 PM   
skeletonjack

I've just watched this on DVD tonight and thought it was a muddled mess of a film. Tonally it's all over the place, and at times you do find yourself wondering what the hell is going on.
Despite this though there was something about it I liked, though I can't quite put my finger on what it was. I was always engaged by it and keen to find out what was going to happen next. I can understand fully that people will hate this, but I didn't, I thought it was a glorious failure.
3 Stars

(in reply to lamby)
Post #: 47
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 29/5/2008 2:35:18 PM   
kumar

Overlong, boring, confusing, uninteresting. And all i wanted to see was Sarah Gellars breasts. for me it was a total waste of time. avoid.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 48
RE: Southland Tales - 31/5/2008 2:10:27 PM   
morg1138

watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Not as bad as some have had it out to be.

We've got to start thinking beyond our guns. Those days are closin' fast.

Post #: 49
amazing - 8/6/2008 7:35:24 PM   
liem_D@yahoo.com.au

the title says it all

Post #: 50
Bat shit crazy! - 10/6/2008 1:03:20 PM   
jimoakley666

But what can I say? I love it. And I'm just starting to 'get' it.

Post #: 51
RE: Bat shit crazy! - 4/8/2008 1:00:18 PM   
vader100

OK, watched this last night. Not sure what it is meant to be. Is it a statement on American foreign policy or just a step further into Lynch territory after Donnie Darko? I enjoyed DD, watching and the dissection afterwards but this was just unintelligble rubbish at times. I give it 2/5 for the initial setup was interesting but it soon descended into a mish mash of strange characters and wayward story telling. 

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to jimoakley666)
Post #: 52
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 6/11/2008 1:58:59 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

Wow, now I aint the sharpest tool in the box by a long shot but I had no issues understanding the plot of this film. It was easy enough for me to follow so Im a little surprised some peeps had difficulty with it.

After hearing some really poor reactions to the film I was expecting this to be a huge turd and I love Kelly so I was delighted it was anything but. It could actually be a straight sequel to Donnie Darko, both films share many similar theme's such as the 4th dimension and rifts leading to parallell realities. Really intresting stuff and hey it get's you thinking.

I agree on this.

I've just watched it. It may be long and a bit messed up but I thought it was great. I was expecting to be dissapointed but I love it as much as Donnie Darko.

And as for the comparisons, you missed being shot in the eyeball.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 53
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 6/11/2008 2:37:56 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

This film is even worse than Donnie Darko. Congratulations Universe, you have me using a sentence i never thought I'd utter! Southland Tales IMO was an absolutely excrutiating watch, but no doubt film students all across the country are spending hours dissecting the meaning of nothing, searching for existentialism through a haze bong smoke....

And as someone has pointed above, any movie that requires external material to fully understand is already heavily flawed.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 54
RE: So sad to see so much hate - 6/11/2008 4:14:54 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

This film is even worse than Donnie Darko. Congratulations Universe, you have me using a sentence i never thought I'd utter! Southland Tales IMO was an absolutely excrutiating watch, but no doubt film students all across the country are spending hours dissecting the meaning of nothing, searching for existentialism through a haze bong smoke....

And as someone has pointed above, any movie that requires external material to fully understand is already heavily flawed.

That's true, but that doesn't apply to Donnie Darko and Southland Tales.

Reason: Donnie Darko makes perfect sense in and of itself. I'm not talking about the Science Fiction aspect of it, because it's just a MacGuffin. Donnie's story, his emotional journey, does not need a website to explain it; it's there, and it's wonderful. I personally can't be bothered figuring out every single quirk of the film and its "meaning", and in the end that would ruin the experience of watching the film.

Southland Tales is a treat for the senses, and, again, the science fiction aspect is just to drive the characters and to provide further sources for gratuitous weirdness (which is great), so the film can progress in some way. It's not really important overall.

Is anyone seriously sitting down and picking apart Inland Empire?

Didn't think so.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 55
Cannes Version / General Release Version (SPOILERS!) - 11/11/2008 12:10:35 PM   
Dibder Booth

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but Sky Movies are actually showing the Cannes cut (Janeane Garofalo has dialogue, the special effects clearly aren't finished, Nora Dunn and John Larroquette kiss! The Rock's tattoos DO NOT bleed into an image of Christ!!) and it is worth checking out just to compare it with the general release cut. Essentially, the same differences between the two cuts are similar to those between the original cut and the redux cut of Donnie Darko; one is more open to interpretation and audience objectification whilst the other is a little more didactic and offers a semblance of explanation.

Because of this, from a pretentious film geek point of view anyway, I much prefer the Cannes version rather than the edited release with its flashy graphics and its attempts at a more flippant tone (especially with regards to the Megazeppelin's announcements near the end). I thought the finale with Seann William Scott (who was surprisingly affecting) retianed more power without knowing that the red Fluid Karma was telepathically linking him to Justin Timberlake(!). Also, at least half of Wallace Shawn's funnier lines were cut ("You've already killed yourself once, there's no point in doing it all again!") and the order of most of the scenes has changed drastically. Having said that, the theatrical release looks SOOOO much better now that the transfer and all of the effects are finished, and some of the casting is still highly questionable (The Rock and Cheri Oteri in particular).

As for what it's all about... well, I think its one of the better movies about Iraq and its poor veterans made so far.

Post #: 56
- 11/11/2008 5:54:23 PM   
willchadwick

Awful, it is boring, incomprehenisble, pretentious and a pointless waste of my time

Post #: 57
RE: Southland Tales - 27/12/2008 10:57:28 PM   
lamby

Has anyone watched the version of the film that is currently on sky?

They have been screening the cannes version of the film!

Its actually quite different. The cut scenes makes the film a lot better in regards to making it feel like they are building towards something. Additionally there are scenes placed in a completely different part of the film. In intro of film is completely different as well. Also the extended scenes help make more sense of Roland taverners role in regards to the Baron.

Post #: 58
RE: Southland Tales - 30/12/2008 11:12:30 PM   
Ethanial

Saw the cut on youtube, was wondering how someone got it until the end when over the non-musical credits an announcer talks about Sky movie channels, amazing.
Gotta admit, Timberlake's sarcastic voice over was more enjoyable, the longer run time felt right, and I loved that they had the hand finger agreement scene before the titles this time.
And the slow build up of info instead of the 4 minute info overload of the theatrical cut was far better, but I love the film anyway.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to lamby)
Post #: 59
RE: Southland Tales - 4/1/2009 3:58:14 PM   
lamby

For me I think the definitive version lies somewhere between the two versions. The one thing I found with the Cannes cut were the poorly places songs that were used alot more effectively in the theatrical cut. For example Blur's tender randomly used during the scene where Ronald Taverner and Marin Kefauver pullled the cash machine from the wall. Also, the use of Elbow's 'Forget Myself' during the scene where Boxer is talking to Serpentine seemed out of place.

It was similar to Donnie Darko really. The songs in the theatrical cut were alot more effective than the use of tracks in the directors cut. In the DC it just seemed songs were shoved in anywhere to fit in as many songs.

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Southland Tales. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI